Unofficially Micro Machines: Toybox Turbos

Splash-splash.

It might not be called Micro Machines, but Toybox Turbos is clearly Codemasters following up on their vintage top-down toy car racing series. Taxis and buses race around kitchen tables, ramping off slices off cake, popping up out of toasters, skidding on spilt milk, and taking a shortcut through a drying rack, oh, it’s so very Micro Machines. It seems quite pleasant too. Toybox Turbos launched yesterday, and a demo’s out too with a fair few tracks to zip about on.

If you played Micro Machines, you’ll get the idea: toy cars race around bright everyday environments, dodging hazards like sinks and spinning mixers and ramming other players into them. Driving’s arcadey and forgiving, obviously, but doesn’t feel floaty as these games often can. It’s picked up a few tricks since the mid ’90s, with weapon pickups like mines, machineguns, and a magnetic grappling hook.

The demo has four kitchen tracks across three modes, as well as local multiplayer for up to four. Unable to rope in a flatmate, I played the demo against AI and still had fun, even though it’ll clearly be at its best went when racing your chums. It’s fun. I enjoyed it. I had fun – more than I remember having in Micro Machines, if I’m honest, as analogue sticks work so much better than d-pads for racing.

Toybox Turbos is on Steam for £11.99, or £35.97 for four copies. The demo’s over on Steam too.

1. rcguitarist says:

If it is a codemasters game, I will pass. Been burned by their lack of post launch support too many times.

2. Ross Angus says:

The art style reminds me of Surgeon Simulator. I really hope Codemasters doesn’t do some sort of collaboration.

• Bfox says:

Removing a micromachine from someones anus?

• Nintyuk says:

Or more likely toy cars racing around the operating theatre plus inside the patient. then there could be a surgeon simulator level were the tiny cars are racing around the theatre and you have to operate with the cars doing jumps over the open body getting in the way.

3. Xantonze says:

What kind of post launch support are you waiting for on a game like this?

Just tried the demo, it’s the good’ol Micromachines. The demo even allows for multiplayer, so I’ll try that first before thinking about buying…

• rcguitarist says:

Support such as not shutting down multiplayer servers within a year after launch just because sales were not as stellar as they had hoped and abandoning all technical support. For example, my digital copy of Dirt, which requires no cd key, started asking for a cd key and wouldn’t let me play, so I called them and told them about it and their response was “we don’t support that game anymore so we can’t help you. Have a nice day.” This was about 4 years after the game initially launched. They also refuse to remove the dying GFWL from their Operation Flashpoint games because they are not supporting those games anymore. So when GFWL 100% stops functioning, I will be left with 2 unplayable games. I could go on.

4. HaruharaHaruko says:

I sunk dozens of hours in Micro Machines on my Playstation back in the day. However, I find going back to relive those good times on my old consoles tends to be underwhelming. I’ll revel in the nostalgia for a bit then pass.

5. Kala says:

Man, I had a blast with micromachines 2-player when I had it for the…mega drive? don’t remember. It was amazeballs anyway. Will check this out.

6. Paul says:

Looks pretty good, shame about no Micromachines name. Might be great with kids, and it is a nice change after all the derivative GRIDs and whatnots.

7. Unclepauly says:

NO WHEEL SUPPORT>NO DICE

• rfa says:

It isn’t a “wheel” game.

On the ps1 it had the first (I can remember) 4 player multi player (2 players per controller).

If it’s a follow up to micro machines then it isn’t the shirt I’d game that calls for a wheel, but a controller. It would lend itself well to multiplayer on keyboard too; one in the qaz end and the other in the number past or ikm end.

• Jekhar says:

Micro Machines 2 already did that on the mega drive, without the need for a multitap. It had it’s own special game cartridge featuring two extra controller ports. link to segaretro.org

• SuicideKing says:

NO DICE, BUT CODEMASTERS.

• galaxion says:

yeah, we DEMAND cockpit view!

8. klops says:

Demo? Local multiplayer? Not a Kickstarter?
    This is wow!

9. Guvornator says:

It’s fun, vibrant, jolly…and pretty bloody easy. Gold stars in all demo events in 20 mins of play – no event not gold starred on the first try. And I’m pretty rubbish at gaming generally*. I can see it being a blast in local multiplayer, but possibly lacking for single player.

*There may be a difficulty setting – The game on first launch was a bit weird regarding recognizing my 360 controller, so I didn’t explore the options too much.

• purpledoggames says:

The jump in difficulty from the demo levels of the first stage to the second stage is quite steep. But welcome. I too breezed through the demo levels, but then the 2nd stage felt like a much better balance, where finding the shortcuts and keeping momentum becomes vital to get 3 stars.

10. Jalan says:

Eh, being a Codemasters title and at that asking price, I’d rather forego the potential headaches and nostalgia and just play Little Racers Street instead.

11. Melonfodder says:

Honestly, you’re better off picking up the old megadrive micro machines. They’re still the best sofa multiplayer games known to man!