Free Beards And Horse Armour: The Witcher 3 DLC Plans

Not ANY.

“We wouldn’t fill anyone’s eyes with needles,” CD Projekt RED say. “Some people, they… wellll… but not us. We wouldn’t. In fact, we quite like you. We’re not even sure what needles really are. [Yelling into the next booth] Say, Gary, have you seen any needles?” Something like that, anyway.

Reminding people that The Witcher’s post-release support has been splendid, not like those other RPGs other people make (without mentioning many patches were necessary because both games were wonky at launch), they’ve announced plans to release sixteen pieces of free DLC for The Witcher 3 over the weeks and months after its release. Whether you pre-order or not, they say. No matter which edition you buy, they say.

These sixteen DLC blobs will come in batches of two every week, starting on February 25th – the day after The Witcher 3 launches. The first round of DLC will bring an armour set for Geralt and his horse, along with new beards and hairstyles. The second lot, on March 4th, will bring a new costume for Geralt’s pal Yennefer and a new quest. After that, it’s all a mystery.

Receiving free stuff for a game after launch feels “really special”, they say. That’s certainly true, and I’m glad I’ll be getting freebies in The Witcher 3. And while the first two Witchers did need a lot of patching, RED did far more than they could’ve got away with. I’m only being a bit shirty because they’re playing to the audience with talk like this:

Unfortunately this treatment is quite rare these days. As gamers, we nowadays have to hold on tight to our wallets, as surprisingly right after release, lots of tiny pieces of tempting content materialize with a steep price tag attached. Haven’t we just paid a lot of cash for a brand new game?

All right, all right, simmer down, you’re rousing the drunks at the back of the bar. I don’t go around flogging bucketloads of DLC either, and no one ever tweeted my praises to the skies.

1. Chalky says:

I wonder why they decided to stick this stuff in free post release DLC rather than just including it with the game as standard.

Usually this sort of thing is done because the DLC is developed or at least completed post release and delaying the release of the game for it was undesirable – but in this case they seem to have a bunch of screenshots of the DLC already completed quite a few months before release. I guess some parts of it (like the quest) won’t be finished until after release but still, it seems like some of it is just DLC for the sake of DLC.

Maybe they’re just very convincing mock-ups or concepts and there’s still a bunch of work to do on them that’ll be left until post release.

basilisk says:

This is just a PR exercise, nothing else. It’s their traditional “we’re the good guys!” spiel, except pushed slightly too far this time, because as you correctly pointed out, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

• Paul says:

“The fact that we are announcing the DLC before launch does not mean it is ready at this moment in time,” he told Polygon. “As you probably know, we are currently focused on polishing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. This means that most of the teams are involved in finalizing development and optimizing the game. However, some of the teams are free to start working on additional content that can be released after we launch the game. This is the case here. DLC will not be present on disc.”

The rise of paid DLC in the face of a mostly negative response from gamers is driven by pure psychology, Iwinksi said.

“When you get invested and emotionally attached to a game — and as we all know that’s what gaming is about — you want to have the full game and have access to all the options,” he said. “Why not have a bit better sword, armor or, yes, horse armor — if it’s possible to. You might use it, you might not, but you want to have it. It’s pure psychology and, from the ‘here and now’ business perspective, it’s an opportunity to get more money out of each copy. I am not saying all DLCs are not worth the price, but I think this business model is definitely abused to say the least. We think things shouldn’t look like this, and that’s why we do it differently. We give this stuff for free.”

Iwinski said he hopes their stand against releasing downloadable content for sale soon after a game’s release will lead to some industry introspection and maybe changes.

“We really hope this will initiate a change in the industry, even if it’s a small one at first,” he said. “This, and we also hope to make someone’s day better.”

While Iwinski and CD Projekt Red seem against the notion of paid downloadable content for games, that doesn’t mean they’ve entirely ruled it out for The Witcher 3 and future games from the company.

“If we ever decide to release paid content for Wild Hunt, I promise you, gamers will see why we decided to charge for it,” he said. “We’ll ask ourselves a simple question: Could anyone feel ripped off when they buy it? If there’s even a slightest possibility they will, we won’t do it.”
        —————————-

Yeah, such evil bastards. Next time they will announce Witcher 3 will be freeware, the assholes! Make sure to complain also!

basilisk says:

I’m not complaining. I’m just cynical.

