Flamberge: Inventive Turn-Based Pike-Stabbing

Graphically somewhat beholden – as 48% of all indie games are, by law – to Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery, but very much doing its own thing in terms of combat controls, Flamberge is a bit of a treat. It’s a simultaneous turn-based strategy-RPG with a medieval fantasy theme, and like fellow simultaneous turn-based title Frozen Synapse & Cortex, much of the tactical thinking revolves around a best-guess as to where your opponents will be when the turn resolves. Then you stab ’em with a cute little pixel lance. Or shoot them with a cute little pixel arrow. Both, ideally.

Fashionably unfashionably, there’s a demo. (And a Kickstarter, but that goes without saying these days.)

So, for instance, your lance-wielding character could be set to automatically charge at anyone who comes within range, or he can speculatively charge much further in a particular direction that you’re confident an enemy will wander to. You’ve also got to think about where your characters end up come the close of a turn, and whether to activate defensive abilities if you predict you’ll be in a spot of bother. It’s fast and vicious, and feels pretty fresh with it.

Look, it’s probably better to see it in action:

Look, no, it’s probably better to play it for yourself, which you can do with this here three-level, three-character demo (including a boss fight). Shows off the look and the combat pretty well, and suggests a pretty slick affair from Michael ‘Hydezeke’ Savage-Benoist.

It’s on Kickstarter with 22 days to go, though it’s already shot past its modest $1500 goal. Planned for the full release are 15 different playable characters with a bunch of upgrade skills, and a multiplayer mode, which is probably where Flamberge will shine the most.

1. Ashrik says:

Whew, I would love to have this on my phone/tablet.

2. David Bliff says:

I’m glad they’ve already passed their goal! People seem to have turned on Kickstarter recently but it’s good to see a team with modest goals succeeding!

• Jools says:

For what it’s worth, the lion’s share of Kickstarter’s decline comes from very large projects – generally those with six figure or greater targets. Smaller projects are thankfully still being funded more or less as often as they have been for the past several years. Trying to keep large teams with professional budgets operating through crowdfunding was always a bad idea and I think we’re just starting to see the consequences of that now.

3. GrosData says:

I have to admit, I don’t really understand the $1.5k goal.

I might live in a different reality, but $1.500 seems to be something you can always pull without crowdfunding (via saved up money, a loan, family, or many other means). But it’s not anywhere enough to actually pay yourself with, especially when you’ve got costs to cover (Greenlight, server & production costs, as mentioned on the page).

They seem to be heavily relying on stretch goals or simply looking to use Kickstarter as a marketing platform. And that’s just what I don’t want from Kickstarter.

SuddenSight says:

This is my worry exactly. Looking at their breakdown of future costs, I do not have much faith in their business sense:
      Greenlight (Relatively cheap, seems like it could be covered by their goal)
      Server costs (Same as above)
      Production costs (Super duper not cheap, this should be point 1 if they are actually dependent on the KS to fund themselves during production)

On the other hand, this game ticks so many boxes for me. I love the music, the art style, and the gameplay. The demo is an excellent piece of work and shows that they already have a good idea of where to take the game. So I backed the project. I hope they don’t burn out before it is done!

4. padger says:

Gosh this is lovely. Why the low goal? Could have made $10k+ with minimal effort?

I guess they were just making sure they were funded and then seeing what they got on top of that? Interesting tactic…

5. Locus says:

“Oh hey, I didn’t see you there!”

I really wish Kickstarter videos would stop doing this, it always makes me cringe. Having the quirky Nicolas Cage desktop background doesn’t help either. That said, the actual game looks pretty cool so hopefully they’re not actually relying on a mere $1.5k to fund the development.