New Ubi Games Vanish From Steam In More Countries

Hiiii

Update: “We are looking into it at the moment,” an Ubisoft representative has told us about the later vanishings outside the UK. Meanwhile, two dear readers in Finland and Germany comment that the games have disappeared from Steam for them too.

When Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed Unity, The Crew, and Far Cry 4 all vanished from Steam in the UK earlier this week, the publisher made cryptic mention of being “in discussions with Valve”. What’s so weird or special about the UK that our Steam wouldn’t get Ubisoft’s big fancy Christmas lineup? Turns out, we’re not so special any more. These games are vanishing from the US and Australian stores too, VG247 noted, suggesting something bigger than a regional quirk is afoot.

Exactly what that’s going on is a mystery at this point. I’m getting flashbacks to when EA started pulling games from Steam and went Origin-only, but that’s only speculation.

Ubisoft’s vague story yesterday was that they were chatting with Valve about something, but that it might only be a temporary vanishing.

“We’ve been in discussions with Valve about Assassin’s Creed Unity but for the time being the game is not available via Steam in the UK,” they told PCGamesN. “In the meantime, UK customers wishing to purchase the game digitally can do so by visiting the Uplay store, our retail partners or other digital distributors.”

We’ve shot Ubisoft a line to see what they say now. To half-blindly draw comparisons, the problem EA had with Steam was wanting to “establish an ongoing relationship” with players, which they say was about providing updates and services themselves but rumour says was also about selling DLC directly without going through Valve – and Valve wouldn’t allow that. I do hope we won’t end up with Ubi’s new games only available in the Uplay client and store; it’s simply not as good as Steam.

For several years, Ubisoft games on Steam have required a Uplay account and launched the client anyway, but a few recent Uplay updates have deepened the connection. One in September let folks link Steam and Uplay accounts, “in order to seamlessly start your games from Steam.” Another this very week (as LewieP points out) makes it so launching a Uplay game through Steam will show all your other Steam-bought Uplay games in the Uplay client, “making it easier to find the content you own.” Which seems a bit like making it yell “Hey! Over here! Look! You can use this thing! It has games!”

The most recent update also added features one would expect from a client Ubisoft would want people to have open all the time, like minimising to the task bar tray and background autopatching (which can’t be disabled). They’re sensible things to add anyway, of course, but Ubisoft haven’t seemed too serious before about making Uplay usable or desirable. Perhaps they are shoring it up to try ditching Steam and going their own way.

But this is, of course, all speculation and line-drawing.

1. jezcentral says:

Are they disappearing from Origin, too?

EDIT: Nope, it’s still there, at an eye-watering price. (I’m in the UK). No blame attaches to EA for this, but I think it adds credence to the story that Steam were kicking back about the price. But we shall see.

• Cantisque says:

Didn’t Planetary Annihilation debut on Early Access for $100? I’m fairly sure Steam lets publishers set whatever prices they feel like and I doubt this is the problem.

• Eviscerator says:

Yes, but there was a very good reason for that- maintaining parity with what the backers had to pay to get into the alpha. Offering it at a cut down price would have been a massive middle finger to all the high level backers. £50 for a new game though really is pushing boundaries for no real reason.

I can appreciate that games cost a lot to make, but the more the price goes up the less likely you are to ship as many units. I loved AC4 and even after the disaster that was AC3, I still would have picked up AC:U for about £40. At £50 though? Pass and wait for sale. What’s that, it’s no longer going to appear in a steam sale? Hmmm…

Either way I’d imagine this is very much a last ditch attempt to make uPlay actually work and increase their profits. As Ubi really don’t give a shit about PC gaming anyway I’d imagine they feel they have little to lose.

2. MrYo says:

Germany here, they have disappeared from our store too. Let’s hope they’re not trying to do what EA did… If there’s one thing that’s worse than Origin, it’s UPlay.

• Melody says:

Well, from what I’ve heard, Origin isn’t bad at all.
      On the other hand, among the AAA devs, Ubisoft is one of the better ones (which isn’t saying much, but still, at least they made “Child of light” and “Valiant Hearts”), whereas I refuse to buy any EA games out of principle.

The problem for me is that they can’t agree on one form of DRM, everyone needs to have their own. And even that wouldn’t be terrible if the client was just that, a minuscule program to check that your copy is authentic (as if people couldn’t pirate it anyway), with an optional bigger library organizer. But having to have several different clients to install, configure and use depending on the publisher of my game is just stupid.