Sometime around the release TW2, CDProjekt has struck gold when they came up with a new “unique selling point” and started pushing “DRM-free” and “we-hate-DLC” as their core values. It resonated very well, so they’re pushing it ever further.

It’s pretty classic populism. I’m not saying the result is necessarily bad, but there is no such thing as free lunch, you know. They’re not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, even though their PR department may be saying so.

• SMGreer says:

Sure a lot of it comes across as a lot of PR talk for “Hey, look at us we’re not like those other guys!”…but well, they aren’t and they’ve consistently proven it. Just about every major publisher and developer is doing a maddening combination of pre-order bonuses, first day dlc, expensive skin packs etc. which only seems to be getting worse as time goes by. You’ve got to pay for a glorified demo with Dragone Age Inquisition now for goodness sake.

So yeah, maybe this is just CD Projekt RED giving themselves a nice old pat on the back but hey, they’ve at least earned it by being the model opposite of the thing they’re vocally against. Lead by example and all that.

The only thing that’s sad is that a developer has to make such a big deal out of this kind of thing. That Watch_Dogs pre-order bonus chart was a horrible sign of how bad things have gotten.

• Paul says:

Might be good idea to save that cynicism for companies that deserve it.
            Like, pretty much all of them (big ones). CDP has been pretty damn consistent in their incredible post-launch support.

• pepperfez says:

There’s no such thing as a free lunch, but there is such a thing as paying top dollar for your lunch only to realize water and napkins are extra. If I can be assured that isn’t what I’m getting, I’ll take a little hyperbole.

basilisk says:

Again, this is not about their post-release support. The sole reason why they released this statement is to boost preorders while the game is still far from release. They’re doing it differently than anyone else, certainly, but that’s what they are doing nevertheless. Nothing particularly admirable about it, just business.

And yes, I am and will remain cynical whenever I see anyone shouting “Everyone look at me, I’m doing a good thing! Did you notice how good and altruistic I just was? Make note of that folks, good people like me are rare!” No matter who they are.

• Distec says:

I think a company that has (up until now) differentiated itself from their peers by not practicing Day One Paid DLC and mandatory DRM is allowed to… y’know, point that out.

They’ve lived up to their promises, they haven’t lied, and it’s been to the consumer’s benefit. I don’t feel the need to scrutinize them like I would if EA promised free stuff.

Yes, it’s marketing. But there’s nothing fishy going on and I think they’ve earned the right to toot their own horn.

• jonahcutter says:

Is it marketing to point it out? Sure. Can it also be their actual values? Yep.

Why shouldn’t they be rewarded for having a populist message? A message they back up by treating their fans and customers well.

• RaoulDuke says:

I share basilisk’s cynicism, here’s why I think they push DRM-Free so much these days:

2010, Nov – They made The Witcher 2 with DRM-Free but warned that pirating it might get you a fine – link to eurogamer.net

2011, Dec – They hired lawyers to send out letters and make phone calls to 100% VERIFIED PIRATES [Wtf does that even mean?] demanding nearly €1000 for unprovable claims of piracy of TW2, based on IP addresses – link to eurogamer.net

At this point they start to change their tune…

Jan, 2012 – They bowed to pressure from the gaming community and stopped fining people €1000, they say because of the gaming communities worry about being wrongly accused and fined – link to rockpapershotgun.com

Oct, 2012 – Later that year they went fully back on the idea and admitted it was both a bad idea for business and morally abhorrent [As pirates and even buying customers informed them via email] – link to pcgamer.com

July, 2013 – By this time they have performed a full PR 180 on the issue of pirates and now claim they are “misunderstood customers”, and they reiterate their HATRED of DRM [But IP-Tracking & fining people is okay, wtf?] – link to cinemablend.com

Nov, 2013 – Now they have fully established themselves as DRM-Free crusaders and friend/not-enemy of pirates! link to giantbomb.com

They say they never wanted DRM in the first place, and I think that is great. They had no control over it being in TW1, TW2 was partly DRM-Free via different vendors and TW3 will be totally DRM-Free in all forms on PC. Great.

But I think the continued buddy-buddy relationship with gamers – with DLC like this – and the whole “understanding pirates” stance is to make us forget they tried to fine people €1000 for pirating TW2.

