What Are You Playing This Weekend?

Lucky you, RPS readers – there’s a whole other weekend that started just today! I know, only five days after the last one! What a time to be alive. And what’s it for? World peace? Scientific research? Reading?! No: games. Much like last week I’m interested in what you’ll be taking your keyboard-hammer and mouse-sickle to over the next 48 hours and whether it’s the good, the bad or the 480p. If you’re unsure what might be worthy of your time, I’ve got some suggestions, plus a quick glance at what’s going down in the world of streaming this weekend.

I picked up Abyss Odyssey in a sale this week, so that’ll be taking a few hours. It’s the latest work by ACE Team, the fellows behind the weird, wonderful and slightly wonky Zeno Clash series. It’s part fighting game, part platformer as you descend into the titular hell-pit to deal with a warlock who’s dreams have formed the monsters within – and yourself. I wrote about my excitement for it around release and that has stayed with me. Discovering your own combos is great as is the constant feeling of progression, but it’s a game that makes no effort to explain itself so I’m still exploring systems and choices. Definitely feels like something I’ll play for an hour or so every day for a while, which is fine value.

I’m also continuing a love affair with Marvel Puzzle Quest. The F2P barriers are beginning to show more than they were twenty or so play-hours ago but I’m still making progress through the campaign every day. I’ve worked out a new combination of heroes (Hawkeye, Storm and a rotating third of Magneto, Daken or a dinosaur) that makes fights against NPCs that can’t move blocks much easier. MPQ rarely gets my full attention, accompanying stream-watching, podcast-listening or TV-enjoying but it is excellent for half-distracted gaming. If I’m bored of it by next week I won’t be surprised, but it will have done well for zero investment on my part.

There’s probably some stuff on this weekend that isn’t the League of Legends World Championship Grand Finals, but it’s all anyone’s going to be talking about. Quite likely to break most e-sports and livestreaming records, the finals coverage starts at 06:30 tomorrow Brit-time (everyone else: bookmark this and work it out). It’ll be a best of five kicking off after an hour or so of pre-show between Korean powerhouse Samsung Galaxy White and Chinese team Star Horn Royal Club. The jury’s still out on whether I’ll be setting an early alarm or dodging spoilers for twelve hours until the rebroadcast later in the evening. There are more details from Riot here, and Pip is there to write words for the site over the next week.

Chances are it won’t take too many more glances at The Evil Within before I want to give it a shot, but with Alien: Isolation still remaining mostly unplayed I’m locked in a procrastination loop. Is it on your gore-splattered plate for this weekend, readers, or something less horrifying? Any League-hype? Let us know below.

1. Pich says:

I’m replaying Borderlands 2 as Gaige with Japanese voices so that my ears don’t bleed form the “comedy”.

• Stellar Duck says:

Gearbox has a unique idea about what constitutes “comedy”. :( Really, they suck at it.

• MykulJaxin says:

I was constantly laughing in the first game, and wasn’t as amused in the second. I really didn’t think Tina was funny. At all. I winced whenever she opened her mouth. Am I getting old and crotchety?

• Geebs says:

I quaver to think what the minimum age for old and crotchety is these days. I guess it’s a case of think of a number and triplet. Ok, ok, I’ll give it a rest.

• Shadowcat says:

Probably for the best; I’d hate for the staff to bar you.

• derbefrier says:

nah that character was just really annoying.

• zentropy says:

Nah, Borderlands 2 was really In Your Face about how hilarious it was. I didn’t make it very far before I got the uninstall upgrade. :/

• tehfish says:

Just different tastes really.

I thought BL 2 was orders of magnitude better than BL1, just hits my sense of humour :) But everyone is different.

• dysomniak says:

Sucks to be you, I love the writing in those games. Spending this weekend playing the Pre-Sequel.

• tehfish says:

Always interesting how different peoples tastes are.
      Personally i found gaige to be the best character in the series by a country mile… Actually pretty disappointed i can’t play her in the pre-sequel…

Andy_Panthro says:

I will be trying to fix my broken PC (hopefully a new PSU will do!), and failing that I’ll be playing Torchlight 2 on my laptop.

• Traipse says:

Same here. Spent all day playing “go back and forth between home and the computer shop, replacing components until something works”. I don’t recommend that game. It’s long, overpriced, and has a far too long name.

cairbre says:

Sounds very grindy and full of fetch quests

Andy_Panthro says:

Well, changing the PSU had no effect, I’m really confused now. It is beyond my ability to fix I think. Stuck on an old laptop for the near future (but thankfully it’ll still run some games!).

