What Are You Playing This Weekend?

Play Free Or Die Hard

I’ve gone retro with my gaming for this weekend, but what era am I revisiting? The low-bit arcade stylings of the late 80s? The JRPG heyday of the PlayStation years? Ten years ago, when Half-Life 2, World of Warcraft and Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines all came out within a week of one another? No! I’ve been travelling the mysterious, mystical land of, uh, 2013. A frightening time.

But what are you playing?

I picked up Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance last week and it successfully parried all my attempts to step away from it before it was finished. It is a glorious game with some very odd missteps, to echo the message of Nathan’s WIT earlier this year. The port seems to have had any initial problems annihilated, leaving an incredibly slick, ridiculously fun brawler. Probably the best first boss of all time, thanks mainly to the music, and the sexiest male lead in video games. Phwoar, robo-heels. I’ll be hitting up the DLC, which lets you play as first the antagonist and then the best character, a robo-dog, from the main game.

I also grabbed Saints Row IV cheap with all its DLC. I was expecting to love it and was sorely disappointed. I find it frustratingly dull; a collection of minigames and systems lacking the polish to take them from “activity” to “fun.” A cross between Grand Theft Auto and Prototype which ends up significantly short of the sum of its parts. It’s clever, of course, with some of the wittiest writing I’ve seen in the past decade. It’s crammed with jokes in everything from taunts to mission names. What’s behind all that just isn’t interesting enough for me, yet, but I’m willing to give it a few more hours to impress.

In terms of watching, this week is the Blizzcon finals kicking off their first stage. StarCraft II, Hearthstone and World of Warcraft all have tournaments running across the weekend, which you can grab details on here. I’ll likely take my yearly dose of StarCraft, lamenting both its diminished popularity and the menagerie of reasons for that while still loving it. Hearthstone will get a glace too. Its pro scene has given me a new understanding for the game’s complexities recently.

I’m poor at keeping up with Dota 2, but MSI are running the finals of their multi-stage tournament this weekend too. It caught my eye because there are teams from Africa, Australia and the Middle East taking part, and it’s unusual to have qualified teams from outside the usual SEA/Europe/America e-sports triumvirate.

As always, please e-mail me if there are tournaments running any weekend that you think are worth highlighting.

With which I pass it on to you, with an inquisitive glance towards your plans for digital entertainment.

Top comments

Risingson says:

(I posted something minutes ago and it went down the sink).

Nothing. I had a crisis some weeks ago where I was playing Fallout New Vegas and I thought, "wait, I am playing in complete self interest. My character is an hypocrite and absolutely cynical. And he is killing hundreds and hundreds of unnamed people and even interfering in the ecosystem just for... for money? for political ideas?". Then I thought that maybe videogames educated us to be like this. And then I can barely enjoy any videogame without feeling that I am playing a person I hate. And it happened to me in every sandbox, in every rpg, in every adventure game that I played lately.

So giving videogames some time before I come back to them. I still enjoy reading about them, anyway. Yes, I wish this mood went away.
  2. melnificent says:

I've just had major surgery, so I'm playing surgeon simulator while recovering in hospital. http://imgur.com/6QTMce5.jpg
  1. Buuurr says:

MWO until COD unlocks for me on Sunday night.

• Shadowcat says:

What’s MWO like? It’s almost shameful, but I’ve not played a MW game since MW2. I own MW3 (which I understand is awesome), but like so many games in my eternal backlog, I just never got around to it :/ (but ideally will do, one day). MW4 sounded less good, so I never bothered. And I really don’t know much about MWO at all. I tend to avoid online games, so I’m dubious by default, but wondering if I should try it out, given that it seems to be free.

Then there’s Heavy Gear 2, which I actually made a start on a couple of times, but never put any real effort into.

I guess that gives me three options in the genre to choose between. Recommendations welcomed.

• mpk says:

When I played it earlier on in the year, MWO was basically World of Tanks with mechs. Actually, it was literally World of Tanks with mechs. Didn’t offer anything different at all.

Also: I played MW3 multiplayer back in the day, and this is nothing like it.

• LionsPhil says:

Terrible. PGI are the most incompetent developers I’ve encountered.

Which is a real shame, because their art team is pretty amazing. It did have good “I am piloting a big robot” feel. When it wasn’t bugging out or being ruined by F2P mechanics.

Play MW3 instead, it’s way better.

• Kaeoschassis says:

When it comes to “I’m piloting a big robot” feel, Mechwarrior 3 basically takes the crown as far as I’m concerned. I remember being more disappointed in MW4 for that than for any other reason.
          Well, that and the fact it was actually LESS pretty than MW3. How does that even happen?

• Buuurr says:

Uh… its for sure not World of Tanks with mechs… that I know. Been playing since start and I know it for sure is nothing like what they are describing. World of Tanks is a broken game with terrible grind phases and a player base with anger issues rivaled only by LOL.

MWO is pretty good. It is not the glory days of mechs but it is getting around to it. They have introduced a lot of new mechs and the clan invasion is happening now. It looks beautiful and is fun to play. You get the big mech feeling for sure and just like you would figure an Atlas showing up generally changes the tide of battle for whomever side it is on.