If they could all agree on some sort of common/shared/open source DRM (if that’s even possible or makes sense, I don’t know), then we could have the option of several library organizers, not necessarily tied to any store, that could manage and launch your games no matter where you bought them from.

• Dagerag says:

If you think Origin is not so bad, you’re entitled to that opinion. But the client is hard to navigate, has a laggy interface, shit download times, and also its owned by EA.

• JayG says:

The games are gone from Switzerland as well. Ironically Steam was always the most expensive way for me to buy Ubi games so my most recent purchases have been Uplay only.

• jezcentral says:

It also has a returns policy, good offline support, good download times (in my experience, YMMV), and is unaffected by bloat (although they have just added chat rooms).

The worst I could say about Origin is it is inoffensive.

I’m sure one hundred different gamers will have one hundred different opinions about it, though. :)

• FurryLippedSquid says:

I’m with you, for what it’s worth.

Origin is Ok.

• SuffixTreeMonkey says:

Yeah, Origin is acceptable and I don’t mind using it from time to time.

I think we all benefit if we outgrow this silly “I can only buy on one store” mentality. Steam is fine, and it’s okay to use it, but other stores are pretty awesome too: Humble Store takes less than 30%, I think, and GOG takes 30% but the DRM-freeness is a great boon for me.

More stores means indie developers won’t get pressured into joining Steam/Origin/Any Other Store That Takes 30% For Very Little. Plus other perks for us customers, like lower prices, more competitive (and better) stores, and so on.

So I support Ubisoft in going solo — but once they do, they should start working hard on making Uplay the best DRM/Store/Frontend it can be.

• Melody says:

Agree. GOG’s catalogue doesn’t overlap too much, and Itch.io’s offer is also quite unique – so it’s not entirely fair to compare those two to other stores; but I try to make it a point to always buy from humble if possible, even if that means a slightly higher price.
            1) Gives to charity
            2) Steam key for ease of use, but also DRM-free copy
            3) Don’t know if it gives a bigger share to the devs than Steam

Right now the best experience IMO is on the Humble store.
            On the other hand, if I started buying from whoever has the lowest price, that’d lead me to forget what games I own on what service, so I’d rather keep it to just a handful of services (unless they give me a steam key) and right now that means Steam, GoG, Humble, Itch.io. There’s not much I want on Desura.

• Neutrino says:

“I think we all benefit if we outgrow this silly “I can only buy on one store” mentality.”

That would be easier if some of these ‘stores’ didn’t have the intent of creating as large a footprint on your system as possible.

• fish99 says:

Are you desperately short on memory? I have a rather paltry 8GB ram and most games don’t even use half of that. Steam, Origin and UPlay combined only use about 300MB of ram, that’s less than the web browser I’m using to post this message.

• Melody says:

8GB of Ram is not “paltry”. It’s between standard and slightly above average.
            link to store.steampowered.com

(Not that RAM is the problem, just saying.)

• Melody says:

Did you answer before reading the second line?
          “From what I’ve heard”, I’ve never installed origin myself.

• Aleister Crowley says:

It seems you are constantly editing your posts for some reason… Are you ok?

• Melody says:

LOL?

I’m just reformulating my thoughts because I realized what I first wrote was inaccurate.

• JayG says:

If I did that, I’d never post. Oh, I never post.

• Aleister Crowley says:

You say Origin “isn’t bad at all” but then go on to say “I refuse to buy any EA games out of principle”. But how can you know what Origin is like if you don’t buy EA games? I haven’t bought an EA game in years by the way and I agree with you absolutely that EA should be boycotted until they go bankrupt, but you are contradicting yourself in a paradox of hypocrisy. Or did I miss something?

• Melody says:

EA is bad.
          Their client (*from what I’ve heard*) works well, it does what it needs to do, doesn’t wipe your saves etc.
          I missed the part in which these two statements contradict one another. One is a moral/ethical judgement, the other is an assessment about the functionality of their product.

• Volcanu says:

Won’t you ride my white horse?

(Sorry.I’ll get my coat)

RaveTurned says:

The problem for Ubi/EA is that most PC gamers have already picked their DRM platform of choice, and it’s Steam. Anyone wanting to change that is about five years late to the party.

