Star Citizen Reveals FPS Component, Illfonic Developing

Star Citizen is all-consuming. It is the devouring omni-game, always in need of more genres to absorb. So comes the official reveal of the FPS ‘module’ of the game, used when not in the pilot seat, be that during planetfall, on stations or just popping out for a quick absolute zero stroll. As rumoured, it’s being outsourced to Nexuiz developers Illfonic. Admiral Chris Roberts, complete in space uniform, was at PAX Australia to show off the first footage of four vs four team battles on a space station. Check it out below.

Lord, Star Citizen is cool. Even in its early state, with months and years of development time and precious few details regarding half of the major elements of the final game, it’s still exciting. The concept is infectiously fascinating – controlling not just a pilot but a person who can go anywhere, do anything, feasibly take this game of starships and make it one of anything they like.

It’s a ways off that, of course. This footage of the first-person side is pretty but clearly still alpha, simultaneously awkward and impressive. Here are some Illfonic chaps with more to say about it:

Elsewhere in Citizentopia, a recent post detailed how a ship goes from ideas to fully functional flier. Most interestingly it shows just how much control over every stage of the project Chris Roberts has. The most recent crowdfunding goals have focused on these new ships, with the $59 million mark bringing the Crucible, a jack of all-trades, while $60 million will bring the Bulldog long-range fighter.

RSI also recently patched new control options into the pew-pew spaceships Arena Commander side:

If you fancy getting into Star Citizen, give ’em money for some Internet spaceships.

1. toshiro says:

Next there will be The Sims-add on.

• FireStorm1010 says:

Yea lol , its a bit hilarious. IF they pull it as a whole it will be something unique, but the range of compenents is so vast it starts to be funny. I want a blind date simultor next lol.

2. Cross says:

This utter lack of focus bodes badly for the quality of the game. A game that tries to be all things to all people is just going to suck.

• Cinek says:

It’s being worked by a separate studios – you are free to think of it as a separate games, only all adhering to the same standards. I hardly can see any “lack of focus”. FPS module was part of a development since the very first crowdfunding push.

• Hanban says:

And some (I), would argue that adding those types stretch goals was ill-conceived from the very start. Since I backed this I have my hopes, but to be honest I share the concerns that the breadth of the scope will become a problem.

• Cinek says:

Why? There are separate studios working on a separate parts of the game. It’s not like 5 people try to do everything. More like: separate groups of people work on separate games that later will be compiled under one exe file with some shared components.
          And things like that – the FPS module – are what makes Star Citizen an unique and innovative game instead of just a modern-day game of the 90s (people who wanted that sort of gameplay already backed Elite).

• Artist says:

People tend to fear what they dont understand…

• Nogo says:

That’s not necessarily a good thing since they’re trying to make one game, not five.

RaveTurned says:

Exactly what Nogo said. All of these disparate modules have to feed back into a common experience and feel like an integrated whole. They have to be balanced against each other so that no parts feel overpowered or redundant, and they have to convey a shared theme, sense of place and scale. Managing that across separate studios is going to be a hell of a job for someone, and each module that’s added makes that job exponentially harder.

• HisDivineOrder says:

Do you know how many games suffer because they have TWO studios working on TWO components for a game? You’ve certainly played the games where the single player is made by one studio and the multiplayer is made by another, right? Medal of Honor Warfighter? Aliens Colonial Marines? Return to Castle Wolfenstein? Hell, any modern game with Raven Software in the credit list? Now you’re telling me everything’s okay because there’s FIVE studios working on separate components?

The coordination and financial costs between multiple studios is multiplied exponentially by each new developer contributing. This is not better. It’s worse.

• fish99 says:

Yeah these components need to have some meaningful connection to each other or you end up with…. Spore, a load of barely connected mini games. 5 teams making different parts of one piece of software sounds technically very challenging too.

Also these parts inevitably draw development resources away from each other, and ensure that each part won’t reach the heights it could have if it was the sole focus.

• ANeM says:

The choice of studio doesn’t exactly help either. Illfonic has made one title, Nexuiz, which was only notable for the fact that they bought the name from what is was largely considered to be a superior freeware title by the existing fanbase. Hell, at this point the freeware version, created and still maintained by a team completely unrelated to Illfonic is just objectively better because it still has servers running. Xonotic, the original game to carry the Nexuiz name, can be downloaded and played right now, unlike Illfonics Nexuiz.

• Dave L. says:

Illfonic is a genuinely baffling choice for a studio for this. The only thing to recommend them is that they have released a CryEngine game, and presumably they were the lowest bidder. They’re terrible, terrible devs.

I was at THQ during Nexuiz’s development, and there are some genuinely nightmarish stories I could tell about that project.

After Nexuiz was out the door THQ refused to work with them again (which admittedly doesn’t mean much since they went under less than a year later, but still).

• Grendael says:

I played nexuiz for a few hours with some mates. We had fun with it. I would rather see fps module a little more like that than cod. What kinda terrible are we talking. Gimme the dirt.

