What Are You Playing This Weekend?

[One of these days, Alice... -The Phantom Alt-Texter]

I am going back and playing one of my favourite games this weekend, RPS readers, one of those games I return to once every year or so to remind myself why I play games. I’m going to smile, I’m probably going to cry, I’m going to throw myself back into To The Moon.

To The Moon is one of those games you can just tell was made in RPG Maker. Much of it’s bones are those of your standard RPG Maker creation, from the menus and dialogue boxes to the very core of how the game feels to play. But there’s no battles to be fought, just a world to gently explore, interact with and watch unfold. It’s a game I play for lethargy. It’s there to help me relax, to cleanse the palate and shake off some of that cynicism we can find trailing behind us.

So, why do I care so much about this game? I care about it because it’s a rare gem, one that initially appears to be about the same kind of hero we see in most games, but soon reveals itself to be a game designed much more specifically for me.

Okay, let’s cut the crap and just dive into this. I love To The Moon because it starts off seemingly as a story about an old man moping about, wishing he had achieved more with his life and trying to be more ambitious with how he uses his time. In walk two scientists who go back into his mind and try to rewrite his memories so he can live out all his personal goals he never got to live out. Not my cup of tea by a long shot.

The thing is, as you go back through his life it quickly becomes obvious it’s not this man’s story at all, but the story of his wife, her battle with Asperger’s syndrome, their battles to understand each other as a couple and her interactions with another woman whose Asperger’s syndrome presents very differently. Not only is it a really touching tale, but it manages to explore the plurality of ways Asperger’s can manifest without painting the condition with one single sweeping brush stroke.

As a female sufferer of Asperger’s syndrome myself I often find myself struggling, but unable to get help. The condition is a weird double edged sword, one where the more you learn to cope with it, the less you find yourself allowed to struggle when it flares up. It’s pretty common to hear things like “You’re just putting this on for attention, you don’t normally act this way”, which To The Moon understands and explains better than I ever could.

Simply put, I will be replaying To The Moon this weekend because it’s one of the few games that gets representation of autistic spectrum disorders right, something that draws me back to it time and time again. It’s only about four hours long, but those hours do a lot to remind me it’s okay to still have tough days.

So, what are all of you lovely readers playing this weekend?

1. bill says:

I’m trying to get back into Fez after getting sidetracked 19.7% of the way through, and trying to remember what the hell I was supposed to be doing and what all the icons mean.

2. Schaulustiger says:

Not much time this weekend, but I’ll try to sneak in a few runs in Dungeon of the Endless. What a great game and considering I also love Endless Legend, Amplitude might be one of the hottest developers for me right now. Can’t wait to see where they’re going.

3. Trillby says:

To The Moon was an epiphany for me – it was the first time where I realized that video games can be used as a medium to communicate a story. Not just to endlessly provide exposition, but to deliver a story that could not have been told the same way by any other medium – To The Moon would have been a very poor film or book. And, like John, I wept rivers of perfectly justified tears while playing it.

Thanks for reminding me of it Laura =) Have you played A Bird Story yet? I’ve been saving it up for today…heard good things.

• Melody says:

It’s good but don’t expect another To The Moon. It’s 1/5 of TTM in length, and breadth, and the story is a bit more cliche. It’s still great, but it’s not TTM part 2 and it doesn’t even want to be. It’s more of an experiment in non-verbal storytelling.

• Juan Carlo says:

I really disliked the ending of “To the Moon,” which destroyed whatever impact the game could have for me.

Spoilers follow, obviously.

So basically, they obliterate the protagonist’s memories of his real, difficult, imperfect, life with his wife, so that they can replace it with a cheap fantasy where they meet at NASA and, literally, go To the Moon?

Up until that point the protagonist’s desire to go to the Moon is a great metaphor for his inability to understand and connect with his wife fully, or, more generally, the inability to connect with another person, perfectly or fully, in any relationship. Personally, I was hoping the ending would have the protagonist realizing what caused him to want to go to the moon and coming to terms with the fact that while he may not have connected with or understood his wife perfectly in life, he still loved her and valued their relationship regardless.

