Endless Legend More Endless With Modding Tools

Endless Legend isn’t quite as big a misnomer as the Neverending Story, but it still seemed likely that you’d eventually grow tired of playing campaigns in the inventive 4X strategy game. Today’s announcement may yet stave of the cartoon lawyers, as modding tools are coming which will let you create and tweak factions, skills, items and damn near everything else.

It’s been a while since I’ve been seriously into modding a game, but I find every announcement of modding tools unreasonably exciting. That’s never more the case when it’s for a 4X strategy game, which tend to be defined by stats and text and 2D images in ways that make sweeping changes possible for even small teams. If Endless Legend gets even a fraction of the modding community that the Civilization series enjoys, it’ll be great.

Here’s the full list of things the modding tools allow you to do.

• Add a new faction trait
  • Add a new technology
  • Add a new city improvement
  • Add a new item
  • Add a new skill
  • Change a resource
  • Add a new quest
  • Add or change text
  • Add or change 2D assets

At the same time, a new quest is being added to the game in time for Halloween. Called “A Tale from the Dark Season”, it’ll unlock “a special Halloween prize” for anyone who completes the quest. I’m only twelve turns into Endless Legend’s tutorial, so I’ve not the expertise to guess what that might be. So I’ll guess it’s some sort of pumpkin thing.

The boys and girls at Amplitude must be busy, because it was only yesterday that Dungeon of the Endless left Early Access and was fully released.

Curious about how Endless Legend plays? Check out Adam’s review.

1. XhomeB says:

EL is easily one of the best strategy games in recent memory. Very diverse factions, great, pretty innovative and well thought out mechanics, so-so combat system though. It really pushes the genre forward in many ways.
    Don’t buy Beyond Earth, buy THIS instead. You won’t be disappointed.

• shinkshank says:

While I certainly agree that EL is awesome and I like it more than I do BE, that’s not really fair. They’re two different games, with different deals.

• slerbal says:

It might not be fair but I for one only really have scope for getting one of these two and they end up going head to head, and despite what I initially thought Endless Legend looks like the far stronger contender.

• Granath says:

They may be two different games but they are in the same genre and EL is far, far superior to BE.

• Grygus says:

I think EL’s design is more interesting but the AI in BE is better. So it depends on what you want out of your 4X game; if you enjoy just dominating the AI while exploring game systems, seeing what things do, maximizing build orders, reading back stories, and things like that, you might very well have a better time with Endless Legend. If you’re looking for any kind of challenge after the first forty hours, Beyond Earth may give you more value. If you think I’m funny for thinking forty hours is the minimum investment in a 4X, then don’t listen to anything I say because we’re in different worlds.

• Severian says:

You speak wisdom, my friend. I love Endless Legend, but after around 30-40 hours of exploring the admittedly fascinating systems, you can easily dominate the AI even on the highest difficulty levels. Here’s hoping that the developers make some significant improvements in the coming months.

• Joshua Northey says:

Or you could have a job and get both games.

• Lacero says:

And have time to play neither :(

• XhomeB says:

It’s about “value for your money”. EL is worth the price of admission RIGHT NOW, Civ:BE… not worth the full price at all, if you ask me.

• chiablo says:

I was really debating between the two and ended up with Beyond Earth. I wish I had gotten Endless Legend instead. :(

• Hex says:

I (for one) dig the combat system. I like the fact that you can give general orders to your troops, but you can never be sure of exactly how it can play out. Gives me a sense of the “chaos of the battlefield,” if you will. I would love to experience more games with different takes on battles playing out differently than what is planned.

• Severian says:

I agree – and you can even push this further by choosing “Advanced Encounter Sequence” in the advanced options during set-up. This way you only get to position your troops and choose targets every other combat round. Not only does it make combat move faster, but it allows for a bit more of this fun chaos you speak of. However, I can easily imagine many players being frustrated with the greater loss of control.

2. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I wonder if anyone will soup up the AI. It’s not so much that I want a more aggressive AI–I don’t–but they’re even flightier in terms of diplomacy than in Civ, and I’ve noticed that they really don’t take advantage of certain elements of play, such as overseas trade.

• vahnn says:

The devs are aware of the lackluster AI and have a good-looking plan to address in the (hopefully) near future. I have to leave for work 5 minutes ago and can’t remember the link off the top of my head, but you can check out the issue on their official forums. They have the AI Issues broken up in to 5 subcategories and plans for tweaking each, as well as player polls in each subcategory to get player feedback and ideas for inspiration. It’s really looking promising, so don’t let the AI get you down just yet!

3. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Dang, so no modding of the combat? The two things that are the only let downs are really the combat and the ai. Everything else is impressivly good.

4. Sardonic says:

The game is pretty great but there are pretty serious balance issues, and a lot of UI annoyances. For example, no compare option on weapons or armor. It certainly nailed the quest design/writing though I think Beyond Earth edges it out in terms of production value and combat.

Both are must haves for a strategy enthusiast of course. Well, beyond earth eventually at least.

• Superpat says:

What do you mean by production value?
      Because Endless Legends is way prettier than BE and while EL’s interface does have some flaws, BE is not that much better. Plus BE probably had a bigger budget than EL.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I am going to make this my next purchase once I finish with Mordor.

I have very little experience with strategy games and the alleged poor AI makes me think it may be a good one to get down to some basics.

I also think it’s prettier than the other suitors.

• Sorbicol says:

It’s no a hard game to pick up but some of the details aren’t really made obvious, and they are critical to winning. For example, you use resources not so much for trade (although you can sell them in the marketplace) but, once you have sufficient quantities, you manually activate them In your empire screen for empire boosts to things like happiness (which is essential) and production, science and wealth (dust) generation depending on the resource. Still I picked it up ok in just a couple of play throughs

It is a great game although the end game is a little directionless and the victory conditions just feel like statistical goals. But, I think it does get the cross between stacked armies and 1upt tactical battles about right (more unit variety might be nice though) the factions are wonderfully distinct from each other and it is by far the prettiest 4x game you will ever play.

6. llama1337 says:

The “Endless Legend” link is broken, bringing me back to this page.