If the release of TW3 isn’t a buggy pile crap then they will be almost redeemed in my book… almost.

edit – my post looks like an evil barber’s pole hehe

• Trillby says:

It really is a case of us all having our cake and eating it. For RED – is it pure marketing bollocks? Absolutely. Should they benefit from the decision not to treat us like cash pinatas? Absolutely.

For us, the end consumer – is it wise to have a healthy dose of cynicism whenever companies tell us how much we should like them? Absolutely. Can we still appreciate companies not following the herd and providing us with better service? Absolutely.

There is cake to go around for everyone to have and to eat, if they so choose.

There is no need to jump on either side of the fence. It might be prickly balancing on top, but at least there’s a whole load of cake. And beards. And little in-game collectible cards with nudely ladies on them (unless they really did learn that lesson).

• iridescence says:

Nothing wrong at all with a company benefiting PR-wise from doing something positive for the customer. In fact, if we want more of them to follow this type of example, it’s imperative that there be some benefit for them in it business-wise.

• jerf says:

@basilisk

It’s the difference between “we want to make games in order to make money” and “we want to make money in order to make games”. EA, Ubisoft and the likes are certainly of the first type. They are interested in making a good game only insofar as it will give them more money.

CDPR, on the other hand, consistently prove themselves to be of the second type. Yes, they need money continue creating good games and they need PR to get money. But they are not going to nickel and dime people to maximize profit. If this can in itself be turned into a good piece of PR, then why not? What’s bad in it?

basilisk says:

Jerf, if you wish to believe that, go ahead. From where I’m standing, all I see is a largish publicly traded company with its network of shareholders and owners and whatnot, and I will therefore treat it like any other company – assuming they’re after profits first and foremost. There is no reason to think of them as my friends.

And to all the others – please note that I never said free stuff was bad. I’m not criticising anyone, just (cynically) pointing out the (cynical) motivation behind this. And in fact, most of all I’m seriously impressed that they’re able to spin this completely banal piece of news, namely that there will be some alternative skins and armours in their open-world RPG, into positive PR buzz. That’s masterful.

• jerf says:

@basilisk
            It is your right to remain cynical. In my opinion, however, CDPR consistently proved my views on them throughout the years.

Even if they don’t insert DRM into the game and don’t charge you extra for content cut out of the game only as part of an evil plan to maximize profits, I’d still support it. Why would I not?

The fact that they can use this DLC stance as a very good piece of PR doesn’t, in fact, say something good about them (or not that much anyway), and it’s not particularly masterful. This fact just says something quite bad about most of the othe other publishers/developers, that’s it.

• lordfrikk says:

e: wrong reply

• Emeraude says:

The rise of paid DLC in the face of a mostly negative response from gamers is driven by pure psychology.

That’s kind of a catch all statement, even rationally motivated positions are driven by pure psychology.

Issue with DLC – and it’s only one element in the problem -is the disappearance of the game as a finished product, with a definitive version.
          Or if it’s still exist, it’s only years after its release – if you can still play it, that’s another modern issue (access to old games used to be a compatibility with modern software/hardware issue; now it’s more that some components of the are never released to (the public and would need to be written from scratch) . And then the game you end up playing may have very little to do with the game as incepted.

Anyway, I think it’s bad influence from a game design and customer standpoint.

• Mezmorki says:

Maybe to keep people talking/tweeting/posting about the game for a while post-release – just to sustain interest in the game and sales momentum. That would be my guess …. “Guys! Don’t runaway to some other game just yet … we have the big hair-do DLC coming next week! But wait there’s more! We’ll give you not 1, but TWO useless DLC’s absolutely FREE if you buy the game RIGHT NOW!!!”

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Yes, i’m totally starting to think it’s more something like that.

You know what, i think this idea might actually reduce piracy aswell, since there’s this feeling of a game constantly getting new updates in background when you’re not looking; you buy the game and you can expect that it is going to get richer and richer without you doing anything, so you can revisit it every once in a while.

It adds value and convenience, and the latter is what made Steam so effective in turning pirates into customers, that’s my belief at least.

I still see a lot of comments in the darkest areas of the web about certain games that are SP only that go more or less like this: “Why should i buy it if it doesn’t even have MP? i can easily use each feature even on a pirated copy, so i’ll do just that”. I think this is what made more and more companies opt for tacked on and often unnecessary MP mode, and it probably is also the reason why there are so many day 1 and day 2 patches that are absolutely NEEDED, because this way if you want to pirate you constantly have to be on the hunt for the pirated update, which is a pain sometimes.

