The Long Dark Update Makes Game Longer, Darker

Life is just swings and roundabouts, innit? The Long Dark‘s early access just got an enormous update so it’s playable area is twice the size it was before, but the downside is that starvation now causes you to become fatigued more quickly making it harder to cross that territory. Your carrying capacity now decreases according to your fatigue, which is bad, but the game now contains bunny rabbits, which is good. A rifle is now guaranteed to spawn at Mystery Lake, but wolves predate upon you more aggressively when you’re weak.

Swings and roundabouts, see. Deadly and perilous swings and roundabouts.

The full list of changes is, as is often the case, to large to list in full. The main thrust seems to be about fixing exploits players had found and providing greater clarity to how systems function, but by and large it sounds like most of the changes will make the game harder. First aid items are more rare; severe cold conditions are even more deadly; items decay less quickly, but there are fewer items overall to compensate, and so on.

As a person from Scotland with soup for blood, I’ve obviously never experienced what others describe as “cold”, but it sounds rubbish. And I like both swings and roundabouts! I don’t understand this world at all.

If you missed it during Survival Week, Duncan Geere wrote this melancholy tale of a cartographer lost among Long Dark’s snowdrifts.

1. Cinek says:

Seems like they addressed plenty of complains from both: players and reviewers alike. I even see they addressed some complains you guys at RPS had :)

• Bassen_Hjertelos says:

Have they addressed the hunger issue? I just can’t be bothered with a game that forces me to eat every ten seconds. Humans can go for several days without eating and mostly it just causes a severe case of crankiness. It just ruins the immersion for me.

• gombicek says:

well they balanced it in a hotfix. Also the wolves issue has been adressed so its much better now. But I played only for a while, but my first impressions from the hotfix is that the food issue is much better.

2. theblazeuk says:

Does it now come with Frozen Yoghurt?

3. TheTingler says:

I tried to read this news post, but I was eaten by a wolf.

• jonahcutter says:

Yeah, there’s a whole lotta them now. Guess that solar storm radiation makes for some very amorous, fertile wolves.

teije says:

This looks awesome. Now I don’t have to wait until January to experience a typical winter day here in Canada. I can feel the hunger gnawing at my bones as I attempt to scrape off the car anytime.

Neurotic says:

I always knew Graham was some kind of northerner, but I never knew it was that far north. :D

• Bassen_Hjertelos says:

As a Norwegian I scoff at your comment. To us, Scotland is considered equatorial. I also scoff at this game’s depiction of “cold” and “hunger”. It’s pure myth. Suck it up, I say!