I love the difference one player can make. You really feel that if you don’t do something when things are going South that the battle is lost. You can make a difference to the outcome in this game if you play smart. Skill is actually a factor. I guess that’s what I like about it most.

The player base is great as well. Generally friendly.

• souroldlemon says:

So what is the best available single-player mech game?
        Starsiege? I’ve not tried any but would like to play one, preferably not with ancient graphics but gameplay matters.

• bad guy says:

Go play Mechwarrior3 naow!

I had some fun with Mechwarrior: Living Legends last night. We had more than 20 people playing. :)

2. Ham Solo says:

Grim Dawn, Kerbal Space Program and some War Thunder/World of Tanks.

piphil says:

Tie Fighter.

• Giuseppe says:

I logged in on GOG wanting to buy either X-Wing or TIE Fighter, but I somehow ended up getting Sacrifice and that’s what I’ve been playing most of the week-end.

It’s been a pretty conflicting experience. On the one hand it has a cool atmosphere, a certainly original art direction — non-Tolkien inspired fantasy, yay! — and really good voice acting (Tim freakin’ Curry). On the other hand the gameplay is kinda iffy, combat can easily turn into a disorienting mess and the fixed camera doesn’t exactly help. I’m not really keen on the interface either.

All in all, I’d say the good bits outweigh to bad ones — at least in my book — but it’s not at all surprising that it was a commercial failure and that it’s mostly fondly remember for its art and atmosphere, but is rarely actually played. What IS surprising is that the press of the time were gushing over it, despite it’s clear flaws. Perhaps another case of embracing form over substance?

4. Dwarph says:

olli olli! wow its super good.
    also gonna keep playing guns of icarus and awesomenauts as my addiction for them continues to grow

5. darkhog says:

Playing Blockscape. Really great building game. RPS should cover it.

Wisq says:

Kerbal Space Program. Finally bit the bullet and added TAC Life Support and Kerbal Construction Time (in addition to my 40+ other mods, including Deadly Reentry, RemoteTech, etc.), and I’m doing ironman with no reverts — I can simulate a mission as much as I want ahead of time, but when I launch for real, it’s final.

Has led to some pretty crazy situations, including a mission where I somehow managed to underfuel the SRBs (they lasted all of 5 seconds) and had to frantically blow every decoupler (even the emergency “never blow this in a standard mission profile” ones) and parachute safely down through a hail of debris.

I haven’t dared send anyone past Kerbin orbit yet — only visited the Mun with unmanned probes so far — but it already feels more epic than any of my previous games. Can’t wait to capture an asteroid and make it into an orbital base.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Oh, this definitely looks like a good moment for me to come back to it, i was sort of waiting for some major addition.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeow. TAC LS must really turn the screw in career, because any manned craft that isn’t earning money has to come home or sink precious funds into costly resupplies.

Wisq says:

By default, yes, since (as I understand it) the primary source of money for most people is to sit a manned craft in orbit somewhere and just do “science data from space around [x]” (and/or “plant flag on [x]”) missions to get money. But I’ve also got several contract-enhancing mods installed, like Fine Print and DMagic Orbital Science, that ensure I have lots more ways to make money and/or get science.

My primary moneymaker right now is actually just launching satellites. They give me an orbital specification + a margin of error + sometimes equipment they want on the satellite (e.g. a thermometer, say) and I go put a satellite of my own design into that location. Minimum equipment is power + an antenna, but since I’m using RemoteTech, I load the thing up with dishes and turn it into part of my communications network. In essence, I’m getting paid for work I would be doing anyway.

My primary science-maker has changed repeatedly over the course of the game so far — at first, the typical crew and EVA reports (ScienceAlert tells me whenever I encounter a situtation I haven’t reported on yet); later, the stock science equipment like Science Jr and Mystery Goo (especially useful each time my crew pod touches down in a new Kerbin biome); later still, a lot of the DMagic science equipment like the orbital telescope, solar particle collector, etc. I’m about to do a DMagic contract to survey the magnetic field of the Mun — they want me to put a satellite in orbit of the Mun for ~180 days, at a moderately high inclination and eccentricity, carrying a magnometer and RPWS antenna, and getting readings from both at high and low orbit. And finally, SCANSat offers another minor source of research — once I’ve completely or mostly scanned a planet/moon, I can send back a report on the data for another science boost.

(Other possibilities include aerial surveying of specific waypoints on Kerbin — slow but lucrative for science — as well as later things like redirecting asteroids, setting up orbital/planetary bases, surveying areas with rovers, etc.)

Kerbal Alarm Clock also makes it easy to manage multiple missions at the same time — instead of massive time warping until the currently focused vessel is at the maneuver point, I just set maneuvers up days ahead of time and set an alarm to come back to them. An ordered list of upcoming events sits onscreen, stopping warp and popping up a message when the time comes.

I also set up my own funding mod, just a basic sort of thing that gives me cash based on my reputation (and drops my reputation by 10% due to “waning public interest”) every 42 days. It’s not a huge amount, but it does make reputation mean something again, since any spare cash I have goes into Kerbal Construction Time upgrades. It also ensures that reputation doesn’t just go up unbounded; I have to fight to maintain my reputation and monthly funding, especially since KCT puts limits on how many missions I can launch in a month.