• emertonom says:

Even if you consider 80% of all games to be of acceptable quality, then by the time you’ve got five different games all tied together, the chance of all of them being playable drops to 0.8^5, about 33%–conversely, there’s a 67% chance at least one part will be unplayably bad. And it’s not guaranteed you’ll be able to avoid the bad bits. That’s why people are worried about the ambition.

At least initially, it sounded like there were going to be, essentially, *two* games: Squadron 42, which was to be a single-player flight sim in the tradition of Wing Commander, and the broader multiplayer/mmo component (no separate name), along the lines of Privateer, but multiplayer…kind of what Elite Dangerous is doing. And you can’t say “people who wanted that already backed Elite,” because Elite crowdfunded in January 2013, where Star Citizen started crowdfunding in October 2012. (They started with “ignitiondeck,” taking paypal orders, before caving and starting a kickstarter.) The FPS mode showed up partway through the kickstarter, around the $3 million total mark, but then it was just going to be for boarding ships–since then, it’s grown to planetary exploration and so forth. They just kept getting more money and kept expanding the scope of the game. What’s more, a lot of that money has come from selling backers fancy new ships, essentially building microtransactions into the funding structure long before the game even begins–and having already done microtransactions, the team is now obliged to build in grind, because the early microtransactors will feel ripped off if the wads of cash they threw at the game early on turned out to be for easily-acquired in-game items. So it’s not really surprising if the initial funders, people who backed the game when a single-player, Wing Commander-style flight sim was half the proposition, are a little dismayed that the single player campaign is now some kind of afterthought in their money-minting MMO microtransaction machine. There were signs of this stuff early on, but at this point the worst early fears have been realized.

• Grendael says:

I think I’ve gone into details enough with other comments on this thread to explain why i think what you are saying is rubbish.

Its the spin you put on things that’s pretty crap ratber than the factual content. As far as i know the team in Manchester is pretty big. They are making sq42

• Cei says:

So that means Elite Dangerous is going to suck as well, because they’re adding boarding combat as well – just post launch.

• Kaeoschassis says:

So it’ll only suck post-launch…?

• Cei says:

Best plan ever. Get all the hype and good reviews in Alpha/Beta, then launch it to applause and love…then ruin it immediately with patches.

• HisDivineOrder says:

No, by focusing on it AFTER launch, they work on perfecting the part of the game that actually matters and then work on the “boarding party” section after that part’s well and done.

That’s the proper way to code a game. Don’t continue to expand your target to include more and more content. Finish what you originally started. THEN slap on other parts if you like.

• PopeRatzo says:

I am inclined to see this audaciousness as a good sign. My interest is piqued.

• Grendael says:

I get the impression from reading all things star citizen, which i regularly do, that they are well organised and know what they are doing. There are around 250 people working on the game now. This is one is the biggest Devs out there.

They have constant updates and let everyone know their thought processess. The staff all seem so energised by how open development is that i think they can pull it off.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Aye, people can twist it around as much as they want, but the game is still open.

Pretty tired of those constantly pushing the same old drivel, back in the day this game was considered vaporware ( just like Elite was by the same people that are now praising it, go figure ), now it’s feature creeped, then if they’ll manage to stitch all the features together decently you can rest assured that another problem will be found in a matter of seconds.

There’s really a serious bandwagon of hate, and i’m not really going to call it in any other way because there is NO possible explanation as to why so many people should be so up in arms about this game, actively pushing bad vibes and the hope that it fails, it’s simply sick and pathetic.

You can always twist the truth to make it look like you want, especially if you use an already well developed template that is already so virally spreaded by the “haters”, but that doesn’t make it any more true.

I’m pretty much sure this game will be more than worth the asking price for the starter pledge, which is incredibly cheap. This is all that matters, and those who will look at it post launch can still wait for reviews.

I really don’t see the problem there.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

People just like to be assholes. They want to say all along this game will fail and are actively rooting for it to do so, purely for the selfish reason that they can turn around and gloat and go “I told you so”. Merely another sad internet attempt by some people to feel superior to others.

Also lots of people are clearly excited about this so you have those opposing that who must put a downer on anything that makes people excited because they are incapable of any emotions other than negativity.

• Reapy says:

I can see it as a combination of two things. The first is that somehow elite and SC have become opposing parties, and if you like one, the other is a crap rip off. (I’ll probably be playing both myself).

The thing that SC had against it, in my mind at least, the way they are selling ships in game. The 100+ dollars of purchasing a ship for undefined gameplay was sort of like pre ordering taken to extremes. It also makes me think that in SC you are going to have to grind or pay big dollars to get pieces of the game in order to play it, probably going to get as bad as most AAA’s do with their DLC/F2P practices, if not worse.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

You can also buy credit, but the idea is that whatever sum you can buy ( and there’s a cap ) is not something enormous either.

The full intent is to have everything obtainable in game and, as i followed the project very closely to try and understand the proper design nuances, i really don’t think they have such a focus.

When you see such pricey ship sales you think “holy hell, all that greed will surely translate in the final game too”, but that’s mostly because they are clever and not ancient minded, they have a proper entry barrier for whatever budget, even rich people that are brilliantly catered to.

