What Are You Playing This Weekend?

PLAY HARD with revengeance

It’s time to wrap up warm, RPS – thank goodness you’ve got just so many fetching scarves. The winter months are rolling in, which makes for the perfect excuse to build an intricate blanket fort around your chair and go into a weekend games-hibernation. It’ll be a tough life of hot chocolate and mince pies, but I believe in you and think you’ll come out the other side stronger than ever before. Or, at least, sated by the blood/love of your digital enemies/friends.

Well, here’s what I’m looking at every time I open Steam:

So, you know. Likely I won’t be able to play it until Sunday evening, but I expect to be fully drained of all free time by Wednesday. A rotting husk that only vaguely remembers the concept of leaving my chair. But just one more turn, eh? The RPS opinionator has been fed a copy and will be spitting out its fully formed answer early next week. In the mean time, what’s alien-hot and what’s space-not? Are you bonding with your extra-terrestrial buddies or crushing them under mighty steel?

In the scant moments not filled with work or nu-global domination, I’m splitting time between World of Tanks and Robocraft. They’re similar in structure but couldn’t be much more different outside of that. World of Tanks’ simulation-esque aims and slower pace gives it a more tactical feel. I play as an artillery piece with an overhead view and insta-gib gun rather than the normal 3rd person view-point of the smaller vehicles. It’s really unique. Every shot means holding my breath for the 2-3 seconds it takes to travel to my target followed by the elation of a satisfying new wreck or disappointment of a “that was close” soundbite. Plus sometimes I get raged at for being a “clicker” and the tears taste oh-so-sweet.

Robocraft is much more of an action piece, and far more moddable to my personal tastes. At the moment I’m piloting a small, fast, heavily-armed and armoured four-wheeler. This may sound like the best of all worlds, but a lack of size means far less blocks between my vulnerable pilot seat and oncoming laser bolts. Equally I’ve had to sacrifice firepower to maintain speed, and speed to maintain armour. It’s a wonderful balancing act trying to stay competitive in all these different areas, plus it’s the first game with Minecraft-y elements I’ve managed to get into.

But enough about my inability to express myself outside of building death machines, what are you dedicating time to this weekend?

1. Oakreef says:

Between stuff right now as I’ve finished Prototype and am super super close to finishing Twilight Princess (on PC on Dolphin!) but I wasted a bunch of money buying boxed copies of Blade Runner, Fire Warrior and Boiling Point so I might see if I can get any of them to run properly.

2. DRodders says:

I’ll be destroying doors and ventilating people in Door Kickers. Still need to complete a campaign without getting everyone I know and love, and their puppies, killed.

• Ben Barrett says:

Oh I was going to look into this but got distracted. How is it? Tim’s WIT is on my todo list.

• DRodders says:

I really like it. It’s got a lot more content than I thought there would be, and it’s pretty easy to control, if stupidly difficult to actually survive in the later stages. Well worth having a look at!

3. Xocrates says:

Finishing up Pre-Sequel, some Beyond Earth, probably checking out the Halloween stuff in League of Legends, trying to put some decent time in Massive Chalice, and maybe do some more Heroes of the Storm.

These have been some busy couple weeks on the game front :P

• Ben Barrett says:

It’s been pretty nuts, plus all the sales are about to happen so backlogs will grow. Gonna be a good couple of months.

• Bodylotion says:

You’re already finishing up on Pre-Sequel ? The main story or just all together ?

• Xocrates says:

Main Story + sidequests

EDIT: Just finished (minus raid boss), those were a lot of bosses D:

4. CaptainHairy says:

Still Path of Exile. I have a fever, and the only cure is more Silverbranches.

5. gruia says:

Heroes Chronicles . top writing right here.

the reason i loved H2-3 and co, and didn;t the rest of the series

6. brgillespie says:

Still just grinding through season 1 (hardcore) in Diablo 3.

I listen to stuff like Revamp, Epica, Nightwish, etc while playing. Just kind of zone out, dive into fantasy and avoid reality… for a little while. :)

• nindustrial says:

Heartily approve of the Epica and Nightwish while playing D3 (never listened to Revamp). Power metal mixes so smooth with that game, and Nightwish makes just about anything better as a soundtrack. May I also suggest, if black metal is likewise up your alley, that Gorgoroth makes a splendid evil soundtrack for D3. I would also suggest Emperor’s Prometheus album as well as old school Metallica.