I think every relationship will have its impossible desires and goals which can act as road blocks, hence “going to the moon.” Even if you get to the moon, some other impossible desire/goal will appear to become your new “going to the moon.” The real way of dealing with that isn’t by, literally, going to the moon in a fantasy simulator, but rather by coming to terms with the fact that you’ll never go to the moon anyway. Indeed, not going to the moon is the whole point. Romantic relationships are nothing but chasing moons. But the game ruins any deeper point it could make about relationships (along with, basically the entirety of everything that happened in the game leading up to the ending) just so it can have its cheap, silly, maudlin, ending.

Ultimately, the game’s ending poses the question: Would you rather have an imperfect love that’s real? Or a perfect love that’s fabricated on false pretenses and exists only in the realm of fantasy? It resoundingly endorses the latter, which, I think personally, is entirely the wrong choice.

Thirith says:

More so, the reason for this is ***SPOILER*** the main character’s brother who died when he was a kid, and that he’d blocked entirely from his memories. He’s given a fake memory of a life with a brother whose existence he was no longer aware of in exchange of his memories of his real life with his real wife. I found nothing poignant about this – in fact, it made me angry with the story that was being told, because IMO it cheapened it with a left-field twist that said practically *nothing* about the characters I’d been invested in.

• Juan Carlo says:

Yes. And I actually think it cheapened the depiction of Aspergers too, by making it seem like if he had just remembered their initial meeting, everything would have been hunky dory between them communication wise and the aspergers wouldn’t have been an impediment.

Which is idiotic.

This is a woman who spent her entire life trying to get her husband to remember a meeting they had which he had forgotten by cutting out paper rabbits, rather than saying, “Hey honey, do you remember that time we met?” I somehow don’t think their problems of communication would be magically fixed had they only met under different circumstances. If she has that hard of a time being direct, they were going to have problems connecting regardless of how they met.

And I say this as someone with aspergers myself, so I realize, especially in my own relationships, how I can be indirect and emotionally unavailable at times (and, other times, too blunt for my own good). Which is why the game’s initial depiction of how they were able to build a relationship despite an inability to connect perfectly resonated so much with me, and why its ending especially pisses me off and strikes me as being such a cop out.

• puzzlepiece87 says:

My friends and I actually said after playing that we would love To The Moon as a movie, especially because Gao could cut out all the parts that he put in only because he was worried about the game’s initial reception. I think the emotional impact of the different objects could be communicated well via movie while still cutting out walking/clicking everything pieces that slowed the story down.

4. Ladykilljoy says:

Divinity: Original Sin. It’s such an immersive RPG with great writing, nice combat that I just can’t put it down. I haven’t even played many single player games the last couple of years, I found myself bored quickly. Ah, I love it.

Thirith says:

I think praise of Original Sin’s writing always confuses me, because while I liked the game well enough, I found the writing functional at best, downright annoying at worst. Too much of it felt to me like a class clown who insists on telling jokes over and over even though only one out of ten of his jokes are actually funny. Bioware’s writing is much more generic, but I also consider it much more competent.

• gnodab says:

But you see that is exactly why I prefer the writing in Larian games.
        It might be hit (skeletons “killing” themselves by asking existential questions, pyramid scheming adventure guilds) and miss (shaky sea shanties) but you hear the voice of the writers. It is clear that the writing was done by a couple of individuals. In Bioware games (post Black Isle) it always feels like writing by committee. I always get the feeling they are just going through the motions and checking all the boxes on their list to get all the necessary tropes into the game. The talent pool is only used to smoothen the edges which results in a slick yet forgettable experience.

• montorsi says:

I like Larian’s quirky writing. It’s uneven at times, sure, but it is enjoyable precisely because no one else even goes there.

5. Captin Dan says:

I’m doing another play through of cardhunter, with a new account so I get all the lovely loot again. i find how it deals with equipment great and I love the geeky story.