I think CDP got the right idea there, there’s this warm and fuzzy feeling of having your original game in your library and see it getting extra content love everytime, it feels nice and in this case you’re always going to have the psychological relief of knowing you can always expect the “complete version”, even if you don’t need or care about the extra DLC, and a lot of people are like that.

• Bluestormzion says:

On-Disc content has to be certified many months before a launch occurs, whereas DLC can be under construction much closer to its launch date. It’s entirely possible that the entirety of the Witcher 3 experience has been finished since summer, and these alternative looks are almost complete right now.

2. Laurentius says:

Just as Mass Effect series ME1 > ME2 > ME3, this franchise it’s also going donwhill: Witcher 1 > Witcher 2 > Witcher 3.

• Chalky says:

Yes, I too write off any game with beard customization.

• Orija says:

Pretty much, free DLC was the last nail for me.

• Bluestormzion says:

I know. When the Witcher 2 had better combat, better visuals, a more cohesive story, and more options than the first Witcher, I knew it was the beginning of the end.

• Asurmen says:

We get it. You don’t like Witcher 3. Every article about it you have to inform us.

(Also wrong on ME)

• Chalky says:

I’d love to know where he got his hands on a copy of the witcher 3 in order to form an opinion in the first place!

• Laurentius says:

Oh come on now, forming opinion without geting your hands on the game ? That’s just a novice level of “being opinionated on the Internet”, it’s really easy.

3. Rao Dao Zao says:

So, lots of annoying stuff to download… I’ll just be over here waiting for the Super Duper Actually Finished Edition in a year or two, like I did for the last two Witchers!

Okay, that was needlessly snarky, free stuff is always good no matter the logistics.

Also, BEARDFACE.

4. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I can’t wait to see the bearded option for Yennefer.

• FlopsyTheBloodGod says:

Your comment made me realise how rare bearded lady simulators are. I am oddly saddened by this.

• Boarnoah says:

We’ve always got Dwarf Fortress for that.

5. pasports31 says:

Am I the only one relatively unimpressed by this series? I played both, and while I didn’t think they were bad games, I didn’t think they were worthy of the “AWESOME ZOMG” response they seem to get from people. The gameplay is okay at best, and tediously annoying at its worst. While the tangible impact your actions have on the gameworld is pretty awesome, the world itself is somewhat off putting and uninteresting.

The games are fine, I just don’t get the overall obsession with them.

• derbefrier says:

Nah the games are average rpgs with fancy graphics for the most part. I. Bought witcher 1 after hearing all the hype and thought it was terrible(though it had pretty graphics) bought the witch 2 after all the hype and the promise that the sequel fixed a lot of the problems with the first, which it didto be fair, which brought it up to a solid but still average rpg with even prettier graphics than the first oh, and the fighting mechanics still sucked.

Now the witcher 3 looks bigger badder and even better looking that 2. It promises open world stuff blah blah blah.. Will I fall for the hype again? Maybe but only a few years after release when the super enhanced badass edition has been put out, oh and the combat will probably still suck since that seems to be a staple of the series or cdpr just sucks at making combat fun.

• lordfrikk says:

They’re fairly decent if weak in some areas (especially combat). The second one definitely did improve on a lot of thing but there were a few things that needed addressing still. Hopefully they’ll come through with the third installment.

6. jezcentral says:

A company well-known for their free, post-purchase support of their games announces more free, post-purchase support of their game.

I expect the internet will rage at this.

7. GameGecko says:

This is not actually free. You pay it by purchasing the game. It is part of the deal.
    It’s no longer “For the price you get the game.” Now it’s “For the price you get the game and the DLC”. You pay for the DLC just as you pay for the game itself. One could even say you get the game for free if you purchase the DLC.

It was free however if they would not tell you about the free DLC upfront, but after the purchase.

• pepperfez says:

Well, yes, and for games with paid DLC you’re paying for the DLC when you buy the game and then not getting it. As he says, it’s not just the dollar value at stake here, but the psychological value of getting a whole game without bits held hostage.