• brgillespie says:

Revamp is symphonic, with a bit of progressive metal thrown in. I think the message of most black metal is goofy, but it absolutely fit Diablo 3’s gameplay, so thanks for that suggestion. :)

7. KDR_11k says:

Well, Revolver 360 Reactor just came out on Steam… Been waiting for an accessible release of that for a while now.

Other than that I’ll be building more elaborate death machines (or more likely fail at doing so…) in From The Depths which is extremely complicated compared to games like Robocraft, Space Engineers or Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts.

cairbre says:

I think I am going to buy civ v beyond earth. Does the hive mind have a view on this?

Lexx87 says:

Next week! (read up!)

• Gap Gen says:

So a lot of people I know are playing it but also inevitably comparing it unfavourably to SMAC. It’s a good game, and stuff like the tech tree is well thought out, but sometimes it also does feel a lot like a reskinned Civ V. There’s also a problem with the writing and general worldbuilding being a bit patchy and not really feeding into a coherent whole like SMAC did really well, which isn’t an issue for Civ because you already have ideas about who Napoleon and Cleopatra were, but here it’s a big problem for immersion because it never has a sense of place or history beyond the immediate.

• Horg says:

With those weaknesses it should give the dev team some direction for expansions. Hopefully we will get some more substantial content to flesh out the existing factions and the alien world, rather than lots of piddling little DLCs adding in more lackluster factions. If they go down the latter route I can’t see them selling well.

• Gap Gen says:

I don’t think that’s really the issue. It’s that at its core, the game isn’t a narrative one, and whereas SMAC was minimalist it had a sense of what its narrative was and that poured out of every piece of flavour text as a result. This feels more like an eclectic bunch of sci fi stuff with not much thought as to how it fits together, which is harder to rein in after the fact. This is less of an issue for Civ because we more or less know what happens in real history, but for a sci fi game building a sense of what your world is like and where you’re going with it is more important. It still has good points, but this is the biggest niggle I have with it.

• LionsPhil says:

Yes; SMAC is a good example of a game having writing, not just a story. (What traditional game story it had was fairly minimal and delivered with the odd text-screen infodump.)

• Horg says:

I think that improving the faction identity and the interaction with the alien world are the best ways to make the game feel less like a re-skinned Civ 5. I agree that SMAC had a much better narrative and felt more coherent, but I doubt that Firaxis will devote a lot of time to improving that. Mods defiantly will though.

• bonuswavepilot says:

Yeah, it is very Civ V-like and there’s a lot to like here – tech web thing is good, and I like the initially hostile planet (miasma and aliens rather more dangerous than barbarians, although also less prone to attack if you don’t antagonise them), but the worldbuilding is nowhere near AC (but really, what is?). Text accompanying advancements and the stuff the other leaders say are very vanilla, and what personality there is isn’t tied enough to any particular leader, so without the familiarity of historical leaders, I have found it a bit difficult to keep track of who is who.

That said, I’ve put a fun few hours into it already, and I can see it eating many more before it gets shuffled from my play list. (Especially given the likelihood that DLC will improve it, if recent CIvs are any indication).

cairbre says:

I bought it. I have been having fun with it. I have played civ since civ one on the Amiga. I was never not going to get it. But you do sometimes wonder should you really wait until all the expansions are out.

• JohnnyPanzer says:

I’m enjoying it a lot, and so far I consider it to be better than civ5. Depends on playtsyle I guess.

As an avid roleplayer, it’s a perfect fit for me. I love the new quests, allowing me to form a coherent story and they nailed the setting and raw feeling of a brand new world. The setup options are extremely streamlined, yet interesting enough to make me truly enjoy the setup phase to a great degree.

Mind you, I am no-where near the end game yet, but I rarely care much about that as long as I can roleplay and create a great story on the way there, and in that regard I feel beyond earth is way better than regular civ.

