Alone In The… Survival Horror 2Dark

Boo!

Children rarely know when to shut up, even when it’s for their own good. I remember a sibling ‘whispering’ “BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BOMB?” while our vaguely Irish-ish family’s car was searched by customs at Dover port in the early ’90s, the week after an IRA bombing. Shut up, children.

2Dark has children who should be quiet too. It’s a survival horror lead by Frederick Raynal, a designer on seminal survival horror Alone in the Dark, about rescuing children from serial killers’ lairs and leading them out safely. Luckily, here you can give them a good shushing. It’s having a crack at crowdfunding.

Johnny Policeman (I’m guessing here) will be sneaking into dimly-lit lairs in search of children, dodging, traps, dogs, and kidnappers. And then needs to get them out. Everything runs on light and sound, stopping you from finding the children and the bad people from finding you. Sounds in the dark are shown as little circles, mysterious rings which could be anything from a lost child to a cannibal wearing a pig’s face, and you won’t know unless you have a look. No blind-firing, then.

Complicating things are those ruddy children, who have different personalities and so won’t simply obediently follow. You can shush ’em, or you can tell ’em to wait places, and their safety’s on you.

Developers Gloomywood, who also include other Alone in the Dark folks, are looking for €30,000 (about £24k) on French crowdfunding site Ulule to finish 2Dark. Pledging at least €10 (£8) will get you a copy of the finished game.

1. Bugamn says:

Based on the still from the video, is that guy describing Doom?

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

“Kill” is probably mistranslated French for “Invite the monsters to the parlour”.

2. Dan Griliopoulos says:

Raynal wasn’t *a* designer on Alone In The Dark – he was *the* original creator, building the 3D engine and tools, coming up with the concept, and working like a mad bastard for a year to get it done in time. Before being told by the publisher that for the second one they just wanted to do a reskin and if he had a problem, there’s the door.

Andy_Panthro says:

The first AitD is a brilliant game, I can’t believe it was made in a year!

We get so many retrospectives about Resident Evil or Silent Hill, but where’s the love for Alone in the Dark?

• Oozo says:

What’s more: He’s also the guy behind Little Big Adventure, it seems — even though it’s very much downplayed in the video. I liked LBA very much.

Well, I’m usually not that guy, but the theme somewhat rubs me the wrong way, even though the game looks interesting.

I just wonder if they should not have gone with Kickstarter — seems like all other platforms are way less successful. Would be a shame, the guy certainly seems to know his stuff.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Kickstarter only lets you keep the money if you reach your goal, perhaps this gives either way? Possibly has something to do with the Euro?

Ninja Dodo says:

I believe Kickstarter (creating projects, that is) has not come to France yet. Though even then Indiegogo seems like it would have more reach. I guess they really wanted to go with a local site.

>I’m usually not that guy, but the theme somewhat rubs me the wrong way

I’m the same. I *adore* LBA and would back this is in a heartbeat if it were not for the theme and overly gory style.

3. Freud says:

Nice and original concept. I’ve missed French developers going full French developer.

4. cpt_freakout says: