Far Cry 4 Story Trailer Reminds You There’s A Story

The latest Far Cry 4 trailer explains the game’s story, which is a good thing, because there’s very little chance I’m going to pay attention to what’s going on when I come round to actually playing it. “Do what you came here to do,” one character implores. ‘What, you mean you want me to wingsuit off of all these mountains and make rucksacks out of your endangered species?’ “Your mother’s dying wish will be fulfilled.” I think my mum wanted me to silently dispatch hundreds of people with a bow and arrow?

Come, watch the trailer, become dimly aware that there are characters other than Pagan Min and purpose to your character other than ooh-what’s-over-there.

Far Cry 4 is just a couple of weeks away, and I’m looking forward to it after having enjoyed Far Cries 1-3. I’m looking forward to it twice as much after playing Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare – thoughts on which shall arrive later today. I’m keen now to participate in a violent, first-person romp with the expanse and freedom Far Cry 3 established as the new norm for the series. I’m hopeful, even, that progression through that terrain won’t be tied to terrible story missions like last time, even if it means having to invite a co-op buddy along for the gyrocopter ride in order to turn those missions off.

As per usual, Ubisoft have been spraying trailers for the game like machinegun fire. You can watch similarly brief introductions to the weapons, the setting, and the recently announced PvP multiplayer. So many explosions.

1. AyeBraine says:

What was terrible about the story missions in Far Cry 3? Is it the fact that the people in them were not nice?

• Monggerel says:

No it’s the fact that they were a big ol’ bag of bumblefuck. Easily the worst gameplay segments in the whole thing. The fact cutscenes were unskippable did not help very much. The other fact that you needed to get through a whole bunch to get the wingsuit and the second island was also shite.
      Thankfully that last one was rectified with mods.

Christ I miss Far Cry 2.
      “Stab this shoot that etcetera” because you get paid. That’s it. That’s all there is innit.

• Skeletor68 says:

I think I become ‘that guy’ when I star talking about Far Cry 2. Such an amazing game. I’m happy that Far Cry 3 shot for all sorts of over-ambitious satirical madness but despite that I couldn’t get past how ‘gamey’ it is.

Diegetic UI forever!

• BreadBitten says:

“Christ I miss Far Cry 2”

Wait, you mean to say that the game doesn’t exist anymore?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I guess the narrative formula isn’t really for everyone, that usually happens when you cross many lines in the silly department.

I didn’t mind the story, but i can see why someone might hate it.

• AyeBraine says:

Agreed, it’s an old story – I get a little irked when people I respect dismiss things I genuinely liked. No sense in that.

I liked the story and found it quite bold. It’s muddled and confounding if you approach it as an action film story, but it’s a great atmospheric piece if you take these guys seriously. Main character is not too smart, and in a bad place, and is descending into the trigger-happy violent madness way more spectacularly then the grimdark Spec Ops: The Line’s Cpt. Walker. Deal with it. The “good American” guy is an old CIA creep who dropped out of the circuit many years ago, and whose absurd (or even imagined) mission in the end of the game is like a funeral pyre for his bitter guilt and confusion. I mean, it was way cool: I’m sitting in a plane with a weird drunken uncle who says he’s finally “needed” and “called upon” and now his life will turn around for sure! Was glad to jump the fuck out. Even the bad guys were unorthodox – in the sense that all the atrocities on both sides were just par of the course, life as usual – not some holy mission you need to take on to cleanse the islands. In fact, the whole point is you can’t cleanse them, you can only join the fun and get even more people killed and maimed. The sense of fuck-up was more drawn-out and subtle, less stark in FC3 than it was in Spec Ops: The Line – but it was more natural.

You know, sitting in a hut with 3 laid-back fishermen, who are most likely also part-time contrabandists, and who definitely watch people getting killed every day, and playing poker with them to the sounds of Asian pop music. This is one of these moments.

• derbefrier says:

I don’t know it seemed to me no better or worse than any other typical video game story but people tend to go out of there way to make sure you know how bad they think the story is for this one. Its really just average and mostly forgettable not really the crime against humanity some act like it is.

• fish99 says:

It’s another one of those games where it appears you have great freedom, but then all the important story stuff happens in cut scenes or scripted sequences where you have little or no input.

• AyeBraine says:

That’s a good point. Actually, I valued the un-freedom more than the intangible freedom. I do not generally expect total freedom of choice from games, because there never is, for purely mechanical, realistic reasons. And I really like story-driven games. So for me, it’s even better this way.

