Cretaceous! Primal Carnage: Extinction Announced

Roar.

Good news, dinosaur fans! Soon you’ll be able to murder dinosaurs or murder people who want to murder dinosaurs, depending on quite how you feel about ancient reptiles reborn in the modern era, better than ever. Primal Carnage was already one of the finer dinosaur multiplayer FPSs around, and next month will bring Primal Carnage: Extinction – a sequel that’s really a remake.

Bad news, Primal Carnage owners! The long-promised “recode” that was supposed to be a free update has become a separate game. The devs do plan to offer y’all a discount on it, at least.

As well as being prettier, Extinction has new maps, Steam-tradeable cosmetic bits (yes, including hats), and should be less buggy and run better too. It’ll be missing an old mode or two at launch, but more will follow. Folks on the game’s forums have compiled an exhaustive list of changes. It reads like a patch changelog, because that’s what it was.

Creators Lukewarm Media planned to “rebuild the game from the ground up”, ditching the old code with its problems and limitations while updating or remaking maps and graphics. They referred to it as “Primal Carnage 2.0” or the “recode”. Until the announcement of Extinction on Monday, it was supposed to be a free update. Its makers Circle 5 Studios and Pub Games, who’ve since taken over from Lukewarm, have other plans.

Dev team member ‘Apoc’ explained in a forum post on Monday:

Because an entirely new company has taken the helm on development of Primal Carnage (and the entire game has been rebuilt from the ground up) its been decided that we’re going to be launching this as a new game in conjunction with [a PlayStation 4 port]. Also, because it’s a new company, it must be on a new Steam App ID as well.

I can understand that the rebuild has been a huge amount of work, and frankly I’m surprised it’s a task Lukewarm even started, but it’s mighty cheeky to have kept up the illusion that it’d be free. Presumably they were waiting for a go-ahead on announcing the PS4 version. Still, at least they won’t charge players full price for Extinction. “We hope to give all existing Primal Carnage owners an even bigger discount than [50%],” artist Richard Williams said in a Steam forum post.

Primal Carnage: Genesis, the single-player spin-off announced in 2013, is on indefinite hold, by the way. “We just don’t have the resources to make such an ambitious game,” Williams said.

Wisq says:

50% is a pretty big bite out of the price. Hopefully it’s enough that the existing owners won’t feel saur about it.

• Awesomeclaw says:

I think for a lot of people, the fact that it’s not still a free update rex any interest they had in it.

2. Anthile says:

It’s a real shame games about dinosaurs almost universally suck.

• Cinek says:

True. But this is the best one out there. Everything else totally stinks.

• LionsPhil says:

This one was janky as hell and seemed to be a throw-it-in melting pot of everything other games had that they thought was cool, but could be entertaining on its survival-against-waves-of-dinosaurs mode.

At least, I think it’s this one. At some point Primal Carnage: Stupid Subtitle morphed into Primal Carnage: Some Other Stupid Subtitle in my Steam library. Haven’t played it since.

Disregard that, I’m half-asleep.

• Ansob says:

You’re probably thinking of Orion: Prelude or whatever it’s called these days. Primal Carnage isn’t survival, it’s asymmetrical deathmatch where one team is the humans and the other is the dinos.

• LionsPhil says:

Oh, yes, I think I am indeed getting them mixed up.

Riiight, this is the one with the really iffy raptor pounce attack. Hadn’t realized futher development of it was even on the cards, so it’s hard to get mad about not getting a new version for free.

• SquidgyB says:

I wish there was a good, modern, single player fps survival dino game… I have a real hankering for a Jurassic Park/Turok/Dayz mashup with well animated dinos and some kind of hunter/prey ecosystem and AI, with huge maps and bitey things.

3. Cinek says:

I enjoyed my time with the original game and really liked some of the ideas that devs had (like for example adding swarm of small (chicken-sized) player-controlled dinosaurs).

