Grapple Of My Eye: Just Cause 3 Announced

Just Cause 2 is a game about gravity and grappling hooks. It’s what happens when Grand Theft Auto and Far Cry hook up, and make Saints Row the godfather to their bastard child. The child is baptised in a font of flame that is kicked out of a helicopter and parachutes onto the burning wing of a plane that is tethered to a lorry that is driving off a cliff while somebody stands on its roof adopting a surfer pose while shooting rockets at the moon.

A sequel has just been announced. I sincerely hope I can fire my grappling hook into the moon and swing it at my enemies like a big ol’ wrecking ball. Details below.

Game Informer have the exclusive but they’re not sharing too much at the moment. They’ve played the game at Avalanche’s HQ though and reckon the parachute and grapple mechanics are “vastly improved”. There’s also a new toy in the form of a wingsuit. If that means I can fire a grapple at somebody while flying above them using my wingsuit and then reel them in for a hug, I might just forgive the apparent lack of moon-swinging mechanics.

I’d missed earlier fears of a free to play sequel, which were spawned by what appeared to be microtransactions in what looked like leaked screenshots. Square Enix have now confirmed that Just Cause 3 will be a “full price title for Windows PC, Xbox One and Playstation 4 scheduled for release in 2015”. Of course, full price doesn’t mean there won’t be any microtransactions. If they do exist they might be tucked away in multiplayer, or designed to speed up unlocks, rather than to control the entire pace of the game or lock away content.

1. Orija says:

Microtransactions.

• Monchberter says:

…were already in Just Cause 2.

• Kollega says:

Maybe in the sense of “transactions that are small”, but not in the coloquial sense. Even if there were tiny bits of DLC priced at $1-3, there was an upper limit on what you could spend, and not that big of a limit. There weren’t any XP boosters or gamble-crates that you need to pay for again and again.

• derbefrier says:

Of course at this point there is no reason to assume the game will have those kind of microtransactions at this point. It could be xp packs or it could be alternate player models for multiplayer or hats or any number of things.

keithzg says:

Literally not that I noticed (and I played it on both PC and Xbox 360), so I’d say they were successfully unobtrusive.

• rclesham says:

Official post on Avalanche says “It does not feature in-game micro transactions.”

So good news everyone.
      link to avalanchestudios.com

2. Bull0 says:

This is an exciting thing. Best to wait and see on the microtransactions before strapping on the sandwich board and bell, but obviously yeah, double-dipping with a full price game and microtransactions is something nobody should support.

• BockoPower says:

What if it’s the best game ever ?! They should put a monthly fee too ! And charge extra if you play it more than 150 hours a month ! And charge even more if you played less than 100 hours a month !

3. junglist 69 says:

Maybe they will do micro transactions for various hats you can wear in game…Hmmm nah I would never wear that!!!!

4. Kollega says:

First thought: OMG OMG OMG JUST CAUSE THREEEEEEEEE!!!
    Second thought: FUCK YEAH JUST CAUSE THREE IN 2015!!!
    Third thought: I wonder what country we’ll get to wreck this time.
    Fourth thought: Damn, I hope they make dynamic missions like Tom Francis suggested in one article shortly before JC2 was out.
    Fifth thought: There better be no microtransactions, or people are getting stabbed.

Full disclosure: despite all its flaws, I clocked in 191 hour in Just Cause 2 and went through the story campaign three times, once on Hardcore, so I’m excited as all hell.

• Werthead says:

The game’s setting is apparently ‘the Mediterranean’. I’m not sure if they mean a fictional island in the Mediterranean or the entire sea, all its coastlines, all of the islands and all of Italy. Given the size of JC2’s map, I’m not sure we can rule that out.

5. NicholasTimothyJones says:

Wingsuit you say? I wish every open world game had a wingsuit, especially ArmA III. Unless it has and I don’t know.

phuzz says:

Why am I excited?
    Just Cause! Three!

7. jpm224 says:

Hopefully they improve the helicopter flight mechanics this time around. And by improve I mean completely redo from the ground up.

Great game, but undoubtedly some of the worst helicopter flight controls I’ve ever seen. Seriously, it made you not even want to fly them.

• Herkimer says:

On the other hand, the “grapple-onto-helicopter-then-punch-the-dude-out-of-the-cockpit-then-crash-the-helicopter-into-a-wind-turbine-then-hijack-a-tuktuk” controls were fantastic.

• dreadmullet says:

I found the helicopter controls the best they could possibly be with a mouse and keyboard. You yaw with the mouse and look up/down with the mouse. You move forward and sideways with WASD. It all aligns with FPS controls. Shift/ctrl for height. For helicopters with guns, it made aiming very precise. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

• jpm224 says:

Was I doing it wrong? It seemed to me I could never get a helicopter to move faster than what felt like 15 mph.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, I thought they controlled pretty well given the nature of the game.