• Bluestormzion says:

No, that’s stupid. It would only be valid if the game was more expensive than other games. It’s not.

• Lacessit says:

It is, in fact, cheaper than other games. If you buy on GOG that is.

8. spacevagrant says:

Wow there must be an epidemic of people having their Cheerios pissed in this morning. Here we have an article of a Dev doing something good and the majority of the comments are people bitching about it, and their complaints don’t even make any sense. SMH

• killias2 says:

To be fair, the gaming community could really use a lot of baseless anger right now.

There hasn’t been enough of it lately.

• pepperfez says:

“People are talking seriously about games! I’ll kill them all!”
        “Companies are giving me stuff for free and I’m mad as hell about it!”
        “I poured milk on my cereal this morning and it wasn’t curdled! This has to end!”

• Pich says:

It’s like CDP went on a field trip to ran over every RPS commentor’s cat.

9. Al Bobo says:

So they want to show the other companies how to be good guys and not exploit DLC? Ok. I buy it. Both the game and the idea that they might actually do something like this just because they can. I’m not going to jump into cynicism bandwagon this time.

10. montorsi says:

I’m sure we all appreciate the fact CDP puts out DLC so bad they can’t rationalize charging for it.

11. Orija says:

It’s a PR exercise, there is no doubt about it. But that doesn’t it shouldn’t be shown some support in a world full of Ubis and EAs.

12. TheApologist says:

I’d save the snark for the bad guys personally.

Is this a PR exercise designed to keep people talking/tweeting/blogging etc. about their game weeks after launch? Yes. But are they justified in claiming to behave far better than most publishers of big games? Pretty much, yes.

13. Bugamn says:

Wasn’t DLC also justified by some as a way of keeping people (artists and similar) busy while the game was nearing completion?

14. K33L3R says:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure Witcher 2 owners got a free upgrade to Enhanced Edition, or was that just a GOG thing?
    Related because its another example (assuming I’m right) of RED doing something for free that everyone else asked money for (Deus Ex HR Directors Cut for example)
    Good for them, its a simple thank you for fans and works in their favour from a business standpoint because it encourages people to buy whatever they make next

• FriendlyFire says:

They did, and TW2 EE was a much bigger change than the Director’s Cut for DXHR, much as I love that game as well. They also released mod tools around the same time, and one of their own devs made a very successful mod changing many mechanics.

• bill says:

Don’t know about TW2, but I bought the Witcher 1 on Gamersgate, and when their downloads were down for about a week someone here pointed out that gog give you a free backup copy of the game.

They gave the free Enhanced Edition to everyone, even on Gamersgate, but I was rather impressed to discover I could download it from GOG and it even came with all the GOG extras like avatars, wallpapers, etc..

15. Monggerel says:

Yeah, PR is all shit

16. Zenicetus says:

Why is Geralt wearing a clown suit in the left side of the top image? Does he join a circus in the game? Infiltrate a Harlequin faction?

Anyway, I wonder if this free DLC thing could backfire a little. Yes, it’s a PR move to generate continuing buzz after release, but it might also put off some gamers who want access to beard shaving or whatever on their first playthrough. I’ll probably wait to buy the game until reading some reviews on how stable it is, plus setting aside enough time to play it. I doubt that any of the DLC will be “must have” items, but this still might make me wait a little longer to buy it, depending on what they’re planning. Not sure this is a good move.

• pepperfez says:

Oh man, if CDPR made an Eldar action-RPG…

• iniudan says:

That “clown suit” is a type of coat called a tabard. It it pretty common piece of medieval clothing, which from mid to late medieval period was also often worn over armor with heraldic design on them, as it make it much easier to identify your ally from enemy in the mist of battle.

The Tabard is also the name of an historical inn, featured in the Canterbery Tales, that used to be in Southwark district from the 14th to 19th century.

• Zenicetus says:

I had a vague notion it was Medieval-appropriate, just going for the cheap laughs. I still think he looks silly in it. Maybe it’s the bright colors. I don’t see Geralt as a bright colors kinda guy, and it wouldn’t be my first choice for monster stalking in the woods.

• Horg says:

It’s a Blue Stripes uniform, not Witcher gear. The 2nd game had a similar coat as a bonus item which eventually made its way into the final ultimate directors cut game of the year no we’re done now honest edition. Probably just something you can wear in the early game to make life easier for a few levels until it’s outclassed by normal items.

