Post-pre-DLCquel: Alien Isolation DLC Detailed

I don't know why you're using the motion tracker -- it's right there.

What happened before the events of Alien: Isolation? Well, the movie Alien, which you can play bits of in the two DLC missions first offered as pre-order bonuses. All right, but what happened after Alien but before Alien: Isolation? Things went awfully wrong aboard Sevastopol Station, is what. Sega have revealed the first of five DLC packs for Survivor Mode that’ll explore those unpleasant days before Ripley arrives, set to arrive next Tuesday, October 28th.

This calls for the coining of a horrible new term. I’m going with post-pre-DLCquel.

Each of the five packs making up the post-pre-DLCquel will bring a new protagonist in a new slice of story along with a new game mode. They’ll cost £5.59 apiece or come in a Season Pass bundle for £19.99, saving a fair few bob. Sega announced this basic plan a while back, but we were too busy hiding behind the sofa to notice.

What’s new-new is this big press blah explaining what’s going on in the first, Corporate Lockdown:

In ‘Corporate Lockdown’, Seegson Executive Ransome has learnt that he has been abandoned by his paymasters. Knowing that the Torrens is on the way, he decides to make his escape and hitch a ride on board, taking decoded Nostromo data with him. However, while escaping he wants to tie up a few loose ends… Across three new challenge maps, ‘Severance’, ‘Scorched Earth’ and ‘Loose Ends’, players are challenged to compete against others through Alien: Isolation’s online leaderboards, to escape the station in the fastest possible time or attain the top score through numerous side quests and hidden bonus objectives. New to ‘Corporate Lockdown’ is the addition of Gauntlet Mode where players are challenged to top the Gauntlet Mode leaderboards by completing all three challenge maps back-to-back without dying.

And as you can tell from these two screenshots, Corporate Lockdown will be like Isolation but slightly tidier. Look, Sevastopol’s barely scorched and has nary a blood stain in sight (though who could tell with that rug?):

Hot living room action.

1. MuscleHorse says:

Urgh, I’m desperately trying to save this for the Christmas sales, what with my purchasing Mordor and pre-ordering (I know) Civ: Beyond Earth. I feel like I may give way though.

2. Mezmorki says:

Whow … they got that content pulled together quickly.

• Danny says:

You think they..? No they wouldn’t.

Or would they?

• Chalky says:

I hope you don’t mean to imply that… surely not. Instead of releasing it as part of the… no…

• Vandelay says:

But that means… Instead of working on… Just to squeeze us.

That’s unfathomable!

• SominiTheCommenter says:

“squeeze us”

That’s right, my decision to buy this on Christmas is…

• mr.black says:

But isn’t Sega… and their shareholders would… So the whole commercialism idea is in fact… And the people and happiness…
            Quoth the raven…

3. slerbal says:

As much as I want this, hearing about the DLC makes me think I shall just wait for a GOTY edition. I only ever play most games once so if the DLC is added after then it doesn’t get played.

• Ross Angus says:

Grumble grumble Mass Effect grumble.

phuzz says:

mmm, DLC that costs more than than the base game, thanks Bioware!

(Especially now you can buy all three games in a sale for about £20, but then have to spend about £50 just picking up the story DLC, even if you ignore the character and weapon packs)

And don’t get me started on “bioware points” :(

phuzz says:

Damnit, I got myself started.
          So, You can buy the Mass Effect trilogy for £20 if you look around. ME1 doesn’t have any paid story DLC, but the other two both have several bits of DLC which contain chunks of the single player story (eg, if you’ve not bought Shadow Broker for ME2, then bits of ME3 will not make much sense), they are:

ME2
          Arrival 560
          Shadow broker 800
          Overlord 560
          Kasumi 650

ME3
          From Ashes 800
          Leviathan 800
          Omega 1200
          Citadel 1200

In total that’s 6750 “bioware points” to buy.
          However, you can’t just buy 6750 points, you have to buy them in packs. You can spend £13 on 1600 points, or £6 for 800. So, for just the single player DLC for Mass Effect 2 and 3, you’ll have to spend £58 on 7200 bioware points (four lots of 1600 and an 800) , and you’ll still have 450 useless points left over, I suppose you could spend them on weapon and appearance DLC.

So thanks Bioware, for charging three times the price of the games in DLC. You’d think at this point they could release a version with all the DLC for a fixed price.

• strangeloup says:

Not PC, but for the first time I think I’ve ever seen, all the Mass Effect and Dragon Age DLC went on sale on PSN recently, for more-or-less half price. Now, the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 has everything barring Arrival included already, and I hear that Omega isn’t very good, so I just picked up Arrival, From Ashes, and Leviathan (for, I think, £4 apiece) and Citadel for £5 and change.

Of course, I still haven’t got through ME1 on the PS3 version yet, after buying the Trilogy box set. But I figured I may as well have the DLC for when I get to it.

• Caiman says:

I’ve started viewing commercial releases as having a widely available beta. which they somehow call the “release version”, then a period where they fix all the bugs and drip-feed all the parts they snipped out for DLC, and finally the GOTY / Definitive / Whatever version which is basically what the game should have been at release.

