Have You Played… Star Wars: TIE Fighter?

If the answer to the headline question is ‘no’, for many years your only way to change it was either car boot sales or wanton piracy. That changed yesterday, when GoG finally secured what is surely the ur-GoG deal: republishing a spread of 90s LucasArts PC games. Among them was TIE Fighter, the space combat sim that – extremely ambitiously at the time – placed you inside the helmet of a Star Wars baddie.

TIE Fighter shows its age, of course. It seems sparse and slow, and there’s some dynamism lacking in its mission structures. It retains something special, though – primarily a clean simpliclity of UI that screams Star Wars, and with it galactic heroism/villainy, rather than utility or even videogaminess. I guess I’m trying to say that TIE Fighter is beautiful in its old age.

It’s also important to try and see this through the lens of the time: Star Wars hadn’t yet made its grand late-90s comeback, hadn’t yet converted from fondly-remembered childhood film into a near-religion for a generation of young men and women. TIE Fighter was simply, and boldly, exploring the gaps rather than expanding the margins, working with what already existed and seeing how it felt to be a baddie in one of those funny sweetie-shaped baddie ships we remembered.

I miss that. I miss living in an age where the entertainment that seemed to speak to us wasn’t so easy to lay hands on that it robbed all preciousness from it. I miss living in an age where the very idea of TIE Fighter was astounding, rather than just one more withered berry plucked from the exhausted Lucas tree.

1. HilariousCow says:

Not that this is necessarily a stopper, but can I play this version with mouse?

The Windows95 version removed it, and required you to use joystick, and like, this is a game which, to my mind, needs a hand hovering over the whole keyboard. You can’t *quite* fit everything you’d want on an Xbox controller.

Also, it didn’t have a proper deadzone setup so your aim would wander around.

I just really want mouse. Does it let you use mouse?

PLEASE.

2. Loyal_Viggo says:

Oh the memories… one of the best Star Wars experiences on PC.

Playing as Imperials was always the best, purging the rebel scum.

Xwing vs Tie Fighter also deserves mentioning here, another classic.

3. HilariousCow says:

T/F Alpha One is the Emperor’s Stool Pigeon!

4. reggiep says:

They really need to come out with a Star Wars version of Freelancer.

I can’t wait for Xwing vs TIE Fighter to come out. That game was fantastic. Because I like the rebel ships better, but TIE Fighter is just such a better game. Xwing vs TIE changed that, and had actual textures.

• idiotapocs says:

A thousand times, THIS

• BobbyDylan says:

I’d prefer a Star Wars version of Privateer myself, as I found Freelancer quite disappointing.

• Skeletor68 says:

Freelancer was so good! That and Freespace were an absolute joy.

Will Elite scratch the above itches for me? I’ve never played it and keep getting confused on what has a full single player component these days. I may also need a new machine to run it…

Harlander says:

Elite’s just going to be a big space sandbox, so I’m not sure you’ll get your Free{space/lancer} kick from it. Depends what you want really.

• Zenicetus says:

Elite:D can be played singleplayer or mutliplayer (both open and private groups), and you can switch between modes at will, within a few constraints. There is also a planned completely offline singleplayer mode that will work without an Internet connection, but that isn’t available yet.

It’s not like Freespace or any of the other classic scripted mission games. It’s a modern take on the original sandbox game where you go out in the Galaxy and do whatever you want — trading, mining, exploring, piracy, bounty hunting. There are missions you can take, factions you can join, and there will be injected events, but you’ll need to role-play your own story within the sandbox. There is no “storyline” as such.

• SuicideKing says:

Elite just may, if they get the combat…er…right. Where “right” means FreeSpace-y. They have fighters shooting beams, so not sure how it’ll feel.

• Cinek says:

They’ll never implement freespace-like combat into Elite. It’s not even their goal.

• Ansob says:

The 1998 editions of TIE Fighter and X-Wing use the XvT engine, complete with textures. You can buy X-Wing on GOG right now and play the 1998 version if you want Rebel ships and textures over Gouraud shading.

• Bart Stewart says:

Josh Parnell’s Limit Theory is being developed with Freelancer as a primary inspiration. There’ll certainly be some differences, but Josh has actually pushed back against some community suggestions that would make Limit Theory less Freelancer-ish.

Also, he’s just finished moving the gameplay code out of the core executable and into scripts written in his Limit Theory Scripting Language (LTSL). So someone who felt an urge to mod the game into something with a strong Star Wars flavor will have the ability to do so.