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, my old XP-era retrogaming box decided to not stay on for more than a second yesterday. Helpful.

3. Luciferous says:

I’m going to tinker around with a few F2P games – Neverwinter and Warframe as a way of procrastinating from working on my own design documents.

• Ben Barrett says:

I convinced myself Neverwinter was brilliant when I played it for a couple of weeks years back. It never ran very well on my PC at the time, which was why I stopped, but it did a lot of things pretty well. Dunno how it compares to Wildstar and other more modern stuff tho.

• Bassem says:

If you want company while discovering Warframe, my in-game name is Bassem, feel free to add me.

4. Gap Gen says:

Unfortunately I actually need to do some scientific research. Yay.

• Ben Barrett says:

That isn’t very video games at all :(

• Gap Gen says:

Well, the stuff I have to do today is proof-reading, which does full-time suck, but my main job is coding and running simulations, which are basically huge videogames. Plus I got up at midday and have mainly been watching cartoons and playing Minecraft, so it’s not all bad.

• Geebs says:

I can go one better than that. Planning research is probably worse than actually doing it.

(which is why I’ve mostly been playing Gunpoint instead)

• Gap Gen says:

Is this “planning” the same as stumbling blindly until you feel compelled to publish? Because if not I’m not sure what you’re referring to.

zapatapon says:

What about the post-research part — preparing a report, presentation or poster for evaluation by your funding source in order to convince them that what you’ve been discovering so far is so amazing that they simply must continue to fund you? Yeah, that’s what I am doing this weekend.

• Joshua Northey says:

You think that is bad I am spending the weekend reading and auditing other people’s reports/budgets. Not exactly riveting. I Have got a little Wasteland 2 in and played with the kid.

5. Spacewalk says:

I found I still had one Diablo 2 character that I hadn’t yet beaten Normal with so I sorted that out. Tomorrow will be that bit of Hard Reset I was supposed to on Wednesday but didn’t and there’s a couple of non-PC things that I had to dig out of the closet since I was stacking boxes and needed the space.

6. christmas duck says:

I’ve finished a load of work and can finally let myself game after months of not…plan is to boot up the copy of Lone Survivor I bought a year ago as my Halloween game but not back out of playing like the giant giant coward I am this time.

• zentropy says:

Yes! Make sure you have the Director’s Cut version (it’s free). Also, thanks for the reminder. :)

7. Stellar Duck says:

Due to a massive hangover today I doubt I’ll be up for anything requiring reflexes or fast thinking. I’m toying with the idea of loading up a Paradox game. The pace seems fitting.

Tomorrow, if I get the time, I’ll do a couple of hours in DCS A-10c as I’ve been slacking on that as well as progress Alien Isolation some more. Seem to have hit a slump.

8. Dilapinated says:

I’m waiting on a replacement gaming PC at the moment, and given I’m pretty tired of the options my laptop can run, I’ve dug out my old PS2. So this weekend I will be replaying Rez,Earth Defence Force, Psychonauts, Okami & God Hand. ..Especially God Hand.

9. Pan Vidla says:

I don’t even know how many times I’ve tried to beat Uplink and this time around I’m really hopeful. I also tried to play a bit of GRID 2 and Don’t Starve that are free on Steam this weekend.

• Ben Barrett says:

There is a very strange, very good LP of Uplink that I’ve always wondered exactly how true to the plot it was. Warning: takes some turns into problematic territory, from what I remember. It’s been a long time since I read it.

10. The Sombrero Kid says:

Having blown through shadow of mordor and alien isolation I’m currently enjoying evil within and will probably play most of it this weekend to clear the way for civ next week and my awesome backlog, games like endless legend and wasteland 2. What an amazing end to what was up until October quite a slow year for games.

11. noom says:

As i spilled a large vodka and tonic on my overpriced mechanical keyboard last night (which is now decidedly non-functional) my options are limited. so mainly just shadow of mordor i guess… (writing this with on-screen keyboard if you were wondering)

12. trn says:

Picked up Zeno Clash 2 for £2 on Steam. Enjoying it, a lot. It doesn’t give you any help or guidance, just allows you to revel in wandering round lost in an alien and hostile world punching creatures in the face.

Waltorious says:

Zeno Clash 2 is indeed awesome. I’m don’t know why it didn’t get better reviews. Possibly my favorite part is the optional and repeatable tutorial that let me get back in the hang of doing cool combos if I got rusty.