I like when a game is set up so that I seemingly fool around and have fun, but in the process I actually DO things. I mean, like in real life – everything you’ve done is there, you can’t UNdo it. So after I’ve eagerly “liberated” a dozen outposts, as I continue the story and it becomes crazier, I realize one thing fully: yes, I DID THAT. My hands are bloodied to the elbow, my eyes are probably glistening with creepy enthusiasm and total lack of connection with reality, I’ve killed hundreds of people for weird reasons, and I like doing it. Not only “I” as a character (which is conveyed through the plot, where Jason is strangely non-chalant about this hell), but “I” as a gamer.

Yeah, they gave me freedom and I’ve used it. And that’s what I did with that freedom, and I LOVED it and I don’t regret anything. Again, this is in contrast with Spec Ops: The Line. In the latter, your mental reflection of your actions, your horror and regret are explained to you – yes, through cutscenes! The gameplay itself is dead straight, although in a meta-parody fashion. In Far Cry 3, the whole plot hinges on an emergent quality: the FUN player has running around, creatively killing people and roleplaying Rambo.

Every even slightly positive review of the game mentioned this. They would dismiss the story, dismiss the jarring protagonist, but say that the redeeming quality is the way you feel like a crazed flying Rambo on an absurd rampage. The “flow” of the game.

But the whole plot is built around ramifications of that feeling!

• Shooop says:

How about the fact the story was hackneyed bullshit from a “writer” who has the maturity and tact of a middle-schooler?

• Penguin_Factory says:

I think I’d go with “insufferably annoying” as opposed to “not nice”.

• SuicideKing says:

No, it was hateful because even if i ignore the weird setup for the plot (teenagers stuck on the island, etc.), which I usually do for games (because hey, they’re games, they could be set on the Moon for all I care), the characters were poorly written (except perhaps Vaas), there was no sense or connection between events, it didn’t make me care about anything, seemed racist on some levels, the weird hallucination levels were annoying, and I had to manually perform simulated torture.

I played the game last spring, otherwise I’d probably be able to explain more in detail.

2. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

“I’m looking forward to it twice as much after playing Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare”

Is that because it’s still corridor based as opposed to a sort of open world? Or because you actually found it decent and that got you pumped for more FPS action?

SPOILERS on the WOT i think!

• Ross Angus says:

I was really looking forward to John being furious with army bottoms. I like Graham’s writing a lot, but he lacks John’s incandescent ire, when it comes to COD.

3. Cinek says:

They could just copy & paste Far Cry 3 plot. Still noone would care.

ps. wow, that idiotic haircut. If I would be that guy – I would slit a throat of a hairdresser who did something like that.

4. Stevostin says:

Far Cry 2 story I liked a lot. It acknowledged that the player has to be a terrible person for all of the murder he commited. Also it was a video game story, not a movie story, more a series of vignette than something with a movie-like dramatic arc.

FC3 was also self aware but tried excessively to preserve a positive, innocent self image of the player. Sure it was still 10 times betters than your average CoD insanity but still not good.

FC2, again, was good. To me the best game of the franchise. I even miss malaria and jammed guns. Never understood how it was a chore to anyone.

phuzz says:

I *love* FarCry 2 (and curse the fact I can’t get it to run on my new PC), but it was quite broken in some ways. If there had just been a 10-15 minute respawn timer on the checkpoints, it would have helped so much. Also, it would have helped if the missions had been set slightly closer to where you received them, no more trekking across the entire map just to shoot some dudes.
      The jamming weapons I didn’t mind, it made sense that some dude’s gun that you just picked up will be rubbish, but you can go buy a nice one from your friendly neighbourhood arms dealer. and the fire, oh gods the fire! I loved the fire in that game so much, somehow that was something that wasn’t quite as good in the sequel, despite having more powerful machines to play with.

Man, I’m going to try getting FC2 working again this evening now. (I think it’s the combination of Win8 and an AMD graphics card that’s causing it to just not start the game, help gratefully received)

• Monchberter says:

I would actually buy Far Cry 2 with 3’s mechanics (outposts, animals, side missions) dropped in. That it felt sterile despite being an amazingly immersive game (best sunsets / sunrises ever) was a bit of a disappointment.