• Cinek says:

There’s a Star Wars mod for freelancer. Quite a good one, actually.

Kortney says:

To answer a couple of comments: If you buy X-Wing and TIE Fighter on GOG, you get both the original, flat-shaded DOS versions, and the redone Windows 95 versions on the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter engine with textured graphics. Sadly, the DOS CD version (which had, in my opinion, better cutscenes and menu graphics and dynamic music, as well as spoken text) is not included. Oh well.

The Windows versions also definitely require a joystick to play, but the game actually comes with a fairly rational mapping to an Xbox controller, although it bugs me that the right stick is unassignable. Still can’t roll and turn at the same time.

All in all, it’s a lovely bit of nostalgia, especially TIE Fighter, and definitely a steal at $20 for the pair.

• Jimmy says:

20 dollars! I appreciate the packaging that GOG does, and the links to the original creators in some cases, but at what point should a video game be continued abandonware? 10 years ago it was fine to grab old speccy and c64 games and run on a pentium III. What happens now?

Kortney says:

I spent the better part of a month trying to get TIE Fighter to run consistently on my relatively up-to-date gaming machine, including virtual machine shenanigans, so I consider the money well-spent in that I don’t have to waste any more time fighting with that nonsense myself. :P

• FCA says:

It’s a shame the DOS CD version is not included. This was the definite version, the later version just missed too much (and the cutscenes were done in the 3d style of the day, which sadly has not aged as well as the pixelated movies of the DOS versions). I recently moved back to my “home” continent, and I am glad to find my trustworthy Sidewinder 2 joystick and Tie Fighter Collectors CD still in working condition. Bought the GOG-versions for the Windows special edition which I hadn’t seen before, but after a quick foray into these version I decided I will probably be sticking to the DOS CD version for a long overdue replay.

Also: Gouraud shading!
      And if you have to decide to either get X-Wing or Tie Fighter, choose Tie Fighter, it really is so much better in every way.

• Det. Bullock says:

The cutscenes were never redone, I played both Tie Fighter CD and Tie Fighter 95 and I must say that apart from the in-game graphics and music and a few tweaks in the flight engine they are identical, i knew there were a few changes in the cutscenes from floppy disks to CDs but nothing dramatic (apart from the inclusion of speech of course), but I can attest that there were no big changes from Dos CD to Win95 CD.

• deiseach says:

For me, the music is a big change. Big enough to be a deal breaker. The way the iMuse system would seamlessly move from one leitmotif to the next was just marvellous. It immersed you in the universe in a way the Windows version never could. I bought the Gog editions as soon as they went on sale in the hope that they would have a working Dosbox configuration for my modern computer, and the 1994 version is still an interesting artifact but it lacks the SVGA cockpit and Guy Siner’s voiceover. There’s a part in one of the later missions where he mentions that the captured prisoners will be “…questioned” which just oozed the banality of evil. Looks like I’ll have to dig out the old CD to get my fix of the Imperial Navy.

6. Wowbagger says:

Can I be devil’s advocate and say that Star Wars is an overrated pile of dog doo?
    and that the games based on said films are terrible mostly and mediocre at best?

Why yes it appears I can.

• BobbyDylan says:

*looks around for pitchfork*

• Loyal_Viggo says:

I find your lack of faith… disturbing.

• Skeletor68 says:

No love for KOTOR, Dark Forces or Mysteries of the Sith?

• Orillion says:

KOTOR’s pretty heavily overrated as well. Like, except for the whole Revan thing the story was mostly clichéd at the time, and none of the dark side choices save for maybe one or two precious ones lost in the middle were in any way compelling. Like, you can’t be secretly evil, or working for some purpose at all (it’s all just psychotically murderous this, or mild rudeness that), and people like to say that that’s just Star Wars, but even Palpatine in the prequels had some subtlety. And, fuck, he was downright affable in the first two films, around other people.

Now, KOTOR 2, on the other hand. Masterpiece.

• Behrditz says:

Seriously, in KOTOR its like ok im a good guy, and now im on this sith planet with all these dark side people. They ask who my companion is, so im going to avoid conflict, lie and say shes my slave. Good move, right? NOPE! Turns out I seriously meant it and have suddenly done a complete side change that no one saw coming! Good thing I still have that save from earlier.

• Orillion says:

That too. Hoenstly I kind of hate Bioware RPGs (from Baldur’s Gate onwards) for one simple reason: You’re almost never allowed to be cunning. You’re expected to be stupidly noble, or psychotically evil, or sometimes something in between. But rarely cunning.

