A Faint Signal: Antenna

I’m maybe romanticizing, but the total lack of information about Antenna has made it tantalising. There’s no website, no information about who’s making it or their plans. The one hundred and eight second trailer, embedded below, has the barest glimpses of directing a robot around a black and white planet. A one-line greenlight descriptor is of little extra help:

A machine, ponders its loneliness. It scans the radio spectrum for an answer to its question.

And that’s it. That’s all we have.

And yet I’m intrigued. I’m intrigued by the art style, because Limbospiration hasn’t worn thin on me yet. I’m intrigued by the robot, because not many game protagonists are hulking four legged machines that still manage to be just a bit adorable. I’m intrigued by the central questions – where are we? Who are we scanning for? Why is it so hard? Do they not want us to hear?

Which is ridiculous! There are so many games out there, released and otherwise, with more definable mysteries to explore. I know nothing of this, gleaning more from its six words of tags – “Casual, Free To Play, Platformer, Puzzle” – than anything else the developer has written. Google searches of the two names at the start of the trailer reveal nothing but likely unrelated further confusion. It should barely take a moment of my time to look over and archive, wait for more, see where it goes.

But here I am. Intrigued. Maybe you are too. Greenlight this way.

Top comments

1. GameCat says:

I've read it with Rod Serling voice.
  1. kav2k says:

Wait, what? Free to Play?
    That does not sound good.

• Ben Barrett says:

I assume it just means “free” rather than “microtransactions in my peaceful adventure game”

• LTK says:

Greenlight does not have a genre of ‘free’ so let’s hope that’s what they actually mean.

2. RARARA says:

It’s just looking for the other Tachikmas.

3. FlatBat says:

Looks like “The Fall” meets SETI.

4. LionsPhil says:

Attack of the on-screen control prompts.

5. GameCat says:

I’ve read it with Rod Serling voice.

6. stahlwerk says:

Press ‘s’ to lift skinny fists.

looks lovely!

7. P.Funk says:

The style is beautiful. I have always been a strong lover of the mystery of science fiction, not surprising that my favourite Star Trek movie is The Motion Picture if only for that seemingly endless visual parade through the inside of the massive V’Ger ship.

I also love the idea of the signal in space. A film like Contact, for all its melodrama and overacting, what always gets me is the beginning, the first part, the search for something and the shock of finding it, hearing that signal come through. Same with something like 2001, that raw terrifying lead up to seeing the Obelisk, both times with the haunting music, the fact that just showing it, with no dialogue, with nothing but that music, just sticking it there in front of you activates something in your brain. You know it without having words to quite articulate it, there is something being said by that, the idea of that sharp alien object in a setting where it doesn’t belong, it says something you couldn’t stick in 100 lines of dialogue.

I feel much the same with the undulating crackling of a signal set next to the bleak lonely monochrome of this teaser. I am thrilled and I even feel it a bit in my arms, something I find happens the rare times I’m excited by a new prospect, a few games, some films or music, usually a woman, its like there’s a fluttering in the shoulder. I’m excited because of the idea of just hopping in, in medias res, straight into a game where you’re the machine and you are curious. Immediately this machine is human because curiosity and loneliness are two of the most recognizable human feelings and they are perhaps the best at creating immediate empathy. I want to see myself assemble the array, power up the receiver, and see what I can find out there, see it slowly reveal itself.

I know it won’t live up to this whole thing in my head, but even just this, right now what I’m considering here, its worth it. All thanks to a teaser. I’ll be watching this one.

8. Love Albatross says:

A comma, ponders its position in a sentence.

9. BalkanOkami says:

First impression is that this would be excellently suited for playing on an Oculus or other head-mounted display… not for the P.O.V./VR obviously, but for the audio/visual isolation.