As far as mechanics go, I’d say the aliens are the best new addition. They are much more than reskinned barbarians. They react to you actions and provide a far more interesting problem than regular old barbarians, whiule still being somewhat unpredictable. They pose a pretty serious threat early on, and choosing the pacifist way can be both rewarding and difficult as they are numerous enough to block access to a lot of resources, while strong enough to make you think twice about stirring up the hornet nest. I just love the dynamics so far.

Hope that helps a bit, I need to play more to provide more input.

edit: A few more things to add. The pace is much slower than civ and you have to plan further ahead. This is something I enjoy a lot, since I can’t handle stress. The early game is not as much a race towards a second city, but rather about anticipating what may or may not go down further down the line. Once again, the aliens play a big role here. If you decide to be aggressive towards them, you pretty much HAVE to focus on military might, as the aliens can put up a pretty decent fight early on. On the other hand, leaving them along can seriously hamper your early development as they will block access to resources and will attack trade convoys coming too close to their nests but as far as I can tell the rewards for setting up a coexistance provide some pretty big bonuses later on…

• Cinek says:

Let me give you an example on how much Beyond Earth isn’t a race towards cities: I have 4 right now (3 large and 2 tiny cities) and I’m 20 turns away from winning the game, playing on normal, standard map size. Something like that was pretty much unthinkable for me in civV – I was either crushed or badly outrun by the AI in technologies. Here I’m constantly stealing science from everyone around, upgrading my cities and after years of stable growth – I progressed to unlocking few final techs needed to build a BrainFlower wonder, got that, and now wait till clock is ticking. My only worry is a war, cause there are 3 fractions able to kick my ass badly, but I give them presents, so it should keep their mouth shut ;)

• Xocrates says:

Actually went to bed at 4 am yesterday just to finish a game of it :P

Anyways, at the start it felt very Civ V-y, but the more I progressed, it became evident it’s very different in many aspects. They way you advance and what to focus on is very different (wonders are a good example, due to the tech web you’re rarely racing for them since few civs will even try getting them), and the way you interact with the world is quite important.

The biggest problem, as mentioned, are the other leaders, not only because they’re less interesting than the historic characters from previous civs, but because you generally have less reasons to interact with them – luxury resources are out, for example, so less reasons to bargain to trade.

But overall, I’m quite enjoying it.

• Chuckleluck says:

I agree the way wonders relate to the tech web is a welcome addition. Trading does seem less necessary, but in my experience the AI are generally more rational. I could cooperate and ally myself with AI without having to hand over buckets of money.

9. Firkragg says:

I’ve been playing Legend of Grimrock 2 and will continue to over the weekend. On my 3rd restart on hard, oldschool mode. Going in a third time with the experience from the first two runs, the first segment was so easy I had to restart because I thought I’d forgotten to select hard, which I hadn’t, I’d only managed to not shoot myself in the foot with a bad party configuration.
    Highly recommendable.

• DrScuttles says:

Party configuration is causing me undue stress in Grimrock 2 and I’ve barely dented the game. Same thing happened in Grimrock 1 though. But then there’s more skills and classes and bits and bobs in this one and it seems like there’s just more room to end up with characters swinging at a mushroom with the wrong end of their sword and hitting themselves in the eye like a right bunch of muppets.

• Caiman says:

I usually find it’s simpler to use the predefined party at first, then tweak it after an hour’s play if there’s something you don’t like, but essentially run through the game first time like that. Then for subsequent playthroughs you create your own party, by then you’ll have a much better idea of how you’d like to approach it, whereas when you’re starting out you really have no idea what to expect.

In Grimlock 2 I took the default party type but modified it slightly to the way I wanted (insectoid mage!) and I’m having a blast. About 15 hours in, and I’ve reached 16 out of 34 possible locations. Holy moley, it’s certainly much bigger than the first game, and much as I enjoyed Grimlock 1 I’m very happy that the sequel is so much better. Easily my favourite game of 2014 so far.

• Zanchito says:

Chalk another one up for Grimrock the second. Enjoying it greatly, even better than the original!

• Synesthesia says:

it’s fucking fantastic, isn’t it? I’m a bit worried i might be close to finishing it. I don’t wanna!