If either system wants to overcome that kind of inertia, they’re going to have to offer a consistently better user experience than Steam across the board, *and* a comparable game selection, *and* better prices. And the longer they leave it, the harder it’s going to be to turn that around.

Good luck with that guys.

• derbefrier says:

Yeah origin isn’t that bad. The only real annoyance is the store can run slow as hell and sometimes the download speeds can be slow but as a game launcher its works as well as steam. I don’t buy many EA games anymore but origin works well enough. It just gets extra hate being a EA platform.

• Cross says:

In Denmark, all three major upcoming Ubi games are still on the Steam storefront. This is looking like quite the hot mess.

3. Voice of Majority says:

Finland reporting. No sign of Far cry 4 or unity on Steam.

• instantcoffe says:

Ditto from Canada.

• SuicideKing says:

Same for India. Probably a worldwide pull from Steam.

EDIT: The games are back up on Steam again. I think we all just over reacted. lol.

• Meldreth says:

Whereas here in France, Unity is available on Steam, as well as Far Cry 4 and The Crew.

4. Viroso says:

I’m not one of those “if it ain’t on steam I ain’t buying type of people”. I happily hold an Origin account, for an instance, don’t see much problem with it.

But Uplay though. I went into it with no prejudices when I got From Dust for 1 dollar. I thought “eh, Steam or Uplay, DRM client is DRM client”. But it was so poopy. So poopy I’m glad I didn’t spend another dollar on another one dollar game.

5. blastaz says:

I preordered unity the week it came out on steam back in July. It stopped being viable for me from about August so I contacted steam in October and asked them about it and they gave me a full refund to my bank account rather than the steam wallet as they normally do so I could buy it from uplay.

Could anyone actually buy unity in the UK two weeks ago? I always got a not available in your region message…

• Seafort says:

As far as I know Far Cry 4 and AC Unity was removed from steam a few days after it was originally added.

There was a massive outcry about the price for UK/EU on steam forums but only the UK steam versions were removed till now.

Not sure if this is Valve ascertaining some kind of price control or Ubisoft removing them from steam themselves.

Either way they are gone from steam.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I have Crysis 2 in my steam library, i can download and play it, but it’s not in the shop anymore.

Translation: you probably could have safely kept your copies without issues.

6. thegooseking says:

It’s a really bizarre decision from any angle. This isn’t good for Ubisoft. I have heard it said that they want to increase prices beyond the Steam norm, which is… well… you don’t charge more than the market will support. That’s silly. They seem to believe that increasing the game’s price will make up for fewer people buying it, but that’s never going to be true.

I can understand wanting to increase the price of games. Over the past 20 years, game prices have risen at around half the rate of inflation, while dev costs have multiplied by an order of magnitude. Meanwhile, although the market’s grown, it hasn’t grown quickly enough to keep up with that disparity (and the market is also a lot more fragmented than it used to be, which doesn’t help the overcapitalised hit-driven model).

But that doesn’t take into account the nature of game prices. It’s not even about value; it’s how much you’re willing to gamble on the game being worthwhile. Since we’re talking about Ubisoft, let’s take Assassin’s Creed. I loved AC2, but I got bored of AC1 and Brotherhood some way in, and got bored of Revelations quite near the start. I haven’t played AC3 yet (though I own it) and haven’t bought Black Flag. Buying AC:Unity is a massive risk for me, because I might love it or might find it boring, and on previous form it’s impossible to tell. It doesn’t matter what the game is worth so much as it matters how much I’m willing to risk on it. If Ubisoft are pursing a policy of increasing prices (which they effectively are by not participating in Steam sales, regardless of whether the analysis I heard is true), they’re decreasing the chance that I’ll take a risk on the game, which is, let’s face it, not in their interests.

This is the thing that Steam understands that a lot of publishers (and even gog.com) don’t: buying a game is a risk for the customer. You are gambling money on whether or not you will enjoy something. The actual value of the game is secondary. Steam sales are not and never have been about reducing the price of a game to bring it in line with perceived value, because perceived value is not a thing that exists until after you’ve bought the game. Rather, they are entirely about encouraging purchases by reducing the risk of that purchase. Ubisoft seems to want no truck with that, because they don’t understand the risk – they just see product and consumer.

• Mokinokaro says:

Well, once Steam added CAD I noticed both Unity and FC4 jumped in price by 20$ It wasn’t an exchange thing, they just decided to price them the same as their console versions.