I bought an Anaconda in Elite and it was a huge, huge grind. I don’t really think SC will be much different in this regard, and even if it’ll take more time to get something bigger it will still be something you have to work for pretty intensely in both games. Let’s also remember the multicrewing part, there are multiple clans full of people with 1000+ dollars ship, you’re not going to be the commander flying with them, but you’ll likely have some serious fun in a big ship regardless, even if you’re broke.

And really there’s not a single reason for the Elite/SC war, no single sense in going so ballistic over the internet for such a thing other than, as Smokey said, try and pick the “right” side in order to be more clever than the other, which is an interwebz staple nowadays and just the “web edition” of any other ego contest in real life.

• Grendael says:

From what I understand the direct selling of ships for RLcurrency is a development fundraising strategy. you will not be able to do this post launch.

I might be wrong on this though.

• Rindan says:

I don’t think all of the scepticism is “hate”. I worry. I REALLY like the idea of SC. I fuckin’ love the vision of it. My worry about the mission creep is that they are simply going to burn all of their money. Each time they slap something new in, they push out the release date. Even with parallel teams, you still need to integrate the final products. Each thing they slap on increases the complexity and, far more importantly, the cost.

If SC had an unlimited set of funds I would be all for them trying to build my fantasy space universe where I can be anything from a mercenary gun totting dude, to space fighter guy, to grunt on a capital ship, to engineer running around fixing said capital ship. The idea of a real universe to live in with lots and lots of roles gives me a pretty epic amount of wood. So please, don’t think I am pessimistic because I hate SC over Elite or just want to watch something fail.

My concern really is the money stream. The whole kickstater style game development bit gives some really perverse incentives. You have pretty good cause to spend up front and produce something incredible, but the impetus to release is a lot less. It might even start to get scary when they suddenly realize that they have already milked the market and that on release day they will mostly just be handing people what was already promised rather than making new sales.

Personally, I would really like SC to work on using their money to get a solid product to the door, AND THEN start strapping on all the bells and whistles, if there is any chance they are going to burn their funding.

It really all comes down to what they cash flow looks like. We know they have a pile of money, but they also have a massive team. 250 people making on average 50K a year (which is probably conservative) is a 12.5 million dollar bleed, and that is before you consider facilities, equipment, licensing, health care , and all the other costs that go into running a business.

I’m not panicked, and I am REALLY hopeful, but I am also mildly concerned. I don’t think that is irrational.

• Grendael says:

I hsad you, but the ‘modules were planned from the start. So in terms of integration they planned for the complexity. The feature creep is all in the expanded scope of each module,

I think your points are very valid. I think SC knows it to.

I guarantee if backer money drys up a publisher will be standing there with a big bag of cash. For better or worse the game will be released. I just hope its 100% gamer funded

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well, now THIS is a very proper post.

Then again, i really hope you didn’t feel like you belong to the targets of my rant. There’s a lot about SC that worries me a lot aswell, i’m just reluctant to share since i’d simply give a good assist ( Played too much NBA2K15, sorry ) to those salivating at the idea of people crying if the whole thing bombs, since all they do in any SC article is more or less that.

• 2late2die says:

What lack of focus?? Right from the get go the vision for this game included FPS, because the idea (again from the very start) was not just you in a spaceship flying from place to place, but you being the pilot and being able to actually walk around, both your ship, various space stations and planets. It’s true that FPS combat was added a stretch goal but only because including that takes a lot of resources and when the campaign started CIG didn’t know if they’ll have the capital to do it. But the ultimate (grand) vision of the game always included that.

• K_Sezegedin says:

I don’t agree that it has an ‘utter’ lack of focus. The player is a pilot who can walk around ships, planets and stations, fight in those spaces and also have a military career before going freelancer.

Seems to me they knew what they wanted pretty much from the start, came up with a funding scheme, and are now making it happen.

Whether the game will suck? Lets wait until its released then pass judgement.

3. Zallgrin says:

I am quite interested in this game to come out! Whether it crashes or not does not matter much, as the parts shown are already good enough for me. Elite: Dangerous may be a more wellrounded game, but I feel like there’s too much of a strategic element involved.

Sometimes I just want to go and travel around the space without having to think much. That’s what Star Citizen seems to promise to me.

In other news: They collected 600k dollars on a single Saturday. My mind just can’t compute that fact.

• demicanadian says:

$600 000? You mean they sold like… 3 ships and one clothing DLC?

• c-Row says:

We have a winner!

• Cinek says:

All 3 ships without a Life Time Insurance, of course, so as soon as they crash into first asteroid after leaving the hangar with no insurance bought – they loose that precious, expensive ship forever….
        ….just so they could put few hundred dollars more on a new one ;).

• TechnicalBen says:

I’ve still no idea how paying real money for virtual goods insurance (virtual insurance virtually insuring virtual goods through virtual agreements in virtual worlds…) even exists.

• Vic502 says:

ROFL!

• Philopoemen says:

Are they new customers though, or is it the pre-existing backers just upping their pledges every time something gets tacked on?

I just wonder how much of the SC momentum is self-propagating.

• Grendael says:

From my observations about 10k people signed up this past week. Assuming $45 min DFM package they seem to to be near 50/50 new/existing

• Grendael says:

Ok so heres the skinny on that.

