Lego Batman 3 Launches, Heads For Outer Space

Two people I actually recognise! Green Lantern and Spiderman

And in “opportunities to teach your child more about vigilante justice using playthings they know and love” news, Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham launched yesterday – you can take it for a spin with a free demo.

I confess I’ve not kept up with all the recent Lego releases. At this point it feels less like a franchise and more of a brick-based pop culture library. Lego are basically the modern equivalent of a monastic scriptorium, where the Lego monks transcribe plots and concepts from television, movies and books and then add illuminated letters in the form of construction flourishes.

ANYWAY. For this one, Batman is teaming up with a bunch of other DC characters and going into outer space to stop Brainiac from destroying Earth. Well, I guess not really destroying Earth. More shrinking it down and putting it on his mantelpiece or in a zoo or wherever a Collector Of Worlds would keep those kinds of things.

Is that a bad thing, by the way? I don’t know the physics involved in his shrink ray. Because if it just makes everything tiny then could we not just explore the other tiny worlds or, I dunno, go about our tiny business? OH. Update: I’ve been researching and he bottles cities as samples and then destroys the original planet. Why would you do that? Also, why would you call him a Collector of Worlds when he’s clearly a Collector of Cities And Stuff.

Seems peaceful

ANYWAY [AGAIN] in order to stop this happening evil villains and super heroes must unite and so on and so forth. The Lantern worlds are involved too. I am trying to work out what a Lantern world is from wiki entries. Maybe some kind of quasi-religious power company and/or pyramid scheme?

Look. Lego Batman 3 exists now. That’s my point. You can play it if you want.

Graham, please can you come and make sense of this post. [And where is the Graham? He’s at home! Washing his tights -Alice]

1. Anthile says:

Monasteries and monks seem like an exciting new direction to go in, once they run out of ideas for their superhero stuff:

Lego The Name of the Rose
    Lego A Canticle for Leibowitz
    Lego Anathem

For authenticity’s sake, all menu text and half of the dialogue is in untranslated Latin.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Lego Cadfael.

And, er, in the interests of equality, Lego Nuns on the Run.

• Llewyn says:

Lego Name of the Rose is something I’d buy. They could follow it up with Lego Foucault’s Pendulum.

Harlander says:

Looks like we’re moving in the direction of legoizing things that are much too existential.

LEGO Waiting for Godot
        LEGO Metamorphosis (“One morning, when Gregor Samsa woke from troubled dreams, he found himself transformed in his bed into a monstrous brick”)
        LEGO No Exit

2. GallonOfAlan says:

As I say every time a LEGO game is released …

… DOCTOR WHO

There is no more perfect franchise.

• Optimaximal says:

I definitely think something is happening… Two Who sets went into Ideas (formerly Cuusoo) review and despite not winning the review (losing out to Birds and BBT), they’re both still being considered.

This is unprecedented, but also tells us that LEGO are more than likely negotiating something proper with the BBC/whoever manages the commercial license…

• Vandelay says:

But how would Lego Doctor Who work when a large proportion of the game is punching other Lego characters? They would need to remove that and replace it with something else every time you controlled The Doctor. Could you imagine the horror if they replaced it with stealth?

• frymaster says:

Sonic screwdriver and/or TARDIS-based puzzle sections, in a vaguely-ripping-off-braid kind of way?

• Malcolm says:

I don’t remember Lego Harry Potter punching anything, it was more puzzle oriented, and probably better for it. Although if they could bin those “puzzles” where you have to stack 4 large lumps of Lego to form a staircase that would be good – they’re far too fiddly for my liking.

3. Optimaximal says:

Philippa, stop trying to analyse comic book entities. It causes brainache for all involved.

Just accept things are how they are because of a hand wave…

4. Rao Dao Zao says:

I always wanted Thor Lego but they keep focusing on rubbish heroes that arent space-fantasy swashbucklers. :(

• Urthman says:

The Marvel Lego game lets you play as Thor on several missions (including one in Asgard) and pretty much anywhere in the open world. Targeting several enemies or lamposts and watching Mojlnir fly from one to the other is pretty great. (The best is targeting a car driving down the street and watching Mojlnir chase it around a corner.) And Loki’s master plan is both silly and awesome.

5. Jalan says:

Lantern worlds – you must be this nerdy to know that Oa, Odym, Ysmault are such places, I guess.

tigerfort says: