Animatronic Terrors: Five Nights At Freddy’s 2

HELLO.

Let’s all be quite clear about one thing: I am still young and cool and vibrant. Good. Obviously I know about all the cool things young people like myself are up to, and those small jumpscare horror games we all enjoy with our cool friends. Slender Man is so 2012, SCP games are over, and creepypasta hacks were too goofy to ever catch on. No, now we’re all into Five Nights at Freddy’s and being a night watchman stalked by horrifying animatronic animals come to life to murder you. Or they were a few months ago. We were. Us. Me too. Oh I don’t know, I just don’t know any more.

But I do know creator Scott Cawton has announced Five Nights at Freddy’s 2, and it looks frightful.

To recap: Five Nights at Freddy’s is about surviving the night in a grotty Chuck E. Cheese-y kids’ restraurant where the eerie animatronic animals have come to life and want to murder you. They can’t move when watched, so you sit in an office, frantically flicking through security cameras, trying to keep an eye on these frozen horrors and judging when to use your limited power supply to lock doors. If they get in, boo! it’s jumpscare curtains for you.

You can’t lock doors in the sequel. That’s gone. What you can do, instead, is slip on an empty head of old Freddy Fazbear himself and hope they’ll be fooled by the disguise. I’m sure that won’t have terrible consequences. Five Nights 2 is trying to sneak into through Steam Greenlight, which I’m sure it’s qualified for by now because the first is so remarkably popular.

At least 421,000 Five Nights-related videos are on YouTube. The Greenlight page gained 1500 comments in about 16 hours. Almost 200 posts speculate about whether the mask will be overpowered or not. I may be a dreadful spinster too wrapped up in Melvyn Bragg’s Bookshelf Reorganiser 2014 to play it myself, but I see the appeal. It’s short, unpleasant bursts that give similar but unique “And then…!” stories to tell your chums the next day (or vlog — do the youths still say “vlog”?) and surely also opportunities to tell little lies about secrets you’ve ‘discovered’.

1. Xzi says:

Alien: Isolation I love. But this series and Outlast? All my nope. I bought Outlast, too, but I refuse to play it. The feelings of helplessness in these games are what get to me.

Also, animatronic animals freak me right the hell out to this very day. They freaked me out even worse as a child. And then I worked at a Chuck E Cheese’s when I was a teen for some stupid reason (money).

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I feel more paralyzed in Alien than Outlast. To wit, at least in Outlast running was an option. Once I realized I just had to run circles around enemies instead of hiding, it became much less terrifying, although still a great game. I start shaking just thinking of playing Alien.

• BLACKOUT-MK2 says:

I know as a kid I used to have nightmares about robots killing me or sometimes my cuddly toys eating me. I still have my fear of certain robots, so FNAF really creeps me the hell out. I don’t like the thought of being stuck in a dark room unable to move while damaged robots try to kill me. What even is that thing in the top image?

• sub-program 32 says:

The top image is of Chica 2.0, a modernized and kiddyfied version of the yellow abomination you see in the trailer. Current murderousness of the former is unknown. The latter, known and greatly feared.

• BLACKOUT-MK2 says:

It’s trouser-soiling worthy is what it is. Chica was always the creepiest to me.

• Monggerel says:

I don’t mind me some helplessness.
      Reminds me of the everything.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

If Alien: Isolation is modable, I could absolutely see somebody making a Five Nights mod for it.

2. Giftmacher says:

That action-movie-techno-whatsit in the trailer was a really weird choice of music, but I am eagerly looking forward to this. Loving the new puppet designs.

3. Adamustache says:

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

4. Mokinokaro says:

Apparently the premise of this one is that Freddy’s bought new state of the art animatronics that are safe at night for humans due to them having facial recognition. However, they kept the old ones around for nostalgia sake in a back room and both versions come out at night.

The new ones have the quirk that they know the old animatronics aren’t supposed to be out, so I’m betting the Freddy mask fools the old cast, but makes the new ones attack one since they won’t recognize you as human.

Also, the power drain of the doors has been replaced by some areas requiring lights to be turned on so you can see what’s in them.

• Heliocentric says:

Wait… So its a war, and you have an ally of sorts? Oh, that is clever, desperately trying to avoid freezing the newer models except, if both can see you at the same time you are screwed mask or no mask.

Harlander says:

Hmm, some things are really better if you don’t try and justify them with a plot…