Part of my mod selection has been about balance. For example, RemoteTech makes probes more interesting but also harder to use — you need an active antenna, meaning omnis at short range and targeted dishes at long range; you need line-of-sight back to Mission Control, even if that means bouncing across multiple satellites; and on top of that, it enforces speed-of-light delay on all probe controls (but offers you a flight computer to program smart maneuvers ahead of time, to deal with signal delay + possibility of losing signal). But if probes are “nerfed” like this, then why use probes at all? Well, because they don’t need life support — hence the TAC-LS mod.

(To be fair, I was big on role-playing the space agency thing — even before life support, if I didn’t plan on bringing a craft back, or just planned on sitting it in space in an orbit indefinitely, I just decided that obviously it was a probe and needed to be unmanned. But adding life support makes me go one step further, attempting difficult things like unmanned Munar landings before trying the real thing.)

Add onto that a small number of personal rules — no declining contracts to farm them, have to let them expire; and, no boosting science via the Admin Building, it’s hella OP — and the remaining unfinished & unbalanced game issues mostly go away.

• jonahcutter says:

Kerbal’s emergent possibilities shine under an Ironman ruleset.

On an exploratory trip to and orbits of the Mun, I ran out of fuel on the return and got a Kerbal stuck way, way out. I sent out an unmanned single-seat capsule and after a lot of tweaking, got it on a semi-close trajectory with my stuck Kerbal’s craft. It too was low on fuel though, so I had to spacewalk across 4k of space between the two craft, not knowing if I could manage it or if the game would even allow it.

It ended up a successful rescue of my adrift Kerbal. And one of my most intense and enduring gaming memories.

Wisq says:

Yeah, this post was what sold me on the Kerbal Construction Time + life support combo.

Basically, he accidentally separated the life support from the capsule in Munar orbit and had 18 hours to rescue his Kerbals. I can now speak personally when I say that building a lunar-capable ship in 18 hours (3 days) under KCT is highly difficult — many of my current ships take a dozen or more days to complete (although I build four of them at a time and my upgrades are mostly invested in science, not build speed).

But, he managed to build it in 12.5 hours, get it there in 6 hours, and save them. Not rescue, mind, but just supply them with enough life support for a proper rescue.

Similarly, I’ve had moments where I reached for the SAS button and hit the launch button by accident, and you just learn to roll with it (sometimes literally). Highly exciting. Even those early missions where we were aiming for a particular altitude (before we made orbit), I didn’t even care if we missed the altitude and came back empty-handed — just coming back alive was an achievement of its own. And the few times I had to bail and use personal parachutes were so wonderfully bittersweet. (He’s alive! Yay! But it’ll take me weeks to rebuild all those parts I lost! Boo!)

• LionsPhil says:

I’m surprised hardcore players aren’t more in the habit of using Alt-L to lock out staging, given they don’t allow allow quickloading away even silly control accidents.

Wisq says:

Yeah, I tend to do that once I’m in orbit, when the rate of staging decreases dramatically and is far more deadly than just (say) accidentally losing a bunch of fuel while you’re still sub-orbital.

Still, won’t save you if you unlock it briefly to do a legitimate staging and accidentally pop off one stage too many, say.

• LionsPhil says:

Honestly, that’s the kind of thing I would use quicksave for.

It’s unrealistic to wind back the clock, but it’s also unrealistic that staging would be manually controlled by a big ol’ PC keyboard spacebar.

I guess you could pretend it’s a component failure, for exciting space-rescue times as above.

7. Marley says:

TF2 (like every weekend for me) and maybe some payday 2 if i can get enough friends organized :)

Risingson says:

Nothing. Got a personal crisis some weeks ago when I started to think that all sandboxes and most rpgs and adventures were aimed to make your character be a complete jerk of human being (with self justification or without it) and that may have been causing everything that I have been reading lately about some members of the “gaming community”. I still enjoy reading about games, I just cannot enjoy them now. So I will park them for some more weeks until I can go back to this Fallout New Vegas game and finish it without thinking “why I am killing all these unnamed people?”.

Yeah, it is horrible to think this way. It has spoiled my fun.

9. SigmaCAT says:

I grabbed Deadly Premonition on the Humble (and by God does it look good with DPfix) and OlliOlli whose soundtrack kicks my ass every 5 seconds or so.

I also found Hit the Road on GoG, I remember my father bringing home a Sam & Max CD when I was a kid but then again, these were the XP times, so no Sam and Max for little me.
    I’m also learning to fly in BF3.

10. Anthile says:

I started playing Deadly Premonition a couple of days ago. Isn’t that right, Zach?

• Pan Vidla says:

Good luck! I’ve finished the game about a week ago and even though I really liked it in it’s own way, I am not sure if it can live up to the hype. I mean, it’s beautifully broken, but most of the time it’s just broken and bad without any other adjectives.

11. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

“The port seems to have had any initial problems annihilated”

Wait a second, you mean that it’s possible to go above 1080p now?

Risingson says:

(I posted something minutes ago and it went down the sink).

Nothing. I had a crisis some weeks ago where I was playing Fallout New Vegas and I thought, “wait, I am playing in complete self interest. My character is an hypocrite and absolutely cynical. And he is killing hundreds and hundreds of unnamed people and even interfering in the ecosystem just for… for money? for political ideas?”. Then I thought that maybe videogames educated us to be like this. And then I can barely enjoy any videogame without feeling that I am playing a person I hate. And it happened to me in every sandbox, in every rpg, in every adventure game that I played lately.

