Hot Town: Concrete Jungle Is A Deckbuilding Citybuilder

Smaller cities than SimCity though lol

How much of my love of citybuilding games is simply that I love looking at cities? Clean lines, bustling streets, each block a little ant farms to peer into and lose myself within. Concrete Jungle suggests you can twist the genre in whole new directions and I’ll still follow along. It replaces all the management and simulation normally associated with citybuilding and replaces it instead with deckbuilding. Ooh. It’s on Kickstarter now and more than a third of the way towards a modest target.

The way it works sounds very smart: you construct a deck of different building types, and then place those buildings in efficient positions to clear rows and give yourself more space to build. This should mean that you’re always trying to plan ahead and leave yourself room for future buildings, or trying to work around the mistake you unwittingly made five minutes back. It trades being a mayor for being a city planner, in other words.

Also look how colourful and cute it is:

There’s a step-by-step devlog on how those buildings are designed.

Concrete Jungle is based on an older indie game made by the same developer, called MegaCity, which has many of the same concepts and which is still available to play online for free.

This more advanced sequel-ish project is looking for £3000, and is currently £1330 of the way there. At the time of writing, an early-bird £5/$8 tier will get you a copy of the game upon release, while £8/$12 will get you the finished game plus the preview build shown in the video above as soon as the Kickstarter is over. The game’s also up on Steam Greenlight.

1. P.Funk says:

My god thats beautiful. I love that mid century modern style. Someone has to rip this and make a Sim City 4 tile set, tout suite.

• Kollega says:

It reminded me of SimCity 3000, actually. But yeah. Brilliant art style, so I’ll probably be picking this up sometime.

• Borodin says:

Je pense que vous voulez dire “tout de suite”?

• P.Funk says:

Quebecois french. Never actually learned to spell that idiom. Always spoken as spelled above. Likely properly spelled as you’ve place it.

If I had to spell it more carefully around how it was pronounced where I learned it it would be “Tout-e-suite” as the second t and the d would blend into a single sound with the lone e joining the two words being itself pronounced with the lips and mouth in an o shape and the jaw 1/4 to 1/3 open and the bottom row of teeth slightly forward. Quebecois french is rather vulgar compared to the mother tongue.

Ça suffit, eh?

• socrate says:

the mother tongue as lost actually more then the french canadian one,in france there as been alots more vulgarisation with new generation and different culture having huge impact on it then in Quebec were people vulgarise the language but still “mostly” know the right way of saying thing,they just tend to not do it.

2. MrLoque says:

The amount of Kickstarter projects is just insane… I wish there was a filter to auto-ignore any kickstarter-based post, dammit :(

3. eggy toast says:

I never understand Kickstarters that have a teeny tiny goal amounts

• eggy toast says:

“I would be able to achieve my dreams and the goal I’ve been working on for years, but without another 300bucks it just isn’t possible”

It’s just confusing to me, if you care so much but could lose it over so little

• MrLoque says:

Then we have stuff like Star Citizen, where they keep gathering billons.

timzania says:

I get the impression that many indie developers have incomes closer to minimum wage than the “typical software developer” side of the scale. So these relatively small sums can be extremely important.

• Dynamique says:

I guess the publisher-bashing rhetorique, which grew ever stronger over the last decade – self-publishing and self-funding in games, writing, music etc. – created spaces for many interesting projects, and even more rubbish. BUT more importantly, the bottom line often seems to be: Go fund and market your HOBBY yourself (but invest all your energy!), we might give you some pennies for it. I think there’s a lot of self-exploitation going on. Big success stories don’t occur too often, and they often build upon known names and established genres. I don’t think that self-publishing/funding made it easier to make a living upon creative work, rather the opposite…

• Leroy says:

Firstly, there is a PR bonus. People now know about it before release and can look forward to it. They can give updates to backers which will then get excited and spread that to friends and family.

Maybe they don’t have the ability to apply for loans and really do need that money get some freelance work on finalising assets (audio, art, whatever)

If it is a hobby project, they might this money to pay themselves for a few months of not working at their current job before release.

• c-Row says:

Licence fees probably.

4. Bodylotion says:

The game looks OK I guess. Are the cars suppose to be that fast in this game? Also no people walking on the streets…….. Nah this game will be too indie.

5. jonfitt says:

I was about to say “Hey! This is a ripoff of MegaCity”, then I got to the bit in the video and scrolled down to where you and he say it’s the same guy! Ha!
    I’ve played quite a lot of Megacity on my i device. It’s a fun puzzle game, but while it has the aesthetics of a city, it plays much more like a Tetris or other abstract puzzle game. You don’t feel like you’re planning a city so much as fitting blocks in the optimum way. There’s plenty of forward planning and skill, but it’s no city builder really.
    I’d be interested to know if this is just an enprettied version of MegaCity or fundamentally tweaks the core concept so it’s actually more like a city builder?

• Joshua Northey says:

Yes my wife and I loved MegaCity.

It only 5 or 10% scratches the City Building itch. Really it is just a puzzle game with a city building theme. Good for a few hours though, and to waste time on airplanes/at airports. I think I still have one of the top scores!

6. articulate says:

City planning and deck building in one game? Definitely up my street. Had a read through the kickstarter, seems pretty well thought out, though I’m wndering why he’s choosing to license a soundtrack rather than commission one. Hum…

7. Neurotic says:

It reminds me of the Facebook Sim City that EA closed down not long ago. That was a brilliant game, talk about getting lost in ant farms! I keep hoping somehow it will be resurrected, but alas.

8. trjp says:

I played Megacity loads on my phone – only real issue is that it gets REALLY hard to see what’s going on, on a small screen – so I’m in for a clearer version of it for sure!!