The Witcher 2 And Mount & Blade Free In GOG Sale

We said 'Prices so low they're practically free', witcher. PRACTICALLY. Put the sword back.

You know those games GOG sell, yeah? Mostly old ones but a fair number of new things too, right? Those games. Most of them are on sale. GOG launched their autumn sale, with discounts on over 700 of their 860 games. Most seem to be half-price, while bigger discounts come in flash sales and daily deals and bundles and those other sorts of things. They’re also throwing a few freebies out, giving the original Mount & Blade to all and sundry for the next two days, and offering the splendid Witcher 2 free if you visit the site on seven days over the sale. Video games!

The box to get Mount & Blade free is somewhere on the GOG front page, so go give it a click. As for The Witcher 2, you’ll need to visit daily and collect “stamps” by clicking on the box there. Seven will get you the game plus a movie, The Gamers, for free. The sale runs until November 25, so there’s no need to remember to visit every day.

As for what to buy in the regular sale, jeez, I don’t even know what to recommend. Check the front page for the flashy timed offers then dive into the rest, I guess. The old wisdom is to wait until the end of the sale before buying anything not on a timed mega-discount, but some of these seem to be so brief that you’ll surely miss lots anyway. Buy games you want at a price you’re comfortable with. If you want to buy games and are able to. It’s okay if you don’t, too.

1. skyturnedred says:

These guys are getting a bit too generous for my taste. Must be planning world domination or something equally sinister.

• Brtt says:

I’ll take a DRM-free domination over Steam and consorts any day.

Oh wait, I already do.

2. Drake Sigar says:

N-no you can’t! T-t-there are others, I can show you, please. PLEASE! Urruugghghhgh

• Horg says:

……this is a consular ship……we’re on a diplomatic mission……

3. mukuste says:

Their site sure is getting hammered right now…

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Yup. Still haven’t gotten in yet. Good, this means people know about it. Come to GoG, folks!

4. BockoPower says:

What about that The Witcher Adventure Game? Is it any good?

• jerf says:

I participated in the beta and liked it rather much. Good digital version of a good board game.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I played a couple of games in the beta with a friend. It’s not bad but I think it’s the kind where the actual board game with a couple of friends around a table would be more fun.

5. Shar_ds says:

Battle Isle Platinum (inc Incubation) for -50% !!! Get!

6. Maka Albarn says:

… Is it bad that I’m gonna collect the stamps for the movie and not Witcher 2? I mean, I played Witcher up to the banquet, and I think I “get it,” but it just doesn’t seem interesting…

• mlaskus says:

Witcher 2 is quite a bit different to the first one, I liked it more.
      They main difference is in the combat system. They got rid of the rhythm clicking and went with a very dynamic system that’s all about dodging and positioning yourself. I liked it a lot, it’s very satisfying once you master it.

• baozi says:

Agreed. Only played a very short bit of The Witcher 1 and quite a bit of The Witcher 2, but they definitely feel differently. The Witcher 1 feels more old-school as far as I can tell, The Witcher 2 more like an ARPG.

• RegisteredUser says:

Have you checked out the massive combat overhaul by one of the guys who worked on the game?

• mlaskus says:

Nope, I finished the game before it came out. I think I’m going to replay both games when Witcher 3 comes out and try the mods out then. I’ve heard good things about the mod, so I’m definitely looking forward to it.

• sinister agent says:

I’ve only played the first Witcher, and liked the way it treated player choices (ie: big obvious “this matters” choices seemed like something I actually had to think about, rather than just decide which would give the best rewards or which the game had telegraphed was best), but got sick of the rest of it pretty soon. Gave up when I got to A Fucking Sewer Level.

BUT I am reliably told by just about everyone that Witcher 2 is much, much better. I will get round to playing it at some point.

7. Hex says:

I don’t know why I even buy games anymore. I can’t tell you how many times a game in my backlog has been given away for free before I’ve gotten around to playing it.

Bastards!

teije says:

I hate Gog, with their excellent old insanely cheap games I never played, or want to replay. I’m already backlogged with new games until the end of next year at my pace, and when Pillars of Eternity & Torment come out, I’m doomed. And here they go practically giving away stuff – heartless bastards.

8. Ross Angus says:

What a beautiful time to be alive.

9. Martel says:

Fingers crossed that Tie Fighter goes on sale with this

10. Big Murray says:

FINALLY, they’re selling The Witcher games at the price they’re worth.

11. frogulox says:

Startopia. Evil Genius.
    never on sale. Whyyyyyyyyyyy

• Xocrates says:

Hmm? They’re both 50% off. They just aren’t one of the daily deals,

12. illuminerdi says:

The Witcher 2 is, unquestionably, the best RPG to have come out in over a decade, and I would say it easily falls into the top 5 RPGs of all time. Passing up the chance to play/own this game for the paltry sum of FREE is completely absurd; if you haven’t played this game you absolutely owe it to yourself to at least give it a shot.

Also: it has boobs within 1 minute of starting a new game. So there’s that, if that’s your thing. Free boobs. Where else can you find that on the internet?

13. jnqvist says:

Has anybody else noticed that when logging out of the Gog account the stamp(s) for W2 get lost? You need to click again on them to get them.
    Oh and DO buy the Classic RPG bundle before it slipps away; you still got about half an hour. What a fantastic offer.