6. mukuste says:

I started on The Longest Journey last night after getting it in the GoG sale.

I loved the first chapter, the setting, the way characters were introduced, the mature dialogue (for a video game, anyway), the way the game let me make progress pretty much naturally.

Then I got to the second chapter and the game started clobbering me over the head with pixel hunting and those obtuse adventure game puzzles which make no sense unless you look them up in a walkthrough. Not to mention what seems to be a “you are the chosen one to save the world” plot. Ugh. I had high hopes for this one but I’m not sure I’m sticking it out, especially with how long the game reportedly is.

• Lagran says:

I tried it out myself (also got the GOG version), but with the knowledge that having played the disc version I needed a walkthrough to figure out the puzzles. Initially I chose a spoiler-free one, but I think I may have screwed myself over because I forgot to check over an object you get right at the beginning of the game, and while I know where that object is, I’m not sure if I can pick it back up and get what I need from it.

If I can’t, I’m really disinclined to start again/from an earlier point.

• All is Well says:

You really should. I understand that you would find the second chapter a bit uninspired but I can almost definitely promise that if you stick it out you’ll really find it rewarding. The third chapter contains some really great scenes/sequences and it really opens up in the fourth, and it just gets better after that. The puzzles are as opaque as in any adventure game but I don’t think they’re so bad as to detract from anything. Also, I should perhaps say that I played it for the first time last year or earlier this year, so I’m not just recommending it out of nostalgia.

• bonuswavepilot says:

This is still waiting in my queue as well, but have spoiled myself on it thoroughly enough that I think I can say that at least the ‘chosen one’ thing ends up being a bit different to what you might expect.

• bill says:

I have a strong dislike of adventrue games for the way that the puzzles always get in the way of the adventure.
      But that said, TLG was one of the few I enjoyed. None of the puzzles are that tricky, and the characters are nice, and the world is interesting to explore.
      It didn’t feel super long to me. Worth sticking with it if you ask me.

7. longlivelee says:

The WoW server queue. And Neo Scavenger. God I love this game. Also I might try BF4 this weekend since I just built my first Intel PC.

8. RegisteredUser says:

Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 and the newly bought super cheap early xmas present that was Insurgency. Curious to see if it holds up to the positive reviews so far.

9. Dilapinated says:

Dungeons of Dredmor and pining for my new PC. I have worn my lo-fi indie library to tatters in the past few months. *gazes longingly at half-complete pile of hardware boxes*

• BooleanBob says:

I’ve been playing Dredmor for the first time this week. Question for you: is there any way to level up your crafting abilities if you didn’t take them as skills at the start? I find it weird that the only character who can make stuff with all these components (so many components) is one who eschews a bunch of survival abilities.

10. Biggus_Dikkus says:

This war of mine. War was never so depressing

• RegisteredUser says:

To be perfectly honest, I found it a bit annoying there isn’t at least a save on quit (in case you have to leave in the middle of a game day), a shortcut of 1-3 for the people controlled and for the optimization freak, I would have much enjoyed a “pausable realtime, command and control during pause” logic rather than clicking around frenetically.
      Maybe this is their idea of “war is evil and frenetic”, but to me its just bad choices towards me as the user. So you are spot on there. :P

Overall it seems like a much more limited scope game than initially thought..curious to read the WIT.

• Caelyn Ellis says:

I reviewed it for colonyofgamers.com and wasn’t particularly impressed, overall. Looking at the reviews on Metacritic, that seems to put me firmly in the minority. I just thought it got quite dull all too quickly.

11. Kempston Wiggler says:

Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

Yet another outing for my stud-collecting OCD to run rampant but once again I find my happy child self grinning with glee at the blocky super-heroics and knowing winks of geeky humour.

(As ever, Nuuvem.com.br is your friend for muchos cheapness)

12. Haplo says:

I’ll be pretty busy this weekend, but you know what? I’m going to find time to export the revolution in Napoleon Total War.