They released the drake herald for sale at $85. Assuming $600k was entirely due to that that’s only 7000/640,000 backers bought it

This was a small sale compared to other

• K_Sezegedin says:

Read the Sidewinder owner’s manual from Frontier.

Then read the documentation for Arena Commander.

I love Dangerous, – but SC already has more complicated gameplay systems even in its piddly arena shooter mode – whether or not that’s a good thing is a matter of opinion.

4. DavishBliff says:

It’s not actually possible to not sound like a dork saying things like “Roger” and “Tango down” if you’re not a professional voice actor (even then it’s pretty tough) and you’re just playing a goddamn video game.

• spunkmeyer says:

What? But that’s what I say when playing TF2!

• Cinek says:

Join one of the semi-pro clans and you’ll hear stuff like that all the time.

• kael13 says:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of any Brits say such things.

Americans just love being Tacticool.

• Cinek says:

I assure you that it’s nothing unique to the Americans. Though yes – the first time I joined a clan talking like that – it was lead by Americans ;)

• DavishBliff says:

Being in a clan doesn’t make it not dorky though.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Dork is in the eye of the beholder. If they’re having fun, leave them be.

• DavishBliff says:

That’s a perfectly fair point, and I don’t want to come across as a bully.

At least in the case of this video, however, they aren’t just some guys having fun: they’re selling us something. The cringe for me comes from the fact that these are clearly scripted things they’re saying, which is why they awkwardly stumble over the word “gentleman” a couple times and talk over each other with what are ostensibly supposed to be cool one-liners. It seems they each wrote down a few things they wanted to be sure they had a chance to say them. It’s weird and just comes across as really inauthentic.

• Cinek says:

“they’re selling us something.” – actually: They’re not. It was a presentation for people who already bought the game. So in fact: they were just people having fun and trying to convey that fun to all the other people that are going to play it next year.

• Reapy says:

No, they are selling something. The video was not just for backers, we are all watching it too. The script was forced, and the gameplay even more so, trying to add some structure that doesn’t need to be there, and wouldn’t if anybody was serious about playing.

Can’t get mad at them for trying though, if I were doing the same I’d make the same attempt to amp it up and make it seem cooler than it really is.

Also, I love how zero gravity is a killer feature, I’ve been making fun of low gravity FPS server’s for decades. Though I guess I’m getting old now so it’s making its way back to cool again!

• Philopoemen says:

After spending time in the military and LE tactical units, it’s my favourite thing to hear some kid who’s going through puberty cry out words I never have (other than “roger”). Gotta love the enthusiasm lol

• mouton says:

What do you actually say in tactical situations, then? “Got the perp” and “I AM THE LAW”? :P

• Reapy says:

I just got done watching a bunch of shacktac videos (group that plays arma 3) this weekend, and then watching this, I couldn’t help thinking how forced and fake it all sounded. Though it was just as bad watching ‘the division’ as it was too well done there.

Harlander says:

I don’t think too much of their zero-G stuff yet. Looks nice with all the bits and bobs floating about, but it doesn’t look as interesting to play as Shattered Horizon, the clear standout in a crowded field of zero-g FPSs.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

In fairness, that game existed more or less only for that.

• Cinek says:

And why it doesn’t look interesting?
      For me it looks very much. Especially in a squad-based gameplay where you can synchronize everything to have one guy toy with gravity hoping to confuse the enemy team while your own teammates can take superior positions in zero G, then enable gravity back again to pull all of the opponents down on a ground for a free duck hunt. I can see plenty of very interesting and amazingly fun scenarios here.

Harlander says:

Not ‘not interesting’, ‘not as interesting’.

• Cinek says:

Yea, typo, sorry. Should be: “And why it doesn’t look as interesting?”

Harlander says:

I think it’s two things: one being the choice of levels. Flitting around free-floating asteroids felt a bit different and unique compared to the rather conventional facility shown in the SC video.

The other part was movement. The SC video just looks like jumping about in zero-G. You’re wearing special space-fightin’ armour, put some RCS thrusters in it.

• Cinek says:

To address the first point – there will be different maps and you will be able to fly and fight between the asteroids – heck: you already are able to in the Arena Commander after ejecting from your fighter, only they didn’t implement guns there just yet.

As for the second point – you see, that’s why I like Star Citizen. Options. There will be suits with and there will be suits without thrusters. These suits didn’t have thrusters, but you will be able to buy suits with thrusters just fine.

Harlander says:

Granted, but I was making an observation based on what was shown in the video, not the potential it had. I hardly expected the feature set to stay the same as this very early impression!

• Cinek says:

Fair enough. :) For me personally fighting in the interiors, especially places like that hangar bay (???) is genuinely more interesting and potentially fun than floating in a mostly empty space. That said though – sometimes I did have a problem with seeing the opponents they were shooting there, even while watching that video in 1080p (black and cluttered interior with black and cluttered opponents… not really helpful).
            Oh, but all this stuff floating up as soon as they turned off artificial gravity – fuck that. That’s not how gravity works. Stuff doesn’t get pushed up as soon as you turn it off.

