Stranded Devs Release Teaser For Next Game: Murder

Are you sure?

In what’s becoming a weekend theme, I’ve found another teaser trailer that excites me despite little else to back it up. We do at least have more than a Greenlight page and nameless developer to go on this time. Murder is a cyberpunk point’n’click from Peter Moorhead and team, those behind Stranded which got the Cara-stamp-of-approval in February. Like their previous project, Murder is gorgeous, mysterious and slightly terrifying. Have a look below.

It’s personal preference, obviously, but I love this edge-of-the-abyss style pre-apocalypse story. Obviously I don’t know what Murder’s endgame will be, but the moment just before everything goes wrong is fascinating. It’s why the two part Second Renaissance story in The Animatrix is so much more interesting than the trilogy itself. It’s why the opening chapters of World War Z and Robopocalypse are better than the latter halves of those books. Discovery, understanding and oncoming despair in one neat package.

Here’s the official line on the game:

From the designer and artists behind “Stranded” comes a short story about
the intersection of morality and sentience, in a future where both have become commodities.

Follow the actions of Lietenant Motomeru Minori of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police, on what quickly turns out to be a very unusual, very dangerous case.

They go on to say that Murder will be drawing inspiration from, among others, Akira and Ghost In The Shell for story and setting. Fullbright and Blendo Games are name-dropped as well, saying “Murder aims to bring engaging environmental storytelling and confident cinematic flair” in the style of those studios. I’m excited. Keep your eyes on the website for more info as development continues.

1. SAeN says:

Where are the graphics?

Hodge says:

Man! I’d completely forgotten about Stranded, so thanks for the memory jab.

The newie looks amazing too. This Moorhead fellow really knows how to tick my boxes.

3. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

That sounds like a fine stable to influences on which to draw. I hope they already know that the trick to influences is to baste them, not to lightly sprinkle them on top.

4. Davka says:

Great! Waiting for such a thing!

5. TychoCelchuuu says:

Stranded had a nice mood, great graphics, and a gorgeous soundtrack, but I found it to be somewhere between mediocre and dull on a lot of the other dimensions. It tried to achieve a contemplative mood in a game with basically nothing to do, and that’s always walking a pretty fine line which can easily tip over into tedium (or worse, boredom).

Murder sounds like it has a bit more substance on its bones so I’m looking forward to it. Stranded could definitely have used a bit more going on, so to speak, or otherwise it could’ve stood to be shorter.

6. Jiskra says:

Kinda reminds me of Blackwell games. Smoking on balcony … was it Unbound ? :)

tigerfort says:

Shouldn’t that be “the stamp of Carapproval”?

8. JiminyJickers says:

Hmm, looks great, love the style. Will keep a sharp eye out on this one.

9. celticdr says:

You had me at Cyberpunk.

10. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I’m very hesitant to pick up anything after Stranded. It was neat, and I’m not usually one to point to play time as a negative, but I completed it in under an hour (having spent $8), and I was disappointed there wasn’t more to it. I guess that’s a positive in a way; still, I’ll definitely wait and see before I jump right in, which I didn’t do last time because of Cara’s write-up.

Risingson says:

It’s great that point n click adventures try the cyberpunk/sci fi genre so often, because right now it seems to be the only narrative genre (non fps, non action) that tries it. Meaning: why are there so few sci fi CRPG games?

12. Kefren says:

Balcony bit = homage to Blade Runner (PC), maybe link to 1.bp.blogspot.com

I loved going on my balcony to take in the sounds and sights.