Part of why I think I loved Dragon Age 2 so much, despite the gameplay issues.

• Kaeoschassis says:

KOTOR 2 has its little uh… eccentricities, but it is absolutely a masterpiece. Mostly for the characters, to my mind. I fell for so goddamned many of them. Particularly Kreia, although I suspect I might’ve been in the minority there.

• cpt_freakout says:

So what makes X-Wing and TIE Fighter so bad again?

• Orillion says:

The fact that they use every key on the keyboard, some of them twice. You can cite the “simulation” angle, but X-Wing at least fails pretty hard at that, with a firing rate about a quarter what’s seen on X-wings in the movies.

In other words, graphics were too hard back then, and there was no decency policy regarding key use.

• cpt_freakout says:

I played these games ages ago, before they became old, but let me tell you, I didn’t need all the keys on the keyboard to do a decent job at finishing them. I remember using several keys, yes, but it was never overwhelming. As for the firing rate, that’s just a minor issue if you’re not so enthusiastic about exact reproduction. So no, those two things do not make either game bad.

Now I saw from the OP’s post below it’s just animosity towards Star Wars itself, which is fine. However bad you think Star Wars is, though, there are several games in the setting that are great. Sure, much of the enjoyment that the creators expected people to derive from them comes from the setting itself, but if you look beyond that, there’s a good action “sim” in XW and TF, some fun shooters, strategy games, and even a good RPG in KotOR 2.

• Jungle Rhino says:

When I used to play Xwing back in the day using a mighty ‘Flight-stick’ (that had I think 3 buttons) the way around the myriad of keyboard shortcut keys was that my best mate would play with me as my ‘droid’. So I would do the flying and the aiming while he would manage the energy and targetting – standard approach was leaving the guns on max recharge, shields on neutral then shunting energy around as required. He would also occasionally switch me to a proton torpedo without warning when I had something tougher like a tie bomber at short range which was always funny :)

This was a brilliant experience – possibly because I was 10 years old but we got through the whole game like that and thought we were pretty chuffing awesome. We also figured out you could get around the manual protection check by opening up one of the game files and changing a certain entry to ****** (i.e. wildcard) which meant that any input was correct! – we thought we were pretty damn clever at the time…

• gnodab says:

Fun.
        Fun and colors are so last gen!

distantlurker says:

Rather depends on when you joined the party really.

If your first taste of Star Wars was the Special Editions (or heavens forbid, the prequels *shudder*); Mastrers of Teras Kasi and super bombad racing, then yes; you have a point.

(Oh, and this is for you – link to youtube.com)

However if you watched the original releases in the theater, or on the hallowed laser disc format; and played TIE Fighter, Dark Forces II & Knights of the Old Republic, then you’re flying in the face of overwhelming popular and critical opinion. Which is fine, opinions differ, but you’re in a minority that’s failed to enjoy some of the greatest Sci-Fi zeitgeist moments of the last 40 years. /hugz.

distantlurker says:

Rather depends on when you joined the party really.

If your first taste of Star Wars was the Special Editions (or heavens forbid, the prequels *shudder*); Masters of Teras Kasi and super bombad racing, then yes; you have a point.

• Wowbagger says:

I do so enjoy poking the wasps nest sometimes, kudos for including the entitled to your opinion spiel.
        I guess being brought up on a diet of Hitchhiker’s Guide, Philip K DIck, Asimov and John Wyndham just sours me against this kind of ‘science fiction’ (heavy use of air quotes alert). Dungeon dwelling troglodytes such as I do not like our playgrounds being invaded by the normals.

• Volcanu says:

I’m not sure many people consider Star Wars to be science fiction do they? “Space Opera” is the term most often bandied about.

Just to throw some fuel on the fire, the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is pretty terrible, and painfully unfunny.

• Cleave says:

Whoa there!! Grab yourself a pan galactic gargle blaster and stop this nonsense.

• HothMonster says:

I always thought ‘science fantasy’ was fitting.

And if you don’t think a cloaking device powered by people’s natural aversion to someone-else’s-problems isn’t funny I don’t think there is hope for you anymore.

• frymaster says:

“space opera” / “science fantasy” are just sops to people who think “I like sci-fi; I don’t like star wars, therefore star wars cannot be sci-fi”. The genre is big enough to have stuff people dislike in it.

wowbagger: your views on the films / novels / genera setting of Star Wars are fair enough, but I’d be interested if you’d expand on your opinion of the games, especially jedi knight 2, and tie fighter.

