Cube Cube Rift Craft World: Trove In Open Beta

Look, I clearly have more cubes than that other game's cubeman.

What happens when an MMORPG studio makes a Minecraftbut game? You can see for yourself now, as Trion Worlds launched Trove into open beta testing last night. The Rift and Defiance devs have a world made of big blocky voxels where you can dig and craft things, but also it’s got quests and dungeons and raids and classes and skills and levelling and MMORPG-y things. You know, a bit like Cube World. But you do get to build your own cross-server base.

So there you are, in a procedurally-generated blocky world, roaming, killing mobs, going on unexciting quests, and… I’m just describing an MMORPG here, aren’t I. Trove’s largely one of those, but it has digging and voxels. I do like the sound of the server-roaming ‘Cornerstone’ bases, which gives players a small plot of land to build a home (16×16 at the base, but up to 200 tall) – a sense of home can be a real pleasure in Minecraftbuts. And it’s quite interesting how Trion are soliciting designs for items and dungeons from players. And I do like the look of that Neon City biome too.

I played Trove in closed beta and it didn’t grab me at all. I don’t know why I tried, given that I’m not too keen on conventional MMORPGs or Minecraftbuts, but I was profesionally curious. I think I played for 15 minutes. Why am I even saying this? It’s not all booth babes and bourbon, you know.

You can download Trove over here. It’ll be free-to-play when it properly launches, with a microtransaction store selling things like mounts, classes, and costumes. Trion don’t plan a character wipe before launch.

Here, about the first hour of this livestream is Trove:

1. Disrespecting says:

Trove really has no digging at all.
    All ore can be found on the surface level, so theres no reason to ever dig deeper down.

Playing trove you’ll find yourself repeating identical dungeons over and over, rushing through them, bombing through walls to do them faster and it’ll quickly become a routine once you get whats going on.

As for raids, theres only 1, and It’s an 8 man dungeon.

• GameCat says:

Every minecraftlike game would be much better if it had cubes that you can’t destroy with one click and if they could be found anywhere underground.

• Boothie says:

Yeah it really isnt a negative, that said its still a repetitive and boring game i find.

2. padger says:

You wonder why anyone bothers to create a minecraftlike, when that game probably already exists as a Minecraft mod.

3. LexW1 says:

I’ve played Trove for 8-10 hours, and I’ve got to agree with Alice’s 15 minutes impression – it’s just dull. I even like MMORPGs and Minecraftbuts. Trove just doesn’t have anything really engaging to do, or any real depth, and it’s basically a big slow, not horrible, but slow, grind to improve your stuff and your Cornerstone (which pretty much always ends up as a toy castle or a skyscraper, given the 16x16x200 limits). Even CubeWorld, which hasn’t been updated for a year, is a significantly more engaging game, for my money.

Neurotic says:

I wish Cube World would update again, I love that game.

• razgon says:

Yeah, I came here to say just that. I *really* wish they’d push out the next update, for it looks glorious!

I can’t get into Trove unfortunately, because of the graphics.

• LexW1 says:

It’s really sad, because CubeWorld has a ton of potential, but Wollay hasn’t even said anything in public since what, June, when he was hyping lots of cool stuff as being “nearly done” and the last actual update was essentially a minor bugfix and well over a year ago.

He was apparently rather bitter over Trove, but actually having played Trove, I think he’s being silly, because his game is better, and if he’d just release the blimmin’ update, I’m sure people in Trove talking about CubeWorld (as they sometimes do) would actually help sell his game.

It’s kind of shocking that the much larger team and resources behind Trove has produced a game that is uniformly less impressive.

• tangoliber says:

I really like the environments it generates, and the overall atmosphere of the game. One of the better procedurally generated worlds I’ve seen.
      I don’t get the combat at all, though.

5. Monggerel says:

Oh, Minecraft.

Only thing I ever did was carve into a mountainside with as forlorn a vista as any that ever was and try and turn that stony hollow into a home. ‘Course all the luxuries of four cardinal directions don’t make up for the fact that there ain’t a one in all the world but what is a stranger to me.
    And in the game.