Have You Played… Beast Boxing Turbo

Beast Boxing Turbo is a simple pleasure, the kind that’s hard to write about. It’s Super Punch-Out but with monsters. You’re a human woman who has decided to enter a beast-only fighting league by wearing a haphazardly designed costume. You first-person punch your way through progressively more difficult bouts and, in between, spend the money you earn on new equipment and new moves.

And that’s it. And it’s great.

Partly it’s the sense of humour with which everything is presented. It’s a silly idea for a game and it knows it, lightly riffing on tropes from Rocky movies. The beasts you come up against are all creatively designed, like you’ve stumbled across an older, unknown 2D Zeno Clash.

It’s partly that there’s always fun to be had in watching numbers increase. You win fights, you earn money, and you gain ever more unlikely tools to help you in the next bout. The fights themselves require at least some skill from you, as you dodge special attacks, string combos together and try to make sure you don’t tire yourself out.

And it’s partly just that it’s so simple. The game is £4, neatly designed, and relaxing to boff through fifteen minutes at a time. A nice thing.

1. Martel says:

Thank you for posting this, I completely spaced that I got it in a bundle a long time ago and never played it. Now I know what game to put at the top of my queue, which is almost more difficult than playing said game :)

2. Arren says:

It’s a fun little romp of a game — well worth the price of admission.

3. Rendar says:

This is a great game. Glad to see it covered here.

It’s the kind of game you’d normally need a console to play; so if you don’t own a console you should definitely check it out.

Simple, fun, adrenaline fuelled action; and though quite short, because of the RPG-like skill upgrades, you don’t feel like you’re wasting your time by playing through it again on a harder difficulty.

Well worth your hard-earned :)

4. LTK says:

…like you’ve stumbled across an older, unknown 2D Zeno Clash.

I don’t know what you mean by older; Zeno Clash was released more than three years before Beast Boxing.

The game looks like a hoot, I like the concept but I haven’t gotten the game myself.

• pepperfez says:

I think he means that it looks like an older game because of its obviously Punch Out!-inspired graphics.

5. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Fun but a bit too easy.
    Actually, way too easy.

• Riaktion says:

I like easy games. Hooray for easy games!

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

I played the demo and couldn’t finish the second fight. :-(

• Blackcompany says:

The game offers a fantastic choice: On normal difficulties it can get fairly challenging. Especially in NG+ mode. However, setting the game on Easy after a difficult day at work is also quite the treat. Go a couple of rounds on Easy mode in the afternoon, and stress just…vanishes.

All in all its a really fantastic little game. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in this sort of thing, and all the more during holiday sales.

6. Alevice says:

Its a nice short game, but lacks the more puzzle aspects of Punch Out games, most monsters can be defeated with the very same tactics, the only challenge being the zombie pig. I beat it on normal and hard on a single playthrough accross a single day.

The art is fabulous, and I hope to eventually see an expanded sequel.

7. RegisteredUser says:

While a nice try, this isn’t anywhere remotely close to the class and flaire that Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out had on the NES. Bought it in a bundle and played through most of it, but soon realized most of the tricks it taught weren’t as necessary as it made it seem if you just knew how to pummel the opponent.

Still, we’re missing a new level of boxing sim and at least someone gave it a try. Its a near dead genre.

• Moraven says:

I would love a new Ready 2 Rumble Boxing game.

Punch-Out Wii was fun.

Last FIght Night was in 2011.