Oakreef says:

I’ve been playing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for GameCube. Before you cry out sacrilege I’ve been playing it on the Dolphin emulator on my PC. It’s awesome to be able to play it in 1920×1080 (well it’s 4:3 with black bars but close enough). It’s a huge improvement and it’s funny how much detail there is in some places that you just can’t really see at all in the original resolution. Other parts of the game look pretty bad though. The tiling on the grass and ground textures is pretty awful. Being able to play it with something other than a GameCube controller is also nice.

I also finished Prototype which was a pretty fun psychopathic power fantasy. Being able to easily pick up a car, run up a skyscraper, backflip and throw it at a helicopter is pretty fun. It’s also nice that they made firearms reasonably powerful rather than forcing you to only use powers.

I’ve also been downloading some of my GOG library (Rainbow Six, Ultima Underworld, Blackwell) in preparation of starting them.

• RedViv says:

The Dolphin emulator has made LEAPS in the last few months, and much of that thanks to one lady who only recently joined the team. Cheers, Fiora.

Because of that, I have been digging up my second playthrough of Xenoblade, and I don’t think I can go back to the Wii version because the HD tech and texture replacers are SO GOOOOOD.

(Other than that I will probably Waste more land too, and isolate an alien.)

• Person of Interest says:

I didn’t realize there was much room for improvement with Dolphin. Are you talking about performance improvements, compatibility, or features? And are these improvements only available in development builds? How do you keep up to date with the “good” build? (Or are the development builds generally stable?)

• RedViv says:

Both performance AND compatibility, actually. Only available in the dev builds, of course, and I usually just take the ones that are closest to the start of the month and the newest progress report on their blog, then check the few games that I would play for problems. Xenoblade went from running okay-ish with an average 25fps over ten minutes to now nearly always sticking to the 30 max (best most fluid due to engine sync) with only a slight drop during the start of each fight, and that on my very average rig.

Here’s a nice article on that awesome person responsible for a few really big jumps.

Oakreef says:

I love reading the monthly blog posts where they talk about what’s improved. I think Fiora is a wizard.

Also another really cool feature is the free camera. I love looking around the maps beyond the boundries the player is stuck in. In Twilight Princess in particular Hyrule Field has a bunch of open planes that the player can’t really get to and is bigger than the map screen makes it look (the map screen is only accurate to gameplay areas, the geography of the land is quite different)

14. Telkir says:

I’m hopping between Legend of Grimrock 2 (for the love of kittens, it’s bloody massive) and pootling around in the WoW starter pack (probably to subscribe sooner or later… sooner if Blizz will do a holiday battle chest sale?)

15. drussard says:

Finishing another playthrough of Divinity: Original Sin then probably scampering over to another fantasy rpg while I’m on that kick. Maybe a new weird restriction Skyrim play or a fresh Dragon Age play.

16. harperrb says:

Legend of Grimrock 2, which is just spectacular with breaks of Mordor.

• LexxieJ says:

LoG 2 for me as well, interspersed with Alien:Isolation and Elite:Dangerous.

Now if only Grimrock had some silly colon-ed subtitle too…

17. Kefren says:

I downloaded a pile of GOG games I had completed (and hidden) wit ha specific challenge – one game of each. When I die, it is over, end of story, uninstall. It makes each game suddenly have value again, suddenly tell a story (usually of loss and failure) that makes each one stand out, even games that in themselves are mediocre.

So far I have enjoyed Another World, FTL, Jagged alliance: Deadly Games, Postal, 7th Legion, and Slender.

To go: Don’t Starve and Out Of Hell (UT2004 zombie mod).

• Shadowcat says:

That sounds like a fascinating way to deal with the Backlog Problem.

• Kefren says:

Ha ha, I did worry about going back into games I had cleared from the backlog! Yet, strangely, I’ve had more fun from them this weekend than I remember in a long time. I really feel the urge to go back to Another world and JA:DG now (once you get over the interface in the latter).

• Person of Interest says:

I would never have considered playing my old games that way. On the one hand, it’s like adding hardcore mode to any game, which to me sounds stressful. Or from a more whimsical perspective, you could call it coin-op mode, where installing the game is like getting one credit.

• Kefren says:

The difference is that hardcore modes generally make the game hard but with the challenge of trying and trying until you win or give up. In this case I really imagined I was the main character, doing their best to survive, but facing up to the reality that it wasn’t going to happen. Reminds me more of my C64 days, where you would load a game (taking 5-10 minutes?) then just play it a few times, savour the flavour of it, then load another one. Rarely would I play and play until I won (though I’m proud that I did that with Antiriad, and Ghosts N Goblins).