• tiltaghe says:

there is for sure a strong materialist creed in videogames. I’m sometimes sick of all the gathering and empowerment.

I think this is one of the reasons why I bounce off so many games so early. I still have a wonderful time with the ones I like mind you, but I am really quick to decipher a game that is vain for me. And that feeling can’t be redeemed.

• Philopoemen says:

this is the reason I can’t play the Paydays or GTAs…I find something intrinsically wrong about shooting cops and innocents, and it’s only exacerbated by the fact I am a cop in day to day life.

I’m not silly enough to state that actions in games lead to actions in reality, and largely games are cathartic release for me, but still I find myself playing less realistic stuff simply as it hits a bit too close to home at times.

• Bodylotion says:

I was playing New Vegas last week but somehow i cant seem to load my game anymore…

• LionsPhil says:

Welcome to Bethesda’s engine. Known bug.

You’ve been saving in separate slots, right? :/

• Kaeoschassis says:

I haven’t had that problem with New Vegas yet. Yet. I have, however, had it in literally every other Bethesda engine game I’ve played, right the way back to Daggerfall. That’s a pretty impressive record. Now, I wanna make this clear, I’m a huge fan of the TES series and I tend to cut devs a fair bit of slack if their games are, yknow, fun to play, but seriously. How can this still be a problem after all these years?

bsplines says:

I had the same issue where the latest save wouldn’t load. What I found was that I could load an earlier save and then load the latest save from the options menu within that. A strange workaround but worked every time.

But yeah, Bethesda game engine…

• Martel says:

Maybe you just need a genre change. Pick up something like HexCells or Miasmata or something.

• Synesthesia says:

I agree with this guy. Maybe you can take this as a chance to go into deeper holes? Some walking simulators? Non-lethal elite dangerous?

Risingson says:

Thanks doctors :)

Not much into “walking simulators”, really; I am one of those guys that thinks that Proteus, Gone Home and/or Dear Esther are a complete failure as art, as games and as experiences. But yes, Hexcells would be the way to be. Or taking the DS, removing the dust, and continuing the Super Mario savegame I have from two years ago.

• BooleanBob says:

This is basically the reason I could enjoy Pikmin (Olimar worked with the Pikmin to survive; although he put them in danger he felt terribly conflicted about it) but felt vaguely disgusted with myself throughout Pikmin 2 (where he went back to exploit the Pikmin to enrich himself).

It didn’t put me off all games forever, though.

Wisq says:

Yeah, I find a lot of games particularly frustrating in terms of how they encourage certain established behaviours with no concern for how that fits into roleplaying.

For example, almost any fantasy game (and tons of non-fantasy ones too) whereby, if you see a container of any sort — be it in public, on private property, inside someone’s home — you are both encouraged and pretty much expected to go loot it. Sometimes they’ll try to protect them with game mechanics, like having to do it unseen (although that usually just makes it more challenging and fun). Sometimes they’ll even protect it with arbitrary moralistic eye-of-God systems that affect some sort of global karma meter (but that ignores any legitimate justification the player might have). But most often, there’s nothing, and in fact you’re expected to get most of your gear by looting anything you see (including corpses).

It’s tempting to try to roleplay it and actually legitimately ignore things you’re not specifically given or entitled to (or legitimately bought). But almost no game actually supports that without making your life ridiculously difficult, and you usually get zero reward or recognition for not doing those things.

TBH, now that I think about it, maybe this is the real mental harm of video games, not the violence and murder and the like. The notion that you’re expected to take whatever you can grab, and that you shouldn’t help anyone unless you get a reward for it. That you’re better than everyone else because you’re the hero, and you’re entitled by nature. There’s been a certain hard-right anti-social-justice slant to recent gaming events, and now maybe it’s a little easier to see where some gamers might get that sort of attitude from. :/

Risingson says:

Exactly this. And it is frightening when you think about it, isn’t it?

• cthulhie says:

I’ve long just assumed games tend to be moral vacuums, but I’d never really made the explicit connection between defensive entitlement as one of the biggest problems in gaming culture and the fact that it’s also core to the narrative and mechanics of. every. game. ever.

Mind you, I move from there to note this is characteristic of a privileged demographic that games won’t stop marketing to even though the audience has expanded, so of course it’ll trickle into design philosophies to appeal to the audience (for perfectly appropriate and non-cynical reasons–the problem is not the fact that we’re trying to make games that connect with the player) etc. etc. But that was a total jaw-drop moment there, so thanks!

• fish99 says:

Yes you kill a lot of people in FNV, but they’re generally murdering savages (Caesers legions, random bandits etc). If your killing hundreds of murders prevents the killing of thousand of innocents, then it’s possible to justify it somewhat. Also financial gain is not the main aim in the game, the quests are generally about helping people. The game would have you believe the world is a better place when you’re finished (for the 3 people you didn’t kill).

13. Shadowcat says:

Moving on from “Heavy Bullets”, which I finally beat in a single run last weekend (and then uninstalled, as it’s fairly addictive :)

I bought “The Fall” on the Humble Store today, so I might give that a whirl.