Also, i caved and boucht the beta for elite dangerous. So that, too. There are no words. The first time you leave a station and see the space… tears, man.

10. McKillem says:

Robbing banks and cooking meth in Payday 2. It’s been getting an update every day for a week now, and will get 3 more updates in the days coming.

11. Laurentius says:

Probably a bit of Borderlands 2, last four levels of Hexcells:Infinite -man , these are hard, and I started a fresh playthrough of Shadowrun:Returns-Deadman’s switch.

particlese says:

I had way more fun with the recently-patched Awesomenauts last night than I should have, so there will definitely be more of that. I started level 6-5 of Hexcells Infinite afterward to ramp down for the night, but my brain wasn’t having any of it, so I’m going to try to reverse those operations this evening.

• Vurogj says:

Yup, Awesomenauts new patch has got me interested again as well. The new guy Scoop is a lot of fun, and has great voice work.

13. P.Funk says:

rFactor 2 has suddenly become important to me. I have an itch for some endless Papers Please.

14. NickM says:

I was planning to play Civ: Beyond Earth but I preordered from GameTap to avoid the Aussie Tax and they haven’t sent me an activation code yet or responded to my support request. Grumpy. Instead I’m getting ventilated by synths in Wasteland 2

• JohnnyPanzer says:

What’s the deal with Australia and games anyway? I constantly feel sorry for you guys (Swedish myself) and it feels like every other article features at least a few comments from aussies talking about how they’re having problems either getting their hands on the game, getting a bank loan large enough to buy it or being shot on sight for playing it.

Seriously, whenever a european complains about the stupidly common 50 USD = 50 EURO conversion, some poor Australian will always go “here it costs five grands and three years in labor camp”.

Did a game sleep with the wife of a PM or something?

• NickM says:

It’s not just games, its all sorts of things. I’ve always assumed that it came from pricing of physical goods which were expensive to ship over etc. When digital products became normal, the companies didn’t want to give up their margins. We pay massively more for cable etc as well: link to abc.net.au

To make this even worse, gametap sold me the game and then took three days to tell me that they had actually run out of keys and so they’d have to refund me (something that takes three weeks).

Sigh.

15. Morph says:

Lots of Borderland Pre Sequel in co-op and solo. It’s not as good or polished as BL2, but it’s fun to have more content. We liken it to the Arkham Origins of Borderlands.

• inf says:

More content? The gazzillion amounts of DLC that came with the previous two games wasn’t enough?

To each his own, but i had seen enough of Borderlands six hours into the original. I can only keep shooting bloated HP targets for so long. In my opinion the game desperately needs more depth to its RPG systems, or make it’s shooting mechanics, enemies and locations more interesting (gameplay wise).

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Do the right thing and use the right weapon and you’ll discover that few enemies are really HP bloated.

It’s part of the design, stuff can die in one second or 2 minutes depending on a whole bunch of things, like synergy between items and builds, the right element for the job and so on. The depth is most definitely there.

As a random example, i found a legendary shield for Athena that does impossible melee damage when it’s depleted, then i have a lot of melee empowering talents and to top it off a dash attack that resets on kills or bleeds. The funny thing is that anything dies in 1 shot, so the CD is always reset. This changes the gameplay a lot because you need to intentionally be very fragile, which means that you must hurry to dispatch foes, constantly zapping around wether on the ground or the sky.

You can even solo the raid boss designed for 4 people, although that takes more hits and more risks, off course.

This is just one random example. You can play BL games like the most boring cover shooters in the whole history of gaming, OR you can turn them into some of the most frenetic and lighting fast experiences around.

If you admittedly didn’t love BL2 for a reason or another, it’s no surprise that you don’t understand why a lot of fans will keep asking for more.

Eitherway, a good disclaimer is due: I still want BL3 even if i found the pre-sequel a little disappointing, but this time around i really want a big overhaul. Unreal Engine 4 wouldn’t hurt.

• welverin says:

Well, if inf stopped playing Borderlands six hours in, I think it’s safe to say they never played Borderlands 2.