Carra says:

You probably spent more time downloading FTL than playing it then :)

I have started playing Europa Universalis in Ironman mode: no reloads. Makes for a whole different game. When I used to be in a loosing war, I’d just reload. Now I have to work something out and *gasp*, even give up some land form time to time. I shall have my revenge… one day.

• Kefren says:

Actually, I had a good run in an Osprey, with its powerful beam weapon. A good crew backed me up, but eventually I got taken down by ships that had more shields than my base weapons could touch, and missiles that pounded me to pieces.

18. Tams80 says:

I’m playing Warframe. I don’t know why, as I find it rather boring with the same few levels, the unending grind, the dark atmosphere, and worst of all the difficulty in actually finding people to play with.

I’m also starting Sleeping Dogs again. Not the definitve version though, as I saw some of the comparisons and prefer the original for some reason (though I would like the increased world population).

• Ben Barrett says:

A podcast I listen to (the VideogamerUK one, which is excellent and I recommend ONCE YOU’VE ALREADY LISTENED TO THE RPS ONE, OF COURSE) was saying that the original PC version was just straight up better than the definitive edition. Might have meant in comparison to the console versions of same, tho.

• Tams80 says:

Hum, I’ll check it out.

The PC Definitive edition appears to make it feel like the world is more lived in, by increasing the number of NPCs and objects in game. From what I’ve see it works. They’ve also redone some textures and added more animations (some objects now break when used in combat).

That said, I don’t like some of the character redesigns (a DVD seller is now a though guy selling electronics), the ground textures appear to be very shiny, and the ‘smog’ they’ve added seems to just make the game less pleasant . All the updates also apparently come with a significant performance penalty, which when playing on a laptop is not bearable. Well, at least I’m not going to hand over the money they want for it to find out.

• Bassem says:

Feel free to add me in Warframe (name: Bassem) to play together. I’m a high-level player and I love playing along with newcomers and giving backup or tips.

19. yonsito says:

Valdis Story – Abyssal City.
    I bought it together with other games in some bundle deal and rediscovered it recently. It’s really charming.

• Person of Con says:

I really like the way it lets you learn the complexity of controls at your own pace. I’m near the end, and I think I still haven’t gotten parrying quite right, but there are playing styles that let move past that, if I want.

On the other hand, a full world map of places explored would be nice.

20. Perkelnik says:

Im gonna be playing “Build your own PC: Haswell Refresh Edition”, as soon as I get together after the last night’s session of “Drink many beers (+the Morgan and Cola DLC)”

21. Borodin says:

“mouse-sickle” — “Mousicle”? A new, rodent-flavoured game-pop?

Thanks for the reminder of Marvel Puzzle Quest though. I “bought” it a few days ago and all it needs now is for me to clean out my disk space so that it will fit.

I also found Battlefront.com‘s Down in Flames in a charity shop last week. It sounds like Sid Meier’s “Ace Patrol” duology that I played for about four hours but always felt I was missing something.

This will be a long weekend!

22. Person of Interest says:

I’ll be playing Metro 2033. I bought it four years ago (I had to look it up in my Steam account) but wasn’t satisfied with the performance, so set it aside until I got a better video card. Which I did this month, finally.

It’s startling to see my purchase history in Steam. I used to think I was pretty clever for buying games for $12.50 or so. (75% off!) But my 2014 purchase history consists of about 100 games imported from Humble Bundle and Humble Widgets, $0.49 for Adventures Of Shuggy, and $1.01 for Hexcells.

I hope the rest of you are keeping the games industry afloat with new purchases, because I’m apparently not…

• Pan Vidla says:

I don’t why you are looking at me, because I can’t recall the last time I paid more than €10 for a game.

Oakreef says:

I just spent >£30 buying Blade Runner, Fire Warrior and Boiling Point off eBay (most of that was for Blade Runner). Further proof that I should not be allowed to have money.

23. CookPassBabtridge says:

Out of curiosity, why do you want to know what we are playing Ben? Its to find out if we are cool isn’t it. I am not cool. I am playing FSX, Rod Machado flying lessons. Also the game called “waiting at 12:49 for DPD to deliver the effing package I paid them £18 to deliver at 12 so I could enjoy my weekend”.

• Ben Barrett says:

Nosiness, community, an excuse to tell you what I’M playing and something to read and comment on during work. All the magic is gone from this now, I hope you are happy.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I also like to take the fun out of christmas, halloween and childrens birthdays :)

I was curious if it feeds back into what RPS writes anout in general, like if everyone was chuffing about in train simulator maybe you would all go and hang out at Tims and wear british rail uniforms in order to do an RPS diary.

That may also be a feature I’ve been longing to see. Will become supporter for you lot in train hats :)

• Ben Barrett says:

Haha, I’ll pass it on.