• phanatic62 says:

I’ve been loving Heavy Bullets, although I’m not terribly good at it. I really dig all of the choices you have, but in the end turrets get me every time. I’ve never bothered to look into how I *should* be playing in order to win as I personally find learning how to succeed to be the point of playing most games, but I’m sure I’m doing something wrong at a basic level.

14. Koshinator says:

Elite.. some more Elite and perhaps some Elite to round things off.. heh

15. Eight Rooks says:

That sentence makes me want to go off and weep quietly in a corner.

Also, Prototype was a bad game and anyone who likes it should feel bad. Said it before, but I remember people whining about Assassin’s Creed and its supposed “auto-running” – you just hold down the joystick and go to sleep, hahaha, etc. That is literally what Prototype was. Yes, I do mean literally; I started yawning. Couldn’t believe a game had managed to make traversing a city with superpowers so boring.

• KDR_11k says:

Climbing in Prototype was never meant to be a focus, running up buildings is something you do casually all the time. You’re a movie monster (most obvious in the traffic parkour animation, you just casually hop onto a car and to the next like monsters in a movie), those don’t get scenes where they slowly climb up a wall and have to grab each brick individually, they just run vertically and then pounce on some people.

The difference with Assassin’s Creed is that AC pretends climbing is something complicated and difficult with tons of different animations, in Prototype you just plant your feet against a wall and run completely effortlessly. The focus in Pt is combat, hence the game puts way more effort into combat than just “press counter”.

• Eight Rooks says:

Sadly I did not see anything to like about the combat, either, and it wasn’t helped by the fact the game was basically Hatred without the neo-Nazi connections. A complete tool has something bad happen to him for no reason so he decides he’ll kill everyone. Yay, videogames! Ugh. Saints Row IV was a joyous, hilarious, gleefully absurdist piece of pure fun that revelled in letting you be a superhero and was well aware of just how stupid it all was (and became far more than the sum of its parts as a result). Prototype was the creepy kid at the back of class doodling pentagrams and tentacle monsters on his textbooks, if you got a look inside his head.

16. cpt_freakout says:

I’ll keep playing my ragged team of careless Desert Rangers (“oops, I almost killed everyone with that mine”, “oops, I didn’t check that safe for traps”, “oops, I should’ve told that Red Skorpion sergeant I’d pay”) in Wasteland 2, if time allows. I’m also aching to play everything by Amplitude (Space, Legend, and Dungeon) but I think that’ll have to wait. Maybe someday I’ll even get to play Divinity: Original Sin, which has been sitting in my Steam library for ages. :P

• Buuurr says:

Original Sin is good… but then it gets old. The humor they keep trying over and over to inject gets old and after a while it just gets weak. I haven’t played it in ages and I did invest some time into it. I have no desire or care to go back to it. It burnt me out on RPGs for a while.

• Detocroix says:

Divinity Original Sin seems to split opinions preeeetty much. To me it was one of the best, if not the best, RPG of the recent history. The humor didn’t hurt me much, I just loved the interactions and how foreboding the overall feeling of it was. To be fair, I didn’t finish the game. Got stuck at the end, but it was still absolutely brilliant from start to end.

17. Palindrome says:

Red Orchestra 2, Sunless sea and I am about half way through the gigantic Shadows of Mordor download.

18. Pan Vidla says:

I’ve done a little bit too much work on my bachelor thesis this week, so I feel intellectually saturated and don’t feel at all guilty anymore about playing Batman: Arkham City, which is, by the way, a shining example of a pretty much perfect sandbox game in my book.

• Ben Barrett says:

If I didn’t have such a tremendous Mass Effect love gland, Arkham City would likely be my GOAT. Very, very good.

• Detocroix says:

Have you played GOAT simulator? It might fit your love life perfectly!

19. Drumclem says:

I should be preparing classes and seeing friends, but I think I’ll just spend the week-end hunting/being hunted by hunters in Evolve!

The launch was a bit messy, but god this game feels great. And deep. Can’t wait for the official launch, they are going to Left 4 Dead me on this one, once again.

• captain nemo says:

Evolve Alpha for me too. Though my attempts at Dwarf Fortress are engaging

20. Tainted says:

After a 3 year gap I bought Football Manager and started playing it a week ago.

Please send help!

21. Herzog says:

Wasteland 2 – Currently 13 hours into the game and just finished the Rail Nomads Camp. Making my way to Darwin now. Been killed by some Honey Badgers at the destillery, guess I need some explosives for them!

22. sendmark says:

Elite Beta 3 – nearly got my ASP, playing in the RPS private group mostly, will also test out open play again.

I’ve got 3030 DeathWar on the backburner, and will catch up with Starsector at some point.

23. lowprices says:

Drifting between Fez and Persona 4 on the Vita, replaying Longest Journey on the PC, and a third playthrough of Demon’s Souls on the PS3. Although I did pick up Eldritch cheap yesterday, so maybe I need to put more time into that. Oh the agony of choice…

24. golem09 says:

Roleplaying Skyrim as Geralt the Witcher. Works pretty well so far. Love Field Alchemy and the Requiem Alchemic Mutations skilltree. First time I played Skyrim since it’s release and I love it.

