Assassin’s Creed Rogue Gets A Leapy Launch Trailer

The aftermath of the pillowfight was surprisingly intenseThere’s a new Assassin’s Creed Rogue trailer. Technically it’s a launch trailer but only in the sense that consoles exist and are getting a timed exclusive window in which their owners can gad about on rooftops and enjoy the power of eagles before the game saunters over to PC in early 2015 and is all:

“Hey you! Fancy some overly showy leaping and boats also?”

And you’ll be like:

“Did they have boats in the French Revolution?”

“What? No. You’re thinking of Unity, I’m ROGUE!”

“Are you sure you’re not misspelling Rouge? As in ‘Rouuuuuuge, the blooood of angry meeeeeeen…’? That would be a good name for a game involving stabbing in the French Revolution”

“Three things. One: Les Miserables takes place about thirty years after the French Revolution. Two: Those aren’t even the lyrics – it’s ‘red’. Three: Shut up.”

“Whatever. Tell me about Rouge, then.”

“Rogue.”

“That’s what I said.”

“I’m a sequel to Black Flag. After a dangerous mission gone tragically wrong, Shay Patrick Cormac – a fearless young member of the Assassin Brotherhood – turns his back on the Assassins who, in response, attempt to end his life. Cast aside by those he once called brothers…”

“Are you reading that off the official site? YOU ARE AREN’T YOU?”

“I refer you to point three of my previous statement.”

“I knew it.”

“Look. I’m set in North America, there are boats, and you become an Assassin hunter.”

“That actually sounds… potentially interesting. I can’t stand those Templar dudes.”

“Finally!”

“I have one more question.”

“…Yes?”

“I’m reading about the weaponry. What the hell is a Puckle gun?”

“It’s like a flintlock revolver on a tripod.”

“Nice.”

Assassin’s Creed Rogue is out today on consoles and in early 2015 on PC. Looks like Ubi have done that thing of not providing advance copies for review – so often a good sign – meaning we can’t get a feel for whether the game is actually any good yet. Ah well, our console friends can spend the next two months functioning as a lovely gaming canary for us.

1. 2late2die says:

It’s a shame that a seemingly interesting twist on the usual asscreed story gets shoved into an almost throw away game – a cash grab to simply make sure there’s one more asscreed game on the old gen consoles.
    Don’t get me wrong, it may turn out to be a decent game, but at best it will be a polished version of black flag, i.e. more of the freaking same. Now, I enjoyed black flag immensely, but the assassiny stuff has worn thin quickly, and the ship stuff, while was very very cool initially, by the end of it did start getting stale. I tried playing the expansion, but just grew bored very quickly despite the also seemingly novel twist on the story.

So yeah, I really wish Ubisoft would get the nerve to really shake up the series, with something properly new and novel. Rogue is definitely not that and even Unity doesn’t seem to be doing much envelope pushing. Maybe the next one.

2. Hex says:

It seems weird to release 2 AssCreed games on the same day. Isn’t that like Ubi competing with themselves?

james.hancox says:

Different consoles. Rouge is on 360 and PS3, Unity on XBone and PS4.

• woodsey says:

Far Cry 4 is also out next week. All seems a tad silly.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

And Inquisition, which might actually work. If it does, it’ll surely demand a hefty chunk of time, so i’m not exactly sure what’s the sense in all of this.

Now, when it comes to both AssCreeds it might be just a tactic to give something to the old gen aswell as the last cash grab in a critical time frame, but for all the others i honestly have no idea how any of this could work without all the parties involved suffering to a degree.

*prepares the summoning ritual for the “intelligent answer-bot”*

• xavdeman says:

Inquisition is a EA game, not Ubi.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I’m aware of that, but that doesn’t change the fact that they could adjust their release windows a bit, but they didn’t.

It’s not like they can’t do that, especially nowadays, as you simply need to state that you pushed it back 3 weeks becase * Random PR * and you actually get good PR points aswell.

• AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

No, unless you’re going against a CoD-sized giant, you want to release your big games at the same time the competition releases their big games. This way each person your market hooks may be one person less for your competion to hook.

• NotToBeLiked says:

The idea is that people see AC advertising, go to the shop and get “that new AC game” for the platform they play on, be it XB1/PS4 or XB360/PS3. It saves on advertising and will get people to buy their game.