• Cinek says:

Well said frymaster, well said.

• K_Sezegedin says:

I don’t know what’s not to like about Xwing and Tie Fighter, even if you have animosity to Star Wars.

They’re straight well executed military sims.

I guess if you hate the ‘planes in space’ concept of sci-fi combat, but then you likely dislike the whole spacesim genre which is largely inspired by Star Wars combat.

• vlonk says:

Hope you added the Heinlein to your diet by now! Forget the trash movies they made out of his stuff and get reading.

Also I agree somewhat, Star Wars is not Science Fiction, its based on space magic and it’s narrative is almost completely driven by space magic.

Tie Fighter and X-Wing might have an outrageous amount of hotkeys. But most of them give you options that are not crucial. This is not Falcon 4.0

• Eightball says:

“Normals” = “People who bathe regularly”

• jonahcutter says:

That’s a pretty good summation. I was wondering recently on whether younger generations have the same depth of devotion and emotional reaction to Star Wars that many of us who first experienced it back in the 70’s and 80’s harbor. It was a very intense phenomenon back then.

Allow me to throw in Jedi Knight Outcast and Academy as great games about Star Wars as well.

basilisk says:

Of course it is. Empire is a pretty decent film, though. Not without its flaws, but solid.
      In games, KotOR2 was an excellent (if unfinished) attempt to write a deeper story in a universe that is built on shallowness. And the Dark Forces games range from pretty good to great.
      Overrated? Hell yes, and in dire need of some healthy iconoclasm. But “mostly terrible” is a bit harsh.

• Pulstar says:

Screw it, I agree with you 101%

• Det. Bullock says:

Aw, come on! You may despise Star Wars but you canot deny that the PC titles made by LucasArts were all well crafted and sometimes even masterworks of the genres they belonged to, Tie Fighter is one of the best spacesims ever, it’s up there with Freespace 2 and Wing Commander IV, its combat and mission design doesn’t follow the Wing Commander template but that’s why it still holds up (although its influence can be felt a bit in Freespace 2, even if the title is very wing commander-y overall).

The only thing I can concede is that X-wing is still very rough around the edges and has a steep learning curve (the fact that when you died you could lose all your points made almost impossible reaching high ranks without backupping saves manually), but Tie Fighter?

7. hoverpope says:

Although be careful – if you have, say, tried to install from your old disc [constantly, while weeping] for years and been beaten by graphical glitches this release does not fix all of them.

I am still, tragically, resorting to spinning in my desk chair making pew pew pew noises and imagining Z-95s blowing up.

• BobsLawnService says:

It’s the reason I don’t buy games from them any more. I’ve been burned by too many games that have major compatibility issues and GoG pretty much sells the games and then refuses to offer support for them. Sometimes the community does the work that Gog should do but a lot of the time the games just don’t work.

• PostieDoc says:

I’m surprised by this, I own over 240 games through GOG and can honestly say I have never had a problem running any of them.
        I find older games to be much more reliable coming from them than Steam.

• Kaeoschassis says:

And again I feel like I have to point out that their support is actually excellent, and if they CAN’T help you get your game running then you get your money back.

• BobsLawnService says:

I’m 2 for 4.

Space Rangers 2 just couldn’t make it past the corrupted intro. I see that they have subsequently dropped it from their catalog.

Outcast had massive graphical flickering and was unplayable.

• udat says:

I recently reinstalled X-Wing from my old CD copy and while the installer wouldn’t run (16-bit) a bit of forum digging found a way to install it and one installed it ran ok with a couple of “tweaks”.

– I had to kill “explorer.exe” first, otherwise colours were messed up.

– I had to make my secondary monitor the primary, as it’s 4:3 aspect ratio fits this game much better

These games are rock hard and can be very unforgiving compared to modern releases.

• kalirion says:

Didn’t the CD have the DOS version to run through DOSBox?

8. satan says:

Loved that minimalist cockpit layout that TIE Fighters had (compared to an X-Wing for example) that gave so much more visibility… made flying a TF feel very different to an X-Wing, which I thought was quite an achievement for the time.

• Borodin says:

Even in X-Wing — the game I bought my PC for — there is A-Wing and B-Wing as well as the iconic X-Wing to fly. All have different cockpits and handling characteristics.

I always loved the B-Wing for its style: it’s basically a bomber, but it’s hard to tell which way is “up”. It’s tempting to make it a “T” shape, but in fact it has the cockpit off to one side like the Millennium Falcon. I think the gunner positions are at the ends of the arms of the “T”.

