Sam & Max & X-Wing & TIE Fighter: GOG Get LucasArts

It's just luck, the Sam & Max promo board game, you know.

GOG weren’t the first joint in cyberspace slinging vintage video games, but they did get publishers digging a lot deeper into their archives (Good Old Games, they called themselves back in the day). Most publishers came to realise that hey, maybe it’s good for everyone if folks can buy our old games, but some were tangled in knots or lost in mysteries for yonks. It took almost five years for a group to free System Shock 2, and we’re still waiting for the best parts of the LucasArts catalogue.

Or we were, anyway. Here, they’re coming! Sam & Max Hit the Road, X-Wing, and TIE Fighter are now on GOG – the first time they’ve been on sale in years – as heralds of a re-release-o-rama.

GOG and Disney Interactive say “20+ classic titles” from Lucasfilm (film, Arts, whichever) will come to GOG in time, but they’ve kicked it off with only six.

X-Wing Special Edition and TIE Fighter Special Edition are £6.19 apiece, while Sam & Max Hit the Road is £3.69. They’ve been available elsewhere for a while, but you can also get The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for £6.19 (they’ll be £7.79 once launch discounts expire) and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is £3.69.

What might these other 15 or so games be? Cross your fingers, gang, for Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, and all the Monkey Island games. We probably won’t get Grim Fandango, as Double Fine are currently remastering that for re-release. It’s a fair bet that things already on Steam and other digital stores, like the Jedi Knight games, will be coming over too.

LucasArts games have dominated GOG’s community wishlist for years and I too am jolly glad to see some of them emerge from the archives. Sam & Max is one of only four PC games I still own on physical media, and I find possessions slightly unnerving.

1. Buemba says:

Anyone who doesn’t buy Sam & Max Hit the Road in on my blacklist.

• SanguineAngel says:

I already have it on CD ROM. It still works! Does this still qualify for blacklist status?

• snowgim says:

Pfft, I also have my original CD-Rom, but making use of it would require leaning over to pick it up, opening the jewel case, taking the disk out, opening my disc drive, putting the disc in, closing the disc drive. I’d gladly pay £3.69 to avoid all that work.

P.S. I’m not even joking.

• LionsPhil says:

I imported it into ScummVM long ago.

• TheSplund says:

It’s been Scummed-up on my tablet, phone, and PC (and even on my PDA some years back)

• jrodman says:

I feel a great deal of affection for Sam & Max as well.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I’m not even sure where the button for the disc drive is on this thing… IS there a button? Do I just sort of tap it? Is it voice activated…?
          Disc drive? Hello? Open! Disc drive, activate!

• Raoul Duke says:

People still have disc drives?

• MadTinkerer says:

Do we need to have bought it originally? I missed the original floppy release! I’m sorry! I have all of the Telltale seasons! I have DOTT! I have copies of thew first two Monkey Islands in multiple formats! Please don’t blacklist me!

I… I was going to bring over a casserole… sniff…

• Buemba says:

Sorry pal, but them’s the rules.

Leave the casserole at my door and walk away all forlorn-like while a sad song plays in your head. Tears are optional, but highly recommended.

• Rikard Peterson says:

I’ve already bought it twice. First the original CD release and then as part of a LucasArts bundle. It’s a good one.

I’d also like to encourage anyone who haven’t played Fate of Atlantis to go for it. These games have aged very well.

• TheTingler says:

Bought. Been waiting on a digital version for a long time, as I’ve only got an old White Label CD-Rom from around 1996!

I’m now hoping for Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, and Outlaws.

It actually upsets me to think of how great LucasArts was in the ’90s and how stupidly incompetent management just let it slip away. “Let’s not re-release any of our old games or release any new ones. That’s how you make money in games publishing!”

2. Xocrates says:

Never got to play DOTT or Full Throttle, so fingers crossed those come soon.

It’s so great this day has finally come.

3. Martel says:

Yay! I played so much TIE Fighter back in the day, can’t wait to fire it up again.

4. Guvornator says:

Sorry, Alice, but you can’t go around telling people X-Wing & Tie Fighter are going to be re-released without giving them a chair to sit down in and a paper bag to blow into. In other words:

EeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEE
    eeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEee!!!!

I need to sit down before I fall over…

I never thought I’d see them again.

5. Gravy100 says:

As if they’re weren’t enough games to play they go and release the best of the games…dammmmnnn youuuuuuu

6. LieutLaww says:

God bless Disney :p

7. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Splendid. Serve the Emperor above all others.

8. theapeofnaples says:

do x-wing/tie fighter still hold up In This Age?