• Anthile says:

It’s just a marketing ploy so they can advertise future Assassin’s Creed games as roguelike.

3. drumcan says:

Maybe they’ll actually spend the time between the PC release and now optimizing the game. Black Flag wasn’t nearly pretty enough to run as badly as it did.

4. Criv says:

Looks like a fun game but my god – I thought after the Saboteur we’d reached a low point in racist stage Irish accents. This one is even worse. Not sure I’ll be able to enjoy this :(

(Also, Cormac is a bizarre surname for an Irish character – not made better by his fullname being “Shay Patrick Cormac” :P)

• OliverM says:

Ah here, it’s a terrible Irish accent, but not a racist one (Irishman here).

• Criv says:

Also Irish. The intent isn’t (it’s just someone thinking the Irish sound like that and skimping research), but that bad accent is rooted in 1800s stage play caricatures of the Irish as feckless drunken illiterates.

Unfortunately that’s what people now think we sound like unless they’ve met Irish people. It’s basically like someone saw blackface and now can’t understand black people aren’t wearing shoe polish. ;)

• Faxanadu says:

“Not sure I’ll be able to enjoy this :(”

What? Of course you can’t. You can’t enjoy it, because you can’t buy it! You can’t buy a racist game. Or do you like to support racism? Are you a racist?

I’m not a racist but I can still buy it. Because my ‘common sense’ superpower enables me to do loads of things without being racist. It’s amazing!

• Criv says:

Or I could be an Irishman going ‘oh god that accent is going to distract the hell out of me’, and your mockery a little out of place…

• Faxanadu says:

You could – but you didn’t.

• Criv says:

Read it again ;)

• Faxanadu says:

Nope ‘racist’ still there.

• Criv says:

oh wow. That word being your hang up is …kind of depressing on so many levels.

Look, it’s an accent that doesn’t *really* exist and comes from stage caricature of my nationality as drunken, violent, cowardly and stupid in 18th and 19th century England. Like it or not, racist is an accurate description even when it’s not the intent. It’s just a pity that it’s spread as the stereotypical Irish accent now.

That said, it doesn’t mean I’m out banging my drum about boycotting the game or something. It just means that, like playing the Saboteur, I’m probably not going to be able to get much joy out of this game before I can’t stand the accent any longer. Pity as it looks like it’d be fun otherwise.

Basically, try and develop some empathy mate.

• Faxanadu says:

What’s depressing is the modern trend of taking the word ‘racist’ and bending it to any purpose imaginable, being fully aware that nobody can argue because ‘racist’ is inexcusably evil.

In the western world, ‘racism’ means evil discrimination that can not be tolerated. You define racism as “okay but I’ll probably enjoy it less”. Sorry, like it or not that definition for racism will not fly ANYWHERE and should you continue to use it you will get into discussions like these. Feel free to disagree with my assessment, only time will tell you which of us define the word better. (And believe me, I would love to define racism like you do, but it’s just not even close.)

• Criv says:

That’s just a lovely way to let yourself off the hook. There is no ‘this big to ride’ to racism.

Look up micro-aggressions if you want a good explanation of why the little things may not be the straw that breaks the camel’s back but do actually matter.

Hell, you might even find some of the descriptions surprisingly similar to this conversation we’ve been having. The whole “don’t make a fuss over nothing” thing. ;)

• Faxanadu says:

Then call it micro-aggression. Call it overblown, overkill, stupid, caricatured, you’ve got options. Little things matter, never said you’re making a fuss out of nothing. Little things also matter with words – ‘racist’ is a big word. Have fun with adapting your “it’s okay but” racism with the more common meaning of the word, aka intolerable evil.

What I really think is that you’re purposely using it to reinforce your argument, because it’s a cheap way to make your opinion more right than it is, relying on the shock value of the word.

Anyway, I guess we’ve exhausted this convo.

• Criv says:

I do not think you are getting this…Microaggression is a form of racism (one that has academic studies done on it since the 70s). Racism isn’t some cartoon devil that possesses people and makes them evil – it’s something that gradually erodes the idea that all people are fundamentally equal until such time as those horrible intolerable acts …kind of seem tolerable.

