Eidos Anthology Has A Lot Of Good Games, Is Pricey

A rather strange addition to Steam’s Early Access list popped up over the weekend – the Eidos Anthology. Eidos, which sort of exists inside the maw of Square Enix, is no slouch when it comes to noteworthy games, and Eidos Montreal recently picked up a Golden Joystick for Best Hair or similar. An anthology of their games is quite the thing.

In a collection of quite enormous proportions, Square are selling 34 games (including all the Tomb Raiders, all the Thiefs, all the Deus Exes) and about forty-nine billion DLC packs at just over half the price of buying them individually. That price, however, is £160. Cor.

We’ve checked with Square, and the Early Access appearance is a mistake, due to Nosgoth’s inclusion in the deal. It obviously tripped some sort of switch at Valve, and rather than this being some sort of exciting ongoing deal, it has instead just been put on the wrong shelf. It seems our asking about this has brought it to Square’s attention, and they’re going to try to get it moved.

Which is a shame, a bit, I think. RPS-speculo-chat wondered if perhaps this was going to be some sort of super-exciting deal where spending such an enormous sum at once on Eidos games might secure you copies of forthcoming titles from the studios. Perhaps not realistic, but we imagined it for a moment, and that was fun.

What you in fact get is an awful lot of games, and some of them are awfully good. I’ll list them all here, in a useful way, because the mad splurge on the Steam page is a little overwhelming. So, in there you have:

The Deus Exes

Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Lara Croft And The Guardian Of Light
Tomb Raider

The Thiefs

Thief: Gold (The Dark Project)
Thief II: The Metal Age
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Thief

And then alongside all of those there’s also:

Battlestations Pacific
Battlestations: Midway
Blood Omen 2: Legacy Of Kain
Legacy Of Kain: Defiance
Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Just Cause
Just Cause 2
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
Nosgoth/Veteran Pack

And indeed every piece of DLC that’s been released for all of them.

It’s an awful lot of stuff. It, by my count, contains about twenty genuinely fantastic games – some of them in the top 10 ever. And yet, despite this, gosh, £160 looks like an awful lot of money. There’s no question you’re getting a good bargain here, should you somehow have stumbled through your life without playing the Deus Exes, Thiefs and Tomb Raiders, because you were maybe kidnapped by space monsters, or perhaps were only just born. I do wonder, though, if it might suddenly be the most popular thing on Steam, making Square’s profit worries a thing of the long past, if they’d made it something exceptional like £70.

1. AshRolls says:

This was £39.99 a few days ago. link to steamprices.com

• terkmahjerb says:

You beat me to it! :D
      Was on sale just a few days ago for about $50 so just wait for the next 75% off.

2. Deathmaster says:

I’m glad to see these big publisher bundles return to Steam. Back in the day (think 2006) – every summer sale on Steam was filled with those 250$ publisher game packs for 85% off orso. However, over the past 2-3 years they stopped appearing, with a few exceptions, but they were the highlight of every sale.

Now if Ubisoft and.. Activision can do the same, I’ll be sure to put some money on the side this Christmas.

• SuicideKing says:

Ubisoft will do it at 30 games per second, to make it look more cinematic.

• marak830 says:

“Ha!”. . . . .
        Thats the noise everyone is stairing at me for on the train, .
        The noise you caused!
        You thrice be damned commedian and destroyer of public decency!

Ok i think they have all stopped looking at me now(hard life being a foreigner in japan!, i can stop typing and ignoring them.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Activision would give CoD’s IP rights to Devolver Digital out of the kindness of their hearts before they’d allow their games to be purchased at a sensible price.

3. Optimaximal says:

Definitely a ‘wait for the Steam Sale’ thing…

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

This is blatantly why it’s been done like this. RPS seemed a bit derpy with this one, there will clearly be enough chances to pick this up in sales for the sort of price that will make more sense. at £160 a 66% sale puts it right around the £50 mark, 75% sale makes it £40. Both would be acceptable as the sort of price people will be looking to pay for this.

When Square do one of their “Square Weekend Sale” events on Steam they want EVERYTHING to be reduced, otherwise it won’t sell because people will say “I’ll wait for that on sale and buy something else”. Also making this thing £70ish off the bat would mean they couldn’t reduce it much, which makes it look less appealing in a sale when it is 33% off and everything else is 75% off, also it makes the games in the bundle look pricey in comparison if they are selling for £20 for a single game etc.

Everybody knows to wait for sales to buy something like this now, it’s not like they are new games, Square are just making sure they play the Steam Sale game correctly. Anyone interested in this will be buying for £40-50 in the winter sale and not £160.

4. derExperte says:

54,99€: link to store.eu.square-enix.com As far as I can tell it’s the same, was even cheaper a few days ago.

5. Little_Crow says:

It’s cases like this when you really want to be using the ‘Enhanced Steam’ extension for chrome and firefox: link to enhancedsteam.com
    It shows you stuff like lowest price across all sites, and previous lowest price, which as has been pointed out was waaaaaaay cheaper on Friday.

And for cases where a bundle contains a lot of separate items, it calculates how much buying each individual item you don’t already own in a bundle would cost allowing you to easily see if it actually saves you money or not.

Do it, Do it now!

• NathaI3 says:

Hang on, with this extension I can view my library and launch games straight from my browser? SOLD

I’m still exploring everything it does but this extension seems awesome

6. Smashbox says:

“Tombs Raider” … it’s like Attorneys General.

• Hex says:

Not it’s not. Raider and Attorney are the thing. Tomb and General are an adjective. You pluralize the thing, not the descriptor.

• Arren says:

Tomb is not an adjective, champ.

• Jason Moyer says:

In the context of “Tomb Raider” it’s certainly an adjective. It’s a word describing what sort of Raider we’re dealing with.

• Wang Tang says:

Like “river” is an adjective in the phrase “river bank”, describing what kind of bank it is?
            No. A noun is a noun, even if used for descriptive reasons.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

It is a noun (morphologically) but it is also an adjective (semantically). That’s pretty common in English!

7. iainl says:

I was about to say it’s there so they can drop it to half that or less in the next Steam Sale, and sure enough it’s true.

I think I’ve got most of the goodies in there already, however. Anyone who’s been on Steam for a few years probably does, such is the frequency that they’re reduced.

• Jalan says:

They already reduced it mere days ago.

I glanced at it and saw a bunch of “In your library” markers on most of the titles and the ones where they weren’t present were those I personally don’t care for so dropping money on this, sale or no sale (and at that MSRP who wouldn’t want to wait for the sale?), wasn’t meant to be for me.

phuzz says:

Pretty much worth it for Just Cause 2.

kencube says:

I bought it with $24.99 when it’s 75% off last friday.

Judging from the rate of those games go on sale, I’m pretty sure this anthology will be 50% off or more on the next big sale.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I really wish I had gotten this back when it was a Humble Bundle…

• Jalan says:

You still would’ve been missing a few (debatably) critical pieces.

11. SuicideKing says:

Okay, the bundle is currently for $100. No individual discounts, though, I wanted Blood Money. Probably Christmas, I guess.

12. gruia says:

Legacy of Kain + Commandos. Top tier games right there

13. Rikard Peterson says:

It’s missing my favourite Eidos game though: Project Eden.

(Disclaimer: I have not played all the games in this bundle. The Deus Exes in particular are both in my Steam library and on my to-play-later list.)