This Game’s Name Has A Different Meaning When Red:Out

One day there’s going to be a videogame inspired by Wipeout and it’s going to a turn-based, ragdoll physics obstacle course inspired by the TV show of the same name. Until then we’ll have to settle for those reviving the future-racing of the beloved PlayStation 1-era game, which is where Red:Out‘s allegiances lie. It’s being made by a small team of Italian developers and there’s a couple of pre-alpha videos below which will let you know exactly how close it veers to the source material.

Pretty damn close!

That video is from October 10th, but I also liked this earlier footage from back in July. It has fewer particle effects but a more colourful race track:

I love the slight wobble on the ship’s gravity-suspension as it rounds corners.

The developers were one of the Unreal Engine-using indie developers to be taken to this month’s Eurogamer Expo by Epic, an experience which they wrote about over here. If you had a play of it, it’s worth noting that the speed had been turned down for the show build.

We weren’t exactly at the center of the show, nevertheless many people came across and felt brave enough to pick up the controller. The general feeling was good, especially when the game was on the big screen. It’s funny how we dramatically slowed the ship down for the exhibition build, just to make sure the game was accessible enough for a first-time play session, and yet everyone told us that the sense of speed was really there. We got positive feedback on aesthetics as well, another field where we believe we can still improve. It feels really good, because there’s a solid foundation with so much margin of improvement in all areas.

On Thursday and Friday it was mostly adults and teenagers. On Saturday and Sunday, schoolchildren overrun the fair en masse. Seeing how people of different ages approached the game helped us pinpoint our target audience, but it was the number of small kids approaching the game and succeeding in playing that surprised us. Red:Out is a difficult arcade game, but the will of a kid is stronger.

There’s a bunch more insight into the game’s creation through at the development log.

Thanks, PCGamesN.

1. DavishBliff says:

Not that there’s not room on the market for both games, but the last Wipeout game was released just 2 years ago, so I don’t think this can really be described as a “revival” in any way…

• The First Door says:

Well, according to the developers on another website:

‘It’s actually closer to F-Zero than WipEout. It’s not easy to explain without being able to put a controller in your hands, but the ship handling is very different.’

And F-Zero is definitely in need of a revival!

• Baines says:

And Nintendo apparently isn’t going to bring about that revival. A few years ago, Nintendo said that it wasn’t making a new F-Zero game because it couldn’t think of a gimmick to justify it.

Though Nintendo’s reluctance most likely really comes down to money. Nintendo knows that Mario Kart name sells at an order of magnitude higher than F-Zero, so they put their efforts and ideas into new Mario Kart games while F-Zero sits locked in the vault. (The best sales comparison between Mario Kart and F-Zero requires going back to the Gamecube, where the critically acclaimed GX sold less than a tenth of what Double Dash sold.)

EDIT: This was supposed to be a reply to The First Door.

• The First Door says:

If it helps, my comment was originally a reply to another comment which has since vanished, so I think it might be a little confused!

You’re right, though it still makes me sad. F-Zero GX was brilliant!

• Urthman says:

It’s weird that they say that because I was going to comment that the jerky start/stop, fast/slow motion when the ship is getting started or negotiating turns makes it look very much like a Wipeout game and is the reason I prefer the F-Zero games to the Wipeout games.

• David Bliff says:

I actually requested my comment be deleted right after I posted it, because I had forgotten that Sony Liverpool was closed down and the PS4 version of Wipeout cancelled. So I guess any new games in the genre really are revivals.

2. stoner says:

I must be missing something. I don’t see the point of the game. Is there strategy there somewhere? I enjoy racing games (NFS is my poison), but this game seems so limiting. I got bored just watching the trailers. Yeah, I’m missing something here…

DelrueOfDetroit says:

In Wipeout you go incredibly fast and the turning is a bit trickier because you have rudders to factor in. There are also power-ups, boosts and road-hazards. They look easy when watching somebody who knows how to play, but they are not.

3. Cinek says:

What’s up with this jumping up and down even on a straight, flat track? o_O

4. grundus says:

Between this and the other two whose highly forgettable names evade my recollection, I have a question – Why are they, in their alpha phases, so intent on making the ships yaw rather than roll and pitch? The ship movement in Wipeout HD was great, they’d roll a bit, yaw a bit and pitch a bit to corner, but now it seems to be all about making the ships look like they’re just pivoting. Without any vertical control surfaces, too! Where’s the rudder?! RAGE.

