Mighty Stumbling Mecha Co-op: Override

Robo-a-gogo

How do those mighty morphin’ Power Rangers control their giant robot all together? Surely giving people control over one limb of a giant heavily-armed mecha will only end poorly for everyone and everything around them? Don’t think of Override as a game on Kickstarter, as Kickstarter fatigue can spoil even the most fun idea – think of it as very real research into the future of Earth’s defense against hostile robocrabs.

Override, see, is a city-saving mecha game with support for local co-op where up to four players control individual limbs of the honking great robotsuit.

Oh sure, developers The Balance Inc say you can play in single-player too, but why choose the easiest path in a physics-driven destruct-o game? No, give me flailing, give me falling, give me mayhem, give me destruction, give me citizens who are so angry with their self-appointed protector crushing their city that they chase me and my big lousy mecha out.

As well as obviously giant enemy robot fights, the sandbox world will have more civil-minded missions like rescuing whales and clearing traffic. Are these heroic duties or community service?

Override is on Steam Greenlight and, yes, on Kickstarter. The Balance are seeking $98,000 (£61k) to finish up, hoping to launch Override in October 2015.

1. Optimaximal says:

Looks like a heck of a lot of fun for 5 minutes then frustration…

What they really need to do is make this into a proper single-player game as a homage to Shogo and tag this co-op on as a fun kooky add-on.

• Voxel_Music_Man says:

Yes! Someone else who appreciates the greatness of Shogo!

• SomeDuder says:

Single-player? In the year of our Lord 2014? No way! Gotta have gimmicky bullshit, at least 2 players, F2P, DLC, persistent connection, social media intergration and at least 5 different editions, all somehow related to mountain dew and doritos.

Because games are works of art, you see ( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Phasma Felis says:

Yes, what they really need to do is throw away all the work they’ve done and make a completely different game instead. That sounds like a good use of Kickstarter money. :-/

This looks like it has the potential to be a grandly hilarious party game, like a co-op Octodad or a more goal-oriented Goat Simulator.

2. Crimsoneer says:

Nowhere near enough falling over in that video.

• Cinek says:

I guess they implemented a version where Mechs can fall down like it’d in a real world, and then gave up on that after being unable to move further than half a step forward.

• jonahcutter says:

Yes, those are some rather forgiving… uhm… “physics”.

Phasma Felis says:

So it’s got really good gyros.

3. staberas says:

sound like the derpy version (and less functional version) of Aquarion evol

4. Jackablade says:

The Power-Rangers had it easy. Car Voltron had 15 different body parts to try and synchronise.

5. squirrel says:

Learning Curve will be deep as hell, but seems to be very rewarding.

Sometimes you will have to appreciate PC games with deep learning curve.

6. DrScuttles says:

Who wants to be the legs? You’re a budding new Power Ranger or mech limb pilot or whatever this occupation is and the chap above you, he’s got a freaking laser sword to go smashy smashy with. And that lady in the other arm? Heat rod. A goddam heat rod. And you’re there maintaining some centre of balance bullshit.

7. kav2k says:

Alternative name, EPIQWOP

8. Cinek says:

This looks like a… horrible idea for a game.
    BTW: looking forward to a 3-legged mechs. “Who do you play as?” “Middle leg.”

• Tssha says:

“My god, you’re a tripod!”

• FlopsyTheBloodGod says:

Is that a euphemism?
      “And I shall be the John Thomas!”
      Hot mechacoffee minigame?

9. Spacewalk says:

Those moves the robot is pulling, I coulda sworn I saw some of ’em in the Intergalactic video.

10. Blackcompany says:

Why cant we just have a good, single player game with giant mechs. Maybe even a (normal) co-op game with giant mechs. Sure. Why does every game with mechs have to be cooky or weird or a multi player death match?

Why is it so hard to understand that we just want one quality mech game without the need for other people?

