Who Ordered The Charming Never Alone Launch Trailer?

Emotions detected - CAUTION! CAUTION!

Next week is the launch of Never Alone, the platform-based tale of a young Iñupiaq girl and her little Arctic fox companion and as such Upper One Games has created a new trailer upon which you may feast your ravenous eyeballs.

John had a hands-on with the Never Alone a while back and my main takeaways were “It’s a charming traditional platformer built around Alaskan Iñupiat culture but with awkward switches between video clips and game content. Also it is charming. CHARMING.”

I think at this point, because of how much the charm and the heartwarmingness of the trailers have made me fond of that little fox, I’m a bit worried about playing the game. Not because of Story Concerns or anything like that. I’m worried that there will be feelings to be had and that those feelings might be horribly sad ones if anything bad happens to my Arctic fox friend.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m really interested in how the game works and the stories it tells – I know little of Alaskan cultures and their folklore – but at the back of my mind is the knowledge of how distraught I get over bad things happening to creatures in nature documentaries. Not just cute fluffy ones, either. I have cried over the cruel fates of beetles and spiders.

I might just stick to rewatching the trailers over and over.

Never Alone is out on Tuesday, November 18th.

1. SominiTheCommenter says:

Don’t watch John Wick then…

2. DutchDrunk says:

There’s a very major lack of cute fox in the final half of the trailer. This does not bode well.

• Ross Angus says:

You can’t mean that the fox has gone away to a nice farm in the country with all the chickens he wants to eat, can you?

• Steed says:

The boy and the wolf seem to get separated in the middle… wolf goes up, boy gets blown off. I’m hoping you then alternate between boy and wolf until you are reunited a little later on.

The music does take a certain sad quality towards the end when woflless though :(

Qazinsky says:

It’s kind of funny, with only one word in that ESRB rating box, it gets kind of harder to just unfocus past it, what I took away from this trailer is that the game is going to be VIOLENT!

4. vlonk says:

For more heartwarming human-wild fox interaction go watch “The Fox and the Child”

5. jezcentral says:

So….Limbo, but with a cuddly head-worm?

Seriously, it’s very pretty, but it looks like the kind of hard platformer that requires a lot of needlessly harsh trial and error (or a walkthrough) to finish (e.g. that leap of faith at 1.27).

6. Shadowcat says:

Every cute fox deserves another: link to onegreenplanet.org

7. EkoAzarak says:

Um yes.. I will have this game.

Truth be told, i’ve always been a FPS/MMO gamer but recently I’ve tried some puzzle adventure and story games and I’m hooked… I just completed Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. and o m f g what an amazing experience. maybe one of the greatest games i’ve ever played. PLAY BROTHERS IF YOU HAVENT. BUY IT.

Never Alone looks to be on par with that kind of quality. definitely getting it.

8. Niko says:

I’m not a big fan of platformers, but I’m so gonna get this game.

9. SuicideKing says:

Yeah, I wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to the fox either. :|

10. Moraven says:

Grew up in Alaska. Around Native culture in the public, events and learned it in school. I think I did a big research on Alaska Natives in high school (in a library! before the Internet was a big thing) but sadly I do not recall a lot of their culture having been away from it for so long.

I look forward to the game and the culture they hope to share. I believe games can be a great way to do this.

• Niko says:

I haven’t even been near Alaska, but I’ve grown up above the Arctic Circle and I’m somewhat intrigued by native northern cultures. Looking forward to this game!

11. USER47 says:

I hope you can do this in the game:

12. DanMan says:

If this is on the quality level of Brothers:ATO2S, then I’m very interested.

13. pocketlint60 says:

This game is getting a lot of praise for showing a perspective that media, let alone video games, don’t often show, and watching this trailer reminds me of something.

I love learning new things, and I enjoy playing video games for new experiences. I want to be black, gay, female, etc. for a day. It sounds interesting. Unlike most people who talk about this, though, I actually like the regular old young straight white guy with brown hair, although even I admit there should be more variety. You can make your game about anyone you want, anywhere you want. I won’t care as long as it’s good. But there’s one thing you should always do:

ADD A DOG.

This has never, ever failed. Ever. Seriously. No game has ever been worse because of it’s dog. Foxes and wolves count too. Give your protagonist an adorable canine companion and it will, at the very least, have no effect. It’s more likely however, that it will turn TONS of people on to your game. Dogs are the best creatures on this planet. I cannot emphasize enough how much better a video game is when dogs are in it. The only game that was worse for it’s dog was Call of Duty: Ghosts, but that’s because the dog was all the game had. If you make a good game, and add a dog, you have a great game.

TLDR Version: Dogs and all canines belong in video games because they’re adorable.