I originally had the idea as a Saturday counterpart to The Sunday Papers (hence linking it in the opening paragraph of both so far) for both playing games and Twitch stuff. It means I’ll have somewhere to write about Blizzcon tournaments and League finals and EVO and MLGs and so on without taking up whole posts for them. I’m still thinking on how to expand that section and link to more things than just a couple of streams.

However, given the number of people who have taken to commenting (as I was hoping they would) it is also going to be very useful for finding out what’s hot, which could easily feed back into more writing about that thing just due to more exposure.

It’s all experimental at the moment, basically, but we’ll see where it goes. All my weekend stuff is also still freelance, so it’s entirely possible it would be all change if I were to stop doing it for whatever reason.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Well I like it and will try to be slightly less Victor Meldrew next time. DPD >:( On the upside, new graphics cards :D

24. Mittens89 says:

Well, I am spoilt for choice this weekend. Over in Nostalgia Corner I’ve got Dark Forces and Fallout 2 to finish off, I’ve got the Assetto Corsa Release Candidate to play around with some more (for those that dont know, we have a weekly hotlapping competition, and we also rent a server and race once/twice a week. Join us in the forum!) AND I’ve got fresh installs of both Tropico 3 and Wargame:European Escalation ready and raring to go. I haven’t played any game in either series, so im quite excited to start.

25. Shadowcat says:

I’ve been taking a stab at getting through Heavy Bullets without cheating. Thus far I have not found favour with the vending machine gods, but I’m not giving up yet.

• Shadowcat says:

Son of a… died in L8, and not even at the boss. I really do like this game, but it can be quite unforgiving. Damn it, I’d been quite optimistic about it…

26. jaheira says:

Eldritch Horror. This is excellent; it’s a tidied up Arkham. I appreciate the maximalism of Arkham’s design but I have to admit Eldritch feels much slicker to play.
    Alien Isolation. I cannot play this game for more than half an hour at a time or my heart will explode with terror so it’s gonna take a long time to finish.
    Magic the Gathering on MTGO.

• Rolento says:

Re Alien: I’m the same. I find it very stressful and end up playing Dark Souls 2 afterwards to calm down:)

• Ben Barrett says:

Good luck with MTGO. I kinda want to write about the problems it’s having, but it’s already been covered in so much detail by magic sites and I don’t know how relevant it would be here. Plus I barely used it even when it wasn’t a steaming pile, so I’m not exactly the best for it. More exposure to the problem might give Wizards a boot up the arse but I don’t feel like the problem is lack of care.

• Blackcompany says:

Cant speak for MTGO really. Last I tried it the online service was…serviceable. At best.

The game, on the other hand…where to begin. I played from the Urza block (late 90’s) up until the Gothic/Victorian Vampire/Werewolf block (which was awful). And you know what? Its been ten years since I have seen the game use a new mechanic.

Ten years.

Everything is just +1/+1 until end of turn. Or add a +1/+1 counter. Even the “flip card” Werewolves were just a repeat of cards from Kamigawa, using the front/back of the card (which was truly awful) as opposed to a split picture on a single side.

The game has grown so abysmally stagnant. If you played it in the last 5-10 years, you have already seen literally everything its doing now. Which is a shame, really. Some of the best world builders and character creationists in the gaming industry work for Wizards. Unfortunately, so do the “Old Guard” of developers like Mark ‘Nothing new to See Here’ Rosewater.

Wizards needs to shake things up in design and development really badly. There are so many good card games out there now in both the cardboard and digital worlds that I struggle to understand why anyone is still playing this one.

• Ben Barrett says:

I have never disagreed more thoroughly or completely with a comment that was actually about games than I do with this one.

• Blackcompany says:

To each their own. I dont mean to detract from another’s enjoyment of a game.

Being a (now former) long term player of MTG, though, the game just seems…stale. Stagnant. To me. Also, I frankly ceased to enjoy chasing rare cards in what is, in my opinion, very much a cardboard version of Pay (more) to win.

• Ben Barrett says:

Agree with that. It’s not even so much pay to win as pay to anything. The most common form of playing the game costs 10-20 pound and if you’re terrible you’re going to get beaten. If a game came out now with the same payment model as Magic it’d be lampooned and ignored.

• jaheira says:

I’ve been playing Magic since the late 90s and I am continually amazed by what Rosewater and co keep coming up with. It doesn’t seem stale to me at all.
          As for MTGO, well it’s not great, but nowhere near as terrible as it was. They’ll keep patching it. You’re absolutely right about the payment model of course, and I do think Wizards are going to have a fight on their hands re: Hearthstone migration pretty soon.

