No, Not Boo: The Humble InDIE Bundle

What's scary about being lost and alone in a church with pig carcasses on the altar?

I don’t know what’s scary enough about the ‘Humble InDIE Bundle 13‘ to warrant that extravagant stylisation. Are we to imagine ᴏᴜʀ ʟɪᴍʙs sʜᴀᴛᴛᴇʀɪɴɢ ʜᴏʀʀɪʙʟʏ as we virtually skate in OlliOlli? Will Jazzpunk make us ʟᴀᴜɢʜ ᴏᴜʀsᴇʟᴠᴇs ᴛᴏ ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ? Is the ɪɴᴇᴠɪᴛᴀʙʟᴇ ᴄᴏʀᴘᴏʀᴀᴛᴇ ᴅʏsᴛᴏᴘɪᴀ of Shadowrun Returns meant to be depressing? Do they really think we’re afraid of Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs’ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴄᴜʀʟʏ ᴛᴀɪʟs? Are ɢᴜɴs terrifying enough to make you shriek at Tower of Guns? Should we quake at Risk of Rain’s ᴘᴏssɪʙɪʟɪᴛʏ ᴏғ ɪɴᴄʟᴇᴍᴇɴᴛ ᴡᴇᴀᴛʜᴇʀ? Do you fear Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet’s ᴛᴡɪsᴛʏ ᴛʜɪɴɢs? Is DIE a promise or a threat?

You know the Humble Bundle score by now, don’t you? They offer a selection of DRM-free games on Windows, Mac, and Linux for a price of your choosing, which you can split as you please between developers, organisers, and charities. The games are divided amongst price tiers, and you get Steam keys if you pay at least $1 (what kind of MONSTER wouldn’t?).

Paying anything gets you OlliOlli, Shadow Planet, and Tower of Guns. Beating the current average price gets you Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, Jazzpunk, four copies of Risk of Rain, and some mysterious other games yet to be revealed. Pay at least $12 and they’ll throw in Shadowrun Returns too. Many of these are fine video games. The Bundle will be on sale until November 11th.

You can get Teleglitch: Die More Edition without paying even a single penny too. Bargain.

[RPS whipped together our own Humble Bundle earlier this year, but we didn’t see a penny from it.]

1. Xzi says:

Already owned Risk of Rain and Shadow Planet, but this is still a really good bundle. Tower of Guns and Machine for Pigs were both on my wishlist, with OlliOlli being one of those “follow” games for me on Steam. Quality stuff that I did not expect to get for less than a couple bucks each so soon.

2. groovychainsaw says:

Risk of rain is amazing enough that I’m tempted to get copies to give (force upon) to all of my friends. But as usual these days, already own 90% of the bundle…. hmmm – most of those games are great though, if you don’t already own them!

• clockworkrat says:

I did exactly that. Someone gave me a copy of DF-9 in return. Score!

3. Brtt says:

Already have a few of those on GoG, but more DRM-free games can’t be refused !
    I’d have tried (and paid) Teleglitch, but since there’s still that (retarded) Steam exclusivity, no dice.

• gnodab says:

But if you buy from the dev you get a DRM-Free copy of Teleglitch, don’t you?
      I know I bought it a while back before it even was on steam, but I don’t know if it is still possible. Would be weird if its wasn’t though.

• Brtt says:

It doesn’t seem that way:
        link to forum.paradoxplaza.com

And it’s not just weird, it’s sad.
        That’s one of the many toxic effects of Steam: some devs are oblivious to the world outside of Steam (which gratefully still exists).

• gnodab says:

Well that is all kinds of stupid!
          I mean the devs, seem lovely. They upgraded the stand alone version to the steam version+ and all for no extra monies, but removing the drm free option is beyond me.
          We are on the internet. The game is 30 mb big. If need be we can all get a drm free version in less time thant it takes for steam to start up and log you in…

That is really sad. It is a great game! And the devs do deserve your money, but it is absolutely reasonable to opt out of a purchase if there is no drm free option.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

It may be that the devs didn’t want to bother with keeping a DRM free version of their game up-to-date when the Steam version does the same thing. I think that was what Puppygames said they’d do when they removed the non-Steam versions of several of their old games (although in their case they weren’t DRM-free, it was just a simple e-mail matching DRM they ran themselves).

4. MeestaNob says:

I look forward to buying another Amnesia game I have no intention of actually playing.

• Jalan says:

I’d say even the most easily spooked person could make it through A Machine for Pigs. Which is not to say it isn’t scary (opinions, I know), but it isn’t filled with moments that feel like you’re playing a game and forcing tension like The Dark Descent was, making it easier to finish by comparison.

