Doom And Demonology: Tales Of Maj’Eyal DLC

Tales Of Maj’Eyal (TOME) is a proper roguelike rather than a roguelite or roguelike-like. I have nothing against Diet Roguelike but we’re reaching the point at which the new FIFA might chuck in a perma-relegation mode and claim to have roguelike tendencies. The truth is, I’m chuffed that aspects of Rogue have infiltrated the wider world of gaming but sometimes I like to retreat back into the ADOM/Hack/SLASHEM bubble so that I can send some serious time getting my ASCII on. TOME has tile graphics rather than venerable ASCII but it’s one of the modern giants of the genre, capable of absorbing entire weekends of my life. Today, it expands.

Does anyone want some lore? It has lots of silly words in it, with apostrophes crammed into the middle of them like clumsy sandwiches.

Eyal orbits a star called Shandral, but it is not the only world to do so. A world known as Mal’Rok to its inhabitants also orbits it, a world famous for many creatures that hail from it: creatures that people on Eyal call “demons”. The demons have one goal: the invasion of Eyal, by any means necessary.

So the demons are actually aliens by the sound of things. Does that mean the new Demonologist class is essentially Ellie Arroway?

Unlock the Demonologist class, a sword & board fighter that enhances her battle prowess by summoning demons and grafting them onto her weapons and armour. Powerful demonologists can even call upon the echoes of the Spellblaze itself.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Sadly, there’s no poet class to send in the demonologist’s place. Unless the Doombringer harbours a secret love of iambic pentameter and a tender Romantic soul.

Play as a Doombringer class, a master of destruction and pain that binds demonic forces to channel power through her massive two handed weapon.

Maybe so!

The Ashes of Urh’Rok has a new starting zone, demonic abductions, a ‘tinker’ system that opens up equipment modification, and new areas, artifacts and enemies. It will be available at 5pm today (UK time), priced at 40 Voratun coins. What’s a Voratun coin, you ask? TOME is free and coins are given to people who donate, as a thankyou – four Euros will get you 40 coins.

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about what sets TOME apart from other traditional roguelikes and I wrote lots of those thoughts down in my review.

1. lowprices says:

Maj’Eyal is my second “proper” roguelike after Dungeons of Dredmor, and after about an hours play I’m still utterly bewildered by it all, which seems the appropriate place to be early into a roguelike. It’s remarkably pacy for a complex game though, and unpicking the systems is proving to be a lot of fun, so I’ll definitely be picking this up sooner or later.

2. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

My favourite roguelike by far. Skills all being cooldown based, an autohealing/autoexplore button takes a huge amount what I feel to be boring grind away from roguelikes.

Still, have stopped playing it. Winning is usually just being super careful 100% of the time, losing is when you get bored and take a risk for fun.

But if you have any desire to try a roguelike, try TOME first. Or Dungeons of Dredmor. But mainly TOME.

• yabonn says:

Autoheal/autoexplore (and auto a whole lots of things) is – along the fun – what keeps me going back to DCSS. Will have to try Maj’Eyal.

Still : Blood and souls for Makhleb !

• nogglebeak says:

Xom laughs hysterically. If you like DCSS, you’ll like TOME. They’re my 2 favorite rogue-likes. Think of TOME a bit more like Angband with an open world and dungeons and areas to go into. It’s really well done.

3. Dread says:

“For those who purchased through Steam, logging in using your Steam account details at the official website should provide a surprise in the coin balance.”

What kind of suprise? I bought TOME on Steam half a year ago and my balance reads +60 from buying it on steam and -60 for unlocking the donators features, which is what you buy, when you get it on steam.

In any case, I’ll probably buy it, seems like a decent addition for 4€ and TOME is really a great (albeit at times frustrating, if you play on rogue-like) game.

Adam Smith says:

Ah, my mistake. I’ve got extra coins which I thought were from buying on Steam but they’re actually from an old TOME account. Edited. Thanks for pointing that out.

4. poetfoxpaul says:

I could never get into TOME – while I have a desperate love for more traditional roguelikes, TOME felt finicky and impenetrable to me – though that’s a very subjective opinion. My only real criticism of the game is that the world didn’t feel immersive enough to encourage me to tackle the various game systems.

Those who do enjoy it, what makes you like it over other roguelikes?

• gnodab says:

For me the main points are the skill system and the runes. TOME is one of the very few roguelikes to have an actually engaging melee system. You can’t just bump attack your way through the game, but have to make extensive use of all your skills and runes. This means that fights can become quite deep and rewarding quite fast. The removal of consumable items and the need to identify, ensures that you actually make use of everything you have at your disposal, instead of dying with a full inventory. It also means that there are no “cheap” instadeath scenarios or ways to permanently gimp your character.
      Taking all this together and adding the excellent UI (yes a proper roguelike with a decent UI!) makes this one of the most accessible roguelikes available. Also Darkgod works like a madman and the game has one of the most welcoming communities, so no need to fear that the game will be abandoned any time soon.

If you have some experience with roguelikes one of the main angles lore and gameplay wise is the rift between magic user and “magic-abolishers”. You can enter a town called Zigurat, fairly easily to open that gameplay aspect. choosing a side will have sever ingame consequences (ie barring you from using any type of arcane magic items).
      There is also a neat unlock system, achievements, an in game chat, an optional online mode to prevent save-scumming and so much more….
      So yeah, it’s pretty good. You can check out Roguelike Radio for some discussion of the game. I would put in some links, but every time I try to my posts get blocked, so google away.

5. suibhne says:

I bought this direct from the dev right before the Steam version was released. Does anyone here know if I can get a Steam key without repurchasing the game? I’ve poked around on the official site but haven’t found an answer. (Seems odd it’s not among the FAQs.)

• suibhne says:

Nvm, finally figured it out: login to your TE4 account, open your account settings, connect your account to your Steam account, then click the resulting button to add the game to your Steam library. It’s not complicated, but it is buried several screens deep and there’s no indication of the process elsewhere (that I found).

6. RanDomino says:

TOME looks great and the skill system is great, but the tactical combat got really boring and grindy for me after a while since you only have one character in the party. I know that’s the case for all roguelikes (why is there no Party-based roguelike? too fiddly to walk four people down a hallway, I suppose. I like Helherron’s approach. God that game needs to be remade.) but for TOME it seems worse perhaps because the game is so long and has so many redundant fights. Although, I haven’t played in a while, so maybe it’s better.

• beardedkeet says:

I think Steam Marines could be classified as a party based roguelike, albeit fairly basic compared to TOME.

• Yglorba says:

Technically the Alchemist has a two-person party, although you can only control one of them at a time.

Summoners can also unlock the ability to control their summons (again, you only control one character at a time), although those only stay around for a little bit.

There was an old roguelike called Guild that tried to have you controlling a four-person party, but sadly I think it’s abandoned.

7. Shardz says:

Thanks for the heads up! I just grabbed this for free on their site. Apparently, membership has its privileges! ToME and Stone Soup are on my list of amazing games that you cannot go wrong in supporting.