• bills6693 says:

I only really found enjoyment after finding a ‘fire by rank’ mod that actually added that vital skill to the troops in NTW. And in the campaign, I still far prefer Empire.

13. Volcanu says:

Wolfenstein: The New Order which I picked up on sale last week. It’s the most fun I’ve had with an FPS in years and the campaign has been a blast to play through so far. Heartily recommend picking it up to anyone with even a passing interest in single player FPS

• der_Zens0r says:

I would love to play Wolfenstein, but in it´s impossible to play this in Germany with swastikas. And if I´m going to kill Nazis, there should be swastikas. Every comedy (!) movie is allowed to use them, but somehow whoever is publishing Wolfenstein thinks they are not allowed to use nazi-symbols in this game. Just as a matter of principle, i refuse to play this game :(

• ncnavguy says:

Same Here, I’m playing through a backlog of good games that I started but havnt finished. Wolfenstien is on the menu this weekend. I just finished Shadow Warror last night which was also really fun and awesome! These two W:NO and SW are my two top fps’ of the past year. They both call back to old school mechanics but both are updated in the right places to make a mix. Also not suprisingly they are both single player only FPS and I’ve enjoyed them much more immensely than the big AAA modern war simulators

• Geebs says:

I’ve been playing the original Marathon again, via aleph one. Huge claustrophobia plus the assault-rifle-which-is-really-a-melee-weapon = much more fun than any modern shooter.

(I liked wolfenstein but have been turned off by the terrible sex scene and meeting the generic rebels. Will give it anothe go when I can use my desktop again)

• malkav11 says:

Marathon remains one of the two really great series Bungie has ever made. (The other being Myth.) I was really hoping that once they managed to escape Microsoft’s control and exit the Halo treadmill we might see a return to this sort of brilliance, but apparently they wanted to make a console shooter MMO instead. One which, by most accounts, is largely incompetent at storytelling and severely content deficient.

Oh well. There’s always new folks coming along to take up the torch.

• malkav11 says:

The New Order really impresses me. It’s gorgeous, imaginative, surprisingly thoughtful and human and well written, and yet more than capable of the sort of implausible over the top action and violence that should characterize the franchise. And it breaks things up nicely, too. It’s not just full charge shootybang all the time, the way it easily could have been.

14. Laurentius says:

I am going back and playing one of my favourite games this weekend, RPS readers, one of those games I return to once every couple of years or so to remind myself why I play games. I’m going to smile, I’m probably going to weep, I’m going to continue playing TIE-FIGHTER (Battle 8 and onward ).

Also for a good measureof going full Sci-Fi : probably Starlancer/Freelancer and maybe something more shotty/WSADy orientated : started but unifinished another playthorugh of ME2 or ME3.

15. InternetBatman says:

I’ve been playing Our Darker Purpose recently and enjoying it quite a bit. It’s pretty much the Binding of Isaac without the sophomoric grossouts. The extra systems they’ve added work pretty well, and the lore has a few very good snippets.

16. Christo4 says:

I wanna play Borderlands 2 with melee but i dunno what to choose between Zero or Krieg…
    I’m probably gonna go with Krieg though, just cus i can blow ppl up with dynamite.
    Or Zero cus ninja.
    I dunno….

17. DarkLiberator says:

Europa Universalis 4 Multiplayer. Been playing as Burgundy and another buddy of mine is playing as Portugal. Its been a pretty interesting run so far, trying to prevent the French army which outnumbers me 3 to 1 from not overrunning me, while also trying to keep my tiny German allies from killing each other. Which in turn might allow the Austrian army to intervene so I try to be very careful. My buddy has a better time of it so far, tons of trade income and a few colonies already.

Carra says:

Portugal is probably the easiest country to play. You’re a historical friend with Castille so keeping them happy should be no problem. At which point you’re in the perfect position to go and explore.

Hodge says:

I’ve got a towering mass of stuff which I’ve accumulated over the past few weeks but not had time to get to. Demos, short games, browser games, beta versions from Kickstarter projects and so on. I’ll be spending my weekend attacking all that.