• Guvornator says:

That’s my secret fear – that they turn out to be shit to my modern eyes. I’m especially worried about the sound. I played X-wing in total silence, as this back in the day when things like soundcards were a bit of a luxury item. What happens if the MIDIness of the audio is rubbish?

The thing that keeps me from biting my nails too much is the fact that there’s not actually been too much of that focussed space based dogfighting experience lately, so hopefully the gameplay is still relatively fresh.

• frymaster says:

tie fighter is a lot smoother than xwing iirc, but I never played the special edition version so who knows

• harcalion says:

In silence and with a mouse. Those were the days :).

• Guvornator says:

They were indeed, although the special editions require a joystick or gamepad. The originals are still playable with mouse and keyboard, and you get both in the package. I’m interested to see how it fares with my xbox360 controller.

EDIT: So here’s how it fared – interestingly. It doesn’t seem to recognise the right thumbstick, but that doesn’t matter really as you have to hold down a button to perform rolls. The default layout is awful – at least three buttons are dedicated to throttle controls, which are totally extraneous because the triggers act as the accelerator/break. Changing the buttons is a bit of a pain, as the joystick config, though flexible, requires a bit of figuring out. You pick a button, THEN assign a command to it, rather than the other way around. And you’ll still need the keyboard. But, on the plus side, other than ignoring the right thumbstick it had no issues recognising it and plays fine.

• Ross Angus says:

I used to play Descent, while listening to Main. A perfect soundtrack.

• Jason Lefkowitz says:

Nothing from that period is going to sound as good as games generally do today, but the good news is that X-Wing and TIE Fighter both used sound and music much more effectively than most contemporary games did. They both incorporated LucasArts’ iMUSE system, for instance, which let developers key music changes to game events; this made for a more dynamic soundtrack that could swell and intensify when you were bounced by an enemy fighter, and then relax again when the danger had passed. At the time, it was pretty revolutionary stuff. So if you keep your expectations set to “what games sounded like in the early ’90s,” you’ll probably be pretty pleasantly surprised with what you actually get.

• piphil says:

I used to plug my midi keyboard into my soundcard just to.play Tie Fighter. The music went from ‘plink-plonk’ to ‘epic’. Not even sure if I can do the same with my modern PC. Is midi still a thing on home PCs outside a studio?

• derbefrier says:

As someone who only played them for the first time about a year ago after hunting down some torrents…..they are a fucking blast. Sure the graphics are a bit dated but if you can get past that everything else is awesome. Except in the pirated version it kept crashing at a certain point so I will buy these in hopes those problems won’t exist.

• Det. Bullock says:

They hold up much better than the first two Wing Commander titles IMHO.
      The simple 3D graphics of the first X-wing give you a real sense of perspective, which helps A LOT in the menial task of “not crashing into spaceships larger than a fighter”, while the first X-wing is a tad frustrating here and there before figuring out exactly what to do and how and is more rough arounf the edges, Tie Fighter is simply perfection in its every part (also the win version while still having simplified iMuse for the sake of CDaudio is not slightly stripped down like the win version of Xwing).

• SuicideKing says:

Looking at the screenshots, no. But FreeSpace 2 costs the same and definitely does hold up.

• Flatley says:

It seems like there’s a lot of confusion about this (mainly from the various outlets that have been covering it): The GOG version includes the 1998 re-releases, which were ported over to the X-wing vs TIE Fighter engine of 1997. It’s a big leap from ’93 to ’97: Updated textures, better effects overall, and perhaps most importantly, the MIDI is replaced with the full orchestral soundtracks.

Gameplay-wise, the energy management system and plethora of wingman commands, coupled with nice touches like destructible hardpoints on capitol ships (in TIE Fighter) were years ahead of their time, and are still complex enough to hold their own today. Even a relatively modern game like Freelancer features quite simplistic combat compared to the X-Wing lineage. It’s Wing Commander that was known for a great story and underwhelming space combat; X-Wing is just the opposite.

9. Drake Sigar says:

Having money is overrated anyway.

10. Hex says:

Dear RPS,

Is there any way we can get a glossary of common fake words you people use? I take it “yonks” is “years,” or at least “very long time,” but what about chuff? Naff? I can’t even tell from context what naff is supposed to be. I frequently see “It’s a bit naff.” That’s it. Then nothing saying “This is the naff part” to help me discern just how naffy we’re talking.

Thanks!
    Hex

Harlander says:

Yonks – a district on the outskirts of London
      Chuff – to use a tool with an usually long handle such as a chimney-sweeping brush
      Naff – oblong

• DrScuttles says:

Biccie – the emotion felt after declaring platonic love to a dear friend only to release social awkwardness prevented you from actually saying anything at all
        Yobbo – tea
        Skint – a popular hot drink made from meat
        Quangos – the cheap and nasty pair of shoes given by your cobbler during the resoling of your best dress pair
        And of course let’s not forget “gravedigger’s biscuits”.