• El_Emmental says:

Don’t forget there’s Dylan’s “realism” mod ( link to moddb.com )

It makes weapons reliability more credible (they still jam or break, but it takes a little longer), increase damage for both AI and the player (the v1.5 should tone that down a little), makes the AI a little more efficient and less annoying: they won’t chase you all the time (the dev says there’s a 60% chance) and outpost respawn timers have been increased.

• AyeBraine says:

I think that in FC3 the player (together with the protagonist) was anything but innocent. The whole point of the plot and the gameplay itself was that you enjoy drifting away from reality, morality and rationale. You learn how to have fun killing people – and not because it’s just a game… but because the game itself is about this. And this point is not so much shoved down your throat in some angsty dropping-on-your-knees cutscenes, but rather through actual gameplay.

Think about other games, like GTA for example. In these games, plot plays a make-believe that you only kill when necessary, and that you earnestly pursue your goals, maybe even have pangs of conscience. All the killing rampage and fun traffic pileups happen in between the plot beats – these things are player being “naughty”, and the game allowing this with a wink. In FC3, absurd violence and mass murder for murky, weirdly explained reasons happen exactly according to plot. Actually, almost every major character is slightly deranged exactly because of this atmosphere of senseless violence. They just cope with it and rationalize it in different ways. And player’s enjoyment from this “naughtiness” is exactly in-character.

Mungrul says:

See that picture of Pagan Min?
    Yeah, that one at the top of the article that gets used everywhere.
    Doesn’t anybody else think the white collar makes him look like a vicious punk vicar?

6. kikito says:

If you use Born to be Wild (or a version/cover), you must be at least as good as Easy Rider.

I don’t think this will be as good as Easy Rider.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

If interactivity is your main point of interest, then yes, any game is better than Easy Rider.

• PopeRatzo says:

I saw Easy Rider again recently, and it really was pretty awful. Even adjusting for the 1960’s, it was a pretty terrible movie.

I can think of five, no…six games that are a lot better than Easy Rider and if you let me finish this coffee, I’ll come up with twice that.

7. skalpadda says:

But why have those two men in the screenshot covered themselves in vaseline?

8. sinister agent says:

Whaaat how can this be? You mean that you didn’t play Far Cry 3 to save the inexplicably helpless natives and hear all of Magical Dennis’ secret melanin wisdom? Madness.

On the plus side, someone made a mod that unlocked everything without the need to bother with the brain-molesting story missions, so even if they do it again, hopefully the modders will fix it.

9. bstard says:

I’m gonna spend that 60euro’s to get screwed somewhere else. Looks nice but not to keen on this new 60euro’s standard price, and a lot more for the usual DLC flood.

Qazinsky says:

Uuuh, did that lady in the trailer just cut her arm with a kukri? Aren’t they kinda famous for being poisoned or something like that (note that I have no sound, so if she just screamed “I just sealed my own fate!” I could not hear that)?

• sinister agent says:

Kukris aren’t any more likely to be poisoned than any other knives. They’re everyday cutting tools as much as they are weapons, and their most infamous use is the ghurkas cutting someone’s throat. Poison would be redundant in most situations where a kukri would be useful.

Qazinsky says:

Yeah, I might have gotten that confused somehow. Still, I would advise from cutting yourself with a kukri.

• SuicideKing says:

Yeah, what sinister agent said.

11. Michael Fogg says:

They use the Disney-esque trope of giving the villain queer chracteristics. He almost looks like Gok the stylist from British TV.

12. Shooop says:

Ubisoft would like to remind us the worst thing about the previous game in the series is also in this one. Thanks Ubi.

13. Asdfreak says:

At least the game seemed to be kinda self aware that the character the player controlls must be a massive lunatic with ADHD, or so it seemed to me when the villain asked wether he was speaking to “the lunatic that killed so many men climbing this mountain or the guy who wants to fullfill his mother dying wish”[or whatever he said exactly]

14. El_Emmental says:

Quite a few references in that trailer… Humorous ones like the fish AI, but also more serious ones like the dynamiting of the Buddhas of Bamiyan by the talibans, or the parrilla.

I wonder how the game would be, if it didn’t need to sell enough copies to recoup the development cost and provide enough profits for shareholders and future Ubisoft projects. The developers don’t seem stupid, but the average consumer… that’s another story.

15. onodera says:

Can we have Far Cry 5 set in a breakaway region that is totally not Donbass of an Eastern European country that is totally not Ukraine? Or is exotic wildlife a mandatory feature?