• jezcentral says:

Is it up to Valve what a publisher charges? I’m not sure it is. Not that I want prices to jump up, but I can sympathise with the argument that Valve shouldn’t be able to dictate prices.

• thegooseking says:

I’m not sure exactly how that works, whether it’s up to Valve or the publisher or what. I think the publisher recommends a price to Valve, but the final decision rests with Valve. I’m really not sure, though.

Regardless, it doesn’t look good for Ubisoft if their games cost so much more than everything else on the storefront. That puts them at a competitive disadvantage. It may be that they feel that moving away from direct comparison somehow reduces the effect of that.

• NotOscarWilde says:

It would be insanely cool if Ubisoft started a “Steam-free discount” on Uplay, stating “everything is 30% cheaper now because we don’t have to give that money to Valve anymore”. But I doubt they have the executive flexibility to do this.

• kevinspell says:

@ NotOscarWilde That won’t happen because retail stores won’t allow it and they are still to big to be ignored. They are the reason why digital is not cheaper than retail in the first place.

• P.Funk says:

Its their store though, their service. Whats the problem?

• Kempston Wiggler says:

Beautifully stated, Gooseking. I reckon you’ve hit the nail dead on. It also provides another good reason for Piracy: Piracy isn’t just about getting something for nothing as much as it is getting something for practically zero risk, avoiding buyer remorse. People don’t enjoy using their hard-earned only to be disappointed.

• Buffer117 says:

I don’t mean to be controversial, but I love the fact that we all talk about the PC being an open platform but then we are quite happy for steam to have the monopoly on delivery of games because of the convenience, and I totally include myself.

Steams dominance is great because valve seem to understand that keeping customers relatively happy and reducing risk by sale prices increases units shifted. But competition isn’t a bad thing and we don’t have an inherent right to a publishers game, but they will have to make us want to buy it on their terms.

Steam has total dominance, the only way ubisoft or EA can get us to use their systems is by making content exclusive. It’s a slight inconvenience to add a free client, it’s not as bad as having to buy a playstation to play uncharted or the last of us.

We genuinely have it so good on PC we have to moan about something!

• hjarg says:

Yes, competition is good. Steam is dominating but it’s not by far the only vendor there. But by removing your games from Steam, you are not encouraging competition. You are forcing your customer to user other (preferably Uplay) store to buy stuff. Removing one very good choice from me as a customer. And that is not good.

• SuicideKing says:

Competition would be more like hey, your client can sell our games (and doesn’t also need our client), our client can sell stuff you sell, but doesn’t need your client.

Right now, I think the pull is more because Origin and Uplay simply haven’t been seeing the same volumes as Steam has, or Valve simply gets tired of trojan store fronts after a point.

• silentdan says:

Ah, I’m not sure that’s really what’s happening here. While there’s broad support for Steam, and Steam comes up a lot in conversation because of its dominant position, it’s merely dominant, not a monopoly. Lots of people here buy from Humble, GoG, and Itch.io. A DRM-free catalog is valuable to me, so I buy from stores that offer that. Great sale prices are valuable to me, and so is a storefront backed by a large community of amateur reviewers & tech support folks. And Steamworks, and cloud saves, and a Friends list. Those are valuable to me, too, so I buy a lot of games from Steam.

Origin has a few free EA games from time to time, sure, but otherwise it’s just the EA store, trying to ape Steam without really knowing why. Most of the hate I read about Origin, and most of the hate I write about Origin, isn’t about preserving Steam’s so-called monopoly (it’s not a monopoly by any stretch of the imagination) but rather about criticizing Origin/EA. I, for one, want broad competition in the PC gaming industry. I also want Origin to go away forever. I don’t see any contradiction, there, because I’m not convinced that EA pulling their titles from all the other storefronts has done any favors for competition. If Stardock could sell their games through Steam as well as (their own in-house storefront) Impulse, then EA can do the same, and may the best storefront win. But everyone, including EA, knows that Valve’s is better and more entrenched, so EA’s never going to do that.

• Neutrino says:

“Over the past 20 years, game prices have risen at around half the rate of inflation, while dev costs have multiplied by an order of magnitude. Meanwhile, although the market’s grown, it hasn’t grown quickly enough to keep up with that disparity…”

Erm. GTA 4 grossed $500M in it’s first _week_. So I don’t think the notion that games income is not keeping up with costs holds water.

• thegooseking says:

Are you telling me a game in the third top-selling franchise of all time* sold a lot? I don’t believe it!