Plus my current daily routine of Hearthstone (couple of quick games), Crypt Of The Necrodancer (daily challenge) and a single run through Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth.

Also: Laura Kate Dale on RPS! One of my favourite games-writer people – welcome aboard :).

serioussgtstu says:

Dragon Age 2. Everyone is wrong about this game. I know Kirkwall isn’t an interesting place to be, and that the plot is a lot less ambitious than the original, but it is a very enjoyable RPG none the less. The characters are hilarious and I love spending time with them. Aveline’s inability to flirt with her work colleges has been my favorite part so far.

I can appreciate why some people find parts of it boring, but honestly Origins was boring and po-faced in a lot of ways, so I don’t know what these supposed Dragon Age super fans were comparing it to in the first place, since all Bioware RPGs are a bit shit in multiple ways already. If anything Dragon Age 2’s short comings just make me all the more excited to start playing Dragon Age Inquisition next week. I’m ready to take on a sprawling, hundred hour fantasy RPG.

Carra says:

Dragon Age 2 is a good game yeah, I enjoyed it a lot. But it’s not what we’re used to from Bioware. Especially the zones were very limited, none of the variation found in the original game. And I remember having to revisit some zones multiple times. That smelled of having to rush the game.

Well worth playing but I expect a bit more from Bioware.

• welverin says:

DA2 definitely suffered from it’s eighteen month development time, and they made that worse by changing up the style of graphics.

• inf says:

Hi, i see you weren’t around when Bioware made things like Baldur’s Gate… You know, when these RPG elements were more then just some gimmicks to create the illusion of progression on top of a bland arcade game played in one city with the same art assets used over and over and over. When combat had depth and was derived from a real pen & paper RPG ruleset. When challenge was the norm for combat, and maturity for writing… See where i’m going with this?

No shame in you liking the game, good for you, but it can’t be that hard for you to see why some older CRPG players, or even fans of the original Dragon Age (that was claimed to be the spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate by Bioware btw) hate this game’s guts? To them it’s the definition of gaming in decline, the dumbing down of everything that made the old Bioware games great.

• qutayba7 says:

I’ve been replaying both. I think both are strong on story and character. But DA2 was a definite step down in level design. Area assets were overused, felt more tunnel-like and claustrophobic, and lost a lot of the sense of grandeur and vista (Every notice how static DA2 trees are, when there are even any trees). But the worst dimension of area design to me was that enemies seem to spawn from thin air rather than being placed organically in the area. In DAO, archers would be hanging out on balconies or cliffs, rogues would be standing around a fire, wolves hunting in packs, and spiders would hide at your approach (scripted, of course, but this adds to the feeling that the encounters are strategic and varied). On the other hand, DA2 was certainly more fast-paced, and the combat system got a little better. From the previews, it looks like DAI is taking the best from both worlds, and hopefully leaving behind the worse elements of both.

• malkav11 says:

Have you played Act 3? I liked a lot of the first two acts, despite the terrible changes to combat and the repetition everywhere (but combat’s never been the core of what I liked about Bioware games), but the third took a really big nosedive that pretty well killed my goodwill for the game.

20. dangermouse76 says:

Civ v. Loving it. Pulling in 600 a turn and Rome who has been denouncing me like a 10 for about 700 turns is about to get a massive land invasion. Anyone got any good civ type games they would recommend. Shame there don’t seem to be many android tablet one’s worth trying.

21. Jonfon says:

Nothing, as a pair of midgets (7&4) have taken over my Pc and are playing Scribblenauts Unlimited as I write this on my phone.

Maxwell is basically teaching the 4 year old preschooler how to read. And the 7 year old is hopefully learning mouse skills.

Yay. Parenting!!

• jonahcutter says:

If you’re stuck with just your phone and enjoy roguelikes, check out Hoplite. I can’t recommend it enough.