Harlander says:

Was the place they were in orbiting something? If the artificial gravity went off, stuff would start floating about as it took up its own minor orbit, I think, and they might also be pushed up by semi-flexible materials they were resting on returning to their uncompressed state.

6. PsychoWedge says:

Well, this all seems to shape up into a product made by people who couldn’t wrestle their ambitions into something achievable.

7. Gap Gen says:

Outsourcing to an established developer seems like the best approach. Hopefully they don’t need to integrate too closely with the other team, otherwise that could be a source of problems.

8. XhomeB says:

Thanks for reminding me why I hate iron sights with a passion. Those GIANT weapon models occupying the entire screen space when trying to bloody aim properly are not my idea of a fun FPS experience.
    Besides, the entire FPS part of the game really does feel like a waste of time and resources. Doesn’t even look that enjoyable to play, either.

• DavishBliff says:

I think it’s going to depend on the impact these fights have on the rest of the universe. Is this just a separate gameplay mode with few ramifications, or do these boarding operations change things like the control of the station, etc.?

What I can’t figure out yet is to what degree Star Citizen is going to be like EVE Online, with a big, free universe where it’s up to players to organize themselves into factions? If there’s an element like that, and these boarding parties are small operations which allow factions to sneakily take one another’s stuff without blowing it up, it could be really amazing. Though I suppose for that sort of persistence to work you’d need a big playerbase at all times to allow for defense (I don’t see a lot of people signing up for guard duty in a space station).

• Cinek says:

“or do these boarding operations change things like the control of the station, etc.?” – yes, they do. That’s the whole purpose of them.
        “to what degree Star Citizen is going to be like EVE Online” – very, very limited. Star Citizen is a completely different game.
        “it’s up to players to organize themselves into factions” – they already organized themselves. But players won’t be able to own a star systems or anything of that sorts. 90% of in-game population will be NPCs. It won
        t be eve all over again with thousands of ants and few super-powerful individuals changing the shape of a game whenever they wish to.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Some things are going to be pretty similar to EVE, especially the importance of space stations control and so on, but not on such an extreme level.

Basically, the idea is to have players matter a lot, but not so much that they can break the game alone.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I don’t want it to be like EVE at all to be honest. That game has basically become a game where a bunch of people group together in order to be dicks to other groups of people. I hope they actively try and prevent that from happening because the last thing this game needs is to be dominated by large groups of those sorts of people.

• bonuswavepilot says:

Could be tricky to have them entirely interwoven…

I can see people getting shitty if halfway through their epic FPS battle somebody just takes out the space station they’re fighting on, although I think that would be the ideal… If you could look out the space station window and see the ships doing their thing outside, or call in ‘air support’ (space support?) from nearby fighters, that would be pretty cool, but hard to set up in a way that maintains a consistent universe.

• P.Funk says:

Yea cause in real life everyone hip fires.

• Grendael says:

Its not real life. It’s hundreds of years in to the future.

I would like to see a targetting hud tbat reflects where you aim.

• mouton says:

In addition to what Grendael said, the problem in games is not iron sights themselves but how they are implemented – as a point-and-click adventure, an easy solution to be 100% precise. References to real life are quite pointless in such titles.

9. Janichsan says:

That “everything but the kitchen sink” approach might either be Star Citizens biggest boon, when everything comes together and creates a seamless varied experience for players craving variety, or its biggest curse, when the different parts just don’t fit naturally and/or are forced down the players’ throats.

• Cinek says:

Truth is that – there always will be some people who think that something is being forced down their throats. Heck – this already happened when first Arena Commander was released and some people realized what “gimballed weapons” means. We had no skill/no fun gimballed weapons forced down their throats.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I think it depends how mandatory it becomes. This game is first and foremost advertised as a space sim. I have no issue with the FPS element being there and actually find the idea quite fun, as long as the game isn’t forcing you into it if you just want to fly spaceships.

10. RegisteredUser says:

I quite honestly think that coming up with a versatile, moddable, open-world, huge lore, huge story, epic battles, epic ships spaceship and trading and politics sim alone would be a monstrous challenge to get right and engaging.
    Adding being good at other genres is…tough to say the least.
    Then again I already couldn’t understand people fawning over generic and repetitive corridor shooting with 4 enemies in Mass Effect and that got rated to heaven and above despite that, so I guess its a matter of packaging, marketing and adding enough stuff that sticks or…something.

I would much prefer a “Descent Freespace 2 thought real big”. Or something of B5 meets BSG meets YOUR MOST SPACE BATTLE-IEST DREAMS crossed with the most user influenceable ships, loadouts etc. And the stuff mentioned initially above.

• SanguineAngel says:

Whilst I am sure that effective marketing and appealing packaging (I presume you mean themes and settings that appeal to people?) come into it, I imagine that the diversity in tastes amongst us all also has a large impact. I rather enjoyed the combat in Mass Effect, for example – I wasn’t just slogging through it but enjoying playing it.