GTA4 is hardly a baseline; it’s an aspiration.

(*If you exclude Wii Sports, which I think has inflated numbers from being bundled with consoles.)

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I don’t agree. It’s not just about sales. I prefer GOG a lot because:
      -It’s DRM-free
      -I actually can download a game and have it work without being forced to run a client
      -GOG actually curate and allow easy ways for people to share their own opinions/reviews on a game

So regardless of sales, I’d say GOG does that a lot better than Steam, actually. I mean, how about those crappy games that didn’t even work properly and Valve didn’t do anything about it until they got a lot of flak? Or how Valve will rarely refund and can take all your games away from you if they so desire?

Now Steam is okay, but hardly perfect. Personally I only use it because I have to. GOG, on the other hand, is much more user-friendly to me.

• thegooseking says:

To be fair, I say gog.com doesn’t understand it because of what Guillaume Rambourg said, rather than because of anything GOG actually does. I’m not saying Steam is better than GOG or anything; just that this is a point it seems only Steam gets.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Just skip AC3 then and get AssFlag in the christmas sale!

7. frymaster says:

“Which seems a bit like making it yell “Hey! Over here! Look! You can use this thing! It has games!””

To be fair, it was a bit bonkers when, after you’d quit your game, you were taken back to the uplay client, but it only listed the game you’d launched in the game list. So it’s an understandable improvement.

Things are always a bit weird when a game uses one system for achievements and multiplayer (uplay, steamworks) but is available to buy on multiple online platforms. I think there’s at least one steamworks-using ubisoft game you can buy on uplay, so the same thing can happen the other way around, too.

8. Kempston Wiggler says:

I’m going to assume Ubishaft are blind to the irony of using a game named ‘Unity’ to promote game-store segregation, even if the game-clients themselves are now more closely linked.

Can’t say I blame them. These are top-draw titles. Makes sense to try and pull some revenue/attention away from the monolith that is Steam. Whether they’ll succeed is another matter entirely. Steam’s just too big and popular now.

I doubt they have the savvy to do the pricing like Steam does, either. They’ll stick to the ancient, cob-webbed model of charging a premium sum to lend the appearance of quality, pricing most people out of an purchase.

9. KDR_11k says:

As Jim Sterling would put it, “Ubisoft ubisofted”.

10. Cantisque says:

It’s a shame Ubisoft are so desperate to push people into their Uplay ecosystem that they feel the need to remove games from a competitor service. It’s been coming for a long time, they didn’t use Steam achievements or any other Steamworks features for most games (South Park being an exception because it was bought from THQ far on in development, and Blood Dragon for some unknown reason), the reason for this being to not give any incentive to use Steam over Uplay, then they forced Uplay onto every game regardless, and now finally we reach the point where they just stop publishing to Steam entirely. I’d be very interested to see how this affects PC platform sales as a whole for their major releases.

• Horg says:

When EA tried this it backfired spectacularly. I foresee PC sales tanking, Ubisoft press releases proclaiming the PC is a dead platform, then a policy U-turn once the published financial reports show how much market share Ubi have lost. The best thing that can come from this is Ubi eventually realise the folly of their ways and move to Steamworks.

• silentdan says:

I think abandoning Steam also hurts their advertising. If I don’t hear about it from Steam or RPS, I assume it’s console-exclusive and ignore it. Case in point, I once looked like an idiot because I thought Titanfall wasn’t even available on PC. Steam, GoG, Humble, and Itchio: if I don’t find you on one of those, you’re not getting bought. You can’t ditch PC gaming’s biggest community without ditching a lot of that community’s members, simply by falling off their radar. There are a lot of games out there, man. AAA studios aren’t our only choices these days; far from it.

11. thomashanauer says:

Well, chaps. Brazillian user here, reporting that they’ve gone from the Store here too.

What a shame. I was really looking forward to Far Cry 4, but I’m too attached to my Steam account to do so only on uPlay.

(As always for first comment, sorry for my english)

Edit (as 16:33, 07/11, local time): It appears Assassin’s Creeed Unity is again available to purchase.

12. HisDivineOrder says:

Coincidentally, Uplay was updated a day ago to function like Steam/Origin/Battle.net and minimize to tray. I expect that was the last piece in the puzzle before Ubisoft initiates Operation: Foggy Glass wherein they silently move all their new games to Uplay-only during the busy holiday season.