• Tiltowait says:

I don’t think many would argue that MTG was and is one of the best games ever made. I mostly have a problem with the online version in that it feels very clunky to me, like some old DOS game. In my opinion the software needs a complete overhaul with a Mac version included. The Magic 2015 game is so much more modern and better in user interface. Wizards of the Coast should let the Stainless dev team overhaul that turkey. Either that or merge them somehow.

27. Horg says:

Mostly the original Age of Empires. I got nostalgic for the music and was surprised to find that the game still works, just with a few direct draw glitches you can easily fix with compatibility toolkit or a fan patch. I’m hoping for that GoG copy of AvP to unlock soon as well, been needing that fix since Alien Isolation came out.

28. RPSRSVP says:

I was bouncing between the alienated shadow of Ethan Carter and company of a solar empire. Now I’m revisiting…Crysis. Going all out with downloading textures, mods, extending draw distance and Jack Bauer difficulty mode. While I’m having a great time it’s likely I’m subconsciously retaliating for the punishment my old PC endured when it first launched…

29. fish99 says:

More Skyrim with my no fast-travel playthrough. Really enjoying it.

The point of no fast travel is to get a better sense of the scale and layout of the world, and also to feel like you’re adventuring/exploring yourself, rather than just – get quest, fast travel, enter dungeon, complete quest, leave dungeon, fast travel, hand in quest. Each time you leave town it feels like more of a journey, and you’ll typically do several quests in an area* before returning to a town, to minimize the amount of travelling needed.

(* for this reason you leave every quest active so you can see them all on the map)

• Pan Vidla says:

Honestly, I am surprised that you actually bother with explaining why you don’t use fast travel. I really couldn’t play the game with it, since it not only breaks the immersion for me, but it also feels like I’m missing out on such a big part of the game.

• Rizlar says:

Ditto, never used fast travel, never wanted to use fast travel. The quests are crap in TES games anyway, it’s all about the journey and sense of place.

• Blackcompany says:

I do miss the sheer scale of Skyrim. I truly do. Now and then I sit down with Skyrim and some mods and swear this time I will enjoy it.

And I get involved in the combat, and…so much for enjoyment.

If only Bethesda could be bothered to make a real, enjoyable combat system for their games, you would likely never drag me away from one.

• Rizlar says:

To be honest I quite like the combat. It seems worth focusing on certain skills to define how you play.

Eg. my current playthrough is relying on a shield, 1h weapon and light armour. It means I’m pretty much always blocking, letting enemies attack then countering with shield bash interruptions or dodging heavy attacks and getting some blows in.

In a previous sneaky playthrough it was all about archery, until my sneak got high enough to ambush people with backstabs, but always running away and hiding in environments rather than going toe to toe. The final stealth perk ‘shadow warrior’ lets you drop into stealth even after being spotted, which suddenly makes big frontal assaults viable.

Never really got into using magic, but I expect you could combo it quite well with some of the combat skills. Archery is actually loads of fun, would be interesting to attempt a playthrough focusing primarily on archery.

Where the combat breaks down a bit in my experience is fighting certain tough enemies one on one, where there is less opportunity to use positioning and the environment to work your way around a problem. Combat as an incidental part of the world is great though, getting ambushed or planning your own ambush, letting groups fight each other or trying to save someone under attack. You can approach problems obliquely, dodge combat completely, bring a companion along to kick arse for you, charm enemies etc. and if need be you can always brute force by spamming potions.

It’s what you make of it, is what I’m trying to say.

• Kaeoschassis says:

If you want to enjoy Skyrim but don’t enjoy the combat… Play a mage type.
            Sure, the actual combat still isn’t especially exciting, but the spells are pretty and you’re so overpowered the battles tend not to drag on long enough to be tedious.
            Alternatively, play a sneaky assassin and learn to mix poisons and stuff. Sure, Skyrim’s stealth is not exactly believable, but you know what, it IS fun.
            I’ve never found Skyrim’s (admittedly not very great) combat a hinderance to enjoying it, because even when there are enemies infront of me I’m not just hitting them repeatedly with a weightless sword.

• fish99 says:

The mage/sneaky archer is definitely the way to go if you don’t like the melee combat. Sneak into combat, open up with a 3x damage arrow, then either keep shooting arrows (surprisingly effective even point blank) or switch to destruction. Combine with summons to keep the enemies off you. That was my first playthrough in a nutshell. Didn’t even have a melee weapon/shield equipped.

