When Did This Get Here? Five Nights At Freddy’s 2

I never thought I'd be so unhappy to see vents in a video game.

The last time we looked at Five Nights At Freddy’s 2 on our security camera feeds, the animatronic horror was standing quietly still on Steam Greenlight. And now it’s here. It’s here on Steam, before us, released properly for real, and we didn’t even notice it leave Greenlight. It’s all very convenient for me, writing this now, as that’s the basic setup of the game: a Chuck E. Cheese’s-ish restaurant’s frightful animatronic animals come alive at night when not watched, and will try to sneak up and murder you. You can have a crack yourself in the demo.

I knew how mega-turbo-popular the first Five Nights was, but hadn’t played it as I’m not really one for jump scares. After trying the sequel’s demo, my response is a horrified, as the youth say, “#nope”. Unlike many jumpscare ’em ups, Five Nights is about managing time and other resources while keeping your cool. It’s a stealth game where you’re sat in an office chair.

Time spent flicking through security cameras is time spent not winding up the music box that keeps one particular creature distracted. Time spent winding up the music box is time not spent checking there isn’t something creeping towards you. Flicking your torch light down the corridor takes both time and battery. When the creatures suddenly appear before you, or you hear banging in a nearby air vent, you’ve got to stay calm and still balance keeping watch. They go away eventually, but obsess over them and you’ll miss new ones arriving. Then you’ll be in trouble. You can pop an empty animatronic bear head on to fool them, panting deep breaths, but I’m sure that can cause terrible death too. I played the first night of the demo’s two (and of the full game’s five), and have no desire to see what happens as things escalate on the second. #nope, right kids? Yeah, right!

In terms of new things, the sequel adds new animatronic creatures with new behaviours, changes up the basic routine with new responsibilities and defenses to juggle, and brings it to a new restaurant with a new layout. It’s £5.59 on Steam.

1. Great Cthulhu says:

Huhwot? Wasn’t the original only released last August? This must be a new record for fastest time to sequel.

• Lurid says:

Well, the game isn’t exactly complex. They could probably pump out a sequel every month if they wanted to.

• Jalan says:

The Stephen King novels of the video game sector!

• Shakes999 says:

Oh holy lol.

• HisDivineOrder says:

More like James Patterson.

I think the yearly sequels of Assassin’s Creed/Call of Duty/Battlefield are more the Stephen King of gaming.

• BooleanBob says:

Well, you know what they say: strike while the iron’s h-

What the, where did my iron go? I left it right here. It’s not like it could have gotten up and walked off by itse-

What was that sound

• bv728 says:

Given that the game doesn’t use a huge number of assets, can re-use the engine and much of the UI/Events code, and the dev started on the sequel immediately, it doesn’t seem amazingly rushed either. Clearly they had a bunch of un-used ideas to toss into the blender.

• Shakes999 says:

Yeah ive been watching Harshly Critical play it and they did a wonderful job of mixing it up and adding to it. It being a relatively simple game mechanic and asset wise allowed them to get really creative with the formula not to mention the little hidden things they’ve added.

• dethtoll says:

Considering how lazily the first game was coded I’m not surprised.

2. LionsPhil says:

I think you’ve got to extend your neck to comical proportions too, Alice.

3. w0bbl3r says:

I think I am the only person who found the original (it feels weird saying “original” when it’s only like 2 months old) overrated and boring.
    It wasn’t really scary or tense, just boring.
    Just my weird taste I suppose.

• Kitsunin says:

I think that’s understandable. If it doesn’t scare you or or make you feel terribly nervous/anxious, then there really isn’t much there. I find it to be horribly tense, and terribly enjoyable for that reason, but it is essentially just sitting around waiting, so if you don’t feel scared, it would be boring.