• -funkstar- says:

*Dingdingding* We have a winner!

4. Wowbagger says:

I’m saving it for crimbo as I bought shadow of Mordor and the distinctly meh Borderland PS which i’m trying to push myself to play.

5. Loyal_Viggo says:

Fucking dlc… plague on PC gamers.

Creative Assembly cnuts.

• Vandelay says:

You seem to have accidentally knocked your c key. But you are right; Creative Assembly are a wacky bunch!

• elderman says:

Just today I saw DLC for sale on the Humble Store for a game (by another company) that’s still in early access. The mind boggles.

• Faran says:

*shoots myself in the face*
        I remember seeing that Alpha trailer for that MMO that’s a thing that’s out now and that I don’t know the name of. I don’t know because I don’t give a toss about MMO:s but that trailer just pissed me off because now we can apparently consider upcoming Alpha releases to be worthy of the same commercial processes as a game that’s about to be released (as in complete). And now they’re getting DLC too.

Early Access is beginning to cross a bit over the line right about now.

• Hex says:

Threats of gunviolence to the face are not tolerated here! No matter the target!

6. AshRolls says:

Good to see that more of Sevastopol’s story will be told. I’m personally not interested in the leaderboards etc, just give me more of that beautifully atmospheric world!

• Beowulf says:

I just had an epiphany! I too don’t care about those leaderboards and feel like they are a distraction from savouring the game as it is – well crafted atmospheric horror.
      But what if some CEO from Sega ordered the team to throw in a competitive multiplayer “Because all new releases have it and it beefs up longevity of the game” ?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The Gauntlet mode, where you play all three and not die, is the only one that sounds interesting. I guess the leader board lets you prove to others that you’ve completed the challenge.

7. Xantonze says:

How nice! More corridors, and doors to open… Hope we’ll get new levers, and maybe a few more hacking minigames!
    ….
    (I read the interview you did with the guy developing… Soma? – about the “hollowness” of Alien:Isolation. I found that guy really hit the problem: aside from the encounters with the alien, the game feels pretty shallow and old in its structure. I stopped playing after 5-6 hours. Tired of being sent from corridor to corridor…)

8. buzzmong says:

I’m glad this game is good, but when I saw Season Pass appear as a DLC option when it was pre-order on Steam along with the pre-order bonuses, it immediately got relegated to the inevitable Goatee Edition purchase.

I’m starting to wonder if publishers realise more people are catching on and will simply wait if they know in 12 months they’ll get the “complete” version.

9. Brtt says:

Wouldn’t that article possibly be part of the Survival Week and tagged as such ?
    Because, you know… survival.

• Alice O'Connor says:

This would be a bit lacklustre for folks seeking cool #survival #content #survivalweek #survivecontent

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

But there’s no hunger/food mechanic. Though it could be interesting, you need to eat but the only food you have is crisps that make a REALLY loud crunching sound. The alien is prowling outside the locker you’re hiding in, but you’ll need the energy if you are to get to the door…

• Crusoe says:

Isolation is NOT a survival game.

10. Monggerel says:

The alt text was word-for-word what I thought upon seeing that headline picture.
    I think that about sums up how original I am.

11. Geebs says:

In videos of this game, the Alien looks ridiculous strolling about.

Congratulations, CA, on forgetting why they never showed the Alien walking, or in fact ever even showed the whole thing at once. Consider me put off.

• DarkLiberator says:

How does the alien look ridiculous walking around? The animation looks awesome and his hissing is fucking creepy.

• Geebs says:

The Alien doesn’t need to walk to you; he’s already where you’re going.

(seriously, watch the first movie, this is true 100% of the time)

• Almond Milk says:

Oddly, the alien isn’t really the draw in Isolation I think. This can only really come from playing the game, but the reason I boot it up to play a mission or two is for one reason only: the world. HOT DAMN it is something else to put your virtual self into. I’ve never seen anything else like it in games, the craftsmanship is astounding, and as someone who genuinely loves this mad medium I just want to applaud every time I enter a new area.

That being said, you are spot on about the alien’s animation. It needs to crawl. Stick to ceilings. Come at you in a mad gravity defying spiral. Slither out of anything other than the blindingly obvious alien entrance/exit portals, i.e. vents. This absurd mechanical stomping they have it do, where it paces back and forth down the middle of corridors only reminds me of my father: mechanically stomping back and forth down the middle of the house as he has a silent angry.

By replacing his model with that of the alien, Creative Assembly have neatly sidestepped the uncanny valley and created a most convincing replica of my father circa 1999. Sometimes, as I’m hiding in a locker, I’ll whisper words of encouragement to the alien: “just talk about it, please don’t hold all that poison inside yourself….I love you.”

Then he opens the locker and pushes his tiny mouth inside my brain, killing me instantly.

10/10 would love again.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I watched Alien last night again and realized that the devs really shit the bed on this one. They should have had you playing as Jonesey instead of Ripley. This would give you the chance to watch the events of the movie play out while still allowing ample avoid-the-alien time and some new gameplay mechanics.