Hope In A Drowned World: Submerged

So it ends...

Oh ay, zombies? Let’s all frolick about in meadows chased by walking corpses and pretending we’re engaging with the end of human civilisation. No, we won’t be turned or resurrected, we’ll simply sit by as sea levels rise then tear each other to pieces. In the end, almost all our accomplishments will be beneath the waves. A few pieces of technology will drift through space, calling out to a creator that’ll never recover, never rebuild, never grow big or advanced enough to ever hear them again.

Submerged‘s set in a similar world, but with a slightly more hopeful story. Hope! Hah! The very idea! Still, may as well have fun while we can, right?

Uppercut Games’ “exploration adventure” sees a sister searching an ancient drowned city for supplies to help her sick brother, sailing over sunken streets in a fishing boat. It is awfully pretty. We had a peek at screenshots in DevLog Watch a few months back, and now we have a lovely new trailer to watch:

Uppercut plan to release Submerged in “early 2015” if we’re even still around that long. Oh, we’ll still be here all right. We’ll still be here for painfully, horribly long. We’ll see what’s coming but it’ll be too late to change anything, and all we’ll be able to do is watch it happen. I’m optimistic that I’m just old enough to die before things turn truly awful.

1. Baggypants says:

“Uppercut Games’ “exploration adventure” sees a sister searching an ancient drowned ____ for supplies to help her sick brother”

So do I need to be an RPS supporter to be able to see the missing words? Or are RPS trying to extend the memory of the Blankety Blank chequebook and pen?

2. marak830 says:

That looks quite interesting. That music though! Quite haunting, im wondering if thats theirs or if they licensed something as i wouldnt mind throwing that into my coding mix.

• MistaJah says:

“…gorgeous visuals powered by Unreal Engine 4 and music by BAFTA Award-Winner Jeff Van Dyck…” from their homepage.

RPS should’ve also mentioned that they will demo their game at PAX, which is soon.

• marak830 says:

Ahh thanks was meabing to look it uo when i got home but slipped my mind.

3. Barberetti says:

Ooooooh yes. Bookmarked.

4. Eight Rooks says:

Oh, the Epoch folks! So they know how to do very pretty-looking games as it is, and Epoch 1 & 2 have some surprisingly good storytelling (good for games, period, never mind just railshooters on mobile devices). Yeah, definitely interested in this.

5. Monggerel says:

That soundtrack is the most inappropriate thing I ever seen since that one time Motoi Sakuraba met the Royal Rat Vanguard.

Throw some bluegrass at it for krysakes.

6. JimmyG says:

Shucks, it is pretty. Just guessing from the tone and the scenario, I’d expect it to play like Brothers or Ico. And while it could just imitate either and still be a nice game, I hope the devs bring something new to whatever genre that is. (And that the boat controls find the right balance between comically fast and aggravatingly slow.)

7. Buuurr says:

Meh… looks run of the mill. Another ‘survival’ game to ignore until coders stop watching Mick Dodge re-runs and Alaska crab shows…

8. padger says:

Does look alluring. But hmm.

9. communisthamster says:

I do like the “buildings sunk into the sea” aesthetic, as also seen in Battle Engine Aquila, Cowboy bebop and tsukimi no ie. Maybe this will be another one to add to the list.

10. Robstafarian says:

Am I the only person who is sensitive to the “big head, small body, long and narrow appendages ” aesthetic which is increasingly common lately (e.g. Disney princesses)?

11. Psychomorph says:

I watched the video with Quake’s Castle of the Damned track in the background. So much better mood.

…whiny games.

12. Arglebargle says:

This reminds me of the videos of the Australian floods, with sharks swimming through downtown environs, ignoring the underwater traffic lights and signs, investigating the new environments….

13. Arglebargle says:

They do need to work on things like the boat wake. That movement was palpably false. If you’ve ever been around any boats, it looks just wrong. Like it was magically floating over the water, not actually touching in any way.

• Amazon_warrior says:

I’ve spent very little time around boats, but this leapt out at me too – couldn’t stop seeing it. Hopefully they’ll do something about it before release.

Otherwise, I’m intrigued. I read and enjoyed Ballard’s Drowned World, could quite go for a setting that nods in that direction.

• particlese says:

To me, there’s so much wrong with the water (despite how pretty it is) it’s not even worth getting worked up about. It’s like watching a superhero movie and complaining about the physics.

Nevertheless, yeah, some indication of the boat moving through the water would be appreciated — even just sprites/decals spreading out from the edges.

14. particlese says:

I think water’s going to be running through the (nature) uncanny valley soon, too, what with the waves emerging from edifice walls and all, but for now, MAN that looks amazing.

I’m also really turned on by that “exploration adventure” tag of theirs. >_> Let’s hope you don’t have to spend too much time babysitting your brother, though. Maybe just drag him around, drop him on buttons to solve puzzles, try not to let him ragdoll into the ocean, or use him as a surf board if he does. (N.B.: That entire last sentence was written during opposite minute.)

Edit: I’d also totally be okay with this being a JRPG, but I think that’s because I got a low-to-medium-sized Chrono Cross vibe from the trailer.