The RPS Bargain Bucket: November Expenditure

Hello! This has been a rather strange week. It started with being in transit for about 40 odd hours, and ended with a volley of newswriting for RPS. (This may happen again soon. Maybe. We’ll see.) In between, I lost my wallet and started writing about polygamy in the Song Dynasty, and continued my interactive fiction piece for Choice of Games. My brain is sizzling. Slightly. The smoke wisping out of my ears has dulled to threads. While I recuperate from the week, have this bucket of bargains and the tiniest, awesome-st hedgehog this side of the hemisphere. I am taking name suggestions!

Metro 2033
FREE! FREE! FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
The biggest find this weekend, of course, is Metro 2033. Hands down, this will be the cheapest you will ever find this game. How much does it cost? Nothing. Nothing at all. Zip. Zilch. Zero. It’s certainly worth grabbing if you have a fondness for survival horror, and first-person shooters based in post-apocalyptic Russia. I can’t really decide if I like this or its sequel better, but both games come highly recommended. Like all other titles, they have their faults, but the moody atmosphere and the perpetual sense of tension may make up for those inadequacies.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
$1.99 /£1.39/€1.79
Military simulation games aren’t my jam, unless they involve alien invaders and mechas. But Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising could very well be your jam, or your peanut butter. (Or even jelly, but know we’re just splicing semantics here.) Regardless of where you stand on that sandwich divide, here’s the game going for 80% off. It is based on a fictional conflict on an island somewhere, with the protagonist taking the role of a US soldier fighting against Chinese forces. (I feel slightly dirty commending this, now.) Anyway. The main hook here is, apparently, its adherence to realism. How true is that? I don’t know. But you, Buckeeters, can tell me. (Right?)

Borderlands 2: Game of the Year
$13.59/£11.89/€13.59
Oh, Borderlands 2. How I’ve written about thee. It feels like just yesterday I was pointing people to you, raving about your range of artillery, your marked-down price tag. I love you, I honestly did. I spent far too many hours hanging out on Pandora because of you. Er, flights of fancy aside, I feel like I should point out that Borderlands 2: Game of the Year is, for the umpteenth time, on discount yet again. I adored it passionately, and while I’d love to be able to tell you if it’s any better than Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, I’ve yet to play the latter. Yes, I have run out of clever things to say about Borderlands 2. (Used most of them up a few months ago.) No, I am not ashamed. (Don’t forget the NOVEMB-ERGMGX-20XOFF code!)

Endless Legend: Founder Edition
$22.49/£14.17/€18.06
Endless Legend is possibly the only game I’ve purchased after binging on its trailers. Science fantasy has quickly become one of my favorite genres recently, and Endless Legend fits the bill. In case you haven’t read all too much about it, Adam’s got a low down on this 4x strategy game which features Dust vacumm robot people, manic cultists, and humans attempting to make sense of a long-dead civilization’s technology. Some people even think that it is better than Civilization: Beyond Earth, although that may be a matter of personal taste. Either way, this is the cheapest this lovely has been, I believe. But buyer beware, Steam Christmas sale is on its way so you may want to hang onto those dollar bills.

Also of note:

The Journey Down – $0.70/£0.50/€.60
The Journey Down is probably one of the first few adventure games I reviewed at the start of my career, and I’ve enjoyed it tremendously. More than that, I think I’ve enjoyed watching them take the game apart and build it again in an engine of their own. There’s a lot of love in The Journey Down, even though it hasn’t really crashed into the mainstream. Character designs are based on African tribal masks, in case anyone is wondering why the entire cast is disconcertingly eyeless.

Bedlam – $9.99/£6.29/€8.02
I’m curious about Bedlam. Much of it has to do with the fact it is based on a novel by what appears to be a popular fellow. It also looks like it borrows from everything that the shooter genre holds dear, fillings its game world with skeletal faces and pixelated graphics. Someone in the comments called it a “history of first person shooters meets a sort of Tron/reboot story.” I’m okay with this. You? (Note, this is still in Early Access and, as such, is not very long.)

1. eggy toast says:

Endless Legend was $7 (even in Europe) last month through IGN Prime and Metro 2033 has been 100% free before

Also by the time there is content in the Borderlands 3 season pass, BL2 with tons of DLC will be $20 so if you don’t own it now might as well wait for Xmas.

• Ryuuga says:

Speaking of content, how much do you get with these 4 campaigns included with the BL2 GOTY? Are they long and meaty? Or at least medium-ish and well made, like Zombie Island of Dr Zed?