• TechnicalBen says:

As said in the article, it emulates F-Zero style controls and driving (flying?).

I preferred WipEout and to some extent (for a Nintendo referenced game) Mario Cart. Which had a little bit more control available to the player.

I am likely to get swarmed by F-Zero fans though for daring to criticize it. :P

• NZLion says:

Which of these are these the other two you speak of?
      Quantum Rush (on steam Greenlight)
      Formula Fusion (being made by some ex Studio Liverpool folk)
      SlipStream GX (a fan-made WipEout clone)
      .therush// (procedural/indie)
      Repulze (Android game)
      Protoxide: Death Race (Android game)

I am certain there are, and I possibly have even played, others.

• RecklessPrudence says:

Thank-you for the list! I’ll have to check out the ones I hadn’t heard of before. But I have a suspicion that grundus was referring to Quantum Rush and Formula Fusion, those being the two that RPS recently covered.

5. c-Row says:

I like what I see – unlike other announced WipEout clones this one already gives a great sense of speed.

6. articulate says:

While I’m a rather big fan of the whole futuristic spaceship racing genre, ala F-Zero, Wipeout, I feel the race to fill the gap left by studio liverpool is beginning to cheapen the genre-again. Back in the days of the PS1, there were many attempts to try and cash in on the Wipeout craze, some more successful than others. One problem all these current games have is the lack of any character and believability that the Wipeout games had. They were set in such a way, with a very specific aesthetic that remained consistent, that you could honestly believe this would be a real thing in the future. With these new games, it just feels like someone built a standard windy track, put a ship model on it and used a hoverboard preset on the controls. :/ I’m sure a heck of a lot more work goes into it, and on release will probably be very fun, but right now, games like this just look cheap in comparison, like a college project.

• David Bliff says:

I for one would like to see an Extreme-G reboot! I feel like I grew up a little when I rented that game as part of a birthday party once as a kid. My N64 was brand new and I was all excited to get what looked like a cool game in for a weekend, and it was just god-awful. I think I tried playing it 4 or 5 separate times over the course of the weekend and it was always bad.

7. OctoStepdad says:

“One day there’s going to be a videogame inspired by Wipeout and it’s going to a turn-based, ragdoll physics obstacle course inspired by the TV show of the same name.”

Graham, your wish has been granted.

link to amazon.com

8. nubbuka says:

This reminds me of Trackmania, but they replaced the gravity affecting how you take jumps and controlling mid-air falls with points of the track that you have to take a leap of faith without knowing what’s behind the corners (Also makes it easier if you believe that they won’t throw a twist ending… see what I did there?)
    The speed is indeed impressive but I lack to see the skill that it demands from the player other than: “Just follow the shinning lights, son!”
    I always like to compare these games to Counter-Strike:Source (And Global Offensive’s) Surf mode. If you don;t know of it, youtube is your friend. Basically It utilizes Half-Logical Physics, as in your character can slide on a 45 degree wall and catch momentum in order to platform your way through of these slides to reach the end. There are a lot of maps created by the community which give a lot of personalization and unique game mechanics to ‘master’ (Play them enough until you remember them by heart sometimes).

I know this is only a pre-alpha, this is me hoping the game will steep the difficulty level and add more mechanics to make it a wee’ bit more interesting, that is all :3

• korsaat84 says:

Hey guys, developer here! Thanks RPS for the kind words. Unfortunately, turn-based, ragdoll physics are not really our thing, so I guess we’ll stick to hoverships for the time being.
      I’d like to thank everyone who has taken the time to write a suggestion or an impression. I’ll just reinstate that it’s very early in the process, and a lot of cool stuff you mention the ship rolling above all!
      About the sense of speed and the difficulty level, I’ll borrow Julian Benson words describing his firsthand experience at EGX:
      “Think of Red:Out’s mad flying things as jets without wings rather than cars without wheels. An they’re about as easy to handle as that sounds. I played the single player version, without even any AI on the tracks, but even then it was a ferocious struggle to keep my car-jet-thinger on the track.”
      Sorry that doesn’t transpire from the video. Obviously, we played too much already.

9. Baggypants says:

Bah, I’m waiting for a remake of BullFrogs spongy controled, short draw distance future racer Hi-Octane

10. Fumarole says:

Forget Wipeout, it’s all about MXC.

11. Gap Gen says:

I love the look of that first screenshot.

12. TechSmurfy says:

So, unless I’m forgetting something, we’ve got Formula Fusion, Red:Out and Quantum Rush (which looks the better of the three). Nice!