To The Moon Devs’ A Bird Story Now Flapping About

Just push it off and be done with it.

John probably wants you to cry at A Bird Story, you realise. He’s spoken before about his sinister habit of extracting confessions of tears from people who played To the Moon, and surely he’s got something more devious planned for the not-sequel. A Bird Story launched on Friday, and I would recommend that you first check your play area for e.g. funnels concealed in the surface of your desk connected to tubes which vanish out through your wall and underground to barrels in John’s lachrymose lair. The very setup is dangerously tearjerky: a boy finds a bird with an injured wing.

Developers Freebird Games call it an “interactive pixel-animation … told through a dialogue-free blend between reality and imagination.” This is the extent of my knowledge, having not played it yet and not wanting to poke around lest I learn too much. Maybe the bird dies. Or the boy dies. Or they both die. Or the bird gets better and flies away and it fills the boy with hope. Or the boy dies and it turns out his dying thought was a tragic dream about dying together with a poorly pigeon because even that was more hopeful than anything in his whole miserable life.

A Bird Story is £2.69 DRM-free on GOG, £3.39 on Steam, or the Humble Store give both a DRM-free version and a Steam key for £3.39. It’s on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Bluerps says:

I played it on Saturday and I liked it a lot. My face might have been wet at some point, but I’m sure that’s unrelated.

Something about it reminded me of Castles In The Sky though I’m not sure what, because they are not really similar games. Maybe it is that they are both stories about the dreams of a little kid.

• Zyx says:

CASTLE IN THE SKY!

I was wondering why I got a strong Miyazaki vibe from this trailer.. I just couldn’t place it. Thanks, man.

Bluerps says:

That’s actually not what I meant. :)

There might actually be a tiny bit of Miyazaki in the game, but I meant “Castles in the Sky” (note the plural). See, for example, here: link to rockpapershotgun.com

• Zyx says:

Aw :/

Maybe I should just google it instead of beating my brain up trying to recall. Nah, nostalgia is fun.

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Darn it. I loved TTM to bits. My wife had to console me at the end – but I was inconsolable.

Looking forward to getting back to my PC and crying over this game, then.

Hope Mr Walker does the right thing and tells us how moist his eyes got after playing this. Games that make us cry are far too rare…

Thirith says:

I was underwhelmed by To The Moon, so I think I’ll give this one a miss, at least until I’ve read a number of reviews. When it comes to tear-inducing games, I don’t quite seem to be on the same wavelength as John, I’m afraid. He’d probably scoff at my liking of Dear Esther.

• Ross Angus says:

I violently agree with you. My eyes still go all blurry at the end of Dear Esther, and To The Moon left me indifferent. I still trust John, though.

3. RuySan says:

Dear RPS,

Can you please say something about the Wings remake? I’m on the fence on buying it, and i need your wise words to help me with that decision.

Sorry for the off-topic.

RuySan

4. Melody says:

I’ve written a mini-review (spoiler-free!) of the game over at the RPS forum, if you’re interested in knowing a bit more about it. It’s not much but still.

link to rockpapershotgun.com

5. Monggerel says:

Look at the birdie!

6. Bodylotion says:

To The Moon is an amazing game, I wonder if this game got that same emotional attachment to it.

7. melnificent says:

To the moon caused more than a few tears in our household. I was only allowed to play when my daughter wasn’t at school as she was heavily invested in the story.

But everything’s alright…. link to youtu.be

8. whoknows says:

the only thing that made me cry about To The Moon was the control scheme. Woof.