For me, the design concept at play here is especially exciting and the biggest draw for me when it comes to the open world persistent universe. I recall a game called Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter which suffered from, in my opinion, both lacklustre FPS and lacklustre Space Sim mechanics but regardless of that I greatly enjoyed it because I really wanted to play a pilot rather than a ship. If it had been an open world with a deep enough universe, I would probably have sunk much more time into it. So I’m probably less concerned with how ‘good’ the mechanics are really than others undoubtedly are. I’m really excited to be inhabiting the universe in that manner. For me, the largest point of concern is just how alive will the universe feel? Cloud Imperium Games are undoubtedly putting in one hell of a lot of effort on that front. I just hope it pays off.

I don’t think there’s a perfect game design that can appeal to everyone. But I do think this particular design concept appeals to me so I am glad they are making it.

Ninja Dodo says:

Mass Effect’s appeal is almost entirely in the characters. The shooter mechanics are solid and enjoyable in ME2 and 3 particularly but the series would not have its staying power if it was just the corridor shooter parts.

11. Arglebargle says:

I fully expect to see the game of Star Citizen measure up to Wing Commander (the movie). With no one to ride herd on Chris Roberts’ megalomania, this game’s development will doubtless wander far and wide. Good luck making all the parts fit.

For those who worked with Roberts before, “…shows just how much control over every stage of the project Chris Roberts has.” is not a big positive. Already have heard via an old Origin hand that working on the game was no fun, and that the CIG was going through a lot of employees already.

12. drinniol says:

Wow, it’s like everyone ignores the expected release date is end of 2016, with the main modules being added separately building up to the full release. So the actual flight and FPS mechanics have almost 2 years of polish and it is evident that the devs are cracking on with this shit at a rate of knots.

• Nogo says:

I’m still not buying it. CCP tried the same kind of modular expansion thing and we’ve seen how long and difficult that process is with the awkward Dust and Incarna. Having the tech is one thing, making it worth playing is another. Hopefully they don’t run out of money while desperately trying to get this unwieldy mix into a stable, fun state.

That said, they have the perfect funding model for such an ambitiously risky project. We’re all gonna learn a lot from this, so good luck to em.

• derbefrier says:

CCP also made some weird decisions with those (like playstation exclusive wtf?) that i think bit them hard. Star Citizen is being designed this way from the ground up, not as an after thought like with CCP and its part of the base game not a completely different game sold on a different platform like with the first person shooter thing they did. I think its a bit unfair to assume that because one company failed to deliver the next one will.

13. Love Albatross says:

Watching this fail to live up the insane expectations of the deranged fan base that have dropped thousands of dollars on pictures of spaceships is going to be glorious.

• Grendael says:

I couldn’t imagine a more banal existence than craving the misery of others

• libdab says:

I see your ‘banal’ and raise you a ‘purposeless’ …

• Kaeoschassis says:

More or less what I was going to say. Y’know what’s more fun than laughing at fans of something?
        Playing games. Any games.

• Sigh says:

No. Love Albatross is correct. I can play games and revel in the glory of this project’s bloated failure AT THE SAME TIME. The miracles of the modern age and all that.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

The fact that people like you want to “revel in the failure” (a completely unfounded statement at this point) of something just because others are excited shows that you are nothing more than pathetic arseholes who are seeking such ridiculous means of making yourself feel superior (hint: you aren’t, in any way superior), that you have taken to bashing a game that is 2 years away from release.

Even though this is a PC only game showing a hell of a lot of ambition that should be commended, you would rather just be jerks about it because you presumably have nothing to add to a discussion other than pessimism and negativity and take pleasure in others not finding enjoyment in something.

• Grinless says:

Disagreed.

Seeing stupidity reap its rewards is always entertaining.

• Grendael says:

It’s only stupid if you can’t afford it.

A lot of people have the money to spare.
          A lot of people are putting in a little every month liquidating their current ship and getting a better one and so on.
          A lot of people paid around 100 pounds and are happy with that
          a lot of people paid 30 pounds and are happy.

What I am saying is people spend money on luxuries when they can afford it…. if they spend and can’t afford it then I would be inclined to agree with you (that they are stupid)

If I was a millionaire and lost 30k in Vegas I wouldn’t be stupid.
          If I was me (and I am) and lost 30k in Vegas I would be amazingly stupid.

(I am trying to explain this as simply as I can)

The DFM module is already very fun. I would personally be satisfied if it all fell through to have that. (perhaps with a little more gaminess to it similar to war thunder)

By my reckoning they have enough banked, should no-one pledge another penny, to keep them going another year at current levels. which falls short of what they need I think but enough to push out something fairly epic.

• ThornEel says:

Watching this fail to live up the insane expectations of the deranged fan base that have dropped thousands of dollars on pictures of spaceships is not going to be glorious.
      We will wish that all this money would have been used for a better focused game instead. For the backers who will have a mess of a game, for the consumers who would have had another great game to buy instead, for the developers who will have put so much effort in it, for other developers as people will be badly burned and will stop back other projects, who could have been better.

There is no glory there. Only bitter sadness.

• krisk7 says:

Why would you wish how I spend my money? :) I see you as a man of little faith and flimsy character. Star Citizen will be glorious thanks to the support of its backers and people like you will jump on the bandwagon when its ready. Of course you will still be complaining at every opportunity … all this to make your life feel less miserable :)

14. elvis71 says:

Some time i don´t understand all this negativity .. in the end, thats what many want from open world games, dont we ? Whats wrong with being ambitious and having a vision ? At least they have one. Its really time for games to evolve to be more than just a genre .. to be more of a world where you can really do many different things. There are some examples like GTA, merging things together, but this could (!) put this to a new level.