It’s all about positioning as you journey deeper through levels of Hades. It’s easy to get into and balanced to precision. It’s playable in little chunks (but highly addicting, beware). There’s challenges and upgrades to unlock, and it’s infinitely replayable. Later levels become a dance of side-stepping, leaping, stabbing, shield-bashing, and javelin-throwing.

• scottyjx says:

Hoplite is so fucking super! I’m currently bashing my head against the wall trying to get through without getting hit.

22. melnificent says:

Endless Legend, I finally clicked on where I was going wrong and am enjoying it immensely. Main mistake was picking the broken lords for a first playthrough (oops).

Four year old has commandeered the playstation 4 for minecraft and the 10 year old is her support for problems. Parenting win :D

23. Cinek says:

War Thunder

I got sucked into it back again when they added new damage displays (OMG IT’S SO AWESOME!!! Why noone thought about it earlier?!).

Carra says:

I’ll be levelling my Death Knight. Back to WoW for a few months!

25. Caiman says:

Legend of Grimrock 2, now about 40 hours into it, reached what I guess is the final main area of the game, still enormously enjoyable. Like any really great game, I don’t want it to end.

26. Rolento says:

Divinity Original Sin for the RPG goodness and Elite Dangerous Beta to chillout and relax with (when I’m not being Interdicted on route).

27. GernauMorat says:

Valkyria Chronicles. Had to put it in Japanese with English subtitles though, as the cheese was too strong otherwise. Bloody excellent game however

28. BathroomCitizen says:

I’ll be all over Wolfenstein: The New Order.

It’s a solid game, but heck – the campaign surely overstays its welcome.

• Volcanu says:

You think? I’ve heard a few people say that but I’ve just reached the return to Berlin level which I’m guessing is pretty near the end and haven’t felt like the campaign was overly long with the possible exception of the fetch quests in the resistance hideout between levels. Which bits did you think were filler?

29. yan spaceman says:

In and out of FUEL since it was the Have You Played. I’ve just started the Lifeline DLC for State Of Decay so most of my time will go into that.

30. EkoAzarak says:

I’ll be playing the amazing Warhammer 40k Space Marine single player shooter RPG… and the MMO Firefall.. holy shit its good.

• Volcanu says:

If you’re talking about Space Marine might I suggest you give the co-op multiplayer mode ‘Exterminatus’ a go? It’s one of the few online experiences that I actually love and is great fun to do once you’ve beaten the campaign…

31. CloudPS says:

Divinity 2 – surprisingly good!

32. thaquoth says:

I’m playing Might & Magic X Legacy.

I don’t care about the lore and the world at all. Pity Ubisoft decided to scrap the whole SUDDENLY SPACESHIPS approach of the old games. Always liked how goofy that was. This is just mostly tedious high fantasy nonsense.

I do like that one guy that tells terrible jokes though.

However, the game itself is actually pretty decent. Great turn-based blobber. I’m especially digging how they went from “mowing down zillions of cannon fodder” to more involved battles against fewer enemies that actually prove a threat. Wizardry style. Good stuff.

33. Yachmenev says:

Pro Evolution Soccer 2015 – The king is back.

Defence Grid 2 – Best tower defence game available.

34. MOKKA says:

Rebirth until my fingers fall off.

35. Risingson says:

Papers, Please. Which for now is as brilliant as you all people have said it is.

36. Monggerel says:

METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE.
    And I’m listening to ALL the Codec conversations.
    No thank you Turkish, I’m sweet enough.
    *licks eyeballs longingly*

37. mrvega says:

Europa Universalis IV here. Fighting off Sunni invaders having just formed Hindustan as the Vijayanagar empire.

Lately it seems only grand strategy games are able to hold my interest for more than a few days.

I also have my eye on Neo Scavenger, after hearing nothing but great reviews.

38. Herzog says:

Wasteland 2 – Fighting my way through the Prison and beat up those Red Scorpions!

Inbetween some runs of Isaac!

39. Frosty Grin says:

Dragon Age: Origins. Pretty good for a freebie.

