Anime Mecha Battles: Project Nimbus On Early Access

I can't even see what's happening here. Robots, probably.

How do you prefer your giant stompy deathkill robosuits: serious, silly, or anime melodramatic? Because if you like your mecha all anime, oh my stars, Project Nimbus is one for you. Watching the game’s trailer is like someone showing you a fanvid for their favourite mecha anime and saying it’s amazing but you’re dazzled by a blur of technological diagrams and robofights and dramatic voices saying things like “It’s our duty to bring justice to the world. We are the only ally of justice.”

In short, you get to blow things up as a flying mecha with machineguns, railguns, drones, missiles, and a honking great laser sword. It’s out now on Steam Early Access for £10.99.

Nimbus is set in a future where the Earth is ruined and everyone’s split into warring factions living in sky-cities. Obviously these wars are fought with mecha, who zip around blowing up ships, each other, and huge boss robots. It’s all a bit Zone of the Enders or Gundam. Have a look:

Why Early Access? Developers GameCrafterTeam say “we would like to speak with a larger group of players. Not just for bug-fixing but also ideas and suggestions for game adjustment,” and that Steam makes that a lot easier. Ahead of a launch in the first half of 2015, the Thai team also plan to add other three quarters of the campaign, survival and sandbox modes, and an Oculus Rift-friendly HUD. Nimbus soared through Kickstarter earlier this year.

1. Ansob says:

I’m very excited for this since I’d love a Gundam game (and neither Gundam VS or Mobile Suit Gundam Online are getting western PCs :( ), but I can’t say I’m a huge fan of the mech design. That aside, I really hope this is good an doesn’t end up getting abandoned by the devs; we need more mech games and more Ace-Combat-/Armored-Core-ish PC games.

• Kaeoschassis says:

It’s funny, the designs were the only thing I never liked about the Gundam series. With the exception of some of the bigger, clunkier ones in 00. I much prefer the designs here.

• subedii says:

Was always more of a Macross person myself, so if nothing else I’m happy to see some “Itano Circus” going on there (aka Macross Missile Massacre).

That said whilst I don’t particularly mind the Mecha designs, I hope they’re going to be animated better and with more “personality”. As they currently stand, they just look like everything’s “fixed” in place, which kind of negates a lot of the point of having a giant anime robot when it has about as much visual animation as a fighter jet.

• psuedonymous says:

Same, but I always had a soft spot the the OZ mass-produced suits of the much (unfairly) maligned Gundam Wing. Though Gundam’s mass produced suits in general tend to look much better than the titular Gundams.

• Ansob says:

Gundam mechs cover a lot of ground. There’s a hell of a difference between, say, a Zaku II and the RX-78-2 Gundam, and that’s just within the Universal Century timeline (and Gundam-the-franchise has four major timelines).

I personally hate the 00 suits, but then I love the chunkiness of the Zaku II/GM and their derivatives (and hate the designs for the actual Gundams).

• KDR_11k says:

The earlier Gundam mechs have the advantage of no easy CG, nowadays people just use CG so they can model it once and render it everywhere. As a result designs are getting more and more greebled up. It’s quite feasible to remember every detail on a UC-era mobile suit, it’s practically impossible to remember all the details on an Armored Core from ACV (which also leads to much busier and uglier silhouettes).

• Haplo says:

I don’t actually mind the look for the Gundams; conversely the Zaku II design doesn’t always suit my fancy.

My heart, however, belongs now and forever to the red dress suit, the sex-on-legs Sinanju. I will personally glass-glove fight anyone who dares slight it.

2. padger says:

Makes me wonder when someone will do something with the G-Police IP.

• Snids says:

Oh, they were great. Such lovely memories playing through them . Technically very well made games as well.

3. KDR_11k says:

Looks more Zone of the Enders than Gundam, Gundam mechs tend to walk on the ground and dash around momentarily, not hover in mid-air for the whole fight. Even Armored Core (which got crazy boosty in 4 and 5) still has gravity.

Also doesn’t look like you get to customize your loadout?

Still, there aren’t many fast mech games on the PC, indie devs tend to go more for the plodding BattleTech style.

4. Hmm-Hmm. says:

The voice acting seems a bit.. hit-and-miss. But I’m not in the target audience, so it could be just me.

• KDR_11k says:

The voice acting sounds like they’re going for the “bad anime dub” style. I guess they watched so much anime that it sounded like a good idea.

5. DrollRemark says:

Now I just want to play Metal Wolf Chaos.

• KDR_11k says:

FROM really need to port their mech games to the PC. Perhaps even make Steel Battalion Heavy Armor mouse controlled and thus playable…

• psuedonymous says:

Steel Batallion. With the original controller (it has Windows drivers). In the Oculus Rift.

Bonus points for mounting your chair on a limited haptic platform (or even just a powerful transducer, e.g. ButtKicker).

• Snids says:

That game has the best possible name for any thing.

• Baines says:

It doesn’t stop at the name. Metal Wolf Chaos is the game where you play the President of the US fighting back against an armed insurrection led by the Vice President. In your suit of power armor.

6. Psychomorph says:

The hardcore traces made me insta-click-away.

7. Phantom_Renegade says:

Any game calling itself Nimbus and not involving flying broomsticks has completely lost me as an audience.

8. JiminyJickers says:

A game about cities in the skies where the robots all fly around. I don’t get why they have legs, haha.

Still, this looks interesting, I have to many Early Access games at the moment so will definitely wait for this to be finished first.

9. Darloth says:

Looks a bit like Strike Vector, but with more plot and even more anime.

that said, I didn’t see any in-game transformations, despite a shiny cutsceney one.

10. Viroso says:

Some Ace Combat and Omega Boost vibes going on there.

11. BathroomCitizen says:

I want a sequel for Shogo, so I can squish puny humans under my mighty mechanical foot.

Phasma Felis says:

IN THE SKY.

The team is from Thailand, according to their website. Someone should really tell them that Japan’s strict export regulations on non-shitty translations and voiceovers don’t apply to them.

Oh! And they’ve also firmly checked the box marked “ruminate extensively about how terrible war and weapons and soldiers and death are, in a game about being a fucking awesome soldier racking up a bitchin’ body count with badass weapons in a totally sweet war.” Are these guys sure they’re not Japanese?