The A-Wing is just a fast buzzy fighter thing with little firepower.

• GameOverMan says:

Don’t forget the Y-Wing, or forget it since it was a bit rubbish compared to the rest.

• Zero_hu says:

Am I the only one, who prefers X-Wing over TIE Fighter?
      Yes, the game is technically better, it is ambitious that it lets us play the bad guys…
      But I couldn’t immerse myself in the role of an imperial pilot, I hated the fragile fighters AND the ridiculously overpowered Defender as well, and the hidden bonus objectives irritated my maximalism. And the story had mostly nothing to do with the movies if I recall correctly. In X-Wing I attacked the Death Star, evacuated Hoth, and so on. In TIE Fighter I just raided noname pirate bases and hunted some renegade imperial forces, sometimes I fought the Rebel Alliance…

I finished XW at least three times, but I could play trough TF only once.

9. Borodin says:

It’s worth mentioning that, as Kortney says, you get both the 1993 and 1998 versions of X-Wing. But what someone overlooked is that the box shot they use as an icon differs only in the last digit of the year. I installed and played the earlier version for several minutes before I realised the difference.

Oh, and gamepad support works fine, but there are so many commands that you need the keyboard as well. Mouse + keyboard play is possible, but there doesn’t seem to be a good DPI setting to allow you to both chase the fighters and hit an accurate long shot.

When the game first came out I found that keyboard + mouse + joystick was the best option. The joystick for steering the craft and the mouse for fine aiming on distant targets. Sadly, having moved house a while ago, my Saitek joystick has gone missing.

10. Laurentius says:

This GoG version unfortunately doesn’t include the best Tie Fighter version: CD Tie Fighter Collector’s Edition – with dynamic mission music nad SVGA vectors shaded graphics and best fligh tmodel of all SW games. Who knows maybe GoG will add it someday.

And Tie Fighter isn’t slow, seriously ? Yes there are moment of mission where you just 4x time, but that why it’s there, because missions have real time structure, so if a ship’s got to fly and dock with another ship, simply that takes time. On the other hand where you are put to test, it’s incredibly tense experience, you’ve got to dispatch enemies fighters lighting quick and then fly to another point (full power to engines ) of battle and disabled runing shuttle. Man, play it at least on medium and aim for secondary and bonus mission and tell me it is slow.

• Borodin says:

Erm, it is the “Tie Fighter Collector’s Edition”. What do you think is missing?

• kalirion says:

AFAIK GOG gives the original Tie-FIghter, and the remake in the XvT engine. But not the Collector’s CD Edition which had the IMuse music from the original with improved 640×480 graphics. XvT engine may be higher res and look better, but it is missing the dynamic music.

• Stellar Duck says:

This seems to be correct. Which is a shame.

I got the DOS Collectors CD-ROM and that’s, as far as I’m concerned, the definitive version of the game. The music in the XvT based one was shite compared to the iMUSE stuff.

• Dozer says:

Oh man, there’s time acceleration keys??

• GameOverMan says:

The original X-Wing game didn’t have time acceleration. I remember how I managed to “transplant” the code from Tie Fighter binding it to the pause key. Since I became very familiar with the game’s code I made some more changes, like speeding up the rate of fire in order to be closer to the movies, although it had some side effects because the game engine could only handle a limited number of “laser” shots, but it fas fun nonetheless. I must have the modified files somewhere.

• Laurentius says:

ALT+T – 2x/4x time.

• Wowbagger says:

That’ll be Parsec acceleration keys then?

11. Borodin says:

What I would love to know is whether the graphics mods work with this release. I really shouldn’t be swayed by beauty but, y’know, it would make the whole experience less cringe-worthy. Not that cringing isn’t a price I’m prepared to pay to play these games.

• K_Sezegedin says:

Graphics mods? There are no graphics mods for the old releases., – Xwing Alliance on the other hand has many updated models over at the Xwing Alliance Upgrade Project.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Maybe I’m just crazy, but I think the Tie95 version still looks pretty good. Surprisingly good.

santheocles says:

I think TIE Fighter remains one of my absolute favorite games of all time because of two things:

1) The whole combination of excellent gameplay, dynamic music and intricate missions.

2) The setting – I think the sheer, almost subversive brilliance of it is that you are not really playing “the baddies”, as Alec puts it.
    While you as a player know that the Empire is a tyrannical dictatorship that has no qualms about comitting genocide on a horrific scale, you character-protagonist doesn’t see it that way.
    And why would he? You are a loyal soldier serving the force of order in the galaxy – and that impression is not clouded by “Nyahahahar, let’s slaughter these civilians”-bullshit that happens so often when you play “the baddies”.

