Resolution Resolutions For Final Fantasy XIII And XIII-2

Fighting!

Final Fantasy XIII was a disappointing PC port, suffering that rare-yet-still-too-common problem of only running at a 1280×720 resolution. Gawd bless modders, as Dark Souls and Deadly Premonition saviour Durante released a tool to stick a knife inside the game’s workings and jiggle it around, opening up higher resolutions, but it’s a shame he was even needed. Square Enix have noted the discontent, and promised that Final Fantasy XIII-2 will support other resolutions when it launches on December 11th. They also plan to patch resolution options into FF13 that month.

XIII-2 will have options to run in different resolutions (a press release mentions “720p, 1080p, and more”, so it’s not clear how comprehensive this is) at 60fps, and will introduce graphics options (also absent from XIII) so you can keep it there. It looks like Japanese voices are still bundled in by default, rather than split off as optional, which was another complaint about XIII. Can’t win ’em all.

I’m not usually one to grumble about technical aspects of games, as long as they’re not a complete shambles and don’t stop me from playing, but playing a long, long game in a blurry non-native resolution would be physically painful.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 will cost £12.99 when it launches. It’s £10.99 to pre-order from Square Enix and £11.69 on Steam but, more than ever, I’d recommend waiting to see how the game turns out. The final part of the trilogy, Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns, is due in spring 2015.

1. Isometric says:

Gawd bless modders. Now if we could only get a port of Lost Odyssey

2. Jamesworkshop says:

It wasn’t too bad for me 720p to 768p works well enough

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Yeah well, but i guess extra choice won’t kill anyone.

Since i recently splurged for a move to 1440p land, i’m pretty thankful Durante actually exists while we wait.

3. Orija says:

Is there hope of us getting FF XV too?

4. Noxman says:

I keep getting an image in my mind of some studio execs sitting around talking in utter shock and surprise that PC gamers aren’t happy about *the resolution it’s supposed to be played in*. I don’t mind slow progress but degradation cannot go un-opposed.

5. mechabuddha says:

GeDoSaTo (Durante’s tool) works great and is easy enough that I’ve enjoyed the game so far. AND it looks like SE is listening to our complaints (most of them, at least). While not an ideal scenario (it would have been nice to have graphics options to begin with), it’s certainly not the worst I can imagine.

6. golem09 says:

“I’d recommend waiting to see how the game turns out”

And I wonder why everyone keeps saying that. Even if it WAS locked to 720p, and there was no Durante fix, it would still be the best version of the game.
    Now the resolution thing is fine, but its already fixed. Not so thrilled about that. What SE should patch is its wonky 2D rending, cause the HUD is the only thing dropping the fps in this game. WIthout the HUD (thanks Durante) it runs with 60fps everywher.

7. HisDivineOrder says:

Can’t wait for the Final Fantasy XIII Bundle pack that includes the entirety of Final Fantasy XIII in one exciting compilation.