Sky Battles Has Arcade Dogfights With Titanic Monsters

When a writer says that a game is “X + Y”, that’s them taking a lazy shortcut towards capturing your interest. But also, Sky Battles is Crimson Skies + Shadow of the Colossus, and that does capture your interest. There’s too few arcade flight combat games in the world, and there’s certainly not enough which feature titanic beasts amid the dogfighters. The game’s just been Greenlit, so have a gander at the trailer below.

I wonder if it would have been Greenlit faster if the trailer wasn’t 360p with what appears to be stock dramatic music. It looks better in the other videos on the page, which were made by a couple of YouTubers.

The game has both singleplayer and multiplayer modes: in the former, your missions are to collect gems and destroy certain enemies in order to advance through the levels; in the latter, you’re pit directly against other pilots, which seems like where the real game lies. The arcadeyness of it means that it pays little attention to actual physics, and you’re able to do things like lay air mines.

There’s something distinctly PlayStation 1/N64-ish about the artwork in the game, which is probably in part due to the one-man team, in part because it’s also being made for mobile, and in part because doing silly stuff like this:

Which seems a fair reason to give lower graphical fidelity. If you’re so inclined, there’s a demo build of the game available to download from IndieDB.

1. DrollRemark says:

Looks very Starfox-y (which is a good thing). Hope the PC version isn’t stuck with that draw distance though.

• Cinek says:

..and the low-poly models. And the low-res textures. And the horribly low quality particle effects. And… well… you get the picture. Another of these games that look “old” in a wrong way, ugly way.

• DrollRemark says:

The low-poly models I can understand if it’s one person making the whole thing, and trying to keep costs down. The detail looks perfectly serviceable to me, actually.

But the low draw distance is just a setting – the creator has still made the rest of the world you can’t see, it’s just that you, err, can’t see it. Hence I don’t see a reason not to set it higher on PC.

2. drewdupe says:

Crimson Skies :( I miss you so much.

3. RARARA says:

I’m assuming they kept the same assets and settings as the mobile versions. So we are getting the mobile versions’ draw distance.

4. Static says:

Crimson skies is that you?! Oh how I’ve missed you, and your epic biplane battles against huge mecha tanks and barrel rolls through canyons. You look…. different. Oh well no matter, when can we get together and play?!

5. TechSmurfy says:

Yeah, Kevin MacLeod is the master of free stock music. Have lost count how many flash games use his work.

6. Rob Maguire says:

You almost had me at Crimson Skies + Shadow of the Colossus, so laziness nearly paid off this time. But then I watched the trailer, and really? Timed boss battles? That’s right up there with escort missions on the list of infuriating design decisions.

If developers want to add pressure to a boss fight, by all means they should do so. But they should do it by having the danger escalate the longer you stay in the fight, not by having your character arbitrarily die five minutes in.

7. madpoet says:

Thanks for the feedback. The trailer is older and based on a mobile build but
    I’ve since changed my focus to PC so you can expect visual improvements
    and a new trailer coming soon.

Cheers!