One time while playing BL2 with friends we decided to fight one of the raid bosses and I ran off to a vending machine to sell stuff. As I was off on my own I saw it’s health bar ticking off a pixel at a time, eventually one of them asked if I was coming and I told him I had already beat that one and all of a sudden it’s health just evaporated and it it was dead in seconds.

Um, so yeah, how you fight things and with what makes a big difference.

I figure I’ll also play some Pre-Sequel this weekend, though I suspect I’ll spend more time with the Scream Fortress Redux (I want to get some spells before this years version starts).

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

That might also be an extreme case of some people having fun with “The Bee”, but yes, generally even the right white weapon can be better than a stupid purple one that is not fit for the job ( i’m pushing it for the sake of making a point ).

There’s some ideal stuff for any character and build, and some synergies are really over the top impressive.

That’s the shield i was talking about earlier btw, with the right talents it can almost one shot even a regular boss, or big stuff like the secret boss Iwajira or what-was-the-name: link to goo.gl to be coupled with this http:link to goo.gl and other stuff.

• Morph says:

I knew when I mentioned Borderlands it would bring out at least one grumpy person. Some people just hate fun.

16. JiminyJickers says:

I’ve already played many hours of Beyond Earth and will continue to do so over the weekend. Just can’t stop, must have one more turn, haha.

17. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I can’t seem to put down Broforce. It’s incredible fun and it keeps getting updated with new levels and characters, and I must have played through all of them an infinite number of times. Also I just discovered a bug where you can sail into the sky riding on a pig if you stand on it slightly to one side and keep meleeing it.

• jnqvist says:

Broforce? I remember playing the demo couple of years ago,finishing it numerous times. Gotta check it out instantly,been missing Bladebro quite a lot…

18. LionsPhil says:

I’m playing “can I unstack and try to repair the XP box from the computower without breaking the modern(ish) blambox”, a fun game involving tangled cables, muscle cramp, and the risk of both old AMD spring-clip and Intel Core 2 heatsinks randomly popping loose.

19. mpk says:

Civilization Beyond Earth. So far it’s been so disappointingly similiar to Civ V Brave New World that it’s effectively just Civ V IN SPACE.

Built a worker. IN SPACE.
    Improved a tile. IN SPACE.
    Had my explorer unit eaten by an alien lifeform which may or may not have used the scattered remains to incubate and gestate its young. IN SPACE.

Also: siege worms are dicks.

• cptgone says:

dickworms \o/

• Gap Gen says:

I think at the start alien life isn’t hostile, it happens to wander into your units sometimes. Lost a colony pod that way.

• mpk says:

I could see that argument working for the Wolf Beetles or Siege Worms (especially those, they just seem to move at random), but I’ve had Manticores bombard me from two tiles away without any agression from my units.

• LionsPhil says:

Making the initial barbarians so strong and random in a game about expotential power growth seems like a good way to screw the game design to be heavily luck-based.

The difference between getting a second city up and having your settlers used as unwilling surrogate mothers for ravenous alien larvae seems like it would be somewhat make-or-break beyond low difficulty levels.

• mpk says:

I’ve started a few games now, trying to get a handle on ‘best’ early game conditions. Found one colony, on a small map, completely over run by by aliens after spawning near two miasma-covered nests. On another, on a massive map, the only aliens I saw in the first fifty turns were the three Siege Worms taking turns to troll me

• JohnnyPanzer says:

I’d say that the fact that quickly getting a second city set up is no longer a must speaks volumes of how different the game is from civ, but that’s just me. Go for expansion too soon and you’re screwed.

I think it’s a matter of preferences. I’ve always hated the fact that the early parts of Civ are set up like a starcraft match: follow a very specific build to the letter, do it as fast as humanly possible and do it in exactly the same way each time you start a new game.

I love the increased randomness. In Civ the initial challenge is almost identical each time and it’s a purely speed-based one at that. So far I’ve started about five campaigns in BE, and they have all been playable but have also varied GREATLY in difficulty due to the randomness. I feel like BE plays out more like the turn based game it is, while Civ has always felt more like a twitch based RTS that’s weirdly divided up in turns. I love both games, but so far BE suits my playstyle much better.

