Let The Knights Of Pen & Paper Haunt Your Fall

WATCH OUT FOR DRACULA'S LAWYER BODYGUARDS!!

Nothing says ‘the week after Halloween’ like a spooky expansion for everyone’s favorite RPG-where-you-play-a-tabletop-RPG, Knights of Pen & Paper. As you might have already guessed, it includes people with pumpkins for heads, vampires, and locations like The Abandoned Dwarven Mall. In case you have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about, Knights of Pen & Paper is really quite swell. It has adventure. It has pizza. It has a Dungeon Master. It has Your Grandma perplexedly wielding a pretend magic sword.

Why? Because Grandmas are incalculably splendid, that’s why.

The game began life as a mobile game and has done pretty well for itself since then, finding Paradox Interactive as its almighty publisher. Adam’s got a more thorough rundown on what – what’s that? Oh, right. The actual news. In a nutshell: there’s loads more stuff to do and see now. Haunted Fall introduces more monsters, more items, more areas, more skills, and more jokes. Judging by the release trailer, some of that more-ness involves flaming skulls, well-heeled zombies, and… a shoddy-looking grandfather with a walker? Old age (and old people) are terrifying to some folk, I guess.

Additionally, it looks like a Witch class has been added to the existing ensemble of fantasy professions. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you if the job description mandates the growth of boils or the constant usage of cackles. It could go either way. All jokes aside, I loved Knights of Pen & Paper a lot, and you might too if you’re the sort who believes there’s never enough meta to go with your meta. Haunted Fall is available now for Windows and Mac. Keep £3.99 handy.

1. SquareWheel says:

Did they ever remove the pay-to-win nonsense from this game? Hard to take it too seriously when it comes off as a greedy mobile port.

• SkittleDiddler says:

It doesn’t help that the game looks and plays like it was put together in RPG Maker (or whatever other cruddy software people are using these days to make themselves think they are actual developers), with the side bonus of normally costing $10.

I can imagine the only reason Paradox picked up KoP&P was because they saw a clear way to attach their brand of DLC/microtransaction lunacy to yet another product.

• HidingCat says:

Never was pay to win. Just because there’s a cash shop doesn’t mean it’s one.

• Bassen_Hjertelos says:

Didn’t you know? All games with a real money shop in it is pay-to-win. I mean, eeeeeveryone knows that. Sheesh!

• jrodman says:

It is, though, pay to skip ahead. As in pay to avoid tedium.

• Yglorba says:

It totally was pay-to-win; the cash shop sold items that dramatically helped you advance, and my impression was that the game’s balance (if you kept playing) was glaringly set up to make it more and more frustrating to continue without the cash shop items. If that’s not pay-to-win, I don’t know what is.

But as I recall they did remove it from the PC version, yeah, after people kept complaining; the cash shop items are now bought with in-game currency instead. That’s worth something.

2. Jac says:

Hopefully there will be an English translation of this game at some point :P

Been meaning to give this a shot for a while but have read it’s pretty grindy?

• samobile says:

Not so much grindy, as there’s no necessity to repeat in order to progress, just very very samey, as in the same thing over and over and over. Combat seems too fundamentally unchallenging to me, it’s just a treadmill of battles to sleepwalk through. Once the charm of the references to pop culture wears off there’s not much left.

• jrodman says:

“Grandma”? Or other things too?

• Jac says:

“Fall” was the one I was going for. Annoys me every time. Poor sweet Autumn :(

• jrodman says:

Oh, I remain perennially culturally blind to this one. No matter how many times I learn it, I forget again.

3. HidingCat says:

The only thing that made me slightly disappointed was that the conceit of having players RP characters seem to fall to the wayside very quickly and it becomes a slightly grindy (not very unless you’re aiming for very specific things) turn-based RPG.

4. Shardz says:

I really like the feel and vibe of this game; however, Paradox always finds a way to flood their games with a deluge of endless DLC. As it stands now, the Android version boasts a $7 price tag and counting. I have so many other great games for that platform with endless game play under the $2 mark that it’s difficult to justify what they will be throwing at us in the future.

• Bassen_Hjertelos says:

Don’t you think the price tags of mobile games are ridiculously low? I have no problem paying 5-10 £ for a an Android game. A £2 price tag would need some pretty significant sales numbers to go in the green, me thinks.

• Yglorba says:

It has a high price tag and has in-app purchases that are fairly vital to the late game. (As in, stat bonuses, extra currency, etc.)

I’m all for games trying to find new ways to make money, since I know they have to do it somehow; but this one felt like it had a vaguely clever idea and look that was immediately lost under design and balance centered around getting you to use the cash shop.

I think part of the problem with microtransactions is that if they’re done badly, they constantly snap the player out of their suspension of disbelief and send the message “yeah, this is just about getting your money.” It shouldn’t do that, maybe (I do believe that there was a decent amount of love that went into this game, and, again, it’s totally fair that they want to earn a living doing what they love), but… it does, at least for me. I can’t enjoy a game that’s constantly pressuring me to take out my wallet while playing.

• jrodman says:

Would it work better if the game somehow could interact with a pre-populated wallet (reusable across games)?

Like in Gritty RPG 5 playing very efficiently you might not need any funding, but when you find yourself starved for funds you go see Crazy Uncle Lou who happens to be loaded. But those funds actually come out of your Steam Wallet, or similar?

I’m not sure if I’d like that or not, but it MIGHT be less immersion breaking?

5. JamesTheNumberless says:

I really wanted to like this game because it seems charming. At first it is, however it quickly settles down into probably the most repetitive and meaningless grind I’ve ever experienced :( Also as someone above cheekily pointed out, the English localization is terrible.