Shark! The Hunted Divers Scream: Depth Out Now

Guys! Wait up guys! Where are we going tonight, huh? Guys?

By now, you’re probably mature and wise enough to know that Jaws was just a movie, and that sharks don’t really behave like that. You probably do feel safe going back in the water. Sharks don’t toy with prey or trick it, you now know, you clever thing. Ah. You might have missed research and observations over the past few decades that no, some sharks are actually dreadful sneaky things. Some herd prey, some distract targets so others can strike, and some simply swarm.

Bear in mind while playing Depth, which launched yesterday, that the sharks vs. divers multiplayer murderfest might be a glimpse of what will happen if you enter any water deeper than a puddle.

Depth’s a highly asymmetric affair, pitting four heavily-armed human divers against two 20-foot great white sharks. The divers are trying to swipe sunken treasure while the sharks, well, they are looking for a meal, but they’re also trying to defend the treasure. Sharks are very keen on goblets and crowns, research has also shown. Divers buy fancier guns and gadgets over the course of rounds, while sharks can ‘evolve’ new abilities – sadly no second mouths or opposable thumbs.

Depth is £17.09 on Steam for the next week, thanks to a 10% launch discount. User reviews are looking pretty good so far, but note it only has five maps. Keeping players interested is always a real concern for multiplayer games. It does have bots, though. Developers Digital Confectioners do plan to add mod and Steamwork Workshop support too.

1. Volcanu says:

More people per year are killed by pigs, or by coconuts falling on their heads, than are killed by sharks.

Idea for a game: Coconuts vs humans multiplayer muderfest. To the kickstarter-copter!

• Philopoemen says:

Depends where you live – we have many many more shark attacks than pig or coconut attacks.

Or bear attacks for that matter…

I’m still wearing my shark shield when I dive though.

• Caiman says:

Statistics don’t back you up. To date in 2014 there have been 6 fatal shark attacks worldwide (documented). In the US alone there are on average 22 fatalities caused by cattle per year, and potentially “hundreds” worldwide (difficult to measure precisely). Death by falling coconuts are roughly 150 people a year. Of course if you live in an area where there are no cows or coconuts (or pigs for that matter) then perhaps you’re at greater risk of shark attack, but it’s still a vanishingly small risk. (source; link to wemjournal.org) No harm in wearing your shark shield though.

• Twisted says:

My statistics differ from yours, by a factor of “I think your worldwide is landlocked”.
          link to en.wikipedia.org

• Noxman says:

I’m confused, that lists every single fatal shark attack that has happened in (around) Australia ever, or at least documented. Looking through the list I would conclude that you should never ever think about shark attacks as if people stay out of obvious known areas, which it seems they do, then the risk is so minuscule that you should be thinking about your cholesterol and current maintenance levels of your car, sharks simply do not factor in as a risk you can consider.

I think some people, like myself, are just starting to become upset at the consistent demonisation of sharks we consider beautiful and interesting.

• goon buggy says:

Well if you put the population in water, with just a small percentage on land your less likely to be killed by pigs and coconuts, and more by shark bitey death id imagine.

On a side note i was on a 15m cray boat watching the dolphins swim past, they scattered. Then this leviathan from the deep arrived. Almost half the size of the boat, i felt like a very small worm on a big hook, yes im from australia

2. Surlywombat says:

I love aswimetrical game play. Can’t wait to dive in.

• Jamesworkshop says:

That was Fintastic

• Krazen says:

It does like pretty jawsome but I can seal the novelty wearing off fast. The game doesn’t have much scale.

• StuffedCabbage says:

I might pick this up tooth!

Ninja Dodo says:

This pun thread is a little bite-sized. I expected moor from you guys.

Personally I cannot fathom there haven’t been more games where you get to play as an aquatic creature. The subject seems reef with opportunities.

3. Jamesworkshop says:

The first Half of the game is a tutorial level about the conflict between the locals and visting holiday guests

4. JimmyG says:

I thought for a minute it was that gasmask game, Deep Sea, and then I remembered that the gasmask game had no visuals.