• nindustrial says:

Agreed. I’m 200 turns in and this game is absolutely not about getting a second city as soon as you can. Granted I’m on normal difficulty, but I am in first with three cities, took eons to expand both times, never attacked an alien despite a nest causing swarms around my second city, and yet am crushing the science and am comfortably heading toward transcendence. Aliens a problem with cities or convoys? Build the perimeter fences. It even gave me a quest decision that permanently protected trade convoys and vessels from aliens for the rest of the game. (That might be because I’m playing Harmony? Even if so, just goes to show the strength of the affinity system).

While it’s definitely based solidly on Civ V, I think a lot of the complaints that it’s a re-skin are simply based in not having played it enough, combined with failing to really consider the depth of the differences that are there.

• LionsPhil says:

Sure, and I agree with you about randomness across playthroughs, but from what I’ve been reading it seems to have an alarming amount of randomless between players in the same game. Since aliens smashing your production output is a handicap, not just a variation in challenge, this seems somewhat concerning?

(I obviously haven’t played it yet.)

• nindustrial says:

Potentially good point. Being in the midst of my first and only game, I can’t remark, but I agree that would be troubling.

• Cinek says:

It’s far less troubling than it looks – aliens are everywhere around, so everyone are equally screwed. In no way I felt like any of the factions ended up more or less screwed than I did. Game picks starting position in a very smart way.

Still it’s by far more important if you start near good resources or not. Much like in civV when you can get screwed by RNG. And as for your second city – well, you have enough time to explore and choose where you want to have it, so if you’re getting screwed by aliens – it’s your own fault.

Ps. Damn you RPS readers – bought Beyond Earth because of you!

• JohnnyPanzer says:

In my opinion the randomness between players is increased but in a good way. Yes, one player can end up with a ton of alien nests on their doorstep, while another barely sees a single alien in the early game. But such massive differences seems rare so far.

There are also other random factors, such as the location of trade stations and how many competing factions you’ll have as close neighbours, and that does seem a bit more random than in regular Civ. However, I consider that a good thing. One of the things I’ve always found annoying about Civ is how locked the positions tend to be. If you find yourself slightly on top early on you might as well stop playing, because you’ve allready won. I find that the positions are much more fluid in BE.

In my current game (250 turns in) the top three positions have fluctuated wildly and no one is a clear winner yet. The Slavics, for example, went from a minor nuisance to my current top competitor, and that’s something that has NEVER happened to me in Civ.

20. Cinek says:

Shadow of Mordor here.
    But won’t be playing much – wanted to do some stuff on Wikipedia and have to finish off one thing for work.

• ncnavguy says:

Ditto, Playing through Shadow of Mordor this weekend with a little evil within sprinkled on the side.

21. Bodylotion says:

I will probably continue playing Fallout New Vegas again, because I don’t use the fast travel option much (unless i really get frustrated about walking) this game always takes a lot of my time. I might try to play STALKER Call Of Pripyat again (due to your survival week) with the Misery mod but somehow the game uses an extreme lot of memory, even though my PC is fairly new, gotta look into that….

Might try to play Underrail again, it’s a really good game but requires a lot of patience and thinking and i’ve been playing some Zafehouse diaries today.

• inf says:

Underrail is an incredible gem. I’m holding off playing more of it till it’s finished. It’s the closest any game has come to Fallout, with actually more in depth combat.

22. Llewyn says:

Got sucked back into WoW recently… Lured in by dear friends, but spat back out by cheap Blizzard tricks, so this weekend will be focused on other things – EUIV, hopefully the Door Kickers final release, maybe some Assetto Corsa, and sadly some studying too.

23. dethtoll says:

Because I am out of my mind I’ve decided to play through all of the modern (read: 1990s and up) Aliens FPS games, starting from Alien vs Predator for Jaguar through to Alien: Isolation.

AvP Jaguar was an interesting and unorthodox bit of fun, and now I’ve moved on to Alien Trilogy for Playstation, which stands tall as one of the most atmospheric games I’ve ever played, with a truly fantastic soundtrack.

24. Vortex_ says:

Lots of runs in Shattered Planet!

Bluerps says:

Hopefully, I’ll finally be able to start the CK2 campaign I wanted to start since last week.

