The Marvellous Miss Take Is Stylish, Make No Mistake

I experimented with crime once, attempting to take a free leaflet out of a magazine in a WH Smith without first buying the magazine. I got nervous and shaky and put the leaflet back before I could complete the crime, prompting a lifelong fascination with cons, capers, heists and the detectives that solve them. The Marvellous Miss Take pushes all those buttons formed by a childhood wasted in safe, law-abiding conformity, by being about a woman in a fabulous hat dodging guards, cameras and snuffling hounds to steal a museum’s-worth of art. Steal a glance at the trailer below.

That soundtrack! That art style! I could use some stealth mechanics in my life that weren’t tiring metaphors or about grimly slitting necks. I could use more games that look like they’re inspired by Hanna-Barbera cartoons.

There’s a pleasing amount of variety in the video also, both in the obstacles – I like the old ladies who tattle on you – and in your abilities, which seem to extend as far as an Unreal Tournament-style tossable teleportation disc.

I know very little else about the game besides, except that it was at both the Eurogamer and MCM Expos, which means that you might have played it while I have not. And you didn’t think to tell me, which is a thing we’ll have to talk about sternly later. I do know that the game is being made by a team of former Lionhead devs under the banner of Wonderstruck Games, the same people responsible for crowdfunded Minecraftbut Oort Online. I much prefer the look and style of Miss Take.

1. Chuckleluck says:

PC gaming desperately needs more happy games like this.

• Hex says:

If you like this, you should check out Invisible Inc.

I dunno if it’s happy, but it’s pretty much the same thing as Miss Take but turn based.

This looks very fun, either way — the planning you get in Invisible Inc, coupled with the high-intensity of direct control requiring split-second timing.

• thedosbox says:

One important difference – the levels in Invisible Inc are procedurally generated, which has made for some punishingly difficult levels.

• LogicalDash says:

Miss Take also resembles Monaco, though Monaco’s gadgets are much simpler what with the lack of real physics.

• SuddenSight says:

I think Monaco is my favorite of the speedy stealthers so far. I think it is the combination of more safe spots (bushes, air vents) and a strong emphasis on co-op. I still remember playing it with my GF and failing the same level more than 20 times in the same damn spot. Good times.

• LogicalDash says:

Oh… I suppose Monaco’s kinda happy. It’s cartoonish and silly at least.

• SuddenSight says:

Surprised no one has mentioned Not The Robots yet. Now I have. It is similar to this game.

• Chrysomore says:

Stop that, I was feeling wistful for No One Lives Forever for no real reason already.

2. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

That is indeed a fabulous hat.

3. loquee says:

Played that at Insomnia a while ago and it was already marvelous back then!
    Looking forward to playing this, the few levels I was able to fail at were pretty quick but challenging and most important, a lot of fun!

4. LionsPhil says:

Classy. I love the panicked, loot-scattering fleeing when detected.

5. Robstafarian says:

Stealing art in that hat? It looks like I am not the only person who remembers Carmen Sandiego

6. eggy toast says:

>>I do know that the game is being made by a team of former Lionhead devs

Optimism declining

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, but Molyneaux is not amongst them. (You can tell, because nobody has said that the museum visitors have unique and meaningful procedural emotional reactions to the dynamically generated artworks, touching them in relation to events in their lives outside of the museum play area, allowing you to sense the wider world without direct access to it.)

• The First Door says:

Well now, that cheered me up on a rainy, miserable morning!

7. XhomeB says:

It… reminds me of my beloved Commandos 1-2 in many ways.
    *sheds a manly tear of joy*

8. lordfrikk says:

Godspeed. This one looks great.

9. Messofanego says:

I loved what I played of this game at EGX. It’s a one-hand game. It’s point-and-click to move the character around and entirely based around the mouse. If you hold down LMB, then you’ll whistle. If you hold down RMB, you’ll throw a sound recorder (that you have to find on the level) to distract harder stuck guards. If you get caught, you drop all the stuff you stole and stick your hands up, but it’s so cute that failure just makes me laugh. I got to level 5 Trafalgar Square which is when the difficulty ramped up as cover points and using the sound recorder became priorities. After that, you unlock another playable enigmatic character who’s helping you out. I don’t know what else to say except that I’ll definitely buy the game when it comes out.

No violence whatsoever, all about stealing and running away. There is some decent challenge. Very ghosting-friendly.

It was interesting talking to the devs and finding out the character was supposed to be a male initially but I think the dev’s kid wanted to play a girl.