25. Geebs says:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, because it’s brilliant and because it runs on my ageing ultrabook. I’d forgotten how much Dark Souls owes this game.

26. tiltaghe says:

Next Car Game: Wreckfest !! 20+ players on oval speedway gives me this thrill, it’s like Destruction Derby 2, but ONLINE ! And I’m not biased by nostalgia as I still emulate DD2 once a year or so to do a full career ^^

27. FreeTom says:

Oddly, MGR:R is exactly what I’m playing at the moment, too.

I picked it up in the Steam summer sale, got the crap kicked out of me and than abandoned it for a few months of Planetside 2.

It’s all about the parry system. The tutorial bits don’t underline this effectively enough. It’s mentioned like it’s one thing you can do amongst loads of other little tricks but the whole game is about being really good at parrying.

On that note, don’t turn on the easy mode assisted parry. That reduces the whole game to several hours of hammering the X button.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It’s one of the few games i really played repetitively just to get any last challenge done, it’s that good.

Yes, i also went to the pain of S-ranking the whole Revengeance mode, Steam still puts the achievement as completed by 0.59% of the game’s owners, unsurprisingly so since i can’t see many people putting up with that bullshit with zen-like patience.

Oh and my controller is surprisingly still intact and not out of the window or something.

• Ben Barrett says:

I’m planning on replaying it for some completionist stuff, but having heard what some of the requirements are for 100%ing… no thanks.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I tend to consider myself a ‘casual completionist’, if such a thing can be said to exist. I get a lot of joy out of going back and replaying things to get better, poking around for secrets and easter eggs, etc. I’m a huge fan of things like shmups where gradually improving through repetition is a major part of the game. I have literally 100% completed Iji, and if you know that bloody game, that’s quite the thing. But there is DEFINITELY a line, and when I look at the 100% achievements for some games I just break down and cry. Long story short, I am decidedly not one of the 0.59%.

28. slerbal says:

More Legend of Grimrock 2 and DoorKickers. Both completely different games, and both are amazing.

29. mpk says:

After 20-odd spectacularly dull hours with Civ BE through the week, I’ll be spending no more time with it until there’s some form of expansion or SUPER ULTROEXCITE PATCH!!!!! made available.

I’ll probably try out the Evolve alpha that’s just appeared in my Steam library, and maybe pick up where I left off in Alien Isolation: frustratingly trapped in a cupboard. Also: thanks to a work friend, there’s possible multiplayer shenanigans in Risk of Rain and Artemis Bridge Sim.

30. Vandelay says:

Sitting waiting for my PS4 controller to arrive today (correction – arrived as I was typing this,) so I can finally replace my 8-9 year old, clunky Logitech Dual Action controller. No doubt I will then be playing games better suited to a controller.

I have Injustice to continue with, so will probably dabble with that some more. Good fun fighting game, that manages to capture much of what superhero biffing is about.

Finished downloading NBA 2k15 yesterday, which is on a free weekend on Steam at the moment. I know nothing of basketball, but I’ve been fancying some sporty game for a little while, as it has been years since I’ve played one and been tempted to give this a whirl. Briefly played last night and it seems fun. I have just about gotten the hang of shooting, but have no idea how you are supposed to defend. The menu systems and the team management stuff is a complete nightmare to navigate though, particular as someone who has no idea what any of the terminology means. I’ve not dug into the tutorial stuff, but it looks like it will be just tedious videos, so not sure how much help that would be. I’m impressed with how far commentary has come in these games though. Don’t know if it will become repetitive, but so far it has been filled with little anecdotes and stats, whilst managing to avoid the jumping around and stitched together lines that I always remember from years ago. So, will be playing some more of this over the weekend to see if it might be worth a purchase at some point.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Holding the left trigger puts you into a defensive stance, but you need to be careful with that and always mobile as the best players will roll past you with little effort otherwise.

You have to gradually get to grips with what makes the “play” to fully enjoy it though, but that will come with time, once you start learning how to set up screens, how to move for rebound, pick and roll and all that jazz. A complete understanding and a really solid play are the only way to get an A score in your career, which is more of a teamplayer score, and you’ll probably find that your first games will give some bad scores.

Start with a crap team by the way, you will get more minutes of playtime sooner and that will really help purchase the ultra important first upgrades, as you start getting good you’ll probably score a big offer for your next year. For example i got into the Bulls with 34 minutes of playtime, more than the other members, and i plan to stick there.

• Vandelay says:

Great tips, thanks. I did dip into the “2kU” videos and they did give some useful information. Also glanced at the controls again and saw quite a few actions that I hadn’t figured out myself. Pity that they don’t have a decent tutorial area that lets try all this out though.

• Rian Snuff says:

Just something I’ve learned using PS4 controllers on windows.
      Theres a few flavours of DS4Windows around and it can be confusing which one is best.
      The original recieves no more updates and it has been given to the community to carry on.

Dunno’ if you have yet, but you can even use the touch pad to control windows mouse VERY well.
      Great for big picture mode or game menus. : )

The best and most functional version with plenty of updates is..
      link to dsdcs.com

DelrueOfDetroit says:

And if you are using Windows 7, good luck getting it to connect via Bluetooth. I have tries every fix possible and I can never get it to work consistently. Plugging it in with a USB always works though. Still prefer it over the over rated X-Box controller and its stupid analog stick in the wrong spot.