26. Honigsenf says:

Asetto Corsa- there are so many tracks and cars to tryout, even rallytracks ( downloads from racedepartment ). Also very nice – hanging around in one of the snoopy nordschleife online sessions and cruising with other players. the meetups and talks on the nordschleife parking lot remember me to TDU times :)

Wreckfest aka Next Car Game – it runs very stable now, without stuttering or loosing connection to server, racing on figure 8 is sooo random fun :)

MTA San Andreas Carball – soccer with cars, very good implemented

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Uh, i’ve never really dabbled in this particular aspect of Cornetto, and recently i was just having some random fun in the career, which i admit is mostly a checklist feature and little else.

Very interesting, though i still keep hoping for their own laserscanned version, although i’m not sure it’s really that feasible, economically speaking.

It’d be the first game ever made with a laserscanned Nurby though, the marketing potential is rather huge.

27. Fomorian1988 says:

The first part of Dreamfall Chapters – I’ve been waiting 8 years to visit Stark and Arcadia again. Though the opening cutscene twisted the knife in the wound in my heart I thought long healed.

• Horg says:

I feel like waiting for the entire series to be finished before diving into chapters. If I can last 8 years with that cliff hanger ending, I can last another one or two. Until then, spoiler defense mode engaged.

• Vandelay says:

I’m with you there (and amazed that we are this far down before any mentioned it!)

Finally got my way through replaying Dreamfall, so I’m all ready to get going with Chapters. Played the opening chapter last night and so far so good. That opening sequence was one of the most beautiful moments I’ve seen in gaming and I really enjoy the way dialogue works. Also, I might be alone in thinking this, but I actually prefer the new voice actor for Zoe.

I will also be getting back into some Alien: Isolation, as that took a back seat while playing Dreamfall. I’ve also just picked up Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for the Wii U, but will probably not get a chance to play any of that until I finish up with the other stuff.

That is not to mention continuing with Injustice: Gods Among Us and exploring the technical alpha of Deliverance: Kingdom Come. Too many games!!

28. Om says:

I’ve been diving into ‘Shadowrun: Dragonfall’ these past few days and have been surprisingly impressed. It’s a smart, well-written party RPG. Really enjoying myself so far.

29. skyturnedred says:

Backlog clearing! Trying to finish Max Payne 3 so I can free up some hard drive space. Then I’ll move on to finally finishing Sleeping Dogs.

• BreadBitten says:

Max Payne 3 was possibly the best shooter I’d played in years, need to get the PC version someday and see how my system racks up.

30. Jamesworkshop says:

played some reaper of souls, then had to go out, now going to get legend of grimrock 2 sorted and i’ll be playing that

31. HiFiHair says:

Dabbling in some Elite Dangerous beta 2.

• Sarble says:

Yeah, I’ll be trying to get into combat again, after getting rammed to pieces by a Cobra and then smearing myself over three space stations. And accidentally picking up a 7500CR fine for carrying stolen goods.

32. bleeters says:

I have no idea, honestly. Probably Guild Wars 2, but I’m starting to suffer fatigue with that. I’d planned to give swtor another bash, but the mechanics and f2p model feel so stale by comparison. The latter is pretty blatantly designed towards pushing people into subscribing.

Maybe give Divinity Original Sin another go. I kind of lost interest when they were rolling out patches that required restarts to get the benefit of, but it’s been a while now.

33. Philomelle says:

Just finished Alan Wake. It helped immensely with my writer’s block, especially during the Writer DLC and how it explores psychology behind that “condition”.

Currently playing Killer Is Dead. It’s… strange and not entirely what I expected. I think I would need to write a couple essays on how I enjoy its mucking with stereotypes and expectations from different scenes.

34. beardedkeet says:

Hammerwatch. Found a cassette copy of Gauntlet 2 which brought back huddling around a speccy dodging that creepy Death sprite. Not sure about the recent remake. You can’t shoot the food in Hammerwatch.

35. Jonfon says:

Messing around with a custom Cult faction in Endless Legend, until my paycheck materialises and then Beyond Earth.

But my start point was so good its turning into a steamroll.

