Together Alone In The Dark

Whoever’s currently wearing the withered Atari skinsuit plans to release a new Alone In The Dark game before year’s end, and whether the fact they’re only putting out the first trailer now is a sign of confidence or otherwise is for looser tongues than mine to speculate about. I’m too preoccupied with the distinct absence of alone time in Alone In the Dark: Illumination, given it’s a four player co-op monster shooter. I guess Together In The Dark sounded too spicy? I’d have gone for Foursome In The Dark myself.

Other naming crimes include that Illumination is being developed by a studio named Pure FPS. I can clearly see the player characters’ shoulders, so that’s a damned dirty lie.

Here you go: Vincent Price-alike, flashlights, demons, ratatatatatatatat and all that jazz. Trying to read between the lines of the fast cuts here, I’m anticipating a pretty straightforward third-person corridor stomper that’s far more about the bang-bang-bang than puzzle-solving. Some may feel this is a betrayal, but I’m very much with Alice in thinking the AITD series has never quite earned the clout its name carries.

Apparently all four playable characters are descendants of original Alone In The Dark heroes. Given that every Alone In The Dark bar a Christmas minigame starred the same bloke, Edward Carnby, either he’s been retconned as particularly frisky or Atari have been exploring the supporting cast. You know, all those guys we love so well – Johnny Demonbotherer, Annie IDontLikeGhosts and Ian Insidious.

You can pre-order Alone In The Dark: Illumination if something about the above ninety seconds of sibilant muttering and machine guns has floated your boat, but I’m going to go ahead and say ‘wait for the reviews, eh?’ Its release date is listed as ‘Fall 2014’, which surely means it’ll arrive within the month.

1. Llewyn says:

Can’t help wondering if anyone involved in commissioning, developing or approving this has ever even seen, let alone played, the original AITD.

2. Jamesworkshop says:

I addressed this long ago on my FB page that horror needed more flame throwers

it’s not dark, flame is light and heat

3. AsubstanceD says:

OMG. Watching that makes me think that it isn’t confidence that has stopped them showing it off up until now.

4. Infinitron says:

Obvious shovelware is shovelware. Hey Atari, sell the Master of Magic and Legend Entertainment adventure game rights to somebody already.

5. lowprices says:

Maybe it’s just an incredibly meta game, and the horror comes from seeing what Atari has become these days?

That’s it. That’s the only optimism I can manage.

6. iainl says:

From the people that brought you Rekoil. Oh.

7. DrollRemark says:

If the undead/demonspawn of hell itself are so easily felled by guns, how does the army always seem to struggle with taking them out?

8. Xelias says:

Alone in the dark : Illumination : a coop TPS game made by True FPS

This game is GOLD, here are some names for the next game :
    Together in the light : the Darkening
    Alone in the Dark : Sunrise romance

Oakreef says:

I actually liked Alone in the Dark 2008 (or as I also like to call it, the Sonic 06 of survival horror) and I’m rather disappointed they haven’t tried to refine on the cool and relatively original (though quite broken) systems of that game into something that actually works well are instead jumping on the L4D, Payday, Evolve, CoD Zombies, etc bandwagon.

10. JimmyG says:

This announcement actually makes me kinda sad. Atari’s like this kid I knew in school who was super-popular when we were, like, 10 years old — but he lost it fast when cool kept changing definitions. He kept showing up in last year’s clothes, retelling the jokes everyone’d gotten sick of, but you couldn’t hate him. Even if he wasn’t being genuine, he was genuinely trying.

11. Anthile says:

The ideal name would have obviously been Alone In The Dark: Souls. What a missed opportunity.