Even if they might in the end not reach that goal entirely, i believe its good that they try and from what i saw, they try very hard and with passion. Chris Roberts might be questionable for some reasons, but he has clearly a strong vision and the absolute will to reach that goal and a level of detail & quality that is crazy. But that is what you need to create something big and (maybe) unique.

Lets see what they will do with that. Nobody is forced to back this idea and can easly wait until the public release is coming. Everybody else, who always dreamed about such an game, is free to back a buck or two.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

He made the mistake of earning too much money. I’m not joking, some people are like that.

• Rizlar says:

Personally I don’t feel negative towards the idea of Star Citizen. I would love to see it succeed, the initial pitch got me really excited. But I do feel ‘negative’ in the way that I cannot see it all coming together satisfactorily.

Everything I have seen so far suggests it will be a series of discrete dogfights or other activities, with the greater MMO world only functioning as a way to matchmake people into controlled fights in controlled spaces (I believe they have said previously that this is how it will work – a pirate will get matched with a trader will get matched with some mercenary security types and they will all get put in a discrete space together).

And there is a lot of marketing flair in the way stuff is presented, but what have we seen so far? Some dogfighting that is a bit shonky (fair enough, it’s at an early stage), some shonky fps shooting (ditto the above caveat). Some really cool spaceships. A room, a corridor and a plaza with a nice backdrop in that city demo.

So all this, plus the fact that various things are being developed by separate studios suggests to me that the game will be a series of discrete experiences joined together by loading screens rather than the seamless, open world universe idea that initially got me excited. I can see a lot of streamlining happening in order to make stuff ‘fun’, it’s not really going to be a niche space simulator that can only run on supercomputers, it’s intended as a mainstream game, right? It might still be really good but I’m finding it hard to get particularly hyped up about it, plus it seems like it may well end up in development hell when the time comes to bring all the pieces together into a fun, playable, functioning whole. I would still love for it to succeed and see what it ends up as though.

• Zenicetus says:

For now I’ve thrown my cards in with Elite:D, but I’m hoping the SC project succeeds as well. We can’t have too many good cockpit-level and non-arcady PC space games, and it won’t hurt to have some competitive pressure on Frontier’s further development of Elite.

I will probably only play the Squadron 42 part of the game (if it turns out well), because I’m from the air combat sim world of “multiplayer when you want it, and solo when you don’t,” which ED is catering to perfectly. I plan to spend time in ED’s open multiplayer side, but I’ll always have other options if that turns out badly. I can’t see myself wanting to participate in a traditional MMO like SC is shaping up to be.

Anyway, that doesn’t mean I want SC to fail. Far from it. I hope it does well. It just doesn’t sound like the game for me.

• Grendael says:

Huge caveat here. I own both games. Played ED for about 40-50 hours so have a good feel for it.

I really enjoy ED and will play it alongside SCPU for (hopefully) years to come.

Compared with SC, elites flight model feels so very arcade-y. I am still having a lot of fun though.

SC on the other hand is exhilarating. I am constantly using afterburner gsafe toggle and comstab toggle as the situation demands dodging dipping ducking diving and dodging. In terms of combat is going to be the better game for combat. Obv that is my opinion. And as i say i am enjoying both right now.

Oh the solo group multiplay in ED is genius. Same galaxh you just choose who you pay with. I don’t see why SC won’t doing the same

15. Gilmir says:

While I’m not really biased in any way about the game itself (I hope it will be good, but not having backed it. won’t mourn if it turns out to be a disaster), I really find the live audio from the presentation disturbing. I mean – what is happening here that would justify all the “whoohoos” and cheers from the audience? A generic spaceship flyby?
    Is it like this at every presentation at game events, or just when Star Citizen shows some mediocre gameplay video?
    It reminds me of the reactions at Apple events to every new detail that the cult priest reveals and the cultists cheer for…
    Oh well, maybe I’m simply too old to get it.

• Cinek says:

“Is it like this at every presentation at game events,” – every, no, but certainly most of them. Or at least: most I’ve been to.
      “It reminds me of the reactions at Apple events to every new detail that the cult priest reveals and the cultists cheer for” – FYI: People on these Apple presentations were journalists, not some random Apple fans.

Ninja Dodo says:

A lot of people are really invested in this game, financially and emotionally. The “woohoo” for the flyby I think is because that’s the (fan-made) ship that won the “Next Great Starship” community competition and people recognized it now fully integrated in-game.

I backed it but don’t really participate in the community, though I do follow the development news as I find the process interesting (more out of professional curiosity than as a player I guess) and I’m mostly waiting to actually play until it’s a bit further along, but I am very curious to see where this goes.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Most of the reactions can be only understood if you’re really following the project extremely closely, the rest is just a matter of showing the right detail to the right people.