• Rian Snuff says:

Curious, does bluetooth function better in Windows 8?
          Or 10 preview..

I have a few different dongles and yea, they tend to all be a bitch.
          First time with a fresh connect is fine but after that you get run through the loop.
          Quite annoying.

But yes, still an improvement over 360 controllers I’d say, by far.
          Sold them and bought the lady and myself two PS4 ones after a day of testing.
          It was that night and day to me. Love the teeny weenie deadzone.

31. Asurmen says:

Evolve alpha.

Lexx87 says:

Can’t disagree more about SR4 – it is incredible. OPINIONS!

• Detocroix says:

It was great compared to SR1, but compared to SR2 or SR3 I felt it was lacking in all aspects. One of the lamest alien designs in games… :< Great jokes, great overall feeling, but I kinda dislike the super powers as they make almost all the car and gun related content useless.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

They look like a shitily designed Unreal tech demo.

33. Mud says:

Farm Simulator 15 ………. really

• fish99 says:

I noticed that was the top seller on Steam yesterday. Did pewdiepie release a video of it or something? ;)

(it’s actually nice to see more people discovering the simulator genre)

• Martel says:

How is it compared to the previous versions (assuming you played them)? I find the idea of them fascinating but the execution seems to leave a lot to be desired.

Grizzly says:

Farming Simulator is rather popular amongst the youth of the area where I grew up in. Which happens to be rural. I always thought it was just silliness driving a tractor around, but there’s quite a big economic aspect to it as well.

It’s basically a more corny version of X3.

34. Severian says:

Endless Legend, which I’ve been obsessing over for the past 3 weeks. Not a perfect game, but certainly the best 4x I’ve played in a long while. Interesting lore, very difference races to explore, emphasis on civ-management vs. constant slogs of warfare, beautiful interface. The developers just need to keep working on the AI. Highly recommended.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The emphasis on city building over war is what interests me. That was always my favourite part of Civ but then that would be ruined by a bunch of jackasses with spears or guns coming to ruin your fun.

35. Henson says:

Your opinions of SR4 are pretty much spot-on with mine. I played the first few hours on a free weekend, and loved the style and narrative, and was thoroughly disappointed by the collection of dull minigames. ‘Is this what I’d be doing for the next 15 hours?’, I wondered.

Other than DOTA 2 and another Dragon Age: Origins playthrough, I’ve dabbled into a little I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream. I’m not quite sure if I’m supposed let the characters kill themselves or if I can actually do something with the items I’ve found.

• LionsPhil says:

‘Is this what I’d be doing for the next 15 hours?’, I wondered.

Pretty much.

4 was such a step back from 3 it isn’t even funny. I mean, literally; the writing’s a let-down too.

Wisq says:

Despite the dodgy PC port, I’m still going to say that 2 was the best of the entire series. (Caveat: I never played 1.)

However, I’ll disagree on 4 vs 3. I think 3 was a massive step down from 2, but 4 was actually a few small steps up from 3, even if they kinda went too far in terms of writing the series into a corner, plot-wise.

• LionsPhil says:

Well, I at least agree about 2!

Wisq says:

In retrospect, I was actually amazed at how many moderately-big name voice actors were in 2, and yet how few of them I actually noticed and recognised (I think approximately zero) yet instantly recognise on hearing them again.

An interesting exercise in subtlety, unlike the recent “omg look at me” cameos they’ve been putting in. (The Roddy Piper thing was funny, at least. The Burt Reynolds thing just came across as weird.)

• LionsPhil says:

Michael Dorn is in a suprising lot of things.

Wisq says:

Indeed, but also Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser/Dr Horrible), Daniel Dae Kim (Lost), Eliza Dushku (Buffy), and of course, Keith David before he got his cameo in 4.

• Ben Barrett says:

From what I remember of No Mouth, some of their deaths are inevitable. There’s a bunch of different endings though. I love that game a lot, but mostly just because Harlan Ellison has the greatest voice (he’s the writer and does the computer’s VO).

• bonuswavepilot says:

Just don’t try to play the French/German releases – they had Nimdok’s section censored, which made it impossible to get the best ending.

• BooleanBob says:

Was there a ‘best’ ending? From what I remember of it, while you could fuck over the various higher factions there was no way to secure (any kind) of release for the survivors.

• Henson says:

That narration is pretty fantastic. Still only 1 of 5 survivors explored, so we’ll see if this key has a use, or if AM is just dangling the carrot in front of my face with maniacal glee.

36. LionsPhil says:

I am driving a bumper-car with terible physics around trying to collect ducks while screens occasionally pop up telling me that I have a crate but to keep my crate I will have to delete my crates because my crate of crates is full.

Of crates.

• welverin says:

Yeah, just give the crates away, they’re worthless.

Interestingly, the new Halloween crates do not drop, you buy them from the store and open them (no key involved).

• Martel says:

You can even sell quite a few of them for a few pennies each on the Steam market. If you have enough to fill your inventory you might have enough to get some DLC or a game in the next Steam sale.

• DrGonzo says:

All the while looking like this link to lionsphil.co.uk

Still can’t stop laughing.