Gamers won’t notice until it’s too late and they’re knee-deep in Uplay games. By the end, they’re vaguely tolerating the BS.

13. San Pedro says:

I don’t see any of them on Steam in Japan either, which is disappointing because I’m really thinking about getting Far Cry 4… wait I’ll be able to buy it with my US CC for less money on the US site anyway.

14. bstard says:

Inquisitor’ed. Red Dwarf style.

15. Voice of Majority says:

So, to summarize: new Ubisoft games are gone from Steam in UK, US, Australia, Germany, Switzerland, Finland, Brazil and Japan. Sounds pretty global to me.

16. bill says:

I simply don’t want lots of clients on my rather slow old PC.
    I have no problem with everyone having their own client, as long as all games are available on all clients. That way we can each pick the one we like and install that one. That way we get price competition and hopefully they’re motivated to improve services.

And if my PC has to install 7 different clients then it’s going to kick the bucket.

• NotOscarWilde says:

> If each publisher only sells their games on their own store, that’s not competition.

Please keep in mind that each store you sell to has very strict restrictions on exclusivity. Do you think you can for instance sell your game on Steam and then sell it on your own site for 25% less because you give a 30% of Steam sales to Valve anyway? No way, Jose.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Seems to me that independent devs price their games however they want outside of Steam’s confines. How else would they be able to offer the occasional discount or sales special at their own websites?

basilisk says:

Yeah, but a client isn’t just for distribution; it’s not a mere launcher. No one is going to bother developing (and running the full suite of QA tests on) a Steamworks version, a Uplay version, an Origin version, a Galaxy version and whatever else comes up in the meantime. So either you get launchers launched through launchers (which experience shows people hate), or you just scratch all the layers that are unnecessary.

Ubi’s games have been getting increasingly reliant on Uplay connectivity for years as they’ve been slowly moving towards this “connected single-player” kind of model they’re using now. This move was quite inevitable, I’m afraid.

I’d be more worried about this if the awful Uplay store was the only way to purchase their games, but it’s not. Shopping around for Uplay keys is perfectly possible and by far the most economical option. Good old competition is still alive and kicking.

17. PopeRatzo says:

Chicago, USA. No Far Cry 4 or The Crew in Steam Store here.

KurtHectic says:

No AC: Unity or Far Cry 4 in Denmark either.

19. he-who-outthinks-empty-bottles says:

EA vs Valve:
    “was also about selling DLC directly without going through Valve”

This sounds too ambiguous. AFAIR it was about exclusivity: If a developer DLC-s they can sell it everywhere as long as they _also_ sell it on steam.

20. KiljoyMcCoy says:

funny though when you click on the “visit shop” link under “looking for games” in uplay it opens the shop on steam client with ubisoft as publisher

21. Nereus says:

Doesn’t bother me much. Since they’ve been cramming uplay down my throat I’ve reverted to my old ways of roaming the high seas from my bedroom.

My steam backlog is way too large for me to bother with AAA titles. I think I got bored of Far Cry 3 in 3-4 days. Worth the $7.50 I paid for it I suppose, but no way in hell am I paying upwards of $50 for a collection of moving images based on the Himalayas. I can get that on youtube, while the gameplay and store will almost certainly be nothing to write home about. Ass Creed is just worn out its welcome, should have stuck with the tropical island theme which at least offered video game tourism.

22. Biggus_Dikkus says:

No Unity and FC4 in Steam Israel also

23. rayo153 says:

They have dissapeared from the mexican store, too.

24. vikin says:

No AC: Unity or FC4 in steam belgium also

25. Philomelle says:

Confirming that they’re gone from the Russian Steam store as well.

Checking the new uPlay store, looks like it’s gone full Origin at this point. I’m pretty annoyed that it doesn’t allow me to pick the store language, but there is the good point where they allow me to pick which currency I’m using for purchases. Origin doesn’t do that, much makes using it annoying (I live in Ukraine and haven’t seen a Russian ruble in over five years, and I certainly don’t know the exchange rates).

It also seems they’ve learned their lesson from the incredibly trashy Russian Watch_Dogs release, which doesn’t allow you to pick any language except for Russian (thus annoying those of us who like to play the game in other languages). Baby steps, but important ones.