36. Jim_Lahey says:

I am completely and hopelessly addicted to Neo Scavenger, and I’m going to be trying Dark Scavenger today too

37. captain nemo says:

I’m going to give Dwarf Fortress a go. Been watching the Pc Gamer ‘A Newbie plays DF’ videos and it looks intriguing (though the UI looks like a challenge)

• Kaeoschassis says:

Best of luck to you!
      As someone who’s dived into DF multiple times over the years (and eventually, mostly, got it figured out), I can definitely say the interace is uh… an experience. There isn’t really a magical point where it suddenly all clicks, it’s a muddled mess, but stick with it. Sooner or later you’ll realise you got so distracted by all the hilarious emergent goings-on that you learned the interface more or less by accident.

38. JustAchaP says:

Playing the ARMA 3 free weekend

39. Hardlylikely says:

Civ: BE has a demo! There’s the rest of my weekend. Thanks Firaxis.

Even though I’ll most likely buy the game, a demo is worth downloading on principle these days. Nothing wrong with making an informed purchase either.

Arma 3 has me this week. Other than that I’ll be playing with various Rift DK2 demos and making my own little experimental scenes.

40. InternetBatman says:

Playing modded Baldurs Gate I/II for the first time. Sword Coast Stratagems makes a huge difference in BG I, makes it much better. I ended up removing it for BGII, mage fights do not get more fun once they take three years because 3/4 of the spellbook is used on protections. Unfinished business is pretty cool though.

41. golem09 says:

After two years it’s finally time for Fus Roh Dah for me again. with ALL OF DEM MODS

• Coldyham says:

Same mostly. Installed frostfall etc after the survival week post, but also hopefully testing my text adventure if I get round to doing anything on it.

42. Keymonk says:

Probably a mix between the new Borderlands’ new game +, Awesomenauts and some League of Legends.

43. National_Insecurity says:

I bought the Civilization Beyond Earth yesterday so im gonna be playing that for the most of my free time.

44. fish99 says:

Still doing my Skyrim no fast-travel (2nd) playthrough. Finished up the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests lines (2 of the better ones) so not much left now, just half the main quest line and one-off quests. Both DLCs already done.

Looking forward to moving onto some Shadows or Mordor sometime this week.

45. tsff22 says:

Hmm…let’s see.

Tales of Maj’Eyal
    Blackbay Asylum
    Dynasty Warriors 8 XL
    Ys Origin
    Legend of Heroes; Trails in the Sky
    Maybe some Borderlands 2
    Probably Dragonfall Directors Cut
    Might finally start Wizards of the Square Tablet
    Probably SotS: The Pit and/or Shovel Knight
    Probably State of Decay
    DEFINITELY some more Wrack

46. Randomer says:

You bastards got me back into Mount and Blade: Warband, so now my life is wasting away whilst I sit at my desk and continue to promise myself “Just one more battle!”. I’m trying out the Prophesy of Pendor campaign this time.

• BlackeyeVuk says:

If you gonna try PoP , I have some bad news for your already crushed life.
      Its beyond better then vanilla game. So better, its not even funny.

47. Demiath says:

The game I’m look forward to the most this autumn is Dragon Age: Inquisition, so now I’m 65+ hours into my Nightmare difficulty playthrough of Dragon Age II (with saves imported from a 70+ hour Dragon Age: Origins playthrough of the same difficulty).

48. CloudPS says:

Unity of Command, Red Turn – fantastic game!

49. melnificent says:

I’m playing hard drive roulette. Two mechanical ones failed within days of each other. So this weekend is dedicated to SSD upgrade and practicing on surgeon simulator before going in for surgery on Monday. That’s fine right?

50. mrwonko says:

So far, it was Payday 2, which I just bought. I can see myself playing a lot of that, but not this weekend.

Instead, I’ll spend this evening playing “OMG I need to finally do this uni assignment”, followed by participating in the 0h game jam. I think I’ll give Twine a try for that.

Tomorrow will mostly consist of “wait, how do relationships work again?” – anybody know a good walkthrough for that? If previous levels are anything to go by, it will involve some local multiplayer gaming and a movie and be pretty awkward, but thoroughly enjoyable.