• lomaxgnome says:

The Tiny Tina DLC is widely considered to be one of the best DLC ever made for any game. The others have a decent amount of content but some of it is designed for high level repeated group grinding, which really isn’t my thing. At this point, if you don’t already own BL2, the GotY edition is definitely the way to go.

• Ryuuga says:

I do own it, but was thinking perhaps to shell out for these DLC campaigns, to get a bit more to play. All in all, this sounds pretty good, then. I was just a bit skeptical seeing as the quality of DLC campaigns in BL1 was a bit uneven. Some of it was great, some not so great.

• grundus says:

Borderlands 2 is pretty much the same. The first DLC is alright, the second is a bit better, the third is awful and the fourth is amazing. The thing is they all add new stuff like the Seraph currency and gear, Torgue Tokens (i.e. 100% chance of getting an Unkempt Harold), new raid bosses and all that so if you can stomach running through the missions once (I’ve played a lot of Borderlands 2 but never could make myself finish the Hammerlock DLC) then there’s probably more fun in them after that. But it’s the same deal as Borderlands in that the DLC, except the last one, were developed by not-Gearbox.

• Ryuuga says:

Hmmm. Yeah that kinda puts me back on the fence, then. Still, Tiny Tina was one of the really fun characters. Almost worth it just for that DLC campaign, seeing as it seems to be one of the good ones.

Offtopic, but as for BL1.5, I have to say I’m gonna hold of buying until there’s a heavily rebated GOTY..

• fish99 says:

It was…. alright. I can definitely think of better DLCs like General Knoxx or the DLC for Dark Souls. Also if like me you found it odd that the game suddenly went all mushy about the arbitrary death of one of it’s one-dimensional characters, you might have found it quite annoying. Honestly by the end of a huge campaign and 4 long story DLCs BL2 had more than outstayed its welcome, to the point where I can’t face playing the Pre-sequel.

• Ryuuga says:

Yeah the writing in Borderlands 2 was all over the place. Sometimes it was fun (Tiny Tina & Scooter), mostly it was ok (Hammerhock, Zed, Claptrap…), and some of it made me turn off voiceover audio (Handsome Jack constantly sending voice mail regarding how he is an annoying twat).

And yeah. Handsome Jack being the focus of Borderlands 1.5 does not exactly sell it to me either. I don’t get making such an unlikeable, unfun guy the focus of not just one, but two games. Borderlands 1 did better here, mainly in just being lighter on story / voiceover. Not all games need to focus on story..

Anyway, I still played both games a lot, so obviously they’re doing something right, too.

• malkav11 says:

I think the more important question is whether BL2’s DLC commits the same cardinal error that all of the BL1 DLC did, which is to have only a single spawn point so that you either complete it in one sitting or have to deal with fighting through the entire DLC’s population every time you come back to it.

• lowprices says:

I have only played Captain Scarlett and Torgue, but both of those have multiple fast travel points.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

My GF picked up Endless Legend last week and loves it to bits…or she did until a fairly serious bug appeared. She’d gotten to around turn 400 when the game suddenly refused to load the most recent saves, or progress to the next turn on older ones.

Their forums have a few people in the same boat but no solution has appeared as yet (that I’ve found). It’s a wonderful game – it really is – but we’re now in the position of waiting for a patch before committing to any new games of it. Buyer be wary.

• lomaxgnome says:

Interesting, thanks for the tip. I set my current game to only run 300 turns, so hopefully that won’t be an issue. I do have occasional crashing which seems to relate to autosaves, but it loads back up pretty quickly. I’m about 8 hours in (120 turns or so) and I’m totally loving it, more than any game in the genre in a long time.

2. Scumbag says:

That bucket looks similar to the Ubisoft logo.

3. Vandelay says:

“But buyer beware, Steam Christmas sale is on its way so you may want to hang onto those dollar bills.”

Steam (as well as other places) often do sales over Black Friday, do they not? Which is nice, as it lets all of us from the whole globe take part in that American tradition. Unfortunately, there isn’t normally people I can shove over and stamp on between me and my computer.

So, expect sales to be before Christmas.

• lomaxgnome says:

The Steam “fall” sale over Thanksgiving weekend has the same base sales as the winter sale and many of the headline sales (publishers set prices that run the same for both sales), and it should be less than two weeks away.

4. bill says:

Free games are the new bundles. I think I got 2 today, 3 last week, and about another 3 in the few weeks before that.
    Is this a sustainable business model I wonder..

• Heliocentric says:

Star Trek’s Federation says yes.

• LionsPhil says:

What was the other one today?

• bill says:

Little Big Adventure on GOG. It might only have been today because of time differences… don’t know if t’s still going.

