Winning The War For The Nazis: Blitzkrieg 3

I’ve grown weary of the repetition and lack of ambition that underpins the current state of both Men of War and King’s Bounty. Blitzkrieg 3 offers an answer to my tiredness: first, in that it’s a long-dormant strategy series with a different take on the well-tread battlefields of World War 2; second in that it’s by Nival, the studio which makes King’s Bounty, returning to the series that first made their name. It’s also ambitious in that it’s aiming to pair its singleplayer campaign with a free-to-play multiplayer component with “optional subscription” that sounds a little like competitive tower defense. Huh!

To find out whatever that means you’ll need to turn to this interview with the game’s executive producer Sergey Orlovskiy. In it he mentions interesting features like the persistent development of both units and bases, and that the multiplayer battles will be asynchronous.

Basically the Blitzkrieg 3 multiplayer mode consists of two parts – unhurried building of your defences and attacking your opponents in fast-paced battles. You’ll be choosing the different landscapes for your bases, according to your preferred defensive style, constructing production buildings and fortifications, mines, anti-tank hedgehogs, barbed wire, and reinforcing it with your defensive military units.

While attacking you’ll try to break through other player’s AI-controlled defences to capture their base and resources, applying various units and tactics to solve the brain-teaser they have left for you.

There are a bunch of videos of the game through at the game’s site, including a series introducing the game’s various features. Here’s the first part, which chatters a little about base-building in that asychronous multiplayer mode while showing glimpses of the game.

The payment model is less clear at this stage, as the interview mentions that the game will have “paid single-player campaigns with free multiplayer, where you can purchase individual missions or an optional subscription via a premium account for all single player campaigns. There will be no micro-transactions.”

I just remembered why we didn’t cover this last time! It’s because Blitzkrieg is the series Mark was always playing in Peep Show and every time I come to write about the game I spend 30 minutes looking for the clip of him saying “winning the war for the Nazis.” Then I can’t find it, become discouraged, and wander off to the kitchen to find something comforting. It just happened again right now. Here’s the only relevant clip I could find that would play in my country:

1. sinister agent says:

Ooh, this is interesting. I tried several times to get into Blitzkrieg years back, but it was just too arbitrary and repetitive (every mission seemed to be functionally identical, and winning required abusing the AI and hoping there were no random lucky tank shots). Once I’d played Men of War I gave up on ever trying Blitzkrieg again because it had clearly rendered it obsolete.

So um… rambling anecdotes aside, seeing it revitalised is really encouraging. Despite my complaints, it always felt like with a little improvement it could be excellent. And even if it falters, the competition could drive both series on.

2. Anthile says:

I’m gonna be today’s That Guy: I’m pretty sure Nival only did some King’s Bounty online spin-off. The first game and Armored Princess were developed by Katauri (who also did Space Rangers). The two soulless sequels after that were made by some 1C subsidiary.

• Chris Cunningham says:

They did do Heroes of Might and Magic V though, which is unanimously known as the best game in the entire KB/HOMM franchise (especially on RPS).

• piedpiper says:

“which is unanimously known as the best game in the entire KB/HOMM franchise”

Best in HOMM franchise? You must be joking or have no idea what you are talking about.

• AdrianWerner says:

Yep. Weird to see Nival being mentiined for KB, when they have so many great games of their own..Silent Storm, Etherlords, Evil Islands…

3. SlimShanks says:

Anti-tank hedgehogs sound nice, but I still prefer the combat wombat.

4. XhomeB says:

What’s worrying to me is their goal to sell the SP campaigns as DLCs… I just fear their quality won’t be as high as I’d like as a result.
    Really loved the first Blitzkrieg – you had your army, it gained experience, was carried from mission to mission, each level allowed you to use your units as you wished (even artillery). And then Blitzkrieg 2 came… and wow, it ruined everything. The gameplay was unnecessarily sped up, felt very Starcraft-y almost, you could lose a lot of units with no repercussions, the missions felt very limiting and scripted. Bleh.

By the way, what was Nival up to since HoMM V? Where’s my Silent Storm 2?

5. Lytinwheedle says:

Finally, Nival are making a proper game again. It’s been years since they made the excellent Blitzkrieg 1 and Silent Storm, then they went off on a tangent, sold out, and vanished from existence for a couple of years.

Welcome back.

Phasma Felis says:

The description of the multiplayer sounds suspiciously identical to the shitty pay-to-win phone game Clash of Clans and its ten kabillion knock-offs.

• AdrianWerner says:

The set up for Clash of Clans-like game (or rather Backyard Monsters, which Clash of Clans cloned) is actually very fun. What kills those games is F2P and shitty non-interactive combat. So it would be nice to see somebody take the idea and make an actual game with it instead of microtransactions vending machine

7. diffsky says:

I loved playing Sudden Strike. When that was no longer supported, Blitzkrieg 2 filled a gap. I know just how Mark feels…
    link to youtube.com

I’ll also say I’m not keen on the 3D here, I just prefer the old pixel graphics. I never liked settlers 3 (but loved settlers 2) for the same reason.

8. Neutrino says:

“Like The Castle Doctrine but with Nazis, then. Also the Soviets and Allies, as the other playable factions.”

The ‘faction’ the allies fought during WWII was the Germans, not the Nazis, for the same reason that it was Soviets that were our allies and not the Communists.