• Llewyn says:

You’re awfully mean, giving the poor foreigner some invented definitions merely for your own amusement.

Hex, pay them no heed. Courtesy, once more, of the OED:
        “yonk” – A name for the common type of native sailing vessel in the Chinese seas. It is flat-bottomed, has a square prow, prominent stem, full stern, the rudder suspended, and carries lug-sails.*
        “naff” – A waterbird (not identified, but prob. the red-breasted merganser, Mergus serratus).**
        “chuff” – The buttocks or backside; the anus.***

Don’t hesitate to ask us if you find other awkward or confusing terms in use here; after all RPS is a community full of helpful individuals.

*This is more commonly “junk” in English, “yonk” being an archaic form possibly of Dutch origin.
        **Note: if someone instructs you to “naff off”, they’re probably not an ornithologist. Unless you’re encroaching on their territory, that is.
        ***This appears to derive from early 20th c. Australian slang.

• Drake Sigar says:

Naff – rubbish, kinda crap, cobblers, a load of old bollocks.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Like, all words are fake, when you think about it, maaan.

• frymaster says:

yonks is a long time.
      naff is cheesy, or “square” to use some very old lingo. When the characters from The Office have a Christmas party, it’s probably a bit naff.
      if someone is “chuffed” then they’re pleased.

• SuicideKing says:

They’re smart Brits with sexy accents*. Nothing they say is fake. :p

*Technically we’re the ones with accents but whatevs.

11. Pazguato says:

I need an Original Edition Monkey 1 without all the crap stuff the Special edition added. I count on you, Good Old Games.

• wldmr says:

Special edition can be played in “classic mode”. Only drawback is you don’t get the voice acting, but from your comment I deduce that this won’t bother you much.

I think the only thing that’s actually different is the missing stump joke.

• Pazguato says:

Actually, there are more differences.You can’t play with other languages the old version, just english. The menu is different form the original, etc. But the most important: I just want the real thing, the original pixelated thing, the Steve Purcell glorious artwork and I don’t want that hideous new thing attached to it.

12. Stellar Duck says:

Alpha One. Mission critical. Craft under attack. Mission critical craft shields low. Mission critical craft destroyed. Mission failed.

Also, replayed TIE-Fighter last year. Still the best space combat game.

13. Eightball says:

You know how the first reaction to the Space Hulk game was “SPACE HULK SPACE HULK SPACE HULK etc”? That’s my reaction to this except “TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER”.

Now I need to get a cheapy joystick.

14. WiggumEsquilax says:

Never actually played X-Wing or Tie Fighter. Heard that they were somewhat good, though.

15. Laurentius says:

Tie Fighter is still the best !
    What is somehow unfortunate is the fact that The Collector’s Edition is better then Special Edition imo. I would happily give up textures for shaded polygons ( it still looks cool) but with more suitable flight model and dynamic music.

• kalirion says:

Yeah, the use of I-Muse in the original/Collector’s CD editions was awesome, far preferable to the plain CD Audio of the “Special” version.

• amateurviking says:

HOTNESS it comes with both the original and special editions. I always preferred iMuse too.

16. Ryuuga says:

Sam n Max! Whooooaaa! I was just fondly recalling it the other day. Fantastic game.

Tho last time I replayed it, the sound was skipping and the music was a bit broken, due to limitations of emulation. This saddened me a lot, since the music was one of the high points.

Any word on whether this GOG release is properly ported for windows 7 / etc? Or is the music still buggy, or even worse, ported to some different-sounding midi-thingamajig-something?

distantlurker says:

Secret mission objective completed, the Emperor will be pleased…

18. iniudan says:

Hopefully KoTOR got working cut-scene out of the box.

19. Volcanu says:

Oooh I do hope X-wing vs TIE Fighter with Balance of Power will be following shortly. That was the game that opened my eyes as to what gaming on a PC could be.

Looking forwards to trying TIE fighter aswell, as that was a little before my time.

20. specialsymbol says:

I want LOOM!

21. Gabbo says:

Outlaws or the whole deal is for not

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Outlaws was tremendously underrated :(

• udat says:

Where are you Marshal?

You’re outnumbered!

• Vandelay says:

I have only ever played the demo of Outlaws. Probably many times in the days that I couldn’t afford to actually buy any games.

Would love the chance to actualy play the full thing.

Also hope for Jedi Knight to appear and fixed for modern systems. Always have problems with my Steam copy.