• iniudan says:

The thing is that a purely dark colored heraldry would be against the rule of tinctures, in Poland it would be different then in England, but the rules of no metal on metal and colour on colour is in general respected everywhere the heraldry system as been in use.

Geralt tabard pretty much as dark as it usually get outside of having having a single metal charge on a colours field or complex blazon with colour predominance.

Actually the La Vallette troop were unusually dark colored in Witcher 2, been orange and green, but orange is not one of the basic colour, so it rule could vary much more widely then the basic stuff, depending on the culture, actually due to it tint I guess I could even be considered a metal (i.e. copper).

17. Jamesworkshop says:

my best guess is this is a work around to not delaying the launch date

18. WiggumEsquilax says:

A lot of people complaining about free DLC for a Witcher game. Lets try something different.

Thank you CD Project.

I feel like I’ve made my case.

19. padger says:

I can see why you might grumble about it, but at least it gives you instant freshness on a replay. And I am hoping that W3 will support plenty of that.

20. FriendlyFire says:

Wow, there is so much butthurt going on here. CDPR announces that they’re going to give the game extra content post-release and you guys find a way to whine? Seriously.

21. Phantom_Renegade says:

Hot on the heels of local retailers trying to force me to pre-order to get DLC that Nintendo provided them for free as promotional materials (the Diancie event pokemon) I am filled with even more love for CD Projekt then usual at this news.

22. The Sombrero Kid says:

The games industry could use more playing to the audience with organisations like EA and Ubisoft willing me to not buy the games they make which i’m desperate to buy but can’t in good conscience because of their anti competitive and anti consumer practices.

In order to play to an audience you have to actually listen to them first, which is a hell of a lot more than other big publishers do. CD Project deserve to be rewarded for this stance and the anti consumer companies deserve to be penalised.

23. buzzmong says:

“16 pieces of free DLC after the game launches!”
    Or, in old language:
    “We’re going to keep updating the game!”

It’s clearly a PR exercise as the stuff will have been cut from the game to do it, but to be honest, considering how much CPR have done on the enhanced editions of the previous games, and the fact it shouldn’t take too long for it to be available, I’m not going to bash them, and if it actually helps drives sales, allowing them to recoup expenditure and then make even better games, I’m down with it.

I just hope that W3 and the forthcoming Cyberpunk 2077 are both awesome.

24. namad says:

quote: “I don’t go around flogging bucketloads of DLC either, and no one ever tweeted my praises to the skies.”

actually RPS recently did add DLC, so maybe try not to act so jealous towards cd red?

25. E_FD says:

Hey, if somebody bakes me cookies as a cynical, selfish ploy to get my attention, it’s still cookies. Mmmm.

26. Rahdulf123 says:

I love the point of hilarity some of the comments are approaching over free content. What’s next? Whining about how you have to buy the GAME to get free DLC? Please.

27. bill says:

I just started playing The Witcher 1, and (although I’m enjoying it) I have to wonder quite how bad the original version was if the Enhanced Edition is this flawed. (Half the dialog seems to be just random sentences connected together for no reason, the combat is terribly explained, the leveling up isn’t explained at all, the first boss appears to be almost invulnerable due to a glitch (that apparently isn’t), the voice acting is all over the place, etc…)

I’m probably able to overlook all the flaws and enjoy it anyway, but it’s sure not what I was expecting. I somehow thought it was going to be much more polished (due to reputation and also them redoing everything for the enhanced edition).

28. cpt_freakout says:

Excellent. To counter the cynicism a bit, I would say that there is no point in going old-school at this point in time and keeping quiet until after release to set up a free expansion pack. In order to look good and appear to give a cool ‘fuck you’ to DLC-peddler companies, they’re better off rolling with the times and appropriating those very same methods and twisting their value; in this case, that consists of announcing planned DLC like everyone else but then making it free. Stuff like this is what keeps the likes and mentions coming – the old waiting game was best for monthly magazines. So yes, it’s a PR thing, but it’s also good. I like to think of CDPR as pre-hardcore punks: they’re deep in the industry, they’re like everyone else, but at the same time they’re against it all. It’s an ambivalent position, but also one that has the potential to explode into other, better things.

29. Shadowcat says:

So what on earth was the whole “needles in the eyes” thing about?