Having said that, on this 2nd playthough I’m enjoying melee. The one handed is a lot more enjoyable. Two handed is just too slow.

Pretty much everything in Skyrim is OP once you have the perks though – archery, magic, smithing, enchanting, melee, armour.

• Turkey says:

I ended up traveling Skyrim in circles over and over again cause half the quests require you to travel a billion miles and back again for the reward. So I’d just rack up as many quests as I could in each town and then go around the whole thing like some kind of justice dispensing postman.

It would have been more fun if they designed the game around people who don’t like to fast travel by having most of the quests be local.

• Blackcompany says:

Glad folks are still enjoying Skyrim. And to be fair I did get about 100 hours out of it. Spent a goodly amount of time after that testing different mod combinations. Never settled back in for another play though.

Still though, i dont regret purchasing the game. Lot of content for the money even at full price, and its long since come down from that.

• fish99 says:

Thought it was worth explaining because most people haven’t tried it, but I bet a lot of them have thought about doing so. Might inspire someone.

30. MykulJaxin says:

I’ve decided to become a slave to my artwork, honing my skills so I can find employment (Since school on its own doesn’t seem conducive to such a thing), and haven’t played games for a while. Last night, however, some friends and I played some Magicka (which I quite enjoyed) and watched Darkplace, which we were pointed to from The Evil Within review here. Now I’m up at 6:00 AM here and doing art before going to work.

31. Rizlar says:

Abyss Odyssey! So good. Managed to beat the final boss on my 3 and a bit hour second run (not all in one sitting). I love the way the checkpoint system lets you progress down, then get beaten back, then keep going down, then get pushed even further back to a previous checkpoint, then keep going down….

It’s such a joy to behold, a treat to play, and the second main character I’ve just unlocked from beating it once seems even more fun that the first.

Makes a nice break from being dismantled by Portugal declaring successive holy wars on me as Morocco in EUIV…

32. Laurentius says:

After beating my dreaded Boss Nemesis that is lvl 35 Hexcells Plus ( I got you bastard !) I started working up Hexcells Inifinite – brain melting but it so good ! Additionaly I’m also leisury playing Arkham City, I beat the game long time go when it came out and had my fill but now out of blue I lunched it and started collecting Riddler’s trophies and it is quite chilling, I am not completionist but sometimes I have this urge to do these additional tasks. Also if I fins someone to play I may conitniue my second playthrough of Borderlands 2 (TVHM).

33. Sorbicol says:

Assassin’s Creed IV, Black Flag. It’s improved immeasurably since I got a ship but I still bounce pretty hard with the controls and the “no you can’t save where you like” system. That alone should be a hanging offence. Still , it’s a lot of fun when it’s getting right I might just persevere with it a little longer.

Other than that it’s playing Civ V again and dithering over whether to get Civ: Beyond Earth or Endless Legend. Decisions decisions

• Pan Vidla says:

Whenever I start up a new game of Civilization, I’m full of expectations, thinking: “This time I’m really going to focus”. I nearly always end up just trying to reach any victory that seems the closest, waste all my money on bribing city states that other civs are trying to take away from me and coming up with megalomaniac systems of defense, while whining about when the hell it’s going to be over. The endgame is a bit dull, unfortunately. I hope this gets better in Beyond Earth.

• Blackcompany says:

Wait until your tenth Tailing/Eavesdropping mission in ACIV. About the tenth time all the soldiers in a city I had walked right past became suddenly hostile because someone I needed to listen to took a walk through town, I threw down the controller, uninstalled the game and walked away.

And I have not missed it. At all.

Ok, well, I do miss those times when your ship failed to show up in a harbor and was replaced by a world eating black hole. That particular, Bethesda-esque bug was probably the best thing about the game, after a while.

• pilouuuu says:

Yes, another AssCreed, another missed opportunity. It’s a shame because it could almost be the best pirate simulator.

Instead I’m playing Shadows of Mordor. That’s AssCreed done right.

• Blackcompany says:

Thought the same about AC IV. Could have been the best pirate game in a whole lot of years. Maybe ever. Except…for some reason they felt the need to add in the AC bits.

If only Ubi could understand that we want an open world. Really, truly open. No more forced mission areas. No more scripted set pieces. Just…plop us into the world and let us discover the narrative on our own.

34. Coffee Ray Gun says:

I’ll be watching the League finals, as well as playing some. I got hooked on Endless Legend as well and I need to play that nonstop before Civilization: Beyond Earth comes out. I also want to play The Last Of Us: Remastered, and I need to finish that before Call Of Duty: AW and Dragon Age: Inquisition come out.

