CCP Start Major EVE PvP Changes With Phoebe

See, the wonderful thing about video games is war can change, but only when it optimises fun levels and has been through rigorous testing procedures. Such is the philosophy of Phoebe, the next update for long running internet spaceship generator EVE Online. As the first stage of CCP’s multi-year plan to revitalise the massive corporation combat that is EVE’s driving force and primary attraction, Phoebe shakes up how movement works in PvP sectors. There’s also the usual injection of quality of life changes, specifically targeting skill training and industry this time around.

The movement changes are the biggest deal, and perhaps one of the largest changes to EVE’s null-sec (the area of space where corporation wars take place) in years. Detailed in this blog post there is now a pair of cooldown periods whenever larger ships use their jump drives to travel long distances. One simply prevents a player from activating their jump drive again, while the other, longer timer controls the length of that first one. The upshot of this is that large fleets will find it much more difficult to defend bigger amounts of territory and should hopefully reduce the size of alliances.

In preparation for this change, EVE’s space-movers and star-shapers have been getting their affairs in order. EVENews24 has the rundown but the major theme is larger corporations selling off territory and restructuring while smaller ones buy it up. None of this actually comes into play until November 4th, so it’s likely things will continue to move and change until then. It also seems inevitable that somebody, somewhere is going to use this as an excuse to kick off in the name of old rivalries, new ambition or simply the pursuit of “content” (as the EVE community calls PvP) .

The other large change is what’s happening to skill queues. Skills in EVE are the levelling system and everything is done via time – logged in or not, your character is always training. Previously there was a 24 hour queue in which skills could be placed to start training. If you put a particularly long skill right at the end of, it could still last for around a month, but that was the limit. That’s now been removed, with a cap of fifty items or ten years in place as a testing number, planned to be increased in future. This removes the need to log in to alts or worry about it while on holiday, with a side benefit for CCP of likely keeping inactive players subscribed a little longer.

The full notes on what’s changing are available over on the launch page and in this summary video:

1. Batolemaeus says:

+4 Accounts.

I’m glad they realized the jump changes as originally planned would completely neuter deep nullsec and a good chunk of Eve’s industry. Hopefully they’ll work on making local production in nullsec a thing that can actually happen using locally sourced materials instead of completely relying on import/export by necessity.

Anyway, I am prepared. Bring it on.

2. Lacero says:

Some of us were playing just fine in deep nullsec before freighters even existed. Let alone jump freighters.

(edit: supposed to be a reply to Batolemaeus :( )

• Batolemaeus says:

Cargorevelations weren’t exactly the most fun either. And neither were freighter runs for that matter.

• Scurra says:

Fun is a very personal thing though. Like “comedy”, it’s clearly different for different people, and whilst it is easy to find a simple definition for it, it’s not so easy to explore it in such a way that doesn’t involve saying “well, this isn’t fun for me so it must not be fun for you.”

• Batolemaeus says:

We’re talking of the profession with the highest attrition rate in the game bar none here. Yes, you can measure fun, or to be more precise, the opposite of it. Follow the people who stop logging in.

Nullsec’s industry critically relies on imports because of how resources are distributed. This needs to change.

• Lacero says:

I dunno. Pos refueler is my least favourite job. I’d do a dozen cargo runs instead, at least you get the fun of jumping into new and exciting places.

• Twirrim says:

Alliances and Corporations in nullsec space used to pay good money for people who did escort duty for freighter runs. It was a profitable side line during my early days in 0.0 space, even once freighters appeared.

• Phier says:

Oh those were REALLY fun. I was a relative newbie and was in ASCN in the horrible EDF corp. Only I didn’t know that ASCN or EDF were horrible quite yet. Well they would do these pre-planned HUGE freighter runs and we would have to escort. This was always a cluster as it was ASCN and some idiots wouldn’t even have the gate book marks. But anyways, I did one of these which was horrible and boring, but I was not online for the next one where RED did a log on trap and killed a crapload of freighters.

Technically log on traps were illegal but no one enforced it, and by that point I realized what a horrible corp EDF was so that was fun to hear about.

I later joined FIX and then BoB and had a good time in both. The direction eve went though with HUGE laggy battles just sapped the fun out of it so I quit cold turkey before BoB died.

• rabbit says:

hahahahahahahaha, god, I’d forgotten ASCN.

Agree with you – have quit several times after getting tired of the direction EVE took. Always gone back but always left disappointed — it’s not the same game it was in 05, 06.
          Still, I’m happy such a game exists and still keep a beady eye on the MMO horizon, waiting for the day that another interesting open PVP sandbox MMO pops up.

3. Ditocoaf says:

In the article, I don’t think you actually say what’s happening to Skill Queues. You say “Previously there was…” but then never seem to get into what’s different now.

Maybe you do, and I’m just not parsing that paragraph correctly? I haven’t played EVE, so I don’t know.

