Jetcar Combat-o-racing: Quantum Rush Champions

Nyooom!

While futuristic racing is defined by Wipeout for many, for me it’ll always be dear old MegaRace. My futuristic racing comes as a dystopian TV show starring campy presenter Lance Boyle in reels of reels of full-motion video. Pre-rendered 3D! FMV! Prizes! Even the name is exciting: MegaRace! It’s a bit pants, of course. I recognise I have a problem, and that jetcars are probably my salvation.

Quantum Rush first caught our compound eye last year with its pretty jetcars and wacky idea of Kickstarting a free-to-play multiplayer game (which, obviously, failed). Developers GameArt Studio persevered and in July released Quantum Rush Online, and now have followed up with singleplayer-only jetcar combat-o-racer Quantum Rush Champions. It’s on Steam Early Access for £3.99, which is more appealing to my hovercar hankerings than a F2P oddity.

Champions strips out the online stuff to bosh in single-player gubbins, with a career mode including boss battles and challenges, unlockable customisation parts, and other racy things. The challenges sound interesting, special modes along the progression track like Damage Control, where racers need to avoid crashing as their car moves ever faster, and one where the last-placed players are regularly eliminated. It’ll be in Early Access for two or three months, developers GameArt Studio say, while they gather feedback and add more content.

The jetcar racer I’m really watching for, mind, is Formula Fusion, made by folks formerly from Wipeout creator SCE Studio Liverpool. QR might still help set me down the path to righteousness.

While Champions has no demo, I suppose you can hop on over to Quantum Rush Online if you want to give the basics a spin before buying. Who knows, perhaps one day GameArt will manage to combine the two!

1. Caiman says:

“and now have followed up with singleplayer-only jetcar combat-o-racer Quantum Rush Online.”

I think you mean Quantum Rush Champions, unless they’re trying some rather optimistic rebranding.

2. FriendlyFire says:

What? MegaRace was amazing! I played that game over and over alongside Novastorm and TTD.

3. PoulWrist says:

Why isn’t this available with local multiplayer for 16ish people? My group of friends would LOVE that for our tri-yearly LAN parties.

4. Eight Rooks says:

Online is fairly good, though it puts the emphasis on making you wait a looong time to progress, and the difficulty curve between tracks is pretty steep to say the least. It’s a lot better than most F2P titles ever get, mind, and that’s really not meant as damning it with faint praise.

I didn’t realise Champions would be so cheap on EA, either! Might have to give it a shot sooner rather than later.

5. amateurviking says:

I watched the video with the sound off and by the halfway point I found myself humming the Big Blue theme from F-Zero(s).

I can think of no greater compliment.

Edit: Tsk, guns.

• Eight Rooks says:

Oh, God, don’t go into this for the music. I stress that much of the music for Online, at least, is horrible – the victory theme in particularly is spectacularly bad, and you can’t skip it. There’s a weird little bug they still haven’t fixed last I looked, where once everyone’s finally crossed the line your car goes out of control and buries itself in the nearest wall. But anyway. Music. Terrible. Seriously.

• amateurviking says:

S’ok I will just hum more tunes from F-Zero. They are the best.

6. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

This presses many of my buttons. Always preferred this style of racer where you can’t spin off on the corners (tunnel racers?) along with the sci-fi look. Sounds like there’s a few coming up, which pleases me greatly.

7. Wertymk says:

The Eldar from 40k called, they want their Falcon back.

8. RARARA says:

Oh dear, weapons. I hate shooty bits in proper racing games – it’s a quite a bit annoying having my speed taken away from me not because I didn’t maneuver through the track properly but because I’ve been hit by homing missiles from behind that I couldn’t see in the first place.

Anyway, donning my rose-tinted nostalgia glasses, I myself am rather partial to Jet Moto.

• Bassem says:

Woohoo, Jet Moto! That was so much fun, especially with the leaning and the grappling hook. And I still have and listen to the soundtrack from the first game.

9. Rian Snuff says:

Cruel irony.
    The only thing that help me back from going to buy this right now is it’s lack of local/online multi-player.
    I really don’t see the point of a racing game that isn’t an epic in-depth simulator without friends.
    I don’t buy SP racing games basically but really really want a high end Wipeout clone for PC.

• Eight Rooks says:

If you’re okay with internet play then just play Online. It’s the exact same game, just multiplayer only/F2P. The tracks they’re showing in this trailer are the same, the ships, the weapons, everything. The free-to-play setup may prove too frustrating for you (it irritates me), but hey, it’s not pay to win, and it won’t cost you anything.

10. BalkanOkami says:

I can see where Formula Fusion impresses with its looks and fancy customization geegaws, but the first thing that struck me about that game’s preview footage was how lifeless the craft looked when zooming around the track. They all seemed to be traveling on a completely flat plane, with no regard to aerodynamics or weight. Maybe that’s more true to its Wipeout pedigree, but thinking back that was something that turned me off about those games as well.

Without having played either, the footage of Quantum Rush at least imparts a bit more heft to its craft… they bob and weave as they move in a way that makes the seem more like physical objects moving through actual atmosphere.

11. Kempston Wiggler says:

Interesting. This one feels a lot more like Wipeout than the one being made by the ex-Wipeout devs.

£3.99, huh? Very very tempting….

12. Zankmam says:

I just want:

* Futuristic racing with slick and elegantly designed vehicles

* Realistic & sport-y career mode, with progress from lower echelons of competition to higher; akin to a F1 game

* Fluid and enjoyable racing; a lot of these games for some reason tend to be really rigid

* No weapons/powerups/pickups. Fine that they exist in some games, but I want one without them.

13. TechnicalBen says:

Been following one of the artists on DA for a while on this game. Might just make a purchase of the SP in recognition of good art, good gameplay, and the admittance “f2p” is a lie and dishonest (Pay 2 Play would be a fine label).

• Kaeoschassis says:

Got a username for that artist? Because I -really- like those craft designs…

14. JacParsons says:

PHYSICS. ENERTIA. MOMENTUM. repeat. these drokkin words.’ anti gravity games feel like they are all rail shooters. i just bought champions and am going to post this on there pages. It should not feel like the crafts are dragging. wipeout 3 came out in 1999. how the bastiches are going to discover that if it does not feel fast then it will not sell. it feels like a camera with three angles.