• Cfoofoo says:

Yeah, honestly A Machine For Pigs isn’t that scary, at least not compared to the unrelenting awfulness of Dark Descent. Jump scares are one thing but Amnesia’s the only game I’ve played where nothing was happening and I still genuinely wanted to quit. Outlast came close a few times but there were points in Dark Descent where I had to take a break and collect my faculties before I could move on.

The Chinese Room (Creators of Dear Esther and inventors of the Walking Simulator genre) kind of cocked it up with their subtle horror and quiet atmosphere. It’s kind of interesting but it’s not even a tenth as scary as Dark Descent.

Oh, and the storyline becomes bonk-you-on-the-forehead obvious like a half hour in. They had potential for some gut-wrenching horror with the whole scenario but they didn’t pull the trigger.

5. BooleanBob says:

Nothing is scarier than the thought of skater culture coming back.

• Alamech says:

welcome to the scary time of the year then, skater culture does have a pretty strong comeback (at least where I live)

6. gnodab says:

Did anyone else get a mail from HIB with different prices than on the store page?
    I wanted to get the bundle for Shadowrun (the only game I don’t own yet or am interested in) but in the mail it was advertized as 10$ on the page it is at 12$.
    I know it’s not a big difference, but the price-creep and the new direction of HIB (comics=books, quantity over quality) is really off-putting to me. I bought all the old bundles, even if I owned all the games, just because I thought the idea behind HIB was great. I paid 15-20$ on average and sometimes much more, because I liked the devs and I didn’t want to feel cheap. But the new policy of constantly raising the Bundle prices doesn’t feel very humble to me. I’d be very interested to see some stats on the effects of the new prices. I can’t imagine they are doing the devs a favor with this new policy or were 1-5$ purchases really that rampant?

• Janichsan says:

Now that you mention it, that’s in fact the case. Doesn’t really bother me personally, since Shadowrun and Jazzpunk are the only games in this bundle I already own.

• Jalan says:

Don’t be the guy who looks down on comic books. Just because most aren’t 300+ page tomes doesn’t mean they aren’t books (and the other guy out there who is just dying to say they aren’t art: someone should give you such a pinch!)

Outside of that, I agree with the comment on quantity. That’s all they’ve been doing of late – pushing out bundles as if it was all on a conveyor belt. Then charging the premium/light blue text tier price(s) almost non-stop (most aren’t worth it – in before “charity is always worth it” – as the titles in those tiers either get re-bundled at lower price tiers in future bundles or go on better sales that justify buying them separately) or worse, putting up that tier when the games per price ratio is significantly off balance.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

There’s been a slight creep over the years (especially more fixed tiers). Just put more into the charity slider. Or all of it.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

I find the fixed tiers to be the worse thing, since they pretty much exist to bring up the average. And every bundle has them now!

7. Wret says:

I played OlliOlli for a bit and it’s not really-*slips and falls down 3 flights of stairs, 6 railings, 2 trash heaps, and a shrubbery*

This huddled mass of broken bones and flesh USED TO BE A PERSON

8. BooleanBob says:

Teleglitch being free deserves it’s own post I reckon. That game is BEANSAUCE.

9. Frosty Grin says:

One thing about Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet in this bundle is that, unlike on Steam, it’s self-published, so your money goes to the developer, not to Microsoft.

DantronLesotho says:

This bundle came at the perfect time! It has a bunch of games that I wanted, and the extra keys for Risk of Rain make it even more attractive. I’ll get my steamfriends to get this game yet!

11. ChairmanYang says:

Unfortunately, it looks like the latest Risk of Rain patch (released around the time of this bundle) completely broke the game, making it nearly impossible to gain XP after level 2.

Bad timing. Hope the devs fix it soon, because the game seems really intriguing otherwise.

12. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Tower of Guns is pretty cool, you guys. If all this recent talk of Paranautical Activity made you interested in a roguelike shooter, but you don’t want to support people who make death threats, or maybe just didn’t like Paranautical Activity specifically, Tower of Guns is a game you ought to try.

The other cool roguelike shooter is… Roguelike Shooter. I highly recommend both.

• epeternally says:

Ziggurat is pretty great as well, kind of the Hexen/Heretic version of a roguelike shooter. I end up wishing it had actual level design rather than being a random maze, it does such a wonderful job of capturing the flavor of Heretic visually and in terms of weapons that I really want a pure spiritual successor with awesome secret filled levels, but it’s still a pretty great game in its own right. A lot more polished than Paranautical or Heavy Bullets (yet to play Tower of Guns), though doesn’t have quite as strong of a ‘one more run’ pull.