26. Professor Jelkington says:

Unity, Far Cry 4 and The Crew aren’t in the steam store in VA, USA also

27. islipaway says:

For me, I don’t care which platform is technically better. Steam IS PC gaming for me, my friends and have accounts, I have 100s of games on it and I participate in the forums and make a little money through the workshop as well as using the guides, reviews. It’s connected to the humble store so I can automatically add any good deals I get through that to my account – until this was the case I found humble awkward but now I use it all the time.

I have used origin a few times – to try the Titanfall free pass and the same for BF4, this is good functionality but it’s not embedded in pc gaming to the same extent. U-play is even worse, it’s ugly and it seems to serve no purpose other than get in the way of me and the game I want to play.

I don’t want to have to use a separate platform for one or two games, not matter how good it is, I don’t feel I get the same value from a game when it’s not on steam as there’s no linked in community content, I can’t see when my friends as playing it and if there’s modded content it’s much more awkward to get at. If it’s not on steam I either won’t play it or will get a pirate copy.

• faelnor says:

A few years back I decided that:
      1. I would only allow one gaming software platform to run on my computer;
      2. I could buy games from any store, as long as they provided either a direct download or a redeemable key for the above-named platform.

In retrospect, this was an excellent decision. Right now, I’m obviously using Steam — it has its shortcomings, incluing a locked, at times moronic interface and too much emphasis on the community aspects, but is clearly the best solution. I haven’t bought a single game that required Origin or Uplay. I have, on the other hand, bought plenty of games from the Humble Store or GOG.

I don’t care how fast or pretty EA and Ubisoft can make their client. I don’t care if they have amazing deals on there. I don’t care if it allows better multiplayer features. Above all else, I don’t care enough about any of their games to even consider installing a client for an exclusive title.

I will only consider it if it offers more games than Steam with a better interface. Until then, if these guys cared about people like me (I know they don’t), they’d offer an online store w/ direct download.

28. quarpec says:

good. fuck ubisoft

29. nojan says:

keep on digging ubi soft….

30. KiljoyMcCoy says:

I was excited about the crew cause i been wanting a good raceing game but now not sure i will get it.

31. XDravond says:

Just checked they are gone in Sweden to…

edit: Now they’re back … but I’ll still not going to part with $60 for them..

And I soo want all publishers different store “services” and please make them annoying and make sure I have to have it if I want to play your game no matter how I bought it… And do also make sure I can only my the publishers games on their own “services”… /s

32. sinner616 says:

FYI Unity and FC 4 are back in the Peruvian store

• iainl says:

Looks like they’re back everywhere.

Except the UK, still. Not that I’m willing to pay £50 for The Crew and then another £20 on top of that for the Season Pass required to get the good cars in a multi-player racing game.

33. kalirion says:

34. Chaoslord AJ says:

They are back in Germany for preorder, ACU and FC4 for 60€, Crew for 50€. Maybe a move to get you to preorder stuff before it disappears again.

35. suibhne says:

I’m a little confused by some of the responses. It’s more than fair to lament these titles being pulled from Steam due to concerns about price competition, sale discoverability, and so on…but in terms of user experience, this changes virtually nothing. Steam is nothing more than a pre-launcher-launcher for recent Ubi games right now, and it can continue to fill the exact same role if you simply add your Ubi games as third-party titles in your Steam library. The sole difference, logistically, is that UPlay will now manage all of your game updates instead of Steam. That’s it – the only change.

So…yeah, this isn’t a good move for consumers, in my view, since Ubi has been a stalwart in Steam sales and I suspect its titles will be less subject to downward sales pressure once removed from Steam. But from a UX perspective, there’s almost no change.

EDIT: All that said, AC:Unity, FC4, etc. are back on Steam (US) as of about ten minutes ago.

36. peterako1989 says:

If valve decided that enough is enough with Uplay, that would be something.

37. raskolnikov.mx says:

I see them back on the Steam store, checked both Mexico and US regions.

38. bonuswavepilot says:

Yep, they seem to have returned in Japan too.

39. racccoon says:

Its so wrongful, the presumption that STEAM should have any game that’s coming out, STEAM has a Monopoly. but it shouldn’t hold such a command!
    It should always be president that every game released or out there gives a choice to steam or not to steam?
    I only see it as a burden tool as I’m forced to use it in order to play some of my favourite games.

40. kaloth says:

Malaysia here. It’s gone from the whole SEA region on Steam. Not that I mind, as it was absurdly overpriced, but it would be nice if it comes back at some point with a thought to cost.