• Werthead says:

I had a much bigger problem with how slow the jets were. The map is absolutely gargantuam (it’s one of the biggest sandbox maps ever, far vaster than the likes of GTA5’s) so for once they could actually have let you kick off with jets flying at something like realistic speeds. But taking ten minutes to fly 11km on a jet with afterburners blazing felt really weird. If anything the game should have embraced the insane possibilites raised by fighters crashing into things at 900mph+.

Apart from that, it was a good game. I got a bit bored of it after 30 hours or so and just finished the main story (the final mission is appropriately bananas), but it was fun.

• fish99 says:

I found the helicopters were decent, but the cars and bikes were fairly horrible. Thankfully they weren’t needed often.

8. RedViv says:

I’m so gonna get hooked into that game all over.

9. derbefrier says:

Fuck yeah

10. Sp4rkR4t says:

The only game on the horizon I have absolutely no problem pre-ordering, such is the faith it will be an insane amount of fun.

• Bob says:

Yep.
      Anyone else think Just Cause 2 was a game “made just for me”? Blowing shit up never gets old imo.

11. Stellar Duck says:

Good for those that liked the second game. Sadly that didn’t include me.

The writing was wretched. And yes, it’s a game and all. That’s no excuse though.

• LionsPhil says:

I treated it like a dumb action film: you’re there for the action setpieces. In that regard, it did not disappoint.

• Stellar Duck says:

I honestly tried to do that but it then I ran into the game being… I don’t know, actually quite boring after a bit. I think it was because I wasn’t engaged at all. I also find most dumb action flicks boring for the reason.

After I’d blown up yet another base and killed another colonel I just quit and didn’t come back. I’d seen all the game had to offer and it wasn’t actually very much. An endless string of noise and fury with no rhyme nor reason and even less reason to care.

Everything was also so very frictionless. Unlimited parachutes in his ass, super easy car surfing, jumping around from plane to plane. All things that should have been awesome but ended up being mundane and tedious. I suppose familiarity breeds contempt and damn, did I get familiar with the various tricks Antonio Banderas could do. Again and again and again.

Anyways! It’s genuinely good news for those who liked the game!

• Muzman says:

It was a weird situation of there being so much to do and no way the game could support all that. I doubt even amazing writing could really keep it all on point and interesting. But you never know. It does dumb game things too, like trying to make the faction you are supporting matter when it clearly doesn’t at all (oh they’ll help you fight at the end, each one being essentially the same and like you give a crap about dumb AI helpers anyway. Woo hoo). Pointless tropes that add up to nothing. They may have had something more substantial in mind at some stage but wussed out. But it’s just added colour in the end. A different face to give you missions.

Perhaps the Shadow of Shadow of Mordor will have some influence in making it more interesting there now.

• LionsPhil says:

Ah. You really need to go for the side missions if/when you’re bored of just wanton destruction, because they’re where the structure is. Where by “structure” I really do mean setups for the highlights of every action film going.

Only the devs remembered to keep the open world context. Sure, they’re going to put you on a bridge over a convoy you need to stop with the ability to paraglide down onto cars, surf on them, jack them, plant C4 on the bonnet…

…but, hey, if you want to just tag them with a rocket-launcher that’s cool too.

keithzg says:

Hell, the writing was so close in tone to Dumb Action Film Writing that I was convinced it was intentional. I mean, within 30 seconds of the game starting the black guy dies! My housemates and I were in stitches by the end of that opening cutscene, and the over-the-top 80’s-but-unlimited-budget action that followed just solidified that.

Plus, the story was there for when one feels like playing a dumb bombastic action film or seeing where the story might take you that you haven’t noticed yet. Otherwise, it’s a game about exploring the biggest, most diverse and most interesting to traverse open worlds I’ve ever played in. So I’m super excited for this game.

• cqdemal says:

My only big disappointment for Just Cause 2’s writing is the lack of memorable one-liners.

Hilariously bad accents do not count.

• Kollega says:

Well, the writing WAS dang terrible… but it wasn’t serious at all, so I had no problem ignoring the stupidity and having fun. As I said in my amateur review back in 2010, if you want awesome side-missions and awesome voice acting, go play Mass Effect 2.

• Stellar Duck says:

I… I don’t like Mass Effect 2 either. Actually I dislike that one even more for terrible writing. :P

I did like JC2 for a few hours but then it became routine. As I explained above, when the writing couldn’t hold me, the grinding monotony of the game was too much for me.

• Kollega says:

Okay :P

I guess I didn’t hate JC2 despite the repetitiveness, because for me, getting around the map was just as fun as exploding things. It’s one of the best on-your-bike-go-wherever-you-like games, even if it’s in fact very half-assed in places. Objectively, the game is not that great… and yet, I couldn’t get enough. It’s one of the few games I bothered getting all achievements for. The fact that it allows for road trips, ace flying, parasailing, AND ungodly amount of explosions won me over.

