No Cause For Concern: No Just Cause 3 Microtransactions

Only DLC on the list of things people hate, so far.

When Just Cause 3 was announced yesterday, Square Enix said that it was a “full price title”, causing speculation that earlier fears about the game containing microtransactions were unfounded. Now developers Avalanche have confirmed it in a post on their own site: “It does not feature in-game micro transactions.”

Yep. Confirmation that the speculation about the earlier speculation being false is true.

Here’s the relevant passage in full:

To be perfectly clear: Just Cause 3 will be available in 2015 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC. It will be distributed as a retail box and digital download. It is not a Free To Play game. It does not feature in-game micro transactions.

Does that mean we’ll release the game and call it quits? Nope. Beyond launch, we are likely to look into DLC packs and items as part of our ambition to support Just Cause 3 and its players for many years to come, but until that time we’re completely focused on making the best Just Cause game we possibly can. Rest assured it will be a huge, fully packed and extremely rewarding experience right out of the gate.

I find it difficult to work out under which circumstances people find microtranscations acceptable given the huge number of successful games – both paid-for and free-to-play – which contain them. In this instance the fear over their use was prompted by some leaked screenshots from an earlier build of the game, one of which featured a “Buy More Now” button. People’s feverish rush for information then led to complaints, and now the above clarification.

I guess in some way the fear was spawned by the thought that a thing people already liked was going to be warped in damaging ways by the needs of capitalism. That’s understandable – I liked Just Cause 2 a lot. It’s such a wildly silly game, though only a fraction of the story missions treated it as such. Most of my time playing it was spent creating my own fun in its beautiful open-world, tinkering with mods which offered infinite or unbreakable tethers and vastly more powerful explosives, or tooling around in the ambitious multiplayer conversion. I hope Just Cause 3 takes a cue from what the community did with the game, and the announced addition of a wingsuit alongside your re-usable parachute and grapple is a good start.

More details of the will trickle out over the coming days as part of an exclusive with Game Informer.

1. The Sombrero Kid says:

Money shouldn’t have an influence over the design of a game for that game to reach it’s true potential.

Microtransations are a symptom of Marketing led Creation which all marketing departments around the world push constantly for because it makes their life 10x easier but invariably ruins the product through a combination of the fact the marketers don’t know the first thing about design and the fact that they are only interested in entertaining the customers when it aligns with their primary objectives of user acquisition and wealth extraction.

I enjoy dota 2 for example despite the monetisation model not because of it and that’s largely because valve are ruining the lives of the people who spend thousands of pounds on it so that I can play for free, I wish I could shake those people and tell them the damage they’re doing to themselves and the world around them.

• P.Funk says:

Yes I believe Valve has consistently used the least damaging micro-transaction model possible. What makes it so acceptable is that the micro-transaction are totally divorced from gameplay effects, but more importantly you can access everything that can be bought either through chance from playing (drops) or by trading with others.

In the end I have enjoyed TF2 hat collection and even used its internal economy to sell items for money on the market and buy games with it, without spending any money. This means that it doesn’t create that dual internal culture between the conspicuous spenders and the plain clothes folk. If anything I think the flashiest people in TF2 probably spend no money at all.

I should point out also that those items purchased in the store are marked as such and are less valuable. The internal culture and economy of the system actually devalues those who pay money. Still there is that thing where if you sell it or buy it on the market Valve still gets money for it… but again, least worst situation.

2. padger says:

Man, I LOVE speculation. And that’s a fact, not speculation.

3. GernauMorat says:

Hallelujah. Back up to being one of my most anticipated games!

4. Canazza says:

It’s a sad state of affairs that “We’re not going to gouge your wallet” counts as news.

5. derbefrier says:

Great news!

6. Junkenstein says:

“Does not feature IN-GAME micro transactions”.

I dunno, the language used in all communications from the developers regarding this has seemed very deliberate. Seems to me they’ve been very careful not to state that you won’t be able to buy in-game currency of some sort.

7. frymaster says:

“I find it difficult to work out under which circumstances people find microtranscations acceptable ”

When they don’t affect my enjoyment of the game, even by the fact of their existence.

Cosmetic items don’t affect my enjoyment of the game; I can look at a screenshot and use my imagination ;)

The existence of extra missions does, even if the game is complete and well-rounded in its non-DLC-enhanced form, because I tend to only play single-player games once, and I’d want to experience maximum possible content.

8. Faxanadu says:

Team Fortress hats?

Just make a decent JC3 multiplayer (what everyone wants and why people know about JC2) and give cosmetic items or some slightly different cars and boats….

9. Kollega says:

“I find it difficult to work out under which circumstances people find microtranscations acceptable…”

In my eyes, microtransactions are acceptable when they are not pushy, don’t lock off gameplay content and don’t sell power, and don’t offer you money sinks like item rent or gamble-crates. I’m sure I may be forgetting something, but those are the three main things. Take Loadout for example. The cosmetic items are expensive as hell, yes, but the game isn’t pushy about getting you to buy those cosmetics, there isn’t a particular need to unlock more than one or two money-only gunslots (at least for me, because I know the crazier gun designs are too situational to use), and the game gives you oodles of Blutes to construct your weapons with, as well as not having any sort of gambling mechanic like TF2 popularized. In fact, money sinks with no upper limit on spending like crate gambling are my number-one mark of shitty microtransactions.

In short, a game with acceptable microtransactions is a game that says “Oh, you only have ten bucks to spare? That’s cool, you can get some stuff to show your support for the game!” rather than the one that says “GIVE ME $200 A MONTH OR YOUR PLAYING EXPERIENCE WILL SUCK ON ICE”.

10. TaxonMaxon says:

Not outraged, just grateful. JC2 was one of my favorite and most played games.