Robotic Sandbox Build-o-survival: Scrap Mechanic

Hoggin'.

I shall, somewhere in the next two or three lines, write the words “multiplayer survival sandbox with building and crafting” and I don’t want you to see those then skim the rest. Pay attention, okay? Scrap Mechanic will be a multiplayer survival sandbox with building and crafting but wait wait wait you can build vehicles and machines like rocketcars and buggies with impractical numbers of wheels and suspended monorails and VTOL flying machines and walkers and devices that seem to flail wildly with no real purpose until they destroy themselves. See, that was worth sticking around for, wasn’t it? With a little more patience, you can see all those in a trailer too.

You (yes, you!) have crash-landed on an automated agricultural planet whose robots have forgotten they’re supposed to harvest crops and not human skin, muscle, bones, teeth, marrow, hair, eyes, and humours. I assume that’s why they’re trying to get ahold of you, anyway. So off you go, scavenging for parts to build shelters and all manner of machines that go go up tiddly up up and down tiddly down down. I do particularly enjoy how some of the vehicles unfold as they power up.

Multiplayer survival is the big goal, with bots and players all baying for your teeth, marrow, hair, eyes etc., but Scrap Mechanic at this stage of development is only a single-player ‘creative mode’ sandbox. Developers Axolotl Games are looking at going the early access route, and are having a crack at Steam Greenlight too.

Axolotl say they started on this after making a Xbox 360 test port of Minecraft. I am glad they decided to do more than change the name. Or add zombies.

1. LionsPhil says:

I think we’re just a wee bit oversaturated with creative mode cube sandboxes, even vehicular ones, where gameplay is pending for some non-specific later point.

The question becomes: why build the inevitable penismobile in this, when you could do it in Robocraft, then slap some lasers on it and go joust with other people’s genitally-inspired craft?

• Armitage says:

I love RoboCraft, but the grindy arena nature of it is so dated and boring. Open world survival opens up much more diverse situations and provides a possibility for dramatic narratives and emergent gameplay. It is not for everyone, but this is totes my thing!

2. LionsPhil says:

I think we’re just a wee bit oversaturated with creative mode sandboxes, even vehicular ones, where gameplay is pending for some non-specific later point.

The question becomes: why build the inevitable phallusmobile in this, when you could do it in Robocraft, then slap some lasers on it and go joust with other people’s genitally-inspired craft?

3. Kollega says:

Okay, this? This is cool. Very cool, in fact. The art style isn’t exactly what I am looking for, but close enough, and vehicles to carry yourself across the infinite procedurally-generated world is, in my opinion, exactly what Minecraft was missing. (And yeah, I know there are mods for that, but I’m pretty sure that Minecraft just doesn’t support vehicles very well.) So yeah, I’ll see how it develops, and maybe even buy the early access version. At the very least, my interest has been piqued, and perhaps this game is indeed the jackpot I was looking for.

And oh, the premise of building and exploring and surviving on an automated agricultural planet? That’s some cool stuff right there. Reminds me of short stories from the Golden Age of sci-fi for some reason.

• Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

I do love that idea. Id never even though of a fully automated planet before, but it does make a certain amount of sense, and is a great setting for a game.
      I love when i see people come up with that sort of thing.

4. manio22 says:

For me , is exactly the type of graphics i am looking for. And yes the idea of traveling around using your custom made vehicle seems promising. Take a pinch of your average explo-buildo-crafto-survivo-something and add a pinch of Robocraft and you are done. But man , I have lost count of how many explo-smth-smth are around and are about to go live. Can we have a smth-smth week similar to survival week were all those games and game modes are displayed naked in public view?

Also whatever you are paying Alice triple it. She is doing more than 70% of work in RPS as of lately .

• Artist says:

Alice, who the f… is Alice?

• Pliqu3011 says:

This might come as a shock to you, but there are actually, like, people who write the words you’re reading on this website.
        I know, I didn’t believe it at first either.

• Monggerel says:

The tall one with the excellent hair.
        (no not Nathan)

5. Shar_ds says:

Proper Job!

6. tumbleworld says:

Good find! Looks like a lot of fun.

7. Kestrel says:

Is there a way I don’t have to play as Louie Anderson?

8. Martel says:

This looks like a lot of fun, sort of what I’ve wanted from a Lego game.

9. Rodney Dee says:

Really interesting! But I strongly hope this will not be multiplayer only… I want to be left alone when playing. So please let it be optional, like in *cough* Minecraft.

10. KDR_11k says:

Cars in Minecraft don’t work well because driving on cubes is kinda awkward. Soooo, anyway, another game like Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts (and to think of how the console people were screaming when N&B wasn’t another collectathon platformer). I think with these things it’s the polish and cohesive design that matter the most, there are a lot of indies now building games like this but most of them lack coherence (like mechanics not fitting together and stuff) and don’t feel good to play. A shiny look is obviously going to grab attention, we’ll have to see if it can deliver on the feel and content too.

11. oldkc says:

This is the modern day ‘Nuts and Bolts’ remake I have been waiting for

12. BathroomCitizen says:

When I looked at the main screenshot, “Cargo! The Quest For Gravity” instantly sprang back to mind.

Oh boy, what a joyful atmosphere that game had.