Now, I’m willing to assume you probably haven’t experienced it so lets put it in perspective: how would you feel if practically every American, Brit or Canadian you’ve met has immediately felt the urge to do a stage version of your accent (which I’ll reiterate originates from a pretty racist depiction), and probably crack some stupid jokes or use some “native” phrases? Hundreds of them. Would you write off all of them? Or would you be resigned to it? You’d grow resigned to it – you can’t change it so you live with it.

Now imagine that practically without fail, the same “native” phrases and accent is pretty much universal throughout any media depiction of your nationality. Sometimes along with the same horrible stereotypes attached alongside for good measure. Do you write off media and live in a hole? No, you grow resigned and live with it. Otherwise you never watch or play anything at all.

That’s what I mean about not being able to get much enjoyment out of the game. It’s not that it’s magically “ok but somehow racist” – it’s that it’s nothing new for me to encounter it. I’ll live with it in the same way that I live with expecting a 50/50 chance a new American friend will insinuate I’m a drunk who likes a fight before the night is done.

Anyway, I agree there’s no point in continuing this discussion if you’re convinced something has to be wearing jackboots and smashing windows of ethnic restaurants before it qualifies as racism. It’s sad but that’s life.

• Faxanadu says:

Racism isn’t some cartoon devil that inevitably leads to horrible acts, either. Saying so implies exactly what I was guessing at in the previous reply – you think anything that can be categorized as racist should be, because it’s always evil – or atleast you’ll take the chance of using the word to try shape the world into your liking.

I’ll clarify: I never said the accent isn’t racist. Sure it is. It’s as racist as calling someone silly is offensive. As racist as poking someone is assault. What I said was, while it is racist, using the word is way overkill. That’s why I’m talking about the definition of the word.

Personal note: I think the Irish drunken brawler stereotype is awesome. I love to see it in games. But I’m completely unable to associate it with “irish people”. How could everyone be drunken brawlers. That’s just retarded.

Cheers.

• Criv says:

Racist isn’t an overblown description to be honest. I know you think it is, but judging by your comparison that’s because you’re lacking the context these accents and stereotypes are a keystone for. It’s not analogous to poking someone and them calling it assault – because that’s an isolated incident. This isn’t.

It’s the tip of an iceberg going back hundreds of years and continuing into the modern day. A lot of the worse offenses are now (thankfully) in the past, but there’s still plenty to go around (link to thejournal.ie for example – there’s a better example elsewhere where the reporter covering a trial “writes in an Irish accent” what the Irish defendant was saying but I can’t find the link).

Go back 50 years, and you have NINA (No Irish Need Apply) notices being commonplace and considered acceptable in the UK. That’s something my own father encountered and made his life quite difficult. Why? Well, Irish people are drunken and violent … not something you want to employ or have as a tenant. Right?

Go back ~170 years (round about the time the British empire was banging its drum about abolition of slavery) and you have the same racist stereotypes being used to justify Ireland exporting enough food to feed its entire population – while 1 million Irish people starved to death. Why feed them? They’re only drunken, lazy and violent …hrrm, we’d better add armed guards to our food shipments (I wish I was exaggerating here but it happened. Armed guards to stop starving people taking food).

That history (and any number of less major incidents than the Great Famine not actually being a Famine) is why these stereotypes and accents are racist. It’s basically “Darkies in the Melon Patch” stealth edition.

So I hope this begins to give you some sort of feel for why that stage accent, and that stereotype, seem to be fairly harmless fun but aren’t. They’re the last bit of something terrible that has had most of its teeth pulled (verbal blackface is a useful way to think of it because it’s something fairly close people *know* they should feel bad about).

As I’ve said before, I’m resigned to seeing them in practically all kinds of media, and (much like with people’s first reaction of doing the accent when they learn I’m Irish) I’m not going to write people off for liking games involving it, I’d just appreciate people recognizing that it’s a bit like asking a black guy to come play “darkies in the melon patch” – they’re not going to appreciate it. That’s why I found your initial mockery so …bizarre.

5. blastaz says:

From the way unity has been reviewing poorly, this one may end up being more fun what with still having boats in as well.

Wish they were coming out on pc in the opposite order, might actually have a new rig by next year…