• mmalove says:

In EVE you “level up” a lot differently than in other RPG games. You essentially gain skill points at a fixed rate that’s determined by your attributes and implants, regardless of your activity in game or whether you’re even logged in. So you simply pick the next skill you want to learn or improve, and the game calculates for you how long that skill will take. Might be a couple minutes, could be a couple weeks, depending on the skill. And that’s it. Mining, killing pirates, going PVPing, or sitting in a station reading your email all earn SP at the same rate: it truly liberates the player from min-maxing activities based on character development.

Now, in the beginning, there was no skill queue: when your skill finished you stopped gaining skill points until you logged in and selected a new skill. Then a couple years back, CCP updated and gave players the ability to queue up another skill if their current one (or batch) would end within 24 hours: so you didn’t have this awkward conversation with your significant other as to why you had to wake up at 3:00 AM to change a skill in a video game.

So with this change, they’re making further QOL improvements, and letting players essentially continuing queueing skills indefinitely. CCP resisted this change at first, reasoning that they wanted players to still log into the game and play it, but it’s pretty nice if you have alt accounts or will be away from internet for a couple days/weeks. I guess CCP finally figured out if someone’s willing to pay money to do nothing more than advance the skills on their character, they should probably take that money.

• Ben Barrett says:

Yeah, I don’t know what happened there. Some sort of editing artifact, I think. I’ve now changed the paragraph and it should (hopefully) make more sense. Apologies!

4. mpk says:

I got an email offering me 10 free days for my lapsed account and I took and I logged in AND I FEEL SO DIRTY AND WRONG.

I’ve fallen off the wagon again.

• Commander Gun says:

Same ;)

• Ashrand says:

i was clean for years man YEARS

phuzz says:

I actually swore out loud “fuck off!” when I read that email.
      It’s like your old smack dealer coming round and waving free samples under your nose.

• JarinArenos says:

This was my response. I’m not going back. I… I can’t go back…

• Quinnbeast says:

I’ve not received said e-mail. I think I’ve probably dropped the relevant e-mail account since then… maybe it’s for the best.

– Funnel

/edit Ah, the offer is attached to my account anyway it seems. Hmmm…. *rubs chin*

• FireStorm1010 says:

He he . I know the feeling. Maybe we should make a eveholics forum lol.
      “Hello guys, im Earthan(in Eve) , and im an Eveholic:). ”
      I does seem tempting, but i dont think im going back.

• PoLLeNSKi says:

I fell off the wagon with the last rooks and kings video :(

5. Rindan says:

Everytime I read about Eve I desperately want to like this game… then I play and recall that Eve is something nice to read about, but a whole hell of a lot less fun to play. I have three big complaints against Eve.

First, I really wish that Eve combat felt closer to Elite (i.e. twitchy, at least with smaller ships), or tactical and more like piloting a space battleship where I worry about which side is facing which, where my armor is wearing down, etc. Instead, to me it feels like traditional MMORPG, and my sever allergy to that style of combat kills my enthusiasm almost instantly. Space is also empty, even when it isn’t. You can merrily shoot through asteroids and other ships. It takes whatever weight was left to combat and kills it.

Second, nul sec space is just too bloody violent. A day in nul sec and you quickly realize that your dreams of being an independent hauler or small hauler are pretty much DOA. Everyone is nul space is out to get you, and the places that have “governments” are by far the most violent. It would have been more interesting if territory owning organizations were encouraged to make the area safe to encourage trade, rather than have no reason in the world not to slaughter every poor bastard that crosses an imaginary line.

I really hope that Elite or Starcitizen ends up being Eve light one day.

• WiggumEsquilax says:

Agree with everything you just said.

I’ll add that I wish smaller ships were more practical in higher level play, by disincentivising fleets consisting entirely of battleships, dreadnoughts, titans, and healbot carriers.

The nonexistence of stray shots, the capacity to shoot through whatever you want to get to the target, the ability of stasis webifiers to negate maneuverability, and the inability to target specific components of a ship, all conspire to turn fleet battles into giant ship balls.

• vahnn says:

1, 3, 2?

• Fishbreath says:

I like the concept of EVE, but I’ve never been a huge fan of the implementation. Pirates of the Burning Sea has always felt a lot better to me (EVE for human beings). It brings the scale down some, and as a solo player, you can actually accomplish things in most every facet of the game. The ship combat is active, tactical, and exciting, and the economy is deep enough to be interesting, if a little underused at this stage in the game’s life.

6. heyhellowhatsnew says:

Kojima, Old Snake and Metal Gear Solid 4 already told you that war has changed. Ron Perlman is wrong. Kojima is always right. Hail Metal Gear.

7. racccoon says:

CCP’s a laugh a minute, just make Eve 2 you silly steamies. ..

8. Ignis says:

Jump fatigue? No problem. You just need to jump 1 hour earlier before the timer comes up, wait and make another jump to battle. On the other hand, batphoning will finally end.

• buzzmong says:

Ending the super ganks is probably the main point of the jump change. It was really getting silly.