37. Grovester says:

Elite:Dangerous Beta 3, possibly give The Long Dark a quick go (Steam Sales!) and probably some Skyrim. Yes, I know.

• rittenhaus says:

You and me, too. Elite has been a delight so far. I had put Skyrim away for a good while but with some good mods, I’m enjoying it again. And some modded Minecraft, although I seem to be the only one who ever plays on my server. Tried the bees thing again after reading an article here on RPS. It was fun for about a week until my butterflies all stopped doing anything. I blew up my base with a stack of TNT and went on walkabout.

38. Dave Tosser says:

I don’t actually play video games, I just complain about them on the internet.

Well, alright- I have been playing Arx Fatalis. But I’ve been doing just as much angry internet man grumbling as well just to balance things out.

39. Kefren says:

Just finished this: link to karldrinkwater.blogspot.com
    So I will play the 400 DLC then start season 2.

40. schurem says:

Elite : Dangerous for me with a sprinkling of World of Tanks, but the main course will be an evening of Artemis tonight with friends

• derbefrier says:

oh man I have been trying to get some friends to try out Artimis I bet that shit is a blast.,

41. EkoAzarak says:

I’m playing a game i found on a gamestore rack called MISSING.
    link to amazon.com

i got it for 10$ and its freaking amazing. Its a murder mystery based on medieval and ancient religious history. This game is FAR more interesting that reading that fiction of bullshit Da Vinci Code. Missing forces you to solve puzzles and riddles based on research and clues left by a killer. very intriguing, sometimes disturbing. really fun and engaging. im loving it. i bought the sequel too but Missing: Since January is gonna occupy me for a few weeks i think. Really interesting game design. I highly recommend it for people that love a deep mystery and find learning fun.

42. Trittlewoots says:

I plan to have an epic fantasy adventure in Dominions 4 whilst peripherally soaking in The Wheel of Time audio book. Last weekend was Wurm + Ready Player One.

43. Oakreef says:

Blade Runner. I’m a bit disappointed with the abrupt ending to the first case (maybe it’s because I fucked up and it kind of threw me the end of the case LA Noire style? not sure) but it’s really cool so far. I also like how it seems to take more inspiration from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep emphasising the rarity of real animals and mentioning the ruins outside the city.

• bonuswavepilot says:

It was a bit buggy at times, but I really liked how faithfully they recreated the aesthetic. Also, that when the story changed, things would be factually different form one run to another, like folks who were simulants in one game were not in the next…

• Kaeoschassis says:

Not a lot of games have the guts to do that, and I think that’s a shame.

44. fish99 says:

I thought I was finished with my 2nd Skyrim playthrough (no fast travel), but then I discovered there’s legendary dragons which you need to be lvl 75 to see, so I might keep playing. Plenty of quests left. It gets really hard to level once you get to about 60 though unless you either reset your skills (completely gimping yourself) or switch your entire build.

45. Minsc_N_Boo says:

Like most weekends since it was released, I will be playing some Path of Exile. I am looking to finish chapter 3 of Witcher 2 & thanks to Humble Bundle I will also try out my free copy of Teleglitch :-)

46. CyberianHusky says:

Currently playing the Dragonfall campaign of Shadowrun Returns. Starting playing the difficulty on Hard because I found that Dead Man’s Switch campaign is quite easy on Normal. I must say that the decking session is quite long and annoying and it’s quite challenging. Still I really enjoyed the combat and the story. Wish that more game have cyberpunk as their setting.

• Philopoemen says:

Make sure its the Director’s Cut version – adds a lot more content to the vanilla Dragonfall game, which is already better than DMS, and the DC is free if you already own DF

47. derbefrier says:

Star Citizen for me! the .92 patch dropped yesterday and is game changing. A new targeting system which i like a lot so far, doubled the size of maps plus lots of other changes. Its a big patch and so far I think its a really good one. ITs sooo much fun now that i can actually hit targets with some regularity. Also they unveiled the first person shooter module yesterday and it looks promising

link to robertsspaceindustries.com

• Rian Snuff says:

I had no freakin idea they were doing that.

It’s EVE all over again, but hopefully without the heartbreak to learn it’s a console exclusive.

All my want.

48. dead centre says:

Thief 2 – going through all the secrets I missed before, like disposing of Sheriff Truart’s body in Blackmail …

49. Cipherpunk says:

Too many options at the moment. My wife wants us to play Terraria today because Terraria. Factorio just got it’s multiplayer update with tanks. The Evolve alpha event is happening this weekend. Endless Legend is calling my name with freshly added mod support. The list just goes on for me.

I don’t recall having to make difficult choices like this when I was younger. Games were simple. I used to sink hundreds of hours into a handful of titles. Now I’m lucky to play a game for a couple hours before being swept away by some other update, add-on, event etc.

• Kaeoschassis says:

There is a surprisingly simple solution to your predicament, good internet person.
      Be poor.

Seriously, it’s incredible the amount of time you get out of a few games when it might be ages before you can get new ones. I always have a little laugh to myself when people go on about having huge backlogs of games they haven’t even played, haven’t even installed and run.

Not a sob story, by the by, I’m quite happy this way!

50. Ben Barrett says:

Yeah, I’ve noticed this and don’t think it’s just because I’ve grown up and got a job. There are literally too many games.