Convoy Is Truckin’ Its FTL-Style Tactics Across Kickstarter

The obvious comparison to make regarding Convoy happens right at the start of its Kickstarter pitch video: it’s FTL crossed with Mad Max, taking the campaign map and random encounters of the former and combining it with the truckin’, ramshackle, desert civilization of the latter.

My interest in it lies elsewhere: it reminds me of a science-fiction, open world version of Qvadriga, the chariot-racing game both Adam and Tim Stone couldn’t hold their horses over earlier this year.

While Convoy might trade chariots for MCVs and lashing whips for hot lasers, it’s got the same turn-based, vehicular combat and moving battlefield that makes the Roman racer such a thrill to play. There’s talk in the Kickstarter video above of allowing for similar sorts of maneuvers also, like ramming your opponents in between weapon fire.

That’s one of the reason they’re looking for Kickstarter funds to continue the project. The page lists numerous wished for features, including roadside hazards during combat, greater interaction with the world map, the aforementioned ramming and melee abilities, plus generally more content across the board. They’re currently almost halfway towards the €10,000 goal which would make these a reality, after independently working on the game for the past year.

If you think the world needs another hero, €12/$15 will net you a Steam key on release, while €30 will get you immediate alpha access as soon as the Kickstarter is finished.

You’d be amazed how often this job offers me opportunity to embed the below, so let’s embrace that and do it again:

1. rustybroomhandle says:

We got a long time to go, and a short way to get there. We gonna done what they say can’t be do.

Harlander says:

Looks like a PC version of Car Wars.

Excellent.

3. theapeofnaples says:

well this looks potentially great… the map screen looks super dreary though

• Guvornator says:

I too like the looks of this. I’m hoping you’ll be able to force cars of bridges, and the roadside hazards include barns filled with chickens for that authentic 70s movie road chase feel.

4. klops says:

This is the game I meant to do, except I don’t know how to and it was supposed to be more like leftfordeadish cooperation with a driving mechanic and aesthetics from Slicks ‘n Slide. How come suddenly there’s all these games (2) with Madmaxian convoy setting in Kickstarer?

Harlander says:

The concept of being stuck in a post-apocalyptic dystopia where you have to fight for your life on the roads got a particular boost in the collective unconsciousness for some reason?

• klops says:

If that is sarcasm then I haven’t seen any post-apocalyptic car concentrated games ever before that had that convoy setting. Now there are at least two.

If that isn’t sarcasm then that’s the thing what I’ve been wondering. Success of FTL and Banner Saga and the cool and hip theme, perhaps?

• mr.black says:

Mad Max is getting a reboot/sequel/Idon’tevenwannaknow; post-ap. is ever more present in the mainstream (hunger games, the road…) and indie surviv-a-trips, as you said were good and popular games. I’d say combination of these…

5. P4p3Rc1iP says:

Dev here. Thanks so much for the article!

One thing; combat is real time with a pause-and-order mechanic. So not turn-based like Qvadriga! :)

• wodin says:

Hmm..shame it isn’t WEGO mechanic. Much prefer simultaneous turns rather than real time or UGOIGO turns.

Still will back it as anything remotely Car Wars like sparks my interest.

6. Turkey says:

Everything about the UI reminds me of music making software. It looks pretty cool, though.

7. Colonel J says:

It’s a high bar but I really hope this approaches the quality & fine tuned challenge that FTL gave us, it’s a great concept. Kickass music too please. €10k target seems so low to expect that, then I remembered FTL pitched for just $10k and got $200k.

• Guvornator says:

Here’s their OST preview link to soundcloud.com

I like the mysterious, ambienty tunes – evoke the atmosphere totally. Some of the faster tunes seem a bit off theme and clubby, though – perhaps my ancient ears expect a more 80s John Carpenter-esque synth piece. But overall it sounds good so far.

EDIT: this is the kind of thing I’m talking about link to youtu.be

Oakreef says:

I think I’ve played faaar too much Command & Conquer because literally just seeing the initials “MCV” in the banner image got me excited.

9. EvilSnake says:

And not a single mention of Roadwar 2000 in sight.

• ShootyFace says:

Shame on RPS, but I wonder how many of them have even heard of it, that’s an oooold game. But a great one. If Convoy added squad management akin to Roadwar 2000 with boarding and people firing back and forth from vehicles … oh yesssss.

• Wizardry says:

That brings back memories. Pretty good game if I remember correctly.

• ShootyFace says:

Honestly, it’s still enjoyable, and hard. I got it off Abandonia or one of those sites a few months ago. Still totally playable and intriguing, I think. A modern day version that emulated it 1:1 would make me very happy.

• Enkinan says:

I had not read your post before making mine, but damn I loved that game.

10. sinister agent says:

This looks lovely. Hoping they can pull it off, and keep it from some of the overly arbitrary pitfalls of FTL.

11. jonahcutter says:

That’s some pretty sweet vehicle ramming gameplay they’ve tested. I want to see it to fruition, so…

Backed!

Not to hijack, but this: link to kickstarter.com popped up in my “you may like” KS window. Also a fresh-looking take on a post-apoc roguelitelikeetc. Its campaign is already a success, but it looks so damn good I had to share it.

12. Enkinan says:

Roadwar 2000 popped in my head after looking at it. A new, awesomer version of Roadwar 2000.

Nice

13. tokyodan says:

“While Convoy might trade chariots for MCVs and lashing whips for hot lasers, it’s got the same turn-based, vehicular combat and moving battlefield that makes the Roman racer such a thrill to play.”

Nope. I think the writer of this article may have the part about turn-based combat wrong. This is what is on their Kickstarter page:

“A new take on tactical combat: Combat plays out in real time as a high-speed car chase where you need to position your units and use abilities to maximise their effectiveness.”

14. tobyjk says:

I just have to vent here and say that I’ve been working on a game called convoy that was exactly the same as this. I mean, literally exactly the same, little exclamation marks and all. I guess I need to be more creative.