• djbriandamage says:

Game giveaways are followed by spikes of sales due to word of mouth. Let us know what you’ve enjoyed and we’ll be encouraged to buy them!

• eggy toast says:

Metro 2033 has a sequel AND a remake already released (the sequel has a remake, even) so it’s really kind of a back catalog item to make into a freebie anyway. Like when they gave out Portal 1 and L4D1 for free.

• Jalan says:

You mean Left 4 Dead 2. A gift copy of the first has been included in a few deals, but none of them free/0 cost.

Edski says:

I love that hedgehog so so much. Perhaps he could be called Oprickulus, or even Spikules?

I’m more of a comment reader than a comment poster, but I love hedgehogs, so I’ll break my silence. I spent a good day sitting with a sick hedgehog in my parents’ garden when I was about five or six, and trying to feed and water the poor little bugger. Sadly it did no good, and I cried my eyes out when it went to its spiny maker. Still brings a tear to my eye, and a hearty conviction that all hedgehogs should be well named.

6. Durandir says:

“Wolfenstein: The New Order” is also 50% off on Steam. Got it yesterday, played through the opening chapter today. So far it is pretty damn awesome.

7. omegakill says:

Operation Flashpoint even cheaper here: link to simplycdkeys.com

Not very good that RPS isn’t looking very hard to give their readers better deals..

• Cassandra Khaw says:

Oh, I saw. The response to me using simplycdkeys last week suggested that many would rather keep to the straight and narrow. O_o so I did. *le shrug*

Aerothorn says:

And we do! People who want to use CD key resellers can always hit up SavyGamer.

• LionsPhil says:

I’m now trying to imagine an absurdist extreme in which the Bargin Bucket is no-holds-barred about the cheapest way to get games, and becomes a summary of recent torrent uploads.

Riccochet 2
          2TB/9,001 seeders
          I asked the hivemind for opinions about this, because Graham was going to do a WIT about it a couple weeks ago but then mysteriously vanished. Jim took over in his absence, only to start responding only in iambic pentameter about squirrels. To everything. John just vibrates when we mention it. Alec and Adam combined into their ultimate form and left for the moon. And Alice has only been seen as glimpses in mirrors since the private beta. My download is 93% complete. Wish me luck, bucketers.”

• thedosbox says:

link to rockpapershotgun.com

The number of times this topic keeps on popping up makes me wonder if these sites are sending out shills as cheap advertising.

• Melody says:

The sad thing is that people accuse her to both include them in the BB and to leave them out.
        All with that “I’m better than you” attitude, also shared by people who think Cass hasn’t included the obvious Steam Weekend Deal because she hasn’t seen it/doesn’t know about it.

• Jalan says:

A lot of people like to accuse and some do so based solely on the recollections of others’ experiences and not their own. While others just immediately assume that every site is exactly like that one crummy site that has more to do with gold chains and track suits than it does allocating proceeds to game developers or publishers in exchange for somewhat cheaper prices on redemption keys.

As she’s opting against including deals on those types of sites going forward it doesn’t really matter anyway, but if it were continuing onward then it’d only be fair to have balances in how some random individual had a crappy experience with ___ seller whether or not they had a mix of positive and negative toward their overall reputation (which certainly could be applied to any of the major players like Steam, Origin, etc).

• kwyjibo says:

They don’t “send out shills”. They have an affiliate program.

See Omegakill’s link? See the ?awc= bit? If you buy from that link, he makes money.

8. Kefren says:

I still have a free copy of Magrunner Dark Pulse [needs a GOG account] for the first person who wants it. Just email me, aquapotator [special symbol] gmail.com

9. Frank says:

This Bedlam game sounds curiously like BEDLAM, which I just backed on Kickstarter. I hope mine wins the inevitable trademark battle!

10. RedViv says:

Buy Bedlam, the Brookmyre book, read it, and THEN play Bedlam, the game based on the book.
    It’s worth it for sci-fi/cyberpunk/transhumanist fiction folks with a love of games. Which I guess might not be too rare here.

11. Golden Pantaloons says:

Diiinsdaaaale… DIIINSDAAAAALE!

12. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Metro 2033 being given out for free really rubs it in for me for buying it twice. (I bought it on Gamergate, then before I even registered the Steam key I bought it again on the THQ Humble Bundle.)

13. Dave Tosser says:

It really isn’t difficult to be better than Beyond Earth.

14. kalirion says:

Doujin 3 bundle is still around with some nice stuffs.

15. Samwise Gamgee says:

I have been having a huge amount of fun with WRC Powerslide. It’s available now with 2 other games for $1

link to humblebundle.com