Quickly reading through the change list though I got mixed feelings. Seems like they they made paid, premium skins work as a sub-classes, basically adding Pay 2 Win into the game. On the other hand looks like they tried to nail some of the problems game had, such as a balance issues and lack of customization (previously these were only skins – now humans will be able to choose weapons – sadly: They opted for TF2-style RNG chance of getting a weapon (instead of just letting players choose whatever weapons they want) ). They added few new dinosaurs… but all of them are locked into 5 classes that are equivalents to the old dinosaurs. So we won’t see any new gameplay styles (even though this game got so much potential for dozens of unique characters&dinosaurs). They remade maps, but how it will affect balance is yet to be seen (again: previously there were maps that one side won in good 75% of cases). They tried to nail down some of the imbalanced dinosaurs, but opted for some weird (and potentially totally unfun) pounce mechanics for Raptor while doing next to nothing about T-rexes or Carno.
    Oh, and it seems like they added new gameplay mode! Guess what it is? Free roam. loooool I couldn’t imagine any more useless game mode than that.

Overall I’m rather confused if I want to buy this new version or not. For each good thing in this patch I find another thing I’m quite sure I won’t like.

4. Turin Turambar says:

No feathers, tho.

5. XhomeB says:

It boggles my mind that:
    a) games featuring dinosaurs are so few and far between
    b) when they DO get made, they’re multiplayer-only

Come on… I want a new Dino Crisis, a proper Tresspasser remake or a sequel (that game was so far ahead of its time when it comes physics and interaction with the game world it’s not even funny).

• Wowbagger says:

^this, plus a decent Turok game please.

• SuicideKing says:

Probably realistic (TM) dinosaur AI behaviour modeling is too difficult. Although Far Cry 5: Jurassic Park may change that.

Game looks pretty low poly though, but i guess it’s a small studio…and they’re releasing it on the PC first and then on the PS4, which is a refreshing change indeed.

• SquidgyB says:

I should read further down before posting blindly.

See above.

6. OctoStepdad says:

I own the original version but with a more than 50% discount, I can get behind that.

7. Bodylotion says:

Primal Carnage, Orion Prelude, Dino Horde…… all are pretty fun for a while but there’s no one who got any of these games in their favourites. I wonder how long it will take for a developer to create a Survival Dinosaur game lik Tresspasser but ofcourse way better.

• Chuckleluck says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Orion Prelude and Orion: Dino Horde the same game? I thought they inexplicably changed it a while back.

• untoreh says:

You forgot dino dday which is day of defeat with dinosaurs (literally)

• Fran says:

Not to much, I know 2 games as you say

Saurian and Dinosaur Battlegrounds ;)

Those games are a Survival Dinosaur game and better than Tresspasser

8. hatcheted says:

PLEASE, IF YOU HAVE ANY KIND OF MORAL / ETHICAL COMPASS DO NOT SUPPORT THIS GAME OR CIRCLE 5.

I was friends with many of the devs, and the condition they worked through were horrible. Circle 5 is nothing but a rebranding of Lukewarm Media, their story about passing the mantle is a lie. The only reason Circle 5 has all new developers is because the original team got fed up and left or was thrown out by current management and has been replaced by unpaid interns. The original dev team went through hell trying to work on PC and PC:G, a lot of them left their lives to go work in Nevada for Lukewarm. When they got there all they were met with was 80+ hour work weeks, incredibly low pay, no weekends, no overtime pay, no leadership management or direction, and left in a hostile work environment. A bunch of them got so grinded down by the whole experience they decided they didnt want to work on games anymore, they had their hopes and dreams crushed.

Now Lukewarm is reselling Primal Carnage with this recode patch, and are spitting in the face of the community on the backs of the developers who are going to see none of the sales. Circle 5 is doing this so the money goes into managements pockets, and so the studio can stay open and abuse more people. Please don’t let them do this again.

If your interested in doing some real journalism, you should track down the original team members and ask them for their story, because LWM and now Circle 5 is a cancer in the industry and needs to be destroyed.

Sorry if my English is bad, its not my first language.

9. Fran says:

1 thing

Fuck you Circle 5 and Pub Games y fucking hate you with the soul!

Why don’t you make it free and DONE!?!?!?