• FlopsyTheBloodGod says:

Indeed.
      Yet another game that seems to exist solely to make me wish for more Mechwarrior games.
      Mmm, mechs.
      Although I might go for this if I could play against the robot as a giant lizard. Actually, stuff the mechs. I wanna be Godzilla.
      And in the game.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Was just chatting about this the other day actually.
      I’d settle for an Armoured Core game on pc, if the port was up to scratch. But yes, what I really want, what we all really want, what we secretly dream about on the coldest, loneliest nights, is a new Mechwarrior.

• Nintyuk says:

A new SINGLE PLAYER Mechwarrior, MWO doesn’t count.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Beg your pardon, yes, a single-player Mechwarrior. I haven’t actually played MWO, it might be fantastic, but I’d much rather be able to play with giant robots by myself, thanks.

11. Monggerel says:

Well I always preferred Mechwarrior.

“Remember people; we’re here for the payday, not the politics.”

12. Oozo says:

I actually could see this being fun, if the assembled version would not be the central focus of the game.

Go full on Power Rangers, have every player control a robot beast in the part of the city, trying to hold back the enemies — until eventually, the super villain shows up, and you HAVE to assemble your parts into a whole, giant robo-one. Of course, the rest of the game should be fun, too, and the metabot could serve as some sort of giant, anticlimatic and very slapsticky climax to each mission.

13. tikey says:

Whomever played Octodad cooperatively will know that this is a brilliant and incredibly fun idea.

14. neumunki says:

Has anybody mentioned Robotic Alchemic Drive because if not, I can’t believe nobody has mentioned it! This looks like a multiplayer version of that game which is great, but really I just want another R.A.D. game. Maybe mashed up with EDF since they are by the same developer.

• jonahcutter says:

That looks really cool. There seems to be a feel for actual weight and physics. The robots don’t just move like normal size, highly agile humans with a giant robot skin. They’re actually awkward and ponderous.

• KDR_11k says:

Sandlot also made Chou Soujuu Mecha MG (Japan-only, DS) which has similarly clunky robots but while basic movement was handled with normal d-pad inputs it had all the weapon systems controlled by touchscreen interfaces, some more straight-forward (fire button, sword controller, …), some less (a steam mech that requires shoveling coal into the burner and turning valves to power its systems, a gunslinger that has you load the individual shells into the revolver drum, a nuke launcher that requires punching in a security code before it reveals the big red button, …). Oh and it allowed grabbing and throwing buildings if your mech has usable arms (or can transform into a crane or bulldozer).

• Flank Sinatra says:

R.A.D. was one of my favorite PS2 games and maybe the best giant robot game ever made. Remote controlling the robot from the perspective a tiny person on the ground made the robots feel like real giants instead of what most giant Mech games feel like: a normal size robot stomping through a tiny little city.
      It belongs on one of those “best games no one ever played” lists.

• neumunki says:

Totally! I loooved R.A.D. so much (except for those unskippable horrible cutscenes.) Chou Soujuu Mecha for the DS was also pretty great! I loved that every mecha was built around a singular gameplay idea. It would be hilarious to have a game like that with team based multiplayer. I hope this Override will have a reason for singular players to step outside of the robot to like.. pull a lever or something, leaving the rest of the pilots to contend with a robot that has nobody controlling its arms/legs/etc. Plus getting to play from a human standpoint gives you an appreciation of the sense of scale, which I loved in RAD!

15. WiggumEsquilax says:

Already been done IRL.

particlese says:

O_O
      That…I must… Please excuse me for a bit while I figure out how to craft a baby.

particlese says:

This is really bizarre to see in action…
    I had a very similar idea a while ago, but I couldn’t figure out how I’d make it work, even if I somehow actually sat down long enough to write some code for it. Local coop didn’t even occur to me, which solves all the troll-resistance problems which flooded my mind. Inept thumbing is still a problem, but it looks like someone declared, “Halo 1 vehicles. Wait no, Weebles!” which should allow people to fail in less frustrating (though possibly less amusing) ways. Now that I’ve seen it, I’m not entirely sure I’d want to play it, but that Octodad comment above gives me pause.