Most “square minded” individuals are still shocked about the price of some ships and the pledge amounts, the idea is so impossible to them that they have no other choice but to start believing he’s just a good cult leader with his sheeps, and the iPhone presentation parallel you used tells me just that.

The thing is actually really simple, he catered to the highest spending enthusiasts that waited around 141 years, 4 months and 2 weeks for a complete experience of freedom, attention to detail and zero compromises on hardware requirements. Backing a game with 500 bucks is nothing for some people. You need to be able to understand this concept before you can actually gauge what’s going on with the whole project.

You really have anyone covered anyway, because ships can be purchased in game and for 30 bucks you could have all the pledger benefits and a full game. I also backed elite for 100 pounds or can’t-remember-the-price, but the funniest were those who backed 200 pounds and the proceeded to throw rotten apples at SC for being too costly.

This game has all this attention and money also thanks to a clever business plan, as opposed to many other kickstarts with an ancient mindset and the inability to cater to those who can spend.

• SanguineAngel says:

The generic spaceship flyby got a big reaction because it was actually a ship that had been the product of a public competition for teams to create a spaceship to go in the game. It was a whole big thing.

16. tomimt says:

I’m starting to get more and more impressed about SC. It’ll be interesting to see if they really manage to pull this all off. At least for now it does look like a valiant effort.

17. JohnnyPanzer says:

I’m very much looking forward to it. A lot of people here seem certain that the large scope is a mistake, but for players like me it’s a dream come true. Even if they don’t nail every aspect, the game will be great as long as there are ENOUGH aspects to not nail.

If I have to choose between a game with an insane ammount of somewhat decent components, or a game with a single hyperpolished feature, I’ll pick the game with the width every time. Give me the ability to fly ships, run around, shoot at stuff, visit planets, browse stores on a space station, build things, trade with others, explore a galaxy and work as part of a crew in a capital ship and I’ll be your loyal customer to the end of days, even if no single feature rises above mediocre.

As always, it a matter of taste. But the widely spread assumption that Roberts made a huge mistake thinking there’s a player base for a game that is just all over the place is, quite frankly, a bit rude.

18. SuicideKing says:

Well, FreeSpace 2 with some boarding action has been on my “someone make this please” list for quite a while.

Damn, when Limit Theory, Elite and Star Citizen come out, I think I’ll just be playing space games for a very long time.

19. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Would firing a gun, especially an automatic weapon firing many bullets, in zero gravity not send you flying backwards the other way? I don’t have my handy backofanenvelope nearby (that is to say I can’t be arsed to work it out) but my gut feeling would be that gunfights in zero gravity would involve people flying all over the place. Which, frankly, would be pretty cool as a mechanic, having to use your gun to both shoot the baddies and manoeuvre yourself. Has it been done anywhere?

Also, being in zero gravity on a large manoeuvring spaceship could be a laugh too, like that bit in inception.

Can’t really comment too much upon these videos specifically apart from “yep, that’s a game that’s still in development”.

20. derbefrier says:

The new patch is literaly game changing. Its so much fun to play now. Better joystick support, new targeting system, maps doubled in size….Arena Commander is a freakin blast now. Finally played some co-op vanduul swarm and had the best time in this game since AC released.

The fps module while looking very rough looked good to me. I wasn’t a big fan that it seemed to take full clips to kill people but I will assume itspre alpha and balence isn’t something that’s been looked at to closely yet.

Oh did I mention how freakin awesome the new patch is?

• Hanban says:

Better try it out then! Last time I played the joystick controls were atrocious.

• Cinek says:

Play with 2 joysticks or the lazy version: joystick and a mouse. It’s a game where flying and aiming are two separate things, so playing with one joystick will always be inferior. You need two analoge input devices for best results.

• derbefrier says:

I dunno I find with the new system the disparity between control methods is a lot better now. I use a X52 Pro and pedals and was doing fine in battle Royal. Being able to hit targets reliably makes the mouse aim for the gimbals not as hard to swallow.

• Grendael says:

This is truth. Really feeling it now.

• FriendlyFire says:

Did they ever change the limitation of only being able to play with the ships you paid for?

• derbefrier says:

nope Pay to Test is their funding model and has proven to be wildly successful. Its not going anywhere.

• Tutamun says:

They recently allowed everyone to fly all flyable ships for a week. And they will repeat this to test certain ships… (so there is still the incentive to throw more money at the screen… especially if you liked what you tested…)
        link to robertsspaceindustries.com

21. fish99 says:

Waiting for the hamster racing module before I jump in…

particlese says:

I watched the third video without audio, so my eyes were rolling about “homas” until I realized I could call it “hummus”. That stuff is frickin’ delicious.

23. buzzmong says:

Whether SC is a success or a failure doesn’t actually matter that much. A worse fate would be if it only becomes a fart in the wind.

The project has a massive scope and is doing something potentially pretty different, for that alone it does deserve praise.

The entire thing is interesting in many aspects; it’s the only games project that’s brought in a bigger amount of money that some AAA games get, and it’s done it entirely though crowdfunding. It’s being done without a publisher and all the stuff like shareholders, ROI and profitability that come with that backing. It’s going to be interesting no matter what happens.

24. jinglin_geordie says:

I sense the hand of Derek Smart in this.