40. Horg says:

XCOM Long War beta 14. Some big bug fixes and buffs to aliens, new research and items, new artwork, generally improved AI (especially for floaters), and soldier perk balancing.

Planetside 2 as i’ve neglected it for too long. Someone remind Jim to set up another call to arms when he gets a free evening, we haven’t done one for months.

41. cheap_truth says:

Downloaded god mode for the Witcher 2, because fuck the Keyran QT fest. I tried it many times and I just gave up. But I want to see the rest of the story.

I’m still pissed off that they allowed that horrible design into this game.

• Lizergamid says:

I am surprised sir, this is so easy fight after first time.

42. Lizergamid says:

Still – Alien: Isolation. So climatic, I love this game.

43. thekelvingreen says:

I got my Amiga 1200 working again — that’s sort of a PC, right? — and have been playing Lemmings this morning.

• Geebs says:

Pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop……pop

• dangermouse76 says:

Same here. Poured milk over it 20 years ago. Turned it on last week. It works! But smells a bit of cheese when it warms up. Been playing lemmings also plus a load of shareware disks I still had.

44. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I don’t know, actually. Maybe some Auditorium and DotP 2013. Or Civ V.

45. Felixader says:

I am kinda writing a diary of my escapades in heavily modded Skyrim game, (i recently got into modding with this game.) because i think with all these good mods the game actually has something to tell besides bashing peoples headas in that live in caves and i want to share that with people. X-P

Also i am having training Sessions in Elite Dangerous. Since i don’t seem to be able to get the Training mission Sidewinder Face off done i am holding of entering the main game. I just don’t want to get frustrated by getting killed in the main game aover and over again. X-P

46. sairas says:

decisions, decision, I hate choices! looking at my backlog with angst.
    I stopped Divine divinity midways (because Wasteland 2) but can’t get the geist to continue it even though I enjoyed it quite a bit.
    Had to stop Papers, please because risk of suicide (it’s an excellent game, but I have to be in a much happier place myself before I can take playing it).
    Maybe continue the Witcher 2 … or finally finish Metro 2033 so I can take on Metro last light.
    Hell, I haven’t even finished Walking dead s2!
    After watching some Battlestar galactica I tried to get into Starpoint gemini 2, but it’s just too much.
    So i guess it will be some FTL and Neo scavenger yet again.

47. TheMajor says:

(Once I get through work) I’m playing Half Life 2 this weekend for the 10th anniversary of its release!

…*sigh* makes me feel so old already

48. CookPassBabtridge says:

I’m playing: nothing, because the crummy assed ASUS X99 Deluxe I bought crapped out in the first week I had it.

49. JimmyG says:

I beat Amnesia: The Dark Descent last weekend, after owning it for … what, four years, I think? I imagine most will disagree, but I expected more. I think a lot of the people singing its praises probably hadn’t played the Penumbra games that the studio developed first; Amnesia just seemed to echo them, stripping out some of the story and changing the scenery. Still a great frightfest. Just not the wonderpiece I’d been led to expect, from my subjective point-of-view.

So this weekend — sorry, that was quite a detour — I’m playing Amnesia: Machine for Pigs. I know it’s controversial and sort of split the fandom because it isn’t simply A:TDD2, and for that reason, I’m optimistic that I might really like it — because I felt like the first Amnesia was just Penumbra 4. (I know Machine for Pigs had a different developer, too. I still haven’t done Dear Esther, though. Maybe next weekend.)

50. Zenicetus says:

I’ll be finishing up a project flying X-Plane in the FSEconomy virtual airline game. I’m ferrying a twin turboprop plane from the Caribbean to Mexico, then up the west coast to the Pacific Northwest. Lots of takeoffs and landings while running FSE assignments to cover the costs and make some virtual bucks. Only one crash so far, due to one of the “runway follows terrain” features in X-Plane. Protip: if a runway curves downward at one end to follow the slope of a hill, land from the other end!

And then maybe a little Elite Dangerous, just noodling around to keep the skills in practice, and some Endless Legend for relaxation between flight time.