This sounds neat, though. Rather than the Counterstrike gamemode I’d like to see something like Left 4 Dead — divers trying to get from A to B, short on oxygen, and sharks planning ambushes and picking off stragglers. I’ll wait for the Ultimate Edition, though, cuz I don’t want to pay too much for the LL Cool J skin.

5. klops says:

For a person who feels huge discomfort even when swimming and diving in Far Cry 3 this is pure horror. Can’t imagine scarier stuff than this.

• Jambe says:

I am likewise terrified of being immersed, especially in an ocean in which big fishes live. Just the cover image of the youtube video bothers me.

Vexingly, I also find sharks fascinating. Watching documentaries I’m often like OH GOD OH NO how cool is that OH NO OH SHIT NO.

For ultimate freaky frisson: link to instagram.com

(she has other neat photos, too)

Anyway, I don’t think I’ll be playing this game. Yikes.

• JimmyG says:

I saw a PBS documentary once about a great white shark that washed up dead on a beach, and all these scientists rushed to dissect it then and there — so it was about 45 minutes of taking the shark apart to the soundtrack of an informative narration. I’m pretty squeamish, but it was just fascinating.

• SooSiaal says:

I was constantly terrified of water playing half life 1, when I saw that big freaking monster swim at me at the starting part I knew it would be in all the waters,lurking…

• itsbenderingtime says:

When I played Half-Life, I had to turn on god mode whenever I needed to enter the water. I think the thing you’re talking about is at the beginning of Half-Life 2. The thing is, that’s the only place the monster appears. I spent the entirety of Half-Life 2 being scared of that thing and it never showed up.

• SooSiaal says:

Yeah I might have gotten things mixed up there, but either way water scares the crap out of me ever since Sonic and the dramatic almost going to drown music

• Belsameth says:

Thank god! I thought I was the only one!
      Stupidly, I bought an Oculus and World of Diving. Now there’s a fuckin horror game right there. Screw Alien Isolation!

6. Sleepymatt says:

If the sharks can’t evolve frikkin’ lasers on their frikkin’ heads, then no sale. Throw me a bone here!

• Perkelnik says:

Well we have sea bass… mutated… and they are very ill-tempered!

7. lumpeh says:

Anyone sampled the quality of the bots? Do they play as sharks/divers?

• DarkLiberator says:

I played with a group of buddies and set the bots as sharks. Needless to say, we got wrecked on medium and hard. The sharks move so damn quickly in attack mode. We lost and won some. Sea mines were helping out in some ways but other times the shark would purposely swim through a mine really quickly setting it off and blowing some of us up nearby who were near the mine.

8. Arren says:

♬…Gory, too, their ends shall be ♪

9. racccoon says:

Looks & plays extremely CRAPPO!
    Sharks are off the planet its just another silly game seeking the plentiful of mugs who spend dollars on anything these days.
    I think we need to see people go down town & throw real cash money out the window of their cars & pockets, the data transfer of money has no meaning at all to you all!
    Its why you just hit buy button all the time!!.
    What’s the point of it, get out the cash & see what its like to have & hold, try spending the real money & you’ll stop with the blind extractions of your hard earned funds! Your falling for this data transaction hook line & sinker, in turns, your making us humans look like complete idiotic morons.
    I do believe data transfer is turning us all into APES & CHIMPS! with brains the size of peas, we are going backwards!
    Seek out the real cash first and appreciate its value & feel, if you don’t stop this we will become worthless & pointless in our existence.
    Wake up humans your becoming the victims of game cons! your not seeing what it is your buying, & are now unable to get any returns either, your just left holding accounts with lots of minus numbers being of no value, how silly is this wasteful text. I want to see the cash & see just what you’d do!
    good luck with it all. mugs are bountiful.

10. KFee says:

would love to give it a shot but I’m afraid that I might be too scared :-/