• AlfieV says:

Aww man, I still have a boxed copy of that around here somewhere. The music in that was just sublime. I had several flashbacks to it when playing CoJ: Gunslinger a couple of months ago.

• drygear says:

And they need to include the soundtrack as an extra. Or I guess they don’t need to because it’s all right here: link to soundtracks.mixnmojo.com

• JackMultiple says:

Someone (or other) on GOG found hints that Outlaws is coming to GOG, but it’s all rumor until it happens. Hey, just like life itself!

22. amateurviking says:

OHMYGOD That intro (TIE Fighter). Takes me back. Me and my mate used to just watch that over and over and marvel at the works of humanity.

• deiseach says:

Tie Fighter and Monkey Island 2 – I would always watch the intro. ALWAYS. Innocent times.

23. Det. Bullock says:

When I saw their home page I think I got something in my eye.

I hope that now the young generation that barely saw the JK series and KOTOR might finally know of the long string of masterworks that was the X-wing series, especially the divine pleasue of crushing the rebel scum in Tie Fighter.

24. SuicideKing says:

I played X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, still have the original disk, got it free (I think) with my first joystick in ’98, Logitech’s Wingman.

If I understand this correctly, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter combined both games mentioned here? And you could choose between sides and missions on the fly (by creating separate pilots?)

• Flatley says:

Negative, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and XvT were completely separate, with the latter built from the ground-up for multiplayer. X-Wing and TIE Fighter had no such provisions, and feature a number of full-length campaigns as well as various proving ground missions and training scenarios. Balance of Power did add an excellent, multiplayer-capable campaign to XvT, but the older two games feature hundreds of other missions between the two of them.

25. JamesTheNumberless says:

This is the happiest I’ve been about Lucasarts games since Christmas 1994

26. PikaBot says:

Can’t wait to play them again and find out if X-Wing is actually as ridiculously, crushingly difficult as I remember.

27. Syt says:

Loved X-Wing and TIE-Fighter. One word for X-Wing veterans: Korolev Medical Corvette. Well, that’s three words, but who cares. I don’t know how many attempts a friend and I took till we finally beat it (one would pilot, and the other would be “astromech”, handling shields, targeting and stuff).

When I picked up the Stackpole’s X-Wing books (has it really been 20 years??), the first simulator mission was the Korolev scenario, and I could totally understand the cadet’s frustration with it. :P

• Eightball says:

Was that the one where you were in a Y-Wing and had to pick off Tie Bomber pairs before they could launch attack runs against the cap ship? I felt pretty badass after figuring out to use torpedoes on one and then lasers at the other. Only took me hours to do.

Ninja Dodo says:

Oh man, YES. Will be getting these for sure. Would be cool to see some more behind the scenes stuff and soundtracks in the extras, but just having these games properly available again is great. Some I never got a chance to play, others I still have on disc. I guess in the grand scheme of things Lucas selling to Disney is starting to look like a good thing overall.

JiminyJickers says:

Nice! Nearly imported Tie Fighter form Amazon for an exorbitant price recently. Good going gog.

30. emertonom says:

I bought Xwing and Tie Fighter immediately, but was disappointed to discover that I couldn’t actually use the keyboard in the game without completely turning off UAC globally for my system (win7 x64), and every time you change that setting it requires a reboot. It seems to be a conflict between win7 and dosbox; I guess I hadn’t played any of GOG’s dos-only games on my current setup.

You can count me as one of the guys hoping Disney will get around to making a modern Xwing at some point, though I really hope that doesn’t mean taking out joystick control, because that’s one of the best parts. Maybe Eve Valkyrie will scratch that itch.

• Det. Bullock says:

Very strange, I use DosBox a lot with my win7x64 PC and I never had problems with my keyboard and X-wing (I have the original CD).

• emertonom says:

I’m told it has something to do with additional devices identifying themselves as keyboards, or some such thing. I’m not clear on what peripheral might do such a thing, though, so just removing the conflicting device doesn’t seem to be an option. Either way, the only way I can get things to work is by turning off UAC, and I prefer not to do that.

31. Kaeoschassis says:

Was a Wing Commander kid myself, and had pretty much resigned myself to never trying X-Wing and Tie Fighter. Glad I’m finally going to get a shot.

On the subject of System Shock 2’s GOG release, at the time I was so hopeful that it’d mean we’d be getting SS1 and Terra Nova, and yet, here we are, still devoid of both. Ah well, it’s not as if I’ve finished half the stuff I’ve bought on GOG anyway…

32. TheTingler says:

Sam & Max re-released at last?! This is the most exciting comic book news I’ve heard all week!