Oh the first-world problem of having too many games to play.

35. bill says:

Same as last weekend.
    I’m no longer a young-un endowed with enough free time to burn through 3 80hr RPGs in a weekend. These days it takes me weeks, or months, to scrape together enough free time to finish a game.

36. bill says:

Oops. Wrong post. I’m playing Magrunner still. good game.

37. DrScuttles says:

Going to buy Grimrock 2. Probably won’t actually play it though because it’s impossible to stay focused on anything. Tried out Don’t Starve and finding it painful to make it through a single in-game day in one go. Seems good enough and I like its style but I can tell that it’s going to demand too much time to get anywhere with it.

38. der_Zens0r says:

I just bought the Elite: Dangerous Beta, so this will be the game of the weekend. I’m so excited!

39. Wowbagger says:

I’m extremely late to the binding of Isaac party, but I’m enjoying it immensely and looking forward to rebirth!

40. pilouuuu says:

I’m finding it harder and harder to play anything lately. I don’t know if I’m get old, if games are not interesting anymore or if I’m burned out. The only thing I was constatly playing during the year has been Hearthsone, because it always brings a smile to my face and I can play in short bursts.

But the thing that definitely brought the magic back is Shadows of Mordor! I love its freedom and how its gameplay mechanics work. Really, the nemesis system is something that makes me think this is actually next gen. What seemed like another AssCreed rip-off turned out to be the most entertaining game in a long time and I don’t even notice time go by while playing it.

So, I will play Shadows of Mordor and I’ll try to play Vanishing of Ethan Carter and the new Sherlock game, which I can’t get totally engaged in, despite looking magnificent.

I’ll probably play some Hearthstone a bit too. I played a lot last weeks to unlock Naxxaramas stuff and now I’m taking it easy.

41. melnificent says:

I will be mainly preparing for an upcoming hospital stay. So installing the 4X games I never get time to play and getting steam to stick to offline mode.

Shadows of Mordor is calling me as is Destiny and I need to get working on a game too….. I wonder if they can extend my hospital stay

Bluerps says:

I’ll probably start a new CK2 campaign, now that the new expansion is out. However, I haven’t completely decided yet – it’s possible that I’ll just start a third Endless Legend campaign. Considering how much I love CK2 (406 hours on Steam) this says a lot about Endless Legend.

• Phantasma says:

Agreed.
      I thought i was deeply in love with Age of Wonders 3, but Endless Legend nullified any desire to play the former.
      At least for a good while.

I’m also starting to suspect, that the very relaxed “click-here, build-there and watch it unfold” approach in EL may just appeal to me more than the very tight and focused pace in AOW3. Which is a bit of a shame, i guess i’m getting old.

43. gadalia says:

My friend has been recommending LoL & other MOBAs for a while, I finally cracked and am going to play SMITE. So it’s fun, but I’m on a losing streak.

44. Prolar Bear says:

Trying the Blade Symphony free weekend, cool game. Then the usual sprinkling of Assetto Corsa, Dark Souls II and most of all Hexcells Infinite’s generated levels.

45. notenome says:

Playing life is feudal on the RPS server. My goal is to have castle shotgun finished by the end of the weekend.

46. derbefrier says:

Shadow of Mordor, maybe a bit of star Citizen to try out the new ship that released yesterday, and some High level DnD later tonight!

47. Buuurr says:

World of Tanks until Lords of The Fallen hits….

48. ansionnach says:

Hoping to play a few more missions in Brood War. Old hat, I know. Recently had a hard disc crash and lost a lot of old files, including my old save 2/3 of the way through. Decided I’d go back and finish it this time!

• Ben Barrett says:

Only good game released before 2004 *nods sagely*

• ansionnach says:

…that was called Brood War! It’s funny when you leave so long between starting and finishing a game. Can’t even remember when I bought it – got the battle chest when the price had gone down a bit so it might have been 2000-2002. I think I wasn’t that into the Brood War story back then as well but my play style has certainly changed. I used to have to finish every mission without ever saving it and without ever slowing it down (so at the middle speed). There’s no way I’m going to replay the whole mission just to do that last bit at the end right any more. Did I ever mention that I finished (the PC version of) Cannon Fodder without losing a single soldier? That was sometimes an excruciating experience. Probably had nothing else to play at the time so I had to make it last!

49. Strangeblades says:

I’m going to be playing Skyrim – Learn All About Basic Game Design Through Modding Docs, Tutorials, Etc, Etc.

50. manio22 says:

Finishing Wastelad 2. Maybe i will give it another playthrough or i will go with some Dark Mod missions