• jaguar skills says:

I think where you’re going wrong is looking for a good story in a mainstream videogame. I say mainstream because I can’t be bothered to have an argument with fifty people who will inevitably tell me about free indie titles about kids from a Bangalore slum coping with cancer and going to work to support their abusive parents or whatever. Nobody plays those. Stop.

Anyway, JC2 was a tonne of fun but I see where you’re coming from about some of the mechanics and as a game to progress through and finish, I didn’t come anywhere near. It was a pure sandbox with a beautifully realised world and it was very ahead of it’s time in many ways.

But yeah, stories. If you want good writing, read a book or watch a film and drop the awful pretentions these poor bastards in the industry have to put on because they chose to write about trumped up childrens toys for a living.

• skyturnedred says:

I thought the shooting and controls were bad. Never played far enough to judge the story.

• fish99 says:

A better story would improve the game no doubt, but I hope they don’t go all serious with it. Keep it cheesy B-movie stuff, but just write it a bit better and get a more consistent pool of voice actors.

Bottom line though – the game is about doing crazy stuff and blowing shit up, not the story.

• Stellar Duck says:

Oh, I don’t want it to be serious. There are enough gruff dudes in games as it is.

I want it to be silly and dumb. I just found that JC2 didn’t really do that for me.

12. Muzman says:

Easily my favourite CIA-sponsored terrorist game, 2 was.

• LionsPhil says:

Are you suggesting that smothering a plane with C4 and slamming it into a water tower to raise chaos to incite regeime change may be some kind of terrorist act?

• Muzman says:

Of course not! That’s just good clean fun. Speeding in an innocent man’s tuk tuk so he gets inevitably hauled in by the corrupt police and has to bribe his way out with his life savings; there I felt seriously morally compromised.

13. Michael Fogg says:

>>> Game Informer […] played the game at Avalanche’s HQ though and reckon the parachute and grapple mechanics are “vastly improved”.

But the champagne and whores may have something to do with it

14. Faxanadu says:

Guys! Why are you not talking about the MULTIPLAYER? Have you not played JC2 MP?

If JC3 will have MP and it will have servers like the Real Life Server that JC2MP has, it will be amazing.

JC2 was a mediocre game with some fun stuff with explosions and grappling hook. Multiplayer was fun chaos. But when you combine all that with factions you can join, money you can earn, things you can buy with it, and territorial battles between said factions, missions, DANG it’s like GTA multiplayer on steroids.

Really hope they’ll focus on the MP.

15. Bart Stewart says:

JC2 is one of the few games enjoyed by RPS that didn’t pan out for me.

And when I write, “didn’t pan out for me,” what I really mean is “made me howl repeatedly in exasperation.” I couldn’t get past the way that the PC version of JC2, like Red Faction: Guerilla, had only a fake quicksave: some progress stuff was saved, but otherwise it just threw you back to the start point for that level and reset everything in it.

If that had been the punishment for failing to play stealthily enough, I might possibly have understood it. But stealth is obviously not what JC2 was about. For that matter, maybe it wasn’t about exploring a world with some exciting moments, which is how I was trying to play it. Maybe, like the Call of Modern Warfare Duties, I’m supposed to stop all thought processes and just enjoy the Exciting Sensations. If I’d been able to do that, I might not have cared that “saving” in JC2 wasn’t so much saving as it was a checkpoint restart with perks, and just gotten on with making the same things explode repeatedly.

As it is, though, unless they change the formula and implement a proper save function for the PC version of JC3 — which I don’t expect — I’ll pass. Personal taste, of course, YMMV.

16. LintMan says:

JC2 was ok, but it was the bolopatch that really made it awesome. It’s way more fun when you can grapple-attach cars to airplanes, insta-summon vehicles, turn down the insane 5-star HEAT, etc.

I’d love it if the devs embraced the ridiculousness of its premise and went the Saints Row 3/4 route of “fun” over “challenge” for Just Cause 3.

17. Jason Moyer says:

Has there been any news lately on Avalanche’s Mad Max game? I’ve been really looking forward to it and not hearing anything.

18. Kempston Wiggler says:

After the gorgeous but deeply frustrating Just Cause, Just Cause 2 made it into my top ten list of games released in the last decade. The sense of freedom and scale is nearly unparalleled. If I had one criticism: it needed a tiny touch more to do, particularly in the long slog towards getting 100% of all the collectables after the plot had ended!

Oh, and the explosions should be even more insane. C’mon, Just Cause 3 – you can do the thing!

Harlander says:

Is this going to be true to form and be a Windows 8 exclusive?