In TIE fighter, you follow your orders – and these are sometimes harsh, but not unreasonable. Stop smugglers. Assault a pirate base that terrorizes the sector, and build a security outpost there instead. Stop a civil war that could cost thousands of civilian lifes by going after military targets. Sure, the Empire has it’s own interests in these skirmishes (that is never denied) – but you are nontheless a force for peace and order – or at least you don’t really have a way of seeing things differently.

I think a modern TIE fighter would be difficult to get funded – because if you take the setting seriously, you are actually approaching thorny political issues that I am not convinced can be handled well by typical video game writing. I find it astounding that a Star Wars game of all things could do such a thing in 1994. Whether the message is intentional or not I have no idea.

Der Zeitgeist says:

In hindsight, this political angle is really is one of the most fascinating aspects of TIE-Fighter, and something I was just a bit too young to really understand in 1994.

I mean, in the intro, the Emperor is actually calling the Rebels “Insurgents”, a word that didn’t really mean much 20 years ago, but which is deeply embedded in the public conciousness after Iraq and Afghanistan.

This whole “War on Terror” thing would be awesome to explore in a present game with this setting, but as you said, it’s probably just too inconvenient.

• vlonk says:

Just imagine Spec Ops: The Line had a Padawan or young Jedi as the protagonist. Now that would be THE game about the dark side. I would go so far to say that it would add 10-15 points on metacritic to spec ops right now if it where a starwars title.

13. Freud says:

Tie fighter is an excellent games. It created a sense of space and the missions are generally excellent. They’re hard but not impossible and fighting capital ships never got old.

• K_Sezegedin says:

Last time I tried to play Tie Fighter Collector’s CD increasing Dosbox CPU cycles to the point where I got good framerates caused cap ships to fire their turrets less often or not at all. Kinda breaks the whole fighting cap ships part.

At least the missions with Escort Shuttles got a whole lot easier.

But these games just don’t emulate well, – they really need some remakes.

14. kdz says:

TIE Fighter is my age. I’ve not played it. I’m totally going to!

15. Eightball says:

Anyone recommend a decent joystick for it? Mostly interested in ergonomic comfort over “having a billion buttons”. I had a Saitek ST290 but 1. it eventually died when the batteries in it leaked and 2. it was pretty uncomfortably if I used it for more than a half hour.

16. Martel says:

I hope I can get over the age of this because I absolutely loved this game back in the day. I remember taking turns on the computer where my girlfriend would play x-wing and on my turn I’d play TIE fighter, watching the other person play when it wasn’t your turn.

17. Syt says:

For those lamenting the lack of speech and dynamic soundtrack during missions in the ’98 Enhanced Edition (the on in the XvT engine), there’s a mod for that:

link to savingcontent.com

• Laurentius says:

It’s clearly states that this mod is not fixing dynamic mission music.

18. Sidewinder says:

I held on to my Collector’s Edition CD (nearly all of my old CDs, actually- just the other day I found a PC Gamer demo disc that has the full version of The Secret of Monkey Island on it!), and while I’m usually not above indulging in private, deeply satisfying smugness over not tossing out things that brought me such joy, I never felt that way about TIE Fighter. I always thought it was one of those games that everyone should experience and was disheartened that after so much time, the only way to get it was paying a fortune on Ebay, hoping to get lucky in secondhand stores, or piracy. But now, I no longer have to! Now everyone can know the thrill of flying beside Vader (albeit briefly) and blowing rebels out of the sky (I do wonder how many more people are going to look at JJ Abram’s new X-wing and say “wait a minute, that’s a Z95” as a result of this decision, though). Go forth and play, my friends! And if you manage to persuade Disney/GOG to release XvT… To actually let us play that on modern networks that can actually make it smooth… To use the technology to its full potential… Then… then… Preeciousssss….

19. Niente says:

Surely these Have You Played segements are not solely for the purpose of providing quotes for RPS’s Steam curating thing…..?

• Kaeoschassis says:

Well, um, no. I mean obviously.
      You read it, didn’t you? Just like all these other people did.
      There you go, then.

20. Asurmen says:

I remember sitting there speculating what the covered energy dials were. One was blatantly going to be shield, but that 4th one bugged me for ages